HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
As for making the playoffs, I think they are a number one d-man away from being able to achieve that goal. I don't think this is that year, but I expect them to be in the mix before the end of the season.
Just keep regurgitating this line year after year. You do realize it has been 6 years since we made the playoffs right? The old 'rebuild' target keeps moving. It suddenly is 5 full years before the team has any expectation whatsoever at all of being anywhere near the playoffs now.

To get a #1 Dmen means we deal top end players.....then we will be a few top end players away for contending.

Old
10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
I expect them to put together enough wins that they'll be closer to the playoffs than last place.

I don't even know what this means.

11 games
If you fall on your ass totally for any 10-11 game stretch in this league you are almost screwed.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
I wont give up on the team and they do seem to compete harder then seasons past. But realistically playoff hopes r pretty much sunk, even being close is unlikely. Its clear from watching; on most nights the other team is simply too much for them.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 0
Quote:
The past is a sunk cost.
The future should be considered a sunk cost until proven otherwise.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola1279 View Post
It really boggles the mind doesn't it. The litany of excuses or the "I didn't expect them to make the playoffs anways" are considered legitimate is downright embarrassing. Take a look at the standing again, we are last in the Western Conference and you are okay with that. Sorry Moose, telling us you didn't expect the playoffs while criticizing those of us who at least hoped the team would be better and challenging this year is a bit hypocritical don't you think.
You guys don't get what he's telling you. It's 11 games a team that may finish in the 7-11 range isn't immune to this kind of slump, especially learning a new aggressive system. You're expectations aren't in line with reality, the reasonable expectation was for the Oilers to compete for the last playoff spot. To be in that next tier of teams, not bottom feeders but not contenders. It's 11 games and the kind of teams contending for the last playoff spot have these kind of stretches, this is a team that ought to improve as the year goes on and they gain familiarity and get players back from injury.

The Oilers were expected to struggle at times, they have had injury problems, and the goaltending hurt them early. The special teams have been far worse than what's reasonable to expect over the course of a season. They have a terrible PDO and have been snakebit at times, like in Washington. We know from previous history that the first 11 games isn't a sign of everything, in 11-12 they were 7-2-2, and that season was a disaster still. It's 11 games the Oilers have plenty of time to go on streaks of their own. 1/8th of the season doesn't define it, some teams this early will be outliers in the positive (Colorado) and in the negative (Edmonton). As the sample size increases these outliers tend to move to the mean one way or the either. In Edmonton's case i think the bounces just need to start evening out. Edmonton will be much better than they are IMO, it's just not reasonable for things to stay this bad in some area's. Some of you are pushing the panic button way too early because you somehow expected instant results, when it doesn't always happen that way.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Broilers

What keeps me watching this team

1. I want to see where we are at the point of 28 games. Then more than 1/3 of the season is played. If we are 4 points or less behind the play off spot. I keep going

2. I am probably watching the team beyond 28 games to see what it is capable doing when it is healthy

3. If the team can't turn the direction around when it is healthy I am going to see only trading deadline headlines to see as many veterans to be moved as possible.

It is a sad sad thing that Burke is in Calgary. He would have been justified replacement to Kevin Lowe who is responsible for causing this mess. If Oilers are sucking lottery balls again, I will not come back next season, not even if Dallas and Craig are removed now I want the head of the guy who is responsible to bring in inexperienced GMs and poor coaches.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:34 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
I've been cheering for this team for a quarter of a century and roughly 90% of it has been quite stressful as a hardcore fan. It's finally kicking in that I may be wasting my life away - cheering, hoping and eventually being disappointed & stressed over the failures of this team.

I am now at a crossroad. May start missing a few games on tv for the first time in many years so I can take a break from the main negativity in my life. I can better use more free time to hang out with my kids. This should be a positive step to get away from my Oilers addiction.
Probably for the best. I'm going to let them tease my fandom for the next 3 games. If they lose two of the next three then I'm gonna go follow the CHL a bit more.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Broilers

Now we are 8pts behind the playoff spot. West teams hve kept winning East teams which means that it may take as may as 100 pts to make play offs in the west see the article

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/3...t-season-berth

That means that we need to play 1.35 hockey rest of the year, means 46 games from the 68 games. It is hard uphill battle ahead.

Old
11-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Broilers

It seems to me that season is over. I was planning to see first 28 games but it is really painful to watch these games. I really hope that Kevin Lowe will be fired and somebody starts to rebuilding the team. This time we need to change the whole management.

I just can't believe how is it possible that everything went as it went.

Old
11-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50

Old
11-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

YES another "the oilers are ******" thread!

Old
11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Your are right I am in the confusion and not really know what to do with my time.
Oilers organization might be in the confusion too. there are two options

1. They have cause this seasons mess by purpose. They wanted to tank one more year but communicated us false hope so we would by season tickets

2. They caused the mess of the season unintentionally because of inability to run the hockey club

Case 2 is worse since there is no hope for improvement before the leadership (Lowe, Mactavish, Eakins, Ference) of the hockey club is removed

Old
11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Your are right I am in the confusion and not really know what to do with my time.

1. They have cause this seasons mess by purpose. They wanted to tank one more year but communicated us false hope so we would by season tickets

2. They caused the mess of the season unintentionally because of inability to run the hockey club

Case 2 is worse since there is no hope for improvement before the leadership (Lowe, Mactavish, Eakins, Ference) of the hockey club is removed

Why assume only two options?

Old
11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post

This my friend, is what they call a false dilemma (if I remember my intro to phil class).

There is an infinite amount of possibilities, and personally I don't think it's its either of the two you suggested. The fact is that Tambellini dug this team into such a hole that it's going to take more that one summer to fix. That plus a monumental collapse in net and a ridiculous amount of injuries. The moves MacT made, for the most part, were a step in the right direction. But the biggest obstacle for this team is going to be building a winning mentality, how ever that happens.

Old
11-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Broilers

Quote:

Why assume only two options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
This my friend, is what they call a false dilemma (if I remember my intro to phil class).

There is an infinite amount of possibilities, and personally I don't think it's its either of the two you suggested. The fact is that Tambellini dug this team into such a hole that it's going to take more that one summer to fix. That plus a monumental collapse in net and a ridiculous amount of injuries. The moves MacT made, for the most part, were a step in the right direction. But the biggest obstacle for this team is going to be building a winning mentality, how ever that happens.
You are right there is infinite amount of choices. Philosophically we can define what are plausible choices. If reconsider my arguments. Third option is not necessary true but I admit that it is plausible. If that argument is true rebuilding will continue beyond this season too and I should spend this season eg studying philosophy

Old
11-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Broilers

Ilja Bryzgalov

Signing Ilja Bryzgalov was a very good move.

1. He is able to deliver Shut Outs and if he starts well here we can catch a few teams ahead of us. This is not necessary meaning we will be back on playoff hunt but at least there will be a chance to have some meaningful games ahead of us.

2. If and when playoff hunt is over we will have a sense of humor in the post game interviews.

Trading Smid was a bad move, since Ryan Smyth could have been traded too maybe not for the decent return like Horak. Anyway it was a salary dump and I hate that Smid got dumped because he has played well. Now MacT weakened d-forces which are weak enough already.

Closed Thread