HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meyer scouting report

Old
12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
st bonnies*

vCash: 500
Meyer scouting report

Isles fan here

Can Meyer be a #4 defenseman?? what are is pro s and cons?

I always thought he was a quick player, undersizes, willing to hit, prone to make the dumb play. I know he is 25.

does he have upside as a player or will the isles use him as a #6 for yrs to come??

Zhitnik has spurts of great ness and spurts of "where is he"?

he is a good + defenseman....overrated on the PP...missed the nest constantly.

but definately a top 3 defenseman

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Dimitrios*

From TSN:

"Assets Can put points on the board, as well as play a physical brand of hockey in his own zone. Makes the most of his ability.
Flaws Needs to keep the mistakes to a minimum in order to play regularly in the NHL. Lacks ideal size for a blueliner at the highest level.
Career potential Top six defenseman."

He was a good defensmen for us and we blow ****, trust me, you won the deal by miles

Dimitrios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Lupul*

He's quick, physical, and good 1 on 1, and he plays with heart. He should be a pretty good second pairing defenseman for you guys.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
He's quick, physical, and good 1 on 1, and he plays with heart. He should be a pretty good second pairing defenseman for you guys.
Yep, quick, physical, great 1 on 1, and plays with heart. Exactly how you'd describe him. He's also not afraid to fight (which usually comes with heart and soul players) although he doesn't usually find willing partners. Maybe people don't take him seriously because of his size.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Yep, quick, physical, great 1 on 1, and plays with heart. Exactly how you'd describe him. He's also not afraid to fight (which usually comes with heart and soul players) although he doesn't usually find willing partners. Maybe people don't take him seriously because of his size.
Agreed. And now the Islander's have more money under the cap to improve their team next year with the dmen that I wanted the Flyers to sign.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Agreed. And now the Islander's have more money under the cap to improve their team next year with the dmen that I wanted the Flyers to sign.
There's still a lot of money. I'm not a capologist or anything but there's still a lot. Enough to sign our RFAs and grab a top centre (if it's not Forsberg) and a top defender anyway.

What I'd prefer is a healthy Forsberg at a discount and then another good to great forward that can fill in if he goes down.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:55 PM
watson

He has a bad back, has had it since college, a dislocation or a bulging disc in the spine, causes him to miss an occasional game with back spasms that started in 2000 after back surgery

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/media/...yfreepress.com

"Meyer was diagnosed with a dislocated disk in his back. Doctors told him he needed back surgery and urged him to stay off the ice until at least December, possibly even until the end of the 2000-01 season.

After a faster-than-usual post-surgery rehabilitation, Meyer returned to the ice last week and competed in full practices."

He will always have a back issue , this is why he went undrafted, but he is a good 4th dman

watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:04 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
There's still a lot of money. I'm not a capologist or anything but there's still a lot. Enough to sign our RFAs and grab a top centre (if it's not Forsberg) and a top defender anyway.

What I'd prefer is a healthy Forsberg at a discount and then another good to great forward that can fill in if he goes down.
The money could still possibly be there to sign a top dman, but is the roster spot/ice time there? This brings up a lot of questions for me now. Right now you have Pitkanen, Gauthier (when healthy), Hatcher (yes still top 4), Zhitnik as your top 4. If we sign a top 4 guy next year, who loses ice time? Do you think they can move one of those guys? Which one of them becomes the 3rd pairing dman? Can we afford to have a $3.5 million and/or $2.1 million dman on our third pairing? I guess Picard is the only young dman on the team next year? What if Jonnson, Timonen or Bartilus showed they were ready to make the team?

Without Zhitnik here, you have a "definite" opening for a top 4 dman that you sign next year and let Meyer, Jones and the young guys battle for the last two spots and the first call up. Meyer and or Jones could then be moved for a mid level draft pick or included in a package next year if some of the prospects prove they are capable of being in the NHL next year.

EDIT: As for money, I estimated $3.25 to resign Pitkanen, $1.7 for Nitty, $5.5 for Forsberg or replacement, $1.5 for Robitaille or replacement and very slight raises for guys like Fedoruk, Eager, Potulny. Also, $750k for backup goalie.

I calculate 11 forwards and 7 dmen signed for about $38 million. If the cap is around 46, I assume we would stay somewhere around $44 which leaves 6 million to sign players.

Last edited by mikedifr: 12-17-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old
12-17-2006, 03:38 AM
larsmark

He's also an expert in losing pucks at the wrong places of the ice getting the oposition get 2-1, 3-2 chances.

larsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:51 AM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark View Post
He's also an expert in losing pucks at the wrong places of the ice getting the oposition get 2-1, 3-2 chances.
Yeah, not good defending coming back, positional play.....then there's his size?, never impressed with his decisions with the man advantage, puck in the offensive zone.....was much better last year, but so were the Flyers, career AHL'er.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:12 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
Yeah, not good defending coming back, positional play.....then there's his size?, never impressed with his decisions with the man advantage, puck in the offensive zone.....was much better last year, but so were the Flyers, career AHL'er.
There goes all your credibility

Old
12-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Kaktus*

He is quick, he does like to hit, IMO he is ok 1 on 1.
Downside his size, how he plays in corners, his O is not that good at least this season, can not stop bigger forwards.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote