Notices

Xcel Energy Center - Upgrades/Updates + Arena Experience

Old
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
bear1

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
So you don't watch replays? You don't watch anything on the display? Wow, probably because its terrible and you can't see anything. Believe it or not, die hard fans like to watch replays and entertaining videos. What are you going to do in between periods? There is a lot of action then, huh?
Sure I do I can see just fine. Entertaining videos come on. Cant you entertain your self for god sakes without some video distraction?

bear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
bear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bunyan View Post
I also get to the games before the gates open, and I'll go to my seat and watch the East Coast games as they play them on the screen amongst other things too --- and I go to 15 something games a season.

We can ***** about how sports have become "events" for casual fans all we want, but as you remarked previously, this is a thread on how to improve an in game experience, not how sports are being ruined in this country.

I mean, we can't go back in a time machine to the 1970s (or go to rinks like Johnstown) for old time hockey, that doesn't exist really anywhere anymore.
Its not sports its entertainment for a lot of people but I couldnt care less to each his or her own. Sports aren't ruining the country Washington is doing that. Johnstown oldtime hockey LOL you watch too much slapshot

Old
06-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Its not sports its entertainment for a lot of people but I couldnt care less to each his or her own. Sports aren't ruining the country Washington is doing that. Johnstown oldtime hockey LOL you watch too much slapshot
This is going to put the thread off topic, so I won't go down the sports entertainment argument line.

HOWEVER, I've been to the War Memorial in Johnstown. I went there in 2011 when Wheeling played Toledo, we did a big road trip, and our seats were on the glass behind the goal. Your feet start where the glass begins, which is about halfway above the net so I could talk over the glass and scream at players, and all that. We sat on metal chairs next to the goal judge who was sitting on the same metal chairs as we were, the goal lamp on the other end of the rink was a Bud Light sign (no joke).

That's the most "old school" type of just hockey that you'll get now.

Half the scoreboard from like 1975 didn't work, so you had no idea who had penalties or what the score was for one team.

We just sat there, in probably the best seats I've ever been in or ever will be in during my life time, watched the game, during the game that end is also a bar, where people just go behind the one row of chairs we were in, so we talked old school hockey with people from the area and stayed about two hours afterwards doing that and then walked out into a blizzard and back to the hotel.

It was one of the best experiences of my life, but now it's all marketing at those levels. Johnstown is a relic, a time and a place that looks like it hadn't changed for 40 years (even though they put in new seats from when they filmed the movie).

That's what you are looking for, but it doesn't really exist anymore, except there or amateur teams or things that are so low level they can't afford to do it.

Paul Bunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

If they put me in charge of game presentation (and really, they should ) here would be my first priorities for improvement:
- New HD scoreboard, which would always show the game during play and which would focus on replays of important/controversial plays during breaks
- Live organist on the Zamboni
- Set a 50/50 limit on live vs. recorded music
- Play a broader mix of genres (Pop, Classic/Hard Rock, 80s, Electronic, Alt & Garage Rock, ...Disco?), and emphasize local acts, instead of just constant top 40.
- Pick a unique and distinctive, preferably local, goal song (I vote "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince but we've had this topic many times and there are lots of good choices)
- Turn out the lights over the crowd during play (as much as IDGAF about the NBA, the Lakers had a pretty badass idea there)
- Mighty Mites/Timbits at the first intermission, every night
- Live local music on one of the raised corner platforms at the second intermission, every night
- Either use the greens full-time or create a new green home jersey that will age better than our originals––as much as they were cool for their time, they used a lot of design elements that already seem super dated. Ditto the reds w/ the (cool but ultimately kind of faddish) circle crest.
- Create a dedicated, permanent discount college section

Redo the game intros to be more exciting: revamp the music selections, play the damn Wild anthem, incorporate the physical space of the arena into the design (use the lighthouse, ribbon boards, etc), keep the lights lower and use more targeted lighting, use a little fog and lighting inside the tunnel as the players are coming out, use full-ice projection and possibly player tracking for video effects, etc etc etc. Look at Habs intros for an example of a team that does a good job of balancing the sense of tradition/history with some flashiness and effects.

