HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
haha best comment ever! You win this thread! I know what you mean though. I can be pretty jaded myself so I've made a conscious effort to be more light hearted and open minded. Easier to see the beauty in things.

So I finally watched Oldboy last night. I figured out the twist halfway through the movie. Not hard to deduce if you know a twist is coming. Either that or I'm just that good. Spoiler: the scene where Woo-jin Lee says,"Do you really think Mido has fallen in love with Oh Dae-Su already?" was pretty much a dead give away.

Can't wait for the remake. Agree with Overlords, american audience is going to flip the **** out lol.

Spoiler: YA that was a great scene! I was looking for any animations or editing but then I was like damn that's a real octopus! You can tell by his face! He has that same face you would have if someone put a gun to your head and just told you to eat poop. Being portuguese we eat a lot of seafood and I know that a lot of people will even eat the whole head of the fish. I can't even look at the poor fish when I'm about to eat it, I can't imagine taking a bite out of a live one!
i believe the actor had to eat 8 octopusses for that scene, alive everytime

Old
10-31-2013, 03:02 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventington View Post
Track down City Lights, if you can. It has a beautiful ending.
Checking it out now, also hope to find The Kid.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Looking for a great spook tonight... Anything to suggest on netflix ?

Old
10-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Well I will listen Session 9.

If I don't come back, I want you to know I love you all.

Old
11-01-2013, 04:49 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Looking for a great spook tonight... Anything to suggest on netflix ?
transformers is terrifying

Old
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
transformers is terrifying
The movie is a beautiful synthesis of my childhood.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:57 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
The movie is a beautiful synthesis of my childhood.
You were a robot?

ps. Thread of the year.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You were a robot?

ps. Thread of the year.
Precisely. I was an autobot. I was a black scooter, a Yamaha Bws sport, none the less.

No, but seriously... People don't understand that the Transformers movies were all about that .. cheesy, action packed, robot crunching, drama-induced and big-ass-shiny robots fighting each others. What did you guys expect ?

Obviously, Miss Fox was not necessary.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Precisely. I was an autobot. I was a black scooter, a Yamaha Bws sport, none the less.

No, but seriously... People don't understand that the Transformers movies were all about that .. cheesy, action packed, robot crunching, drama-induced and big-ass-shiny robots fighting each others. What did you guys expect ?

Obviously, Miss Fox was not necessary.
I really enjoyed Dark of the Moon. Never was a huge transformers fan as a child, I was waay too much into mangas and anime (yes, come at me) because they were so much more 'compelling' than any of the western stuff that was always about patriotism (G.I. Joe) and teaching morals to kids, they were't genuine.

Has anyone watched The League? It really cracks me up... it's a show about a bunch of dudes who make a fantasy football league and take it way too seriously.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 11-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old
11-02-2013, 02:31 AM
DAChampion

As of this afternoon, I have to update my preferred 2013 movie list:

1) Gravity
1) Rush
-- steep dropoff --
3) Oblivion
4) Man of Steel
5) Pacific Rim
6) Elysium
6) Riddick
-- another steep drop off --
8) Star Trek into Darkness
9) Thor 2: The Dark World

SPOILERS

Thor 2 was really one of the dumbest pieces of **** I have seen in a long time, I have not been this bored by a movie in theatres since Captain America. About 10 minutes into the movie, I was truly bored and I was worried that this movie would be as bad as Star Trek into Darkness... it turned out to be a lot worse. About two thirds of the way into the movie I switched my mindset as I realised how awful this movie was, and I went from fidgeting in pain to laughing hard.

I'll say what this movie has going for it: Kat Dennings and Jaimie Alexander. They're very beautiful, I could watch a movie just staring at them for an hour or two, the director knew this and in fact there are several shots in the film that are merely staring shots of them smiling and looking sexy. That's the best part of the movie. The second best part, some of the jokes (re: one-liners) were good, though in practice the vast majority of the one-liners were not funny, so it does not work.

The primary reason this movie fails, other than the generic "it's unbelievably boring", are the following (in no particular order):
1) Too many characters and inconsistent tone.
2) Incoherent narratives and failed world building
3) Predictability and cliches

1) The too many characters part is self-evident. Thor, Loki, Thor's mother, Thor's grandfather (apparently fittingly called "Bore"), Thor's father, Jaimie, the three other assistants, Heimdall, leader of the dark angels, mean-looking assistant leader to the dark angels, jane, jane's female friend, jane's female friend's intern, the daddy astrophysicist, jane's boyfriend from the early shots, etc etc etc ... each of them gets some plot lines, some development, and as the screen shifts from one character to another the tone changes every single time. Too many plot lines, not enough depth.

On the one hand the universe is being destroyed, on the other hand everybody is joking around and we have an astrophysicist walking around in his underwear, and for some reason streaking at Stonehenge. Why was he streaking at Stonehenge again? No idea, because it's "funny"... if the audience is full of retards. Personally, I'm a curmudgeon, I don't find streaking funny, either in a generic alien invasion movie where it has nothing to do with the plot, or in a baseball stadium where some lunatic wants to be the centre of attention by preventing me from watching the game.

Having all these stories going on at once prevents me from caring. Thor's mother died and I didn't care. Loki dies and I didn't care. Sif loves Thor and can't have him and I didn't care. Jane misses Thor for 2 years and I didn't care. That's because you can't have a million stories going on at once and go from grief to tension to trying-to-be-funny-and-failing and back again -- it does not work.

Meanwhile, there are way too many references to the rest of the marvel-verse, I have no idea why Captain America shows up. During the final fight, Thor and the Dark Angel Leader go from one realm to another and it's clear the only point of that is for the director to show off more special effects. At the end of the movie, we learn that Thor's father Odin is missing, and I have no idea what happened. It's an after-the-credits scene done before the credits, for a total of three after-the-credits scene... can Marvel please take a break and focus on telling one story at a time?

2) The narrative is incoherent, doesn't make sense, and doesn't fit into the marvel verse. These Dark Angels were defeated "thousands of years ago", yet they have an army ready to go lay waste to the Asgardians capital. Do you think if some Roman infantry popped out of a bubble they would lay waste to Washington, DC? This is the remnant of a defeated army, and it just waltzes into Asgard and kills the queen. What? They then went some black moose to destroy the "universe", because there was a "time before time"... what? I'm not sure why Loki didn't just take the black moose.

In the early part of the movie, Thor has a hard time fighting the black angel leader, yet when he later achieves full power, he defeats him easily.

I'll leave aside the fact that the universe having 9 realms that align every 5000 years is completely nonsensical.

Finally, this took place in the marvel-verse, where was Shield? I was thinking that Hulk should be helping in the final battle and that Thor should have asked for his help. I was also thinking that Jane and her friends should have asked for Tony Stark's help to buildd the "gravimetric" weapons, given that Tony Stark has been previously established by the same mythos as having the ability to solve any scientific problem in 1 hour.

Asides:
a) I also don't get why the dark angel spaceship hid in a ridiculous asteroid belt. First of all there are no asteroid belts like that in the universe, that's not a stable configuration. Second, if there were, that ship would not have lasted thousands of years, it would have been smashed.
b) Astrophysicists don't have "interns", they have graduate students, or undergrads.
c) Why did they copy so many designs from man of steel?
d) The cgi was awful. I could recognise a lot of green screen scenes, which is unacceptable for such an expensive movie.
e) Thor's voice is vastly more stupid than Bale's Batman voice. I would have needed subtitles whenever he was speaking to better appreciate the movie, as I couldn't make out a lot of his dialogue.
f) Does every single character in Asgaard have a distinct foreign accent? Would it not make more sense to prefer one specific foreign accent, to have a consistent "feel"?
g) Why didn't the dark angels kill Bore with one of their black hole weapons?

3) The movie has too many cliche moments. For example, it was extremely obvious that Loki's betrayal was fake, I'm not sure how exactly I understood it as fake immediately, but I did. Second, I was going to shriek when Kat Dennings said to that guy "you saved my life", and then immediately fell in love with him. It was too ridiculous, they then start to make out in the middle of an end-of-the-universe situation. [/spoiler]

Thor 2: The Dark World is what you would if Man of Steel and Chronicles of Riddick got together, ****ed, and then somehow made a baby that managed so synthesise the worst of both of them and none of the good.

It is a failed movie. My grade: F.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-02-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old
11-02-2013, 10:24 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Well I will listen Session 9.

If I don't come back, I want you to know I love you all.
You wont come back!

Loved that movie.

Old
11-05-2013, 05:10 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

bumping this wonderful thread

watched The Sum Of All Fears yesterday. it's not new but i liked it a lot yes Still, my favorite jack ryan movie will always be The Hunt For The Red October

Old
11-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I just discovered comedian Jim Jefferies . He's got a few of his DVD's on Youtube

Jim Jefferies Fully Functional
Jim Jefferies Alcoholocaust
Jim Jefferies I Swear to God

All are completely hilarious. It's very offensive (hint, he's an atheist) for some, but those are great acts.

He's Australian but there's a part in one of the acts where he describes in detail a threesome he had with a couple 18 year olds from Montreal. Funny as hell.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
ps. Thread of the year.
And just think... it all started with a terrible movie.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:33 AM
IceDaddy

I think I am done with Homeland.

Spoil:
Brody is gone and I really dont care about the Dana and her mother story line.

P.S. American Horror Story is fantastic

Last edited by hototogisu: 11-05-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
11-05-2013, 07:35 AM
IceDaddy

Quote:
bumping this wonderful thread

watched The Sum Of All Fears yesterday. it's not new but i liked it a lot yes Still, my favorite jack ryan movie will always be The Hunt For The Red October

Great Movie!!

Old
11-05-2013, 07:37 AM
kingdok

Watched Oblivion two nights ago. Visuals are great. The movie is thrash. ''**** You Sally''. Seriously?

Old
11-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Andy

So Lafleur's Guy, I took your advice and watched No Country for Old Men...

...I was left perplexed lol.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

that final speech

Old
11-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
Watched Oblivion two nights ago. Visuals are great. The movie is thrash. ''**** You Sally''. Seriously?
I still don't understand that movie. All I got was there was a ship creating clones. That's all I got.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Andy

Oblivion for the 1st 30 minutes was amazing. As the movie progressed, it got increasingly more cheesy, obvious and stupid.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

Yeah but easily one of their best movies

Old
11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:

it was meant to leave you perplexed. on the second viewing it made much more sense to me at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
i won't debate it's flaws but seeing this in the theatre was one of the best 'going to the movies' experience i've had since i can remember and M83's score is ****ing brilliant. i looooved it

Old
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
it was meant to leave you perplexed. on the second viewing it made much more sense to me at least

i won't debate it's flaws but seeing this in the theatre was one of the best 'going to the movies' experience i've had since i can remember and M83's score is ****ing brilliant. i looooved it
My best movie going experience, bar none, was Inception, I went with a bunch of friends and we all came out of there with the WTF expression on our faces.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I finally started watching season 1 of Louie last night after enjoying Louis C.K.'s stand-up for so long and it's awesome. Don't know why it took me so long.

I only wish the episodes were an hour long. They feel too short and truncated as it is.

Closed Thread