HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie (concussion) is probable (Nov. 12); Raffl (flu); Newbury sent to AHL (Nov. 10)

Old
11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Who was the last Flyer to get concussed in a fight?
Wasn't it Bourdon or was that still with the Phantoms.. I don't remember.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
Good job responding.
About as good a job as one can do whilst ignoring some obvious truths, I suppose.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Who was the last Flyer to get concussed in a fight?
Wasn't it Bourdon or was that still with the Phantoms.. I don't remember.
Regardless of who it was, this so closely parallels Fedoruk's second stint with the Flyers, and its rather abrupt ending, that I have trouble believing this season will end on a different note than it started.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:32 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yes because thats all Downie is is a goon.
bringing up something that happened what 6 years ago. really?
you seem to be a little lost. go away.
You don't think past behaviour is a good indicator of how he may have reacted?

All I'm saying is not everyone would have let up the way Volpatti did (possibly not even Downie himself), and I think he deserves a ton of credit for doing so. It's good to see players have respect for the well being of their opponents, even in battle.

Injuries are never good to see. Hopefully he gets back to 100% and on the ice sometime soon.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Your fanbase would have been just as pumped up if your team had as horrific a start as the Flyers have, were getting blown out, and finally showed some fight, either literal or on the scoreboard.

ANY fanbase would have been pumped. So you can and should drop the condescending "holier than thou" garbage. Especially since you belong to a fanbase that defended Matt Freaking Cooke, one of the dirtiest players in the league. Your **** stinks just as much as any other fanbase.
Also he can relate on the subject....

...but I'm sure it was great leadership in this instance.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Your fanbase would have been just as pumped up if your team had as horrific a start as the Flyers have, were getting blown out, and finally showed some fight, either literal or on the scoreboard.

ANY fanbase would have been pumped. So you can and should drop the condescending "holier than thou" garbage. Especially since you belong to a fanbase that defended Matt Freaking Cooke, one of the dirtiest players in the league. Your **** stinks just as much as any other fanbase.
Not sure how I didn't see this until someone else quoted it, but I'd like to respond.

Probably fair to say first that I am not a fan of fighting in the game at all, period. I much prefer to watch the skill players do what only a few on the planet can. I'm probably a bit older than most here and got to grow up in the Gretzky/Lemieux era. Never once did I hope to see Gretzky get beat up or hurt, ever.

I watched the Pens get embarrassed during the ECF against the Bruins and never did I think it would be a good idea to just start a brawl and hope that changed things up, so your first point, while directed at an entire fanbase, is misplaced if aimed at me.

Secondly, you will never find anywhere that I defended the actions of Matt Cooke. Did I root for him when he tried to turn things around, sure, am I ever going to side with him over what happened to Marc Savard? Certainly not.

I would love for the NHL to get rid of fighting altogether. I know that is not gonna happen and there are gonna be scenes like what happened in this game or the Pens vs NYI a couple seasons ago.

My only point was I don't think you guys have "bad luck", you have a bad GM.

Here's hoping Downie is ok and gets back to playing sooner than later.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
Not sure how I didn't see this until someone else quoted it, but I'd like to respond.

Probably fair to say first that I am not a fan of fighting in the game at all, period. I much prefer to watch the skill players do what only a few on the planet can. I'm probably a bit older than most here and got to grow up in the Gretzky/Lemieux era. Never once did I hope to see Gretzky get beat up or hurt, ever.

I watched the Pens get embarrassed during the ECF against the Bruins and never did I think it would be a good idea to just start a brawl and hope that changed things up, so your first point, while directed at an entire fanbase, is misplaced if aimed at me.

Secondly, you will never find anywhere that I defended the actions of Matt Cooke. Did I root for him when he tried to turn things around, sure, am I ever going to side with him over what happened to Marc Savard? Certainly not.

I would love for the NHL to get rid of fighting altogether. I know that is not gonna happen and there are gonna be scenes like what happened in this game or the Pens vs NYI a couple seasons ago.

You said this:

"That crowd could not have been happier during that mess last night, which was only slightly less embarrassing than the Pens/Islanders game a couple seasons ago."

Do you deny that the Pens fanbase also defended Matt Cooke? Don't throw blanket accusations at a fanbase based on the actions of a few. Your fanbase has had plenty of embarrassing moments of their own, I assure you.

11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
You said this:

"That crowd could not have been happier during that mess last night, which was only slightly less embarrassing than the Pens/Islanders game a couple seasons ago."
Find me a building in the NHL with a fanbase worth a damn that wouldn't be going nuts when there's multiple fights going on including a goalie fight. Just because the OP doesn't like fighting doesn't mean everybody else has fall in line.

