HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 12:00 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Crap I forgot! Old age is really getting to me early.

I post my Blandisi notes this afternoon.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
cgf

I like that Bigras is safe offensively. With this forward core we just need our dmen to be able to reliably get the puck up ice for them, keep it in the zone and defend, and Bigras can become excellent at all of that. We'll have Barrie or Elliott on the second pairing with Hejda or Siemens by the time Bigras is playing with EJ, if he gets there, who can give us dynamism from the back if we need it, from the top pairing spot next EJ we just need reliable and secure puck moving.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:28 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Bigras will never be that guy who scores 40+ points, and that's just fine by me. People who are expecting that just because of where he was drafted need to stop, otherwise they'll build themselves up for disappointment.

He's much more valuable to us as a guy who makes safe, smart plays, and uses his stick/gap control to beat forwards. It's not like he's soft either, so getting pushed around in his own end won't be an issue.

He'll be a good #2-3 d-man who can play a ton of ES minutes or PK minutes and put up 20-35 points consistently. If on the odd chance he gets out of position, or caught pinching, he's got incredible skating ability to help cover for it and get back in time.

I'm excited for the kid, even more so than I was/am with Siemens or Elliott or Barrie.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

So Blandisi....

Well I will start off and say Ottawa is not a very good team at all. Their defense is very inexperienced (they did make a trade after this game to help that) and only had one player that had even been eligible for a draft (Nevin Guy). There were just constant turnovers and bad positioning. I'll be surprised if they end up in the OHL playoffs, and if Blandisi is on the team at the end of the season. He will be a big trading chip down the line.

Second, Konecny is going to be a big time player. Probably a top 5 or top 3 pick in 2015. He didn't score in this game but he was all over the ice and making good plays offensively. The Van Stralen-Konecny-Blandisi line is going to be a very dangerous line for as long as Van Stralen and Blandisi are around.

That line is very interesting and you can tell is specifically built around giving Konecny the biggest chance to succeed early (and it is working). Van Stralen is a big physical winger presence that is pretty much there to protect Konecny and do a lot of the board work in the offensive zone, and Blandisi is on the line to give him a solid offensive player that can play good defense as well. From what I saw Blandisi was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the defensive zone for the line. In many ways playing center in the defensive zone (even taking some draws) and RW elsewhere... basically playing the whole 200ft.

Right now, Blandisi is Ottawa's best player. He plays in every situation. He is on the top PK unit and plays most of the 2 minutes. He is on the top PP unit and sometimes on the 2nd if there is a break in the action. He probably played 22 mintues in the game on Sunday.

His SH goal was a pure thing of beauty. Blandisi poked it past the point man, read the play, skated up the ice, saw one defensemen was back, the other forward came along to make it a 2 on 1, the defensemen took the pass away, so he went to the inside edge of the right faceoff circle and just sniped puck past the goalie. I haven't seen him in person in a while, but his shot looked way better than I remembered it being.

The PP goal was pretty good as well. He took the puck off the boards and circled around the right faceoff circle and shot the puck on net from about the same spot as his first goal. It bounced off the goalie's left shoulder or glove and up in the air. Blandisi tapped the rebound home from mid-air as he was skating in.

On the PP Blandisi was playing on the right faceoff circle. He distributes the puck well there when he has lanes, but has a lot of pucks intercepted because his saucer either wasn't working that day or is isn't very good at it. His shot from that spot is deadly if he has a bit of time to get it off. I wasn't impressed with his one timer or slap shot.

On the PK he reads the play well and will break up a lot of passes. He constantly looks for an opportunity to rush the puck up and kill time in the offensive zone. On the the downside that can cause him to get out of position. He doesn't look like a willing shot blocker.

The defensive zone coverage was an absolute mess for Ottawa. Blandisi seemed to do a decent job, but he really isn't physical enough down low to be real effective defensively. Without a doubt his future is at wing as he won't be able to play effective defense as a center.

In the offensive zone he is very shifty, has good hands, and pretty solid vision. Again he is lacking strength down low to be real effective on the boards. He is decent at the junior level and effective there, but he will have some issues transitioning to the AHL. Like I said earlier if he get a chance to get his snap or wrist shot off though, it is deadly good. If he doesn't score 30g this year I will be surprised.

Overall, he looked like a low B level prospect to me. He has some potential that could be further developed. His hockey IQ was good in the offensive zone, but seemed average in the defensive zone. On offense he looks to have good enough tools to be a decent scorer a 2nd/3rd line tweener type. His defense and strength are going to be the keys to his development as he isn't going to be offensively skilled enough to get into the NHL without improving those drastically. With his frame I have some doubt.

If I had to guess now, I would say he ends up as a top line AHL player down the road and maybe finishes his career in Europe.

Old
10-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Flow

vCash: 542
Article about Agozizno and Sgarbossa on NHLs website.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
10-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 50
Monsters trailing 3-1 @ Abbotsford. Hishon scored on the powerplay!

Edit: Make it 3-2. Lerg added another goal. Less than 15 minutes to go.

Old
10-26-2013, 03:22 AM
InjuredChoker

martin had 40 save shutout against oshawa.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:30 AM
InjuredChoker

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/subway...ries-team-ohl/

bigras to play both games in subway series for ohl.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Tigervixxen

Martin had another shutout, 39 saves tonight as well.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Martin had another shutout, 39 saves tonight as well.
Wow. Two 35+ save shutouts recently, impressive.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:53 AM
InjuredChoker

mooseheads beat huskies 15-5.. drouin with only 3 points though.

bigras had a goal and - in 6-3 loss and martin made 29 saves in a 4-2 win.

Old
11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
That's "Mack"innon

Nevermind, can't get it to work.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Could somebody give me some insight on Blandisi? He's lighting the lamp all the time for Ottawa. Any shot at making it to the NHL?

Old
11-03-2013, 11:28 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Could somebody give me some insight on Blandisi? He's lighting the lamp all the time for Ottawa. Any shot at making it to the NHL?
post 704?

Old
11-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
post 704?
Oh, thanks. I was on my mobile phone and overlooked it.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:40 PM
InjuredChoker

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/subway...am-whl-roster/

bourke made the whl roster for subway series.

Old
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
InjuredChoker

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 5 min
Steelheads’ Spencer Martin Named OHL Player of the Week

Old
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Tigervixxen

That's fantastic. So nice to see our prospects doing well.

Old
11-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Really showing why Allaire was so high on him. Great start to the season for him.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:13 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Pracey is a genius.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Didnt know where to put this put.

For everyone who has been complaining about Avs not picking Frk and taking Heard in the 2nd round of 2012. Frk was sent down to the ECHL a couple of days ago.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Didnt know where to put this put.

For everyone who has been complaining about Avs not picking Frk and taking Heard in the 2nd round of 2012. Frk was sent down to the ECHL a couple of days ago.
mostly due to roster jam though. no sense playing kid fourth line minutes. not that he was particularly great.

it does take some time to adjust after playing with two elite talents in juniors, esp. as frk is neither the smartest or speediest forward. he does have to make some fairly big adjustments to his game if he wants to be successful at the next level.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Pracey is a genius.
I imagine it helps to have trained a bit with Allaire this summer too!

Old
11-11-2013, 08:23 PM
AvsfanJack

Kent Patterson is playing terrible this year. Since Milan moved up, the Cutthroats went from undefeated, to losing almost every game. Sadly, I don't see Patterson sticking around the Avs organization much longer.

Old
11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So Blandisi....

Well I will start off and say Ottawa is not a very good team at all. Their defense is very inexperienced (they did make a trade after this game to help that) and only had one player that had even been eligible for a draft (Nevin Guy). There were just constant turnovers and bad positioning. I'll be surprised if they end up in the OHL playoffs, and if Blandisi is on the team at the end of the season. He will be a big trading chip down the line.

Second, Konecny is going to be a big time player. Probably a top 5 or top 3 pick in 2015. He didn't score in this game but he was all over the ice and making good plays offensively. The Van Stralen-Konecny-Blandisi line is going to be a very dangerous line for as long as Van Stralen and Blandisi are around.

That line is very interesting and you can tell is specifically built around giving Konecny the biggest chance to succeed early (and it is working). Van Stralen is a big physical winger presence that is pretty much there to protect Konecny and do a lot of the board work in the offensive zone, and Blandisi is on the line to give him a solid offensive player that can play good defense as well. From what I saw Blandisi was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the defensive zone for the line. In many ways playing center in the defensive zone (even taking some draws) and RW elsewhere... basically playing the whole 200ft.

Right now, Blandisi is Ottawa's best player. He plays in every situation. He is on the top PK unit and plays most of the 2 minutes. He is on the top PP unit and sometimes on the 2nd if there is a break in the action. He probably played 22 mintues in the game on Sunday.

His SH goal was a pure thing of beauty. Blandisi poked it past the point man, read the play, skated up the ice, saw one defensemen was back, the other forward came along to make it a 2 on 1, the defensemen took the pass away, so he went to the inside edge of the right faceoff circle and just sniped puck past the goalie. I haven't seen him in person in a while, but his shot looked way better than I remembered it being.

The PP goal was pretty good as well. He took the puck off the boards and circled around the right faceoff circle and shot the puck on net from about the same spot as his first goal. It bounced off the goalie's left shoulder or glove and up in the air. Blandisi tapped the rebound home from mid-air as he was skating in.

On the PP Blandisi was playing on the right faceoff circle. He distributes the puck well there when he has lanes, but has a lot of pucks intercepted because his saucer either wasn't working that day or is isn't very good at it. His shot from that spot is deadly if he has a bit of time to get it off. I wasn't impressed with his one timer or slap shot.

On the PK he reads the play well and will break up a lot of passes. He constantly looks for an opportunity to rush the puck up and kill time in the offensive zone. On the the downside that can cause him to get out of position. He doesn't look like a willing shot blocker.

The defensive zone coverage was an absolute mess for Ottawa. Blandisi seemed to do a decent job, but he really isn't physical enough down low to be real effective defensively. Without a doubt his future is at wing as he won't be able to play effective defense as a center.

In the offensive zone he is very shifty, has good hands, and pretty solid vision. Again he is lacking strength down low to be real effective on the boards. He is decent at the junior level and effective there, but he will have some issues transitioning to the AHL. Like I said earlier if he get a chance to get his snap or wrist shot off though, it is deadly good. If he doesn't score 30g this year I will be surprised.

Overall, he looked like a low B level prospect to me. He has some potential that could be further developed. His hockey IQ was good in the offensive zone, but seemed average in the defensive zone. On offense he looks to have good enough tools to be a decent scorer a 2nd/3rd line tweener type. His defense and strength are going to be the keys to his development as he isn't going to be offensively skilled enough to get into the NHL without improving those drastically. With his frame I have some doubt.

If I had to guess now, I would say he ends up as a top line AHL player down the road and maybe finishes his career in Europe.
I hope this kid can get it together, we need good wing prospects. Alot of the things you mention is correctable. He needs a good coaching staff and trainers to help him develop his body. He isn't getting that in Ottawa. Thanks for the scouting report tho, I don't get to see too much of this kid play.

Closed Thread