11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Roz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
<does the snoopy dance>
Ha ha. Cam Russell provides a little more detail:

Quote:
“It’s not the kind of thing that just goes away,” Russell said. “Trey’s spent the past few weeks resting his hip but also building up his strength in other areas around it. He said he feels great and a lot of times you can do enough to be able to play through it. But in other cases, you need to have surgery.

“Right now we can’t really know how he’ll react. We won’t know more until he tests it out; that’s where we are right now. Trey feels good, he’s done the rehab so now we’ll get him back out there and see what comes next.”
Quote:
“That’s the tough part,” Russell said. “No one is tougher than Trey and I know he can play with a lot of pain. With some of the work he’s done the past month, he might be able to play through it for the rest of the year. But we can’t know any of that for sure at this point.”
So still no timetable for return, and no guarantee that he can play out the season even if he does come back. Once he does return, they have two weeks to decide what to do with Duke.

In other news, the team tweeted a photo of Drouin working with Barb Underhill, which is awesome.

Last edited by Roz: 11-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old
11-06-2013, 12:17 PM
MikeyP

"but Duke is also a valuable player who is playing well."

Old
11-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Roz

Another day, another injured d-man:

Quote:
Injuries have plagued but not crippled the Halifax Mooseheads’ defensive corps. The unit has absorbed the loss of Lewis, their leader, captain and top defenceman, who’s been slowly recovering from a hip injury for the last month. Just last week, the team learned Weegar, their other top D-man and power play quarterback, would be out of the lineup for a couple of weeks with an ankle injury.

Through the bad luck- the handful of games Lussier missed to injury and the handful more Lovell is about to sit out with a knee injury- the Maritime Division’s top team continues to roll along.
Blerg.

Old
11-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Big game tonight against the Kittens. Ehlers vs. Barbashev.

Old
11-08-2013, 01:01 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Argh!

I cant go to tonights game either as my son has hockey... so long as the boys stay the course they should be ok.

Old
11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Libbs

Moose with a rather easy 4-0 win. Dubeau was aweful. Fucale was there when he needed to be. Brent Andrews with a Thomas Hertl like SH goal.

Good to see the Drouin we all know and love return tongith. He was interested and engaged with the play and can stick handle like no one else in this league. He did take a stupid roughing penalty but he was getting hacked, slashed, and held all night.

The officiating was atrocious tonight... my goodness, probably the worst I've seen.

Old
11-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

I've never seen a goalie not bite at all on the between the legs move and still get beat.

Good to see Drouin back to form and Fucale bounce back from a tough roadtrip.

Old
11-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Dgill

Super happy Fucale got the shutout, hopefully this signifies that the slump is over. Drouin was fun to watch for the first time this season at the Metro Center. Even though the E-A-R line was limited on the scoreboard they really controlled Barbashev last night. The guy was invisible.

Old
11-09-2013, 01:14 PM
bigdirty

I really wish the team would sell the sweaters they wear for DND appreciation night. I know they auction the game sweaters, but they could make a lot more money if they sold regular ones in stores, even if it's a relatively small number.

Every year they have a new uniform and every year they look great. I for one would love to get one of those Sea King sweaters, but I'd rather just buy a plain, non-game worn one.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Roz

Yikes.

Old
11-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Libbs

We had a 6-1 lead after 2 and I though we were playing pretty good... but then the 3rd period happened and realized we weren't all that good but Auger gave us that lead. Definitely not used to seeing a team under Ducharme fall asleep for an entire period with a large lead.

I've often criticized Murphy for his play, but not afraid to give him due credit. Tonight was by far his best game as a Moosehead and was the best player on the ice tonight.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Roz

The Mooseheads have officially removed Trey Lewis from their roster:

Quote:
Halifax Mooseheads General Manager Cam Russell announced this morning that the clubs 20 year old situation has been resolved due to the uncertainty of Captain Trey Lewis’s health.