And if we're really pushing our luck here, have Throwback Thursdays (or whichever day of the week they think it'll be the biggest sales boost) with:
- North Stars jerseys
- Two small N* logos at center ice, and only sell on-ice ads to companies that provide a vintage logo
- Dot matrix score and time
- Older music choices and higher %age organ music
This isn't a "go back to being the North Stars" thing. It's just about creating a fun night to honor their legacy

I feel like there's just so much room for improvement in ways that wouldn't cost much, would be completely uncontroversial if not well-received, and would go quite a ways toward selling more tickets and establishing the gravitas, tradition, and "legitimacy" of the team...it kind of frustrates me that nobody in the organization seems willing/able to put in what would really be a pretty small amount of effort. It's possible to do spectacle in a way that enhances the hockey instead of distracting from it.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
bear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bunyan View Post
This is going to put the thread off topic, so I won't go down the sports entertainment argument line.

HOWEVER, I've been to the War Memorial in Johnstown. I went there in 2011 when Wheeling played Toledo, we did a big road trip, and our seats were on the glass behind the goal. Your feet start where the glass begins, which is about halfway above the net so I could talk over the glass and scream at players, and all that. We sat on metal chairs next to the goal judge who was sitting on the same metal chairs as we were, the goal lamp on the other end of the rink was a Bud Light sign (no joke).

That's the most "old school" type of just hockey that you'll get now.

Half the scoreboard from like 1975 didn't work, so you had no idea who had penalties or what the score was for one team.

We just sat there, in probably the best seats I've ever been in or ever will be in during my life time, watched the game, during the game that end is also a bar, where people just go behind the one row of chairs we were in, so we talked old school hockey with people from the area and stayed about two hours afterwards doing that and then walked out into a blizzard and back to the hotel.

It was one of the best experiences of my life, but now it's all marketing at those levels. Johnstown is a relic, a time and a place that looks like it hadn't changed for 40 years (even though they put in new seats from when they filmed the movie).

That's what you are looking for, but it doesn't really exist anymore, except there or amateur teams or things that are so low level they can't afford to do it.
Very envious what a great trip. Don't get me wrong I love going to games but sometimes its more like a circus. Must be getting old.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
- Live local music on one of the raised corner platforms at the second intermission, every night
I agree 100% with everything you said, BUT I think that might make for fewer concessions, so I don't know if that one would be as smart financially.

Quote:
I feel like there's just so much room for improvement in ways that wouldn't cost much, would be completely uncontroversial if not well-received, and would go quite a ways toward selling more tickets and establishing the gravitas, tradition, and "legitimacy" of the team...it kind of frustrates me that nobody in the organization seems willing/able to put in what would really be a pretty small amount of effort. It's possible to do spectacle in a way that enhances the hockey instead of distracting from it.
Agreed 100%...this would not be a big effort and would really be huge for bringing in new STH's. The team's presentation is incredibly stale.

Yes, technically it should be all about the product on the ice, but if all I wanted to do is watch a hockey game, I can do it on TV. Live sports has to be entertainment. But I don't mean as a distraction to the game. It should enhance the game and contribute to the atmosphere.

When I first went to a Wild game in 2006, it was incredibly exciting. 15-20 games later, it's worn off a lot. I turn down free tickets because it's a hassle to get down there and feels like they are half assing it.

Twins stepped up their game, Wolves are renovating their building, Vikings are building a new stadium...Wild need to follow suit. Updating the scoreboard and presentation will keep the place strong for another 15 years.

The building itself is still in great shape and I don't think they'll have to get a new arena in the usual 30 years...I think they can keep the X for 40, maybe 50 years. But it will have to get some updates every now and again to stay fresh.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Stopping Pucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sure I do I can see just fine. Entertaining videos come on. Cant you entertain your self for god sakes without some video distraction?
When you spend a ton of cash to go watch a hockey game in the arena, you kind of want to be entertained while the game isn't going on. The screens are so small and low resolution they are pointless to even have.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
When you spend a ton of cash to go watch a hockey game in the arena, you kind of want to be entertained while the game isn't going on. The screens are so small and low resolution they are pointless to even have.
I don't care about distractions at the BIP; I want a good feed of the game for those times when you can't see the play directly...for Game 3 of the playoffs I was sitting at the upper level drink rail in the obstructed view seats. I would have been very happy if the scoreboard was clear enough that I wouldn't have missed any of the play when the puck slipped behind the head of the guy in front of me. Likewise, if you sit in the (very expensive) seats in the bottom few rows on either end, it's almost impossible to see what's going on behind the far goal, and a decent scoreboard is a huge help. The current video board is even worse than the difference between watching hockey on SD vs. HDTV. It'd also be nice for replays and seeing what happened on, say, penalties away from the play.

It can also upgrade the X for other events. They could have viewing parties for road playoff games. Not to mention it makes the X a much more attractive concert venue. Easier to upsell bands booking who might otherwise try Roy Wilkins, and gives people a reason to pay a little more than if the same concert had booked the Target Center. This will become increasingly relevant as we see Target Field and TCF Stadium hosting more concerts, and even more so when the Cathedral of the Purple Jesus opens.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

i want an HD jumbo that displays the players larger at all viewing angles than if you were on the glass.

that is my only criteria.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:16 PM
BigT2002

Least they finally got a legit opening sequence this year. Although it was a ripoff of Chicago's

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

Quote:
If they put me in charge of game presentation (and really, they should ) here would be my first priorities for improvement:
- New HD scoreboard, which would always show the game during play and which would focus on replays of important/controversial plays during breaks
- Live organist on the Zamboni
- Set a 50/50 limit on live vs. recorded music
- Play a broader mix of genres (Pop, Classic/Hard Rock, 80s, Electronic, Alt & Garage Rock, ...Disco?), and emphasize local acts, instead of just constant top 40.
- Pick a unique and distinctive, preferably local, goal song (I vote "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince but we've had this topic many times and there are lots of good choices)
- Turn out the lights over the crowd during play (as much as IDGAF about the NBA, the Lakers had a pretty badass idea there)
- Mighty Mites/Timbits at the first intermission, every night
- Either use the greens full-time or create a new green home jersey that will age better than our originals––as much as they were cool for their time, they used a lot of design elements that already seem super dated. Ditto the reds w/ the (cool but ultimately kind of faddish) circle crest.
- Create a dedicated, permanent discount college section

Redo the game intros to be more exciting: revamp the music selections, play the damn Wild anthem, incorporate the physical space of the arena into the design (use the lighthouse, ribbon boards, etc), keep the lights lower and use more targeted lighting, use a little fog and lighting inside the tunnel as the players are coming out, use full-ice projection and possibly player tracking for video effects, etc etc etc. Look at Habs intros for an example of a team that does a good job of balancing the sense of tradition/history with some flashiness and effects.

And if we're really pushing our luck here, have Throwback Thursdays (or whichever day of the week they think it'll be the biggest sales boost) with:
- North Stars jerseys
- Two small N* logos at center ice, and only sell on-ice ads to companies that provide a vintage logo
- Dot matrix score and time
- Older music choices and higher %age organ music
This isn't a "go back to being the North Stars" thing. It's just about creating a fun night to honor their legacy

That would be incredible. Great ideas boyo.

Quote:
Very envious what a great trip. Don't get me wrong I love going to games but sometimes its more like a circus. Must be getting old.
I hear you, I'm 28 and sports has changed so much from when I was a kid in order to cater to the casual/suits rather than the "fan" or "supporter".

If you get a chance to go up there you should. They've got an NAHL Team now, so it won't be as good as ECHL hockey but it's worth a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Yes, technically it should be all about the product on the ice, but if all I wanted to do is watch a hockey game, I can do it on TV. Live sports has to be entertainment. But I don't mean as a distraction to the game. It should enhance the game and contribute to the atmosphere.

When I first went to a Wild game in 2006, it was incredibly exciting. 15-20 games later, it's worn off a lot. I turn down free tickets because it's a hassle to get down there and feels like they are half assing it.

Twins stepped up their game, Wolves are renovating their building, Vikings are building a new stadium...Wild need to follow suit. Updating the scoreboard and presentation will keep the place strong for another 15 years.
The Twins seemingly have stepped up on everything but the actual on field product, because that is the least important it seems.

I went to 15 games this season and liked the experience each time, like I say though the music if you go that many times you can predict the playlists if you go to 2-3 games in a row.

This upcoming season I'll go to about that many again and it will give me a more interesting comparison, at this level as opposed to leading fan groups where it's way more fun in the ECHL (and attending more than 30 a season) I can see how this has the potential to be much more stale after awhile. Especially with places almost devoid of emotion at times.

