HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Thread (chat room link in first post)

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
lanky

vCash: 500
Leipsic was sent to Portland on Saturday. He and Petan should lead the W in offense again this year.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Anyone else think we should strengthen our goaltending position? Visentin is great and all but who knows if he will ever be a starter, same with Lee.

It takes goalies about 3-4 years to develop, Smith has a 6 year contract, let it work itself out from there.

Any good goalies in this draft? Let's grab the top ranked.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:29 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Anyone else think we should strengthen our goaltending position? Visentin is great and all but who knows if he will ever be a starter, same with Lee.

It takes goalies about 3-4 years to develop, Smith has a 6 year contract, let it work itself out from there.

We did draft Brendan Burke this year. Plus we still have Dominique in the pipeline as well.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:33 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Ranking does not correlate with NHL success when it comes to goaltenders. Not worth it.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wouldn't take a goalie before pick 45.

10-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Kaibur

I'm pleased with the goaltending depth in the system. I think odds are pretty good that one of Lee, Visentin, or Domingue will push to be NHL starters before Smitty's contract is up. I think with Burke getting the starts in Portland, we can probably afford to skip a year or draft a goalie with a late pick again. Isn't Langhamer the starter for Medicine Hat this year?

Goalies are such crapshoots, I really never want to see us pick one before the 3rd round.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I'm pleased with the goaltending depth in the system. I think odds are pretty good that one of Lee, Visentin, or Domingue will push to be NHL starters before Smitty's contract is up. I think with Burke getting the starts in Portland, we can probably afford to skip a year or draft a goalie with a late pick again. Isn't Langhamer the starter for Medicine Hat this year?

Goalies are such crapshoots, I really never want to see us pick one before the 3rd round.
Even then...4th round or later. They take so long to develop and you never know what you've got until 6yrs later anyway

Old
10-20-2013, 04:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A little disappointed that Conner Bleackley is doing so well statistically. He'd be a great fit. Good sized, right handed center and playing in Red Deer has to be seen as a huge positive. Look what it did for Martin Hanzal. Kids in that program play the right way. Too bad he's tearing it up on the scoresheet. He probably won't fall to us.

Old
10-21-2013, 12:44 PM
mitch27

Bleackley is one of my favourite prospects in this draft. I think he'll be the third player from the WHL picked behind Reinhart and Draisaitl. He is not the quickest guy, but he knows where to be. He actually reminds me a bit of Hanzal.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Even before Virtanen?

Old
10-21-2013, 01:28 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Even before Virtanen?
I like Virtanen quite a bit too. I think the whole WHL forward crop is really good this year. But yes, my bold prediction is Bleackley goes before Virtanen. Bleackley is a more complete player in my opinion.

Obviously I'm no expert though. Just my two cents.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I kills me not to be able to watch the CHL this season.

I wish I could get TV ala carte. FSN, FSN+, 3tv, WB61, TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet and that's all. Sigh.

That Virtanen kid looks like a complete beast, though. He's up to 217lbs now. Skates extremely well and has one hell of a highlight reel wrist shot. He's got all the tools, it seems. Wish I could actually watch him to get a feel for whether or not he's got the actual tool box with which to put it all together.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:41 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I kills me not to be able to watch the CHL this season.

I wish I could get TV ala carte. FSN, FSN+, 3tv, WB61, TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet and that's all. Sigh.

That Virtanen kid looks like a complete beast, though. He's up to 217lbs now. Skates extremely well and has one hell of a highlight reel wrist shot. He's got all the tools, it seems. Wish I could actually watch him to get a feel for whether or not he's got the actual tool box with which to put it all together.
I've only seen a handful of games so far, but offensively he's a machine. He's just wildly inconsistent in his effort levels (not even game to game but shift to shift) and not great in his own end.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
lanky

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...o-speed-in-ohl

A Kitchener Ranger with an NHL HOF dad. Send your scouts on sabbatical Don, this one is a no-brainer.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Has anyone else got to watch Perlini of the IceDogs? I have been catching a few of his games, and I like his game and he's got to be at this point at the lower end of the 1st round.

Old
11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Has anyone else got to watch Perlini of the IceDogs? I have been catching a few of his games, and I like his game and he's got to be at this point at the lower end of the 1st round.
I like his game too, but I highly doubt he'll be available at the bottom of the first. He's putting up huge numbers and the hype around him is starting to grow. I think he'll be going top 10.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
mitch27

A couple of guys I like that will probably be available in the mid-rounds are Christian Dvorak and Keegan Iverson. I really like Iverson's skating ability. He doesn't seem to be afraid to go into the dirty areas either. I've seen a handful of Knights games this season and Dvorak has stood out every time. He didn't get any points last night, but I thought he was by far London's best player. Great puckhandling skills and he was creating a lot of chances in the offensive zone.

Old
11-11-2013, 04:08 PM
AndrewYotes

Is it just me or does this year's draft not have nearly as much hype as last year's? Maybe it will pick up later in the season.

Old
11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
Is it just me or does this year's draft not have nearly as much hype as last year's? Maybe it will pick up later in the season.
It usually picks up as the season goes on.

Old
11-11-2013, 04:33 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
It's not just you, but this is a much worse draft. Last year, all four of the top picks could have been taken first overall, and any of them could have been in the conversation for the top pick over the last few drafts. MacKinnon, Jones and Barkov also had a few years of hype leading up the draft. This draft, on the other hand, is much weaker at the top, so there aren't any big names to get excited about in the same way. There are a few guys in the conversation for first overall, but none of them would have gone higher than five last year.

Old
11-11-2013, 05:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

This one is not nearly as good at the top. I think from 10-45 or even 10-60 it's really good compared to average drafts. I'm seeing guys likes Watson, Bleackley, and Ho Sang in the 20s on some lists and guys like Hawryluk and De Leo out of the top thirty entirely. That's a good sign for the depth in the mid to late first and early to mid second.

Hype is also lessened by the fact that there is an NHL season right now. That wasn't the case twelve months ago.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:01 PM
AndrewYotes

Who's your favorite pick for us right now, RT? You were pretty high on Domi and Lazar last year for us.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Mossy

Well we're gonna be picking 30th right?

Old
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Desert Ice 11

vCash: 450
Quote:

I disagree I think Visetin will be a starter someday. Maybe not as soon as we like. My guess, he will be ready in 5 years. 45 saves on 46 shots the other night.

Old
11-11-2013, 08:10 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Well we're gonna be picking 30th right?
29th, the Devils have to forfeit their pick!

Closed Thread