HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2013, 09:07 PM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Unlike yourself, most fans are very devoted and passionate and the Oilers are a big part of their lives. They are the ones who have every right to be pissed off.
I'm not trying to be confrontational here, but you couldn't possibly be more wrong. I've been an Oiler fan since 1979. I had seasons tickets for several years. I now live in another country so the best I can do is follow this site (and other internet sources) everyday and buy center ice online. You get to watch games with your buddies in the bar, or maybe even atend in person if you choose. I wake up in the middle of the night to watch games alone on the internet - and you are questioning my dedication? I stated earlier in this thread that I will never stop watching and cheering for the Oilers. I think you need to question the dedication of fans who want to walk away from a team because its at the low point in its history. Some fans have actually said they wont watch until the team starts winning, or makes the playoffs or whatever. Does that spell dedication in your world? Spells bandwagoner where I come from.

Call these players a pack of losers if that's what they are (and I won't argue at all) but don't quit, or threaten to quit and then have the nerve to say that you are quitting because you are such a devoted and passionate fan. That doesn't even make sense.

Furthermore, I question the bolded section of your post. Its not accurate. "Most" fans of the Oilers couldn't even name the full roster. This site caters to hardcore fans. We are far from representative of the general fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
If you're making millions you should have to earn it, end of discussion.
Absolutely. I'm in favor of fans - especially the ones who paid good money to sit in the seats - booing the travesty that is the current on ice product. Please go ahead and criticize the team cause they stink and they deserve it. But don't threaten to quit. And don't make emo posts about how bad life is since we are poorly entertained. Nobody on the team cares about us. Nuge isn't bringing the Cup to your house if we win it. We aren't involved beyond the point of being a consumer for an entertainment product.

Last edited by harpoon: 11-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:02 AM
redgrant

I think everyone reaches their breaking point next game when Florida speedbangs the oilers 4-0 and we get a thumping 17 shots.

redgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Up the Irons

I haven't watched a single second of the last 2 games. Watched NBA and MMA last night and it was OK. didn't watch any NFL today, either. did go watch the Golden Bears volleyball on Friday, which was great.

Inexplicably, the Oilers (and the Esks) are turning me off of sports. I just don't care to watch much anymore.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Sheeshta

I broke this summer. When it became clear how absolutely out of touch Lowe was during the MacT hiring presser (to say nothing of the fact that the org hired another rookie GM, who hired a rookie coach), I lost all hope.

His reaction to being criticized—not even the 6 rings thing, but the astonished look on his face when a reporter implied that he might somehow be responsible for any lack of success—was all the confirmation I needed to know that from the top on down there is absolutely no real institutional desire to win.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:41 PM
SometimesY

Shudder to think of what it must have been like for Winnipeg all those years without a team...we will come through this eventually, and I will keep hoping for wins.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Good post, harpoon.

I think smackdaddy might be framing you as a little distant. I can see that interpretation. Good on you for clarifying.

The local pressure is quite a bit more suffocating than it may seem to out of towners, though. All of the media, the water cooler talk, the sports bars, everything is just so invasive that you can't really tune out the Oilers for long. And it can be incredibly aggravating that the local pride is a doormat club. Perhaps we need to give each other the room to vent, to threaten to walk away, to curse the team. It's a dark, remote, cold Edmonton winter. If hating this team brings people together, so be it. Just my two cents, not at anyone in particular.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:41 PM
MrOiler

I say good riddance to the fair weather fans. Weak, whiny, drama queens.

"My hallergy to those ****ing fans, you know, has returned."

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:47 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I'm not goin anywhere, rebuilds take time.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
EDMOilers1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'm not trying to be confrontational here, but you couldn't possibly be more wrong. I've been an Oiler fan since 1979. I had seasons tickets for several years. I now live in another country so the best I can do is follow this site (and other internet sources) everyday and buy center ice online. You get to watch games with your buddies in the bar, or maybe even atend in person if you choose. I wake up in the middle of the night to watch games alone on the internet - and you are questioning my dedication? I stated earlier in this thread that I will never stop watching and cheering for the Oilers. I think you need to question the dedication of fans who want to walk away from a team because its at the low point in its history. Some fans have actually said they wont watch until the team starts winning, or makes the playoffs or whatever. Does that spell dedication in your world? Spells bandwagoner where I come from.