Paul Bunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Stopping Pucks

Any more thoughts on this?

Personally I think they really need to change the in-arena music. It's getting really old.

Last edited by Stopping Pucks: 11-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 09:33 PM
LordFletcher

- HD Scoreboard and have it running the local broadcast and during intermissions show league highlights / NHL network with the sound off so we can still watch the kids play

- Music / new goal song, hire Avicii and have him make something exclusive and bad a$$

- Lights heavily dimmed during play and brightened back during home goals

- Organ zamboni with a mad man playing the hell out of it!

- Have the end sections be for ROWDY fans, lower and upper levels.

- New food. get rid of the crap pretzels and cheap foods. If we have to pay $5-6 for crap, we may as well pay $8-9 for something good

- add more urinals to the bathrooms, something... sick of constant lines during obvious times

- Giveaways each and every night. Signed pucks from warm-ups post game, anything that clearly doesn't cost the team much but the fan values greatly

*****I'll keep adding in an edit as I think of more ideas.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:39 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
- HD Scoreboard and have it running the local broadcast and during intermissions show league highlights / NHL network with the sound off so we can still watch the kids play

- Music / new goal song, hire Avicii and have him make something exclusive and bad a$$

- New food. get rid of the crap pretzels and cheap foods. If we have to pay $5-6 for crap, we may as well pay $8-9 for something good

- add more urinals to the bathrooms, something... sick of constant lines during obvious times

- Giveaways each and every night. Signed pucks from warm-ups post game, anything that clearly doesn't cost the team much but the fan values greatly

There's nothing worse than watching a dim arena on TV.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
There's nothing worse than watching a dim arena on TV.
Not being able to see the crowd very well after the 5th row or so...

Why would anyone care?

I know this would never happen because of "home ice advantage" I just think it would be kind of cool if the crowd wasn't as lit up as the rink

Old
11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Stopping Pucks

Quote:

Some really good ideas, but this is my favorite. Avicii is one of my favorite artists.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Exciting news, folks! I can report as an eyewitness that the Zamboni Organist was present and rocking out at the game last night.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Stopping Pucks

Quote:
Exciting news, folks! I can report as an eyewitness that the Zamboni Organist was present and rocking out at the game last night.
Hell yeah!

Old
11-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Nharris31

Russo wrote in his blog this summer that leipold wanting to Update the screen.

Nharris31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Stopping Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nharris31 View Post
Russo wrote in his blog this summer that leipold wanting to Update the screen.
I think I read that too, but not much was said about it. I hope it's soon! Would be cool if they updated it during the Olympic break or something.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:49 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Some really good ideas, but this is my favorite. Avicii is one of my favorite artists.
How ridonk would that be!!!

Have you seen him live yet? If not, plan a Vegas trip for him, so BOMB!

Old
11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:
I think I read that too, but not much was said about it. I hope it's soon! Would be cool if they updated it during the Olympic break or something.
I think we would know about it by now if it was going to happen then. This summer or next seems most likely.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Stopping Pucks

Quote:
How ridonk would that be!!!

Have you seen him live yet? If not, plan a Vegas trip for him, so BOMB!
Haven't yet, I hope to see him eventually.

Hey.. idea.... Wild should get Avicii to DJ every home game. That would be sick.

Old
11-06-2013, 01:07 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Haven't yet, I hope to see him eventually.

Hey.. idea.... Wild should get Avicii to DJ every home game. That would be sick.
We would have to relocate to Vegas or Sweden for him to agree but I would follow if we had Avicii playing a Zamboni with turn tables HAHA!

Old
11-06-2013, 09:14 AM
HobeyBroten

Quote:

I like the idea of having better music as well, but I would strongly suggest getting a different variety of artists. Why not put music on that the players prefer? How many of the Wild guys listen to club/disco/miley cyrus $**t? If you watch other games on NBCSN or when we are the visiting team, there is a variety of all types of genres. Nothing is wrong throwing in a old school rock song. Everyone can get pumped up to Immigrant Song by Led for example. Sometimes it feels like the person in control of the music has stolen his teenage daughter's ipod and it is a buzz kill, at least for me.

HobeyBroten is offline   Reply With Quote