HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coots: Sean Couturier

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
So Couturier is like dominant in the FO circle now. 54.2% which would probably be Top 10 at some point. Giroux @ 51.2%

Old
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
So with Coots excellent improvement in FOs, that should earn him some more offensive zone draws, right? I would hope. Hopefully that allows the offense to grow.

11-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Primary Assist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It hurts to even read Couturier trade jokes because I know there are people in this city that hate his guts and think he's a bust.
It's not that people hate him; the bottom line is that one expects more from the 8th pick in the draft. The guy has so little offensive instincts, and is an abjectly poor skater. My God, the terrific young defenseman Jonas Brodin was available when they chose Couturier, who is already a star.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
It's not that people hate him; the bottom line is that one expects more from the 8th pick in the draft. The guy has so little offensive instincts, and is an abjectly poor skater. My God, the terrific young defenseman Jonas Brodin was available when they chose Couturier, who is already a star.
Yeah, Brodin is excellent. Reread Appleyard's synopsis of previous draft picks from 7-10, or whatever his sample was, from previous draft years. They could've done a lot worse than Couturier.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Ugh..people railing on Coots really give me an ulcer...

Old
11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Ugh..people railing on Coots really give me an ulcer...
It's like people ignore statistics and pretend defense doesn't matter. The fact you have a defensively gifted center with above average faceoff skills (and only getting better) at age 20 is the exact opposite of a bust. The offense can (and will, IMO) come with more playing time. I mean, the fact people grill Homer for giving up on JVR so early while at the same time hating Sean Couturier... What!?

Old
11-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Funf

Quote:
It's like people ignore statistics and pretend defense doesn't matter. The fact you have a defensively gifted center with above average faceoff skills (and only getting better) at age 20 is the exact opposite of a bust. The offense can (and will, IMO) come with more playing time. I mean, the fact people grill Homer for giving up on JVR so early while at the same time hating Sean Couturier... What!?
Exactly. The way he reads the game clearly shows on defense, and, IMO, as he becomes more confident with the puck, and more assertive, we'll start seeing the same thing in his offensive game.

Let's not forget that he put up near PPG numbers in the AHL last year as a 19 year old.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
You should review 8th overall draft picks from previous years. Let us know how many of them can do what Couturier does.

11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I'd like to see Schenn-Couturier-Lecavelier at some point just to try out.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
PhillyPhaithful

Leave Couturier alone please, do your research and understand how well he is actually performing. This thread has some people that really frustrate me with their blind distaste of him. He is excellent for us and is only 20 years old.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:56 AM
PhillyPhaithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I'd like to see Schenn-Couturier-Lecavelier at some point just to try out.
I think him an Vinny on a line would be very interesting offensively, for numerous reasons. Couts (with Vinny's shot, creativity and experience) I think would do very, very well with him. Yet defensively this line would destroy the great thing we have with the 3rd line centered by Couts, which is a shut down line you can basically rely on day in and day out.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:59 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
I can't believe how many people come down on a 20yr old like Couts.
Give the guy some time, it took Giroux around 22yrs old to start scoring consistently.

Last edited by FlyersFanz: 11-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
StoneHands

Just getting around to posting this but Couturier was awesome on Saturday night. It's not often that you can say a forward dominates a game while not posting a point but Couts was everywhere defensively and I honestly believe that without him there's no way they limit NJ to 14 shots and post a shutout. He broke up so many plays and won so many battles along the boards. I've noticed him taking a lot of important draws and winning them too. I'd like to see him get some more PP time just to get his offensive confident up a bit but his defensive insticts are awesome. He reads the play so well and is really poised with the puck in his own end and when the puck is on his stick you know it's getting out of the zone unlike 90% of the rest of the team.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:13 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I know one thing...because Couts and Read are on the PK is the reason why the Flyers are in the top 10 PK% this year. These guys are pure shutdown penalty killers that know how to get that puck out of the Flyers zone.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhaithful View Post
Leave Couturier alone please, do your research and understand how well he is actually performing. This thread has some people that really frustrate me with their blind distaste of him. He is excellent for us and is only 20 years old.
It's just as bad as the people who bashed Carter because he didn't hit often.

Eventually I expect to see people leveling that against Couturier.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

But he so big!

Old
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

I don't care if he hits, he isn't that type of player. I want him to protect the puck much more using his frame, and from what I saw he is doing it more the last couple of games. He continues this, he will start producing offensively because he will create more time and space for himself.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I don't care if he hits, he isn't that type of player. I want him to protect the puck much more using his frame, and from what I saw he is doing it more the last couple of games. He continues this, he will start producing offensively because he will create more time and space for himself.
This is something I've noticed he did a lot during his rookie season, but hardly at all last year. Good to see it coming back.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
MP92

Quote:
What the hell has he done to be considered a star? If he's a star, Couturier is as well.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
What the hell has he done to be considered a star? If he's a star, Couturier is as well.
Don't know? Brodin has 6pts in 12 games this season and 11pts in 45 games last season..don't see any star status there.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:09 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Don't know? Brodin has 6pts in 12 games this season and 11pts in 45 games last season..don't see any star status there.
Yeah, me neither. Not saying he won't be down the road, but he isn't right now.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Coots TOI:

11:23
15:19
15:56
18:31
18:13
17:53
18:01
18:29
20:07
20:03
17:41
18:37
21:50

Definitely seeing a trend.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Coots TOI:

11:23
15:19
15:56
18:31
18:13
17:53
18:01
18:29
20:07
20:03
17:41
18:37
21:50

Definitely seeing a trend.
Good. Give him all the ice time. The fact that people are still hating his play despite the fact that he's been doing everything besides scoring is baffling.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Good. Give him all the ice time. The fact that people are still hating his play despite the fact that he's been doing everything besides scoring is baffling.
I'm not surprised at all. Remember, there were a LOT of people who hated how Carter played (not just the off-ice stuff, his actual freaking play!), and he did everything including scoring.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:27 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I'm not surprised at all. Remember, there were a LOT of people who hated how Carter played (not just the off-ice stuff, his actual freaking play!), and he did everything including scoring.
I don't know if I've seen a player receive full praise (as in the entire fanbase liking him) like... ever?

Closed Thread