Call these players a pack of losers if that's what they are (and I won't argue at all) but don't quit, or threaten to quit and then have the nerve to say that you are quitting because you are such a devoted and passionate fan. That doesn't even make sense.

Furthermore, I question the bolded section of your post. Its not accurate. "Most" fans of the Oilers couldn't even name the full roster. This site caters to hardcore fans. We are far from representative of the general fan.

Absolutely. I'm in favor of fans - especially the ones who paid good money to sit in the seats - booing the travesty that is the current on ice product. Please go ahead and criticize the team cause they stink and they deserve it. But don't threaten to quit. And don't make emo posts about how bad life is since we are poorly entertained. Nobody on the team cares about us. Nuge isn't bringing the Cup to your house if we win it. We aren't involved beyond the point of being a consumer for an entertainment product.

You could not have said that any better....I live in ottawa and stay up past midnight watching games online or on center ice and get up at 630am to get ready for work etc....The people who say they will watch when they are winning are not the real fans. The poeple who stick through all this losing and embarassment are the real fans. Sure, I am as peeved as the next guy, but I am a fan. I am not going to swicth over to cheer for the Pens because crosby is an amazing player and the team is stacked. I'm possessional of the oilers. I am jealous when other teams win and we lose.....When we start winning it will be nice to have earned that right of people to be jealous of us!!!!

EDMOilers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
EDMOilers1984

My breaking point as a fan: When the team is no longer in existence......Go Oilers Go!

EDMOilers1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
dem

Oiy.. Even if we had a couple more wins it wouldn't be so bleak..

..but we are so behind at this point. We could win 5 games in a row and we are still in the *******.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:52 AM
AJGass4

My breaking point is when the players put in a half assed effort and I witnessed that Saturday night.

What a bunch of babies, when the going gets tough, *** dig in and work hard to get out of it. I saw a bunch of wounded birds on Saturday night with their feelings hurt.

Grow up and play hockey.

Last edited by AJGass4: 11-04-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: error
AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:29 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

The concept of a fan who stays "committed" to a team having some intrinsic value greater than a "bandwagon" fan is interesting to me.

I think it depends why one watches sports in the first place.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMOilers1984 View Post
You could not have said that any better....I live in ottawa and stay up past midnight watching games online or on center ice and get up at 630am to get ready for work etc....The people who say they will watch when they are winning are not the real fans. The poeple who stick through all this losing and embarassment are the real fans. Sure, I am as peeved as the next guy, but I am a fan. I am not going to swicth over to cheer for the Pens because crosby is an amazing player and the team is stacked. I'm possessional of the oilers. I am jealous when other teams win and we lose.....When we start winning it will be nice to have earned that right of people to be jealous of us!!!!
To each their own.

I feel the kind of allegiance your feeling, towards the Bentley Generals. They're my "home town team" whom I grew up cheering for & if the day should ever come where they have a losing record...I will remain loyal to them. Thing is...that's a totally different type of respect I have for the Gens' than what I do towards ANY NHL team.

I hold professional players...even the Oilers...to a different standard than the Bentley Generals.

I don't go to Gens' games expecting 18 skaters to play near-perfect hockey. Sometimes...they do it anyways...but for the most part...I just respect what they are out there doing...as "working Joes".

The Oilers have all day to be ready to play, they get paid to be ready to play and they are supposed to play to a level which exceeds any other.

The Oilers fail to do this. They are....make no mistake...fully capable of losing to an AHL team on some nights. To be fair...there are a few other NHL teams who have SUNK to this sad state/level.

But damned if Im going to accept it as "my duty" to live & die with this ********.

Go Gens!

Go Pens!

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMOilers1984 View Post
Sorry but that's crap. I'll start watching again when I don't just feel pissed off after five minutes of watching terrible uninspired hockey.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Perfect_Drug

The way I see it.