The Mooseheads will keep Brent Andrews, Brendan Duke and Darcy Ashley as their three overage 20 year old players this season. Lewis, also 20 years old, has been out of the lineup since early October with a torn labrum in his hip. Lewis has decided to join the Mirimachi Timberwolves of the Maritime Junior “A” Hockey League. He will remain on the Mooseheads 55 man protected list.

"As a great competitor and leader, Trey's passion and enthusiasm will be missed. I want to thank Trey for everything he gave to this organization and wish him all the best with his future. He has left his mark on this organization for a long time.”

Lewis played 206 games for the Mooseheads over 4 seasons collecting 16 goals, 47 assists and 248 penalty minutes. The Aldouane, New Brunswick product co-captained the Mooseheads to their first Memorial Cup Championship last May in Saskatoon.
This really sucks.

ETA: Because why not:

Last edited by Roz: 11-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Libbs

Terribly unfortunate for Trey. Won't find a more intense and loyal player.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

They're going to move Duke for a different 20 year old I would bet.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:10 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
James Melindy's future with Portland is still a question mark ....

Old
11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Libbs

Quote:
It would be safe to assume... but only for another defenseman.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
I'd take that bet. What's the rationale? Don't see any 20 y/o dmen available that would be a significant enough upgrade to part with anything valuable in addition to Duke (that would be available). It would be plain idiotic to trade him for a 20 y/o forward given the shape of our D corps. Am I forgetting someone obvious? (also DO NOT WANT Melindy, always been overrated)

I definitely see a lack of toughness on the team with Lewis gone for good though.

Old
11-11-2013, 08:28 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Terribly unfortunate for Trey. Won't find a more intense and loyal player.
What does this say about an organization that would dump the Captain of The Mem Cup winner due to an injury? I think it says a lot. Was that really in the team's best interest?

Old
11-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
What does this say about an organization that would dump the Captain of The Mem Cup winner due to an injury? I think it says a lot. Was that really in the team's best interest?
Yes.

Trey's departure will leave an absolutely massive hole - just look at how his teammates responded to the announcement on Twitter. But as you know, we can only carry three 20-year-olds per year. If he's an 18 or 19 year old then there's no question that he stays on the roster. But since his rehab is over, the Mooseheads had to make a decision about which of their 4 20s to keep. Trey's injury could flare up again at any time, and we'd be down two players instead of one. It's too much of a risk.

This isn't a normal injury that just needs rest and physical therapy. A labral tear will not heal until he gets surgery. Until he gets that surgery he's a ticking time bomb and given his willingness to play through extreme pain (played on a torn MCL in the playoffs last year), he could risk permanent injury.

He's hardly being "dumped." He found himself in the middle of an impossible situation where neither he nor the Mooseheads had many options. It's not fair to Lewis, but it's also not fair to Brendan Duke to keep him guessing about where he's going to be week to week. Now everyone knows where they stand. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Duke's play improve now that he no longer has that decision looming over him.

This move makes it pretty clear to me that the Moose are going to go on another run this year and they won't be able to do that with an injured Lewis taking up a roster spot. I think if they had chosen to be sellers then they'd have kept Lewis and let him play for his leadership and grit in addition to the sentimental reasons.

The Mooseheads have a great reputation in the CHL as a team that treats its players very well. Cam Russell's done a good job maintaining a balance between loyalty to individual players and doing what's best for the team as a whole. It says a lot that Trey declined an offer to be traded to another Q team.

I would have absolutely loved to have seen Trey finish his junior career as a Moosehead, but this was the right decision. I hope they recognize his contributions in some way at Thursday's game.

Last edited by Roz: 11-11-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 10:22 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Yes.

Trey's departure will leave an absolutely massive hole - just look at how his teammates responded to the announcement on Twitter. But as you know, we can only carry three 20-year-olds per year. If he's an 18 or 19 year old then there's no question that he stays on the roster. But since his rehab is over, the Mooseheads had to make a decision about which of their 4 20s to keep. Trey's injury could flare up again at any time, and we'd be down two players instead of one. It's too much of a risk.

This isn't a normal injury that just needs rest and physical therapy. A labral tear will not heal until he gets surgery. Until he gets that surgery he's a ticking time bomb and given his willingness to play through extreme pain (played on a torn MCL in the playoffs last year), he could risk permanent injury.

He's hardly being "dumped." He found himself in the middle of an impossible situation where neither he nor the Mooseheads had many options. It's not fair to Lewis, but it's also not fair to Brendan Duke to keep him guessing about where he's going to be week to week. Now everyone knows where they stand. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Duke's play improve now that he no longer has that decision looming over him.

This move makes it pretty clear to me that the Moose are going to go on another run this year and they won't be able to do that with an injured Lewis taking up a roster spot. I think if they had chosen to be sellers then they'd have kept Lewis and let him play for his leadership and grit in addition to the sentimental reasons.

The Mooseheads have a great reputation in the CHL as a team that treats its players very well. Cam Russell's done a good job maintaining a balance between loyalty to individual players and doing what's best for the team as a whole. It says a lot that Trey declined an offer to be traded to another Q team.

I would have absolutely loved to have seen Trey finish his junior career as a Moosehead, but this was the right decision. I hope they recognize his contributions in some way at Thursday's game.
REALLY? A "ticking time bomb"? That's every player who's had an injury. Your answer is so long it really says it all, win at all costs. How is it that he can go play in Miramichi then?

Old
11-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
REALLY? A "ticking time bomb"? That's every player who's had an injury. Your answer is so long it really says it all, win at all costs. How is it that he can go play in Miramichi then?
It's long because I wanted to answer your question fully and earnestly. I had assumed you had asked the question in good faith. I didn't realize you had already made up your mind.

And yes, really, a time bomb. I'll try to spell it out again: Trey Lewis is not someone who "had" an injury. He is someone who has an injury. It is not an injury that has healed. It will not be healed until he has surgery.

As for why he's playing in the MHL, here he is in his own words:

Quote:
“They've got my rights in junior A and I grew up with a few guys on the team. It’s also close to home so it was more of a comfort factor than anything,” said Lewis, who is from Aldouane, N.B. “It’s going to be fun there. It’ll be a good way to finish my junior hockey career.

“I’ve been off for a while now and it’s driving me crazy so it’ll be great to play somewhere. If my hip starts to bug me, then I would get surgery. I would play through it for the year if it was Halifax but if it starts to bother me, I’ll end up getting the surgery.”
So he's playing there because it's lower stakes and it's where he wants to be right now. He can have a good time with his childhood buddies in a less intense league where he won't have to worry about missing out if he gets surgery. If he stayed in Halifax he would've played through the pain regardless of the consequences. That's admirable, but bad for his long-term career and for the Mooseheads.

That's all. But don't let it get in the way of your "omg the Mooseheads are so mean" narrative if you don't want it to, I guess.

Old
11-12-2013, 03:55 AM
Libbs

At this point, Trey doesn't even know how long he can play for. He's best to just get surgery and be ready for the start of the CIS season next year.

Old
11-12-2013, 07:10 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
At this point, Trey doesn't even know how long he can play for. He's best to just get surgery and be ready for the start of the CIS season next year.
Couldn't agree more. But what a warrior eh, nothing says team player more than Trey Lewis. He'll definitely be missed. I hope the Mooseheads still honour him as they do with all their other 20 y/o players.

On another note, it's looking more and more like we will be our usual minor buyers this season. I don't forsee anything major, but you never know. That said, any idea who will be our Stefan Fournier/Stephen McAuley? I forsee us making a move for a 19 y/o to play with Drouin and Ashley. Someone with a bit more grit and nose for the dirty areas than Ciampini.

Old
11-12-2013, 07:41 AM
HFX902

Closed Thread