Old
11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Find me a building in the NHL with a fanbase worth a damn that wouldn't be going nuts when there's multiple fights going on including a goalie fight. Just because the OP doesn't like fighting doesn't mean everybody else has fall in line.
Right. And calling one fanbase embarassing when your own would do the exact same thing? Especially when there has been almost nothing to cheer for during the season.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Also he can relate on the subject....

...but I'm sure it was great leadership in this instance.
almost everyday somebody posts something that makes me dislike Cindy C. even more..

i would have thought by now it was impossible for me to have any less respect for this him..

jumps a guy, given him absolutely no clue hes about to fight...

my god Cindy is a gutless ****...

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:54 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

Why didn't Gretzky get beat up? Here's one reason:

Here's another:

And yet ...

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
almost everyday somebody posts something that makes me dislike Cindy C. even more..

i would have thought by now it was impossible for me to have any less respect for this him..

It's basically the same thing people are *****ing about Emery for. That should be posted every time a Pens fan wants to take a shot at the Flyers or Emery for what happened the other night.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

Dude, I'm not big crosby fan, but you are reaching. Yes he does dirty ****, but you should notice that a large portion of this league does the same thing. That includes the Flyers. One of the most undisciplined teams in the league.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Dude, I'm not big crosby fan, but you are reaching. Yes he does dirty ****, but you should notice that a large portion of this league does the same thing. That includes the Flyers. One of the most undisciplined teams in the league.
Being undisciplined isn't the same thing as being dirty. They take a lot of penalties but I can't remember any that would be considered dirty or something worthy of suspension in a while.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:57 PM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidityKills View Post
Surprised Emery didn't hurt his hand!
emery was being a bully, never fight someone who doesn't want to fight, this should be the norm in life in general,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:01 PM
apadilla

clean checks should not evolve into fights, downie fought the unnecessary fight, and paid for it, unfortunately,

Old
11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
pacehimself

The hit on read was a slew foot if I'm not mistaken....it wasn't called but it definately looked like one

pacehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:10 PM
FlyersFan61290

Beleive it or not, Downie is lucky. It could have been much worse. If he saw this coming his way he would have been taken off the ice on a stretcher.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadilla View Post
clean checks should not evolve into fights, downie fought the unnecessary fight, and paid for it, unfortunately,
It definitely looked like a slew foot or at least the way Read went tumbling it did.

It's also hard for a player to decipher what's clean or not when the games being played at a high speed unlike us who get a slow breakdown replay on the tv.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
It definitely looked like a slew foot or at least the way Read went tumbling it did.

It's also hard for a player to decipher what's clean or not when the games being played at a high speed unlike us who get a slow breakdown replay on the tv.
It was definitely a cheap slewfoot. Pity Downie got hurt but Read could've been seriously hurt.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

im pissed this happened i was so excited to see downie back in the orange and black

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
You said this:

Do you deny that the Pens fanbase also defended Matt Cooke? Don't throw blanket accusations at a fanbase based on the actions of a few. Your fanbase has had plenty of embarrassing moments of their own, I assure you.
Yes, I said that and I hope you read it in the context I meant it. I used the word embarrassing toward the incident that happened between the Pens and Isle, not towards the fans applauding either event.

Old
11-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Whale Mingo

I know there are fans who enjoy that part of the game, I just don't understand why nor am I one of them.

I don't go to a baseball game hoping for a bench clearing brawl either, but I accept that for some reason that brings the crowd to it's feet as well. Had Tanner Glass beat up Lucic or Charo (not that he could) during the ECF's last year it would not have put a bright spot on the series for me.

Watch hockey or watch UFC, not both at the same time.

Old
11-05-2013, 08:42 AM
apadilla

Quote:

First comment: I only saw one view of it and it showed both players hitting the boards, with Read falling down, it looked harmless, but ...

Second is well taken,

Old
11-05-2013, 08:47 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I know there are fans who enjoy that part of the game, I just don't understand why nor am I one of them.

I don't go to a baseball game hoping for a bench clearing brawl either, but I accept that for some reason that brings the crowd to it's feet as well. Had Tanner Glass beat up Lucic or Charo (not that he could) during the ECF's last year it would not have put a bright spot on the series for me.

Watch hockey or watch UFC, not both at the same time.
I don't go to baseball games hoping to see a fight either, but then again, fights aren't ingrained into the very fabric of the game.