If you are paying money for Oilers paraphernalia, or contributing to ratings of these uninspired hockey games, YOU ARE SUPPORTING KEVIN LOWE AND THE OILERS MANAGEMENT.

Do you realise how utterly stupid this is?

Would you regularly go a restaurant with horrible chefs, terrible food/services at a PREMIUM price, and just hope over enough time the food and service will start to get better?

IF YOU ARE PAYING THEM THE PREMIUM PRICES THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM TO CHANGE ANYTHING!

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Slatsmsg

I voted I bleed copper and blue .... and do. Am I upset with this team? You bet. I am going to try to take the game against Detroit (and the previous two) as positives.

To recap:
- we started the season without RNH and Gags, top two centers.
- our bottom 6 is all new, save Smyth, who has been injured of late
- 2 of the starting 6 defence are new to us this season on any given night, Ference (who I think has been overhyped in terms of what he was going to bring), Belov (who most nights is a pleasant surprise, but now injured).... we really didn't add that much to the blue line
- organizational nepotism. Not to suggest that some of the players/management shouldn't necessarily be here its just that the prevailing thought is that our management is an old boys club (which it is) and are not necessarily here based upon merit but rather the relationships. Steve Smith, Buchberger...these guys have been here through the losing era and are constants, we need changes there to bring in new energy. Will Acton/ Keith Acton
- coaching changes every year, new systems, do they fit our players style of play? Does the style of play being implemented translate from the AHL to the NHL? Our PK and PP are brutal this year where it used to be a strength.
-where is the leadership? Say what you will about Horcoff but check out their record with/without him last year
- MacT actively, and overtly, searching for goaltending in the offseason, vote of confidence for Dubnyk How much pressure was on him coming in? Knowing the Oilers made a hard play for Schneider at the draft...DD was going to struggle out of the gate unless he couldn't read or hear
I expected a crap start, I am disappointed to be sure, but I expected it wouldn't be great. Of the first month, I believe 75% of our games were against teams that made the playoffs last year.
So we have hit rock bottom, good, we needed to. Expectations are now tempered, only one direction to go. I hope they quit feeling sorry for themselves, they quit sitting on excuses and just go and play.

Gets off soap box

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

I voted "I bleed copper and blue". Might bother some but any other response = casual/part time fan status to me. Edit- I should add though that the meltdowns on here are hilarious enough to make up for the fact that I can't browse this board without my volume muted because of the damn auto play ads.

That said although I have no intention of ever switching teams no matter how much they suck, this is the year where the losing has started to change my attitude towards the game in general. Instead of racing home every night to catch the pre game show I often find myself more willing to go out with friends instead or just have the game on in the background while I'm studying.
If things turned around or the right people lost their jobs I'd probably perk up pretty quick, but for now the losses are pushing me further way from hockey in general as I won't cheer for any other teams.

Anyways probably starting to ramble now, but I'll just say I'm thankful that my NFL team the Seahawks are doing well because without it I'd have nothing going for me as a sports fan lol.

Last edited by Connor McOilers: 11-04-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Slats432

Will be a fan forever. That said, I do somewhat enjoy the meltdowns since at the end of the day, it is only a hockey game/team.

My life isn't defined by the Oilers results.

What pisses me off the most is the performance of this team eliminates our ability to get into lively banter with other team's fans because the Oilers over most of the last decade are indefensible.

"Man do your Oilers suck."
"Well, yes...yes they do."

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:30 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
here is a question not quite thread worthy

How many more top 5 or ten picks do the oilers need to get things right?

Last edited by jumptheshark: 11-04-2013 at 03:36 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
here is a question not quite thread worthy

How many more top 5 or ten picks do the oilers need to get things right?
0. How many more will we get is a different question. We needs vets, not lottery picks

11-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

vCash: 522
That fat tub of **** Bob Stauffer just said Oilers fans are fickle.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

I will always love my Oilers and because of this I am frustrated as hell with the way the team is managed and plays.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
That fat tub of **** Bob Stauffer just said Oilers fans are fickle.
Umm.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Umm.

To be fair, they clearly are not fickle when it comes to an irrational hate for Bob.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote