HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Cullen = Rica Fata

Old
12-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
The problem is that people always unfairly associate speed with scoring and it doesnt necessarily work that way.

Dvorak, Cullen, McAmmond, Marchant, etc.

Two way players but their speed created problems because it always made people think there should be higher numbers.

But the reality is those guys are far more comfortable in that third line/not main scoring threat type role.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

No matter how many different ways people try to twist these arguments, it comes down to one sheer fact: this team needs a true playmaking center to complement Shanahan. Everything else falls into place after that...at least among the forwards.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Edge

Don't think there is really any way around it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRETZKY_99 View Post
Cullen will prove you wrong today.... Check it out and come back to this post after the game and realize I was right about him...

Cullen isn't that bad...

Plus, you'll see he is very clutch in the play-offs!!
He is a good clutch player. He often looks really dangerous once he picks up loose pucks ect.

But he just aren't a good playmaker. It always looks like he is running out of time.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 08:17 AM
ivrydov

Last summer when the Rangers were supposedly looking for a second line centre, they signed Cullen. They are still looking for a second line centre.

Cullen wasn't even the third line centre down the stretch for the Canes, they brought in Doug Weight for that.

Cullen is a valuable player on any team because of his versatility but he can't be expected to be someone he's not.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Pizza

Just musing and being redundant, but I'll post it anyway. Cullen is a good player who is not playing his ideal role. Same as Holik being asked to be a number 1 or 2 center. Simple as that.

The Rangers make this mistake often. There is a vacuum here that will not be easy to fill.

It's obvious to everyone I know, but if we can find that piece at 2nd line center and Cullen can be put in his natural role then the Rangers should become a much better team.

.....the question of course is how to do that?

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I realize this guy played well for the Stanley Cup champions, but I just don't get it. What does he do? He's got world class skating ability but nothing else. Can't pass, can't shoot, doesn't hit, bad in the D zone, bad in the O zone, gets knocked off the puck constantly... am i missing anything?

this teams needs a second line center.....still
Your off a bit, but not really. The guy seems as useless as useless can be. i mean he is a 3rd liner and thats that, for the contract and money he was giving its looking like a huge waste of space, lets see if and when NYR makes the playoffs what he does, he might step it up, but I can highly doubt that.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahz View Post
Matt Cullen has 106 goals and 293 points in 619 NHL games. That's 14 goals and 39 points per 82 games.

He's on pace for 12 goals and 38 points this year. Matt Cullen is below his career average this season by a whopping one point.

Ask yourself: is there something wrong with Matt Cullen or did you simply have absurd expectations?

He had a career-high 49 points getting nearly five minutes of powerplay time a game on the third-highest scoring team in the league.

You reduce his powerplay time, you get less points. It's very simple. But even if you give him the PP time, you're still not getting the 70 points or whatever you expected. Cullen is who he is and he's not going to change at the age of 30.
I realize the type of player Cullen is, and has been throughout his career as the 3rd line/power play guy. But the higher expectations come from being put into a different role with this team, where more production IS expected. What I mean is, the organization didn't sign him to be a 50-point 3rd line center. They put him into a bigger role, and he's not been able to fill it.
I guess another way to say would be that if we did have cullen as our 3rd line center, then betts as the fourth, and someone who adequately could fill the 2nd line C, then I would be please with cullen's current production. But at his current position, and contract, he is absolutely underperforming, regardless of his personal history.

I also realize the rico fata comparison is over-dramatic, it was made for sarcasm and shock value, but there are many similarities between them nonetheless

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 01:15 PM
GRETZKY_99

Who like Cullen now, playing on the wing for the past two games ?

GRETZKY_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 01:45 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRETZKY_99 View Post
Who like Cullen now, playing on the wing for the past two games ?
Dvorak

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Dvorak

Any non-physical player is just a joke to you, huh?

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:14 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Any non-physical player is just a joke to you, huh?
***. Dvorak wasn't bad

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote