HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rocket DVD

Old
09-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Ludo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco View Post
One question, why is there absolutly no mention of his family??? Nothing , not even Henri.
Maurice and Henri have 15 years separating them. For most of Maurice's career Henri wasn't playing in the NHL. They only played together for his last 4-5 seasons....which are not portrayed in the movie. As for his family life....you don't see much of Henri either because the movie focuses mostly on the Rocket's immediate family (wife, etc.).

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
joepaco

are you telling me his own mother and father are not a part of his immediate family??? I'm sure they must of had some sort of influence in his life... are you telling me they were not at the Forum attending games ???

Come on , it would not have been hard to add them in the film . Their most be a legal reason behind all of this...

joepaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:36 PM
mcphee

Quote:
are you telling me his own mother and father are not a part of his immediate family??? I'm sure they must of had some sort of influence in his life... are you telling me they were not at the Forum attending games ???

Come on , it would not have been hard to add them in the film . Their most be a legal reason behind all of this...
Joe, I think the film maker wanted to tell a particular story and needed a starting and finishing point. I don't think it would have added anything to the theme of the movie. They chose to portray what the Rocket saw in a way, and though his family life would have been interesting, I can understand why he chose to do it the way he did.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Habs13

It would have been really nice to have had some character added to his team mates... I know it's about the Rocket but I would have loved this film even more (ok.. that.. may not be possible but still) if we'd gotten a chance to see more of his teammates. They didn't even really introduce us to any of them... all we saw was Mike Ricci as Elmer Lach but even that was still really limited. They mentioned Beliveau (Lecavalier) and Boom Boom but we didn't see anything about them. Yet their jersies hang from the rafters along side The Rockets!

And they could have REALLY driven the nail home if they'd gone into detail during the riot - they really cheese'd that part up. A good chunk of this movie is about the social attitude of the time and about revolution... and they didn't think it worthy to film a segment on the riot? Quite possibly THE turning point in Quebec sociaty. That frustrated me. Maybe the budget wasn't there or it would have been too difficult to film or something, I don't know... but I feel the film was cheated by it's short cuts.

All in all, it's a damn good film, a great piece of Habs history and more importantly, a great and important part of Canadian and Quebecois history too.

Want to know why we hate the Bruins and why we should always hate the Bruins? Watch the film.

After watching this, I want to go out and get myself a framed picture of the Rocket to proudly display on my wall.

Last edited by Habs13: 09-29-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Craptastic keyboard... "R" key is broken
Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:34 PM
HABSMANIA21*

The Score television channel just sent me a copy.

HABSMANIA21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It would have been really nice to have had some character added to his team mates... I know it's about the Rocket but I would have loved this film even more (ok.. that.. may not be possible but still) if we'd gotten a chance to see more of his teammates. They didn't even really introduce us to any of them... all we saw was Mike Ricci as Elmer Lach but even that was still really limited. They mentioned Beliveau (Lecavalier) and Boom Boom but we didn't see anything about them. Yet their jersies hang from the rafters along side The Rockets!

And they could have REALLY driven the nail home if they'd gone into detail during the riot - they really cheese'd that part up. A good chunk of this movie is about the social attitude of the time and about revolution... and they didn't think it worthy to film a segment on the riot? Quite possibly THE turning point in Quebec sociaty. That frustrated me. Maybe the budget wasn't there or it would have been too difficult to film or something, I don't know... but I feel the film was cheated by it's short cuts.

All in all, it's a damn good film, a great piece of Habs history and more importantly, a great and important part of Canadian and Quebecois history too.

Want to know why we hate the Bruins and why we should always hate the Bruins? Watch the film.

After watching this, I want to go out and get myself a framed picture of the Rocket to proudly display on my wall.
Not mentionned in the film was the fact that Hal Laycoe, who the Rocket's initial fight was with that night, helped build Doug Harvey's house, played tennis with the Rocket and was an ex Hab.

When you watch historical or biographical films, I find you always want more than what they can tell you. Personally, I get anal when they take small liberties with history to better tell the story. I think the way they began and ended with the riot was a good idea. What caused it and the build up in the city over the years was more the story than the actual breaking of the windows, at least imo.

They portrayed him as so stoic, it was hard to bring out relationships with teammates like Lach, though they remained life long friends, I believe.

Old
12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Sorry to be digging this thread up from several months ago, but since the DVD came out, I've watched it several times.

Does anybody know whether the commentator/radio announcer in the film was a depiction of the actual commentator at the time? I'm not sure who it would represent (since I was born in 83!), but I've wondered whether it was supposed to be Rene Lecavalier or somebody (again, I'm not entirely sure who announced Canadiens games during that epoch).

I just thought his style and delivery was outstanding. He sounded like a South American commentator, who delivers his play by play like a narrative. His commentaries during the riot were well done as well ("On prend tes appels").

Any insight as to who it is would definitely be appreciated!

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:12 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm gonna get this for my Dad for Christmas. I hope it'll arrive in time.

12-17-2006, 03:33 AM
Phousse

I've still yet to see this.

I feel like I've failed as a Habs fan.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 03:51 AM
Toro

Quote:
I just saw it tonight for the first time and I realy liked it.

It made my friends, who don't realy care about hockey, appreciate the history of the Habs and the Rocket. They could not believe it when I showed them a clip of the ovation he got at the closing of the Forum.

One question, why is there absolutly no mention of his family??? Nothing , not even Henri.
I loved the move, but ws very disapointed that they wasted so much time on his wife's brother and never even mentioned his family members. Showed her whole family all through the film but never weven once showed Henri.

Very stupid IMO sequal my A** Not even 1 clip with henri
I know its about Maurice but come on....

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I loved the move, but ws very disapointed that they wasted so much time on his wife's brother and never even mentioned his family members. Showed her whole family all through the film but never weven once showed Henri.

Very stupid IMO sequal my A** Not even 1 clip with henri
I know its about Maurice but come on....
Toro, from the film maker's pov, when and why would his character be introduced ? The movie was set from The Rocket's Jr. days to the riot in 1955. Henri wasn't part of the team yet and frankly, was an infant when Richard made the CH. He had nothing to do with the story being told. The brother in law was used to help tell the story, get an observer's perspective. If the movie was about just his hockey career, and they wanted to do history point by point, it would be different, but the way the story was told, I don' see what it would have brought to the movie. Keep in mind that it's as much about his effect on the city as anything else.