There’s a lot of talk about Pernell cracking Team Canada for the Sochi Olympic Games, and some debate about whether or not he’s got what it takes in his own end to merit a spot. Now we all know that he can shoot the puck, but with Markov being born in a different country- how will Pernell do offensively?
Now I didn’t take all of the goals against he’s been on the ice for this year- just the one’s where he was at fault. Still shots were taken at either the moment of the goal, or of the Pernell blunder.
EDIT: you may need to right-click and "view image" to get a better look.
Oct. 10, 2013 EDM
1) Pernell has a perfect opportunity to lift the aged Smyth’s stick, but instead elects to needlessly crosscheck him in the back- aiding Smyth in propelling the puck into the net.
Oct. 17, 2013 CLB
2) After and ill-advised pinch, Pernell gets caught in the corner, and watches Johansen chip the puck by Eller (a forward left to cover the point [ie. PERNELL’S JOB!!!]) and lazily skates back to see- from a distance- Johansen score.
3) Sorry for the picture here, but this is just before Jenner deposits the puck into a near open net. Subban plays the man without the puck, turns his back on the play, and interferes with his teammate. C’mon, Pernell. That’s not how it’s done.
Oct. 19, 2013 NAS
4) Pernell isn’t in this shot at all- he’s just getting out of the penalty box for tripping Kevin Klein (of all people!) which forced Ryan White to work beyond his limitation and having no choice but to take a penalty on the ensuing PP. All that set in motion leads to Weber’s shot going in off Gorges’ leg.
5) This one is becoming symptomatic of Pernell’s play in his own end (you’ll see what I mean later), as he doesn’t move his feet, but instead allows Legwand to make the most of the time and space afforded him by dishing a saucer pass over the lethargic stick of Pernell to a breaking Jones, who promptly waltzes in to score the GWG. It is believed that Pernell tore a strip off his teammates in the room following this loss, out of frustration over being at best the 4th best defenceman on the ice during the game behind Weber, Jones and Markov- although a case could even be made for Ryan Ellis, who dispite not posting any points, was even on the +/- and had 3 takeaways.
Oct. 22, 2013 EDM
6) “Hey! There’s Hemsky just walking into the slot! Maybe I should just back away and reach- like this?”- Pernell Karl Subban
7) “I think the problem was that I got too close to Hemsky. Maybe if I get really far from Nuge, that will mess him up…” RNH’s screened shot gets kicked out to Smid, and he pots it.
8) Wow. Just wow. After a TERRIBLE line change- perhaps because Pernell was yelling at a teammate(s) on the bench, Pernell gets himself into the play by skating up to Ryan Jones, then allowing Jones to get around Price and away from Pernell before depositing the rebound past a helpless Price. RYAN ****ING JONES!?!?!
Oct. 29, 2013 DAL
9) When will you learn, Pernell? Don Cherry has been saying for years that you need to get your GD stick out of the way if you’re just going to stand there.
Nov. 1, 2013 MIN
10) Just look at him in the background here. This comes after another brutal pinch effort, but you can see from his body language that he followed that up with zero effort period to get back into the play on the backcheck.
Nov. 2, 2013 COL
11) Holy hell just stay at home if you aren’t going to engage the man! Loses sight of MacKinnon as he got caught watching the puck- not unlike a novice hockey player- and when he recognizes his man (too late) throws a 1-handed stick swing that doesn’t faze MacKinnon, or hinder the goal at all. This would have been an instance where taking a penalty is a good play- as long as it prevents a goal.
12) Maybe it’s the altitude. Here we see Pernell with all the time in the world to simply get the puck off the boards and to his partner, Markov. Instead, like a n00b, Pernell effectively passes the puck to O’Reilly by banking it off the net, and allowing O’Reilly to walk out and beat the “greatest back up in the NHL” Peter Budaj. But wait! Didn’t the NHL just change the size of the net? Surely that’s why such a world-class athlete such as Pernell would clip the back of the net instead of making that simple play to his partner? WHAT? They DEcreased the size of net? Yowza!
13) Empty net. PA Parenteau. LAAAAAZZZZZZYYYY effort, and a weak stick check= goal.
Hindsight is 20/20.. hockey is a very fast game and decisions have to be made within seconds. Taking a look at still shots of PK and saying what he should've done is kinda unfair. If someone did this to Karlsson I'm sure he'd look just as bad