HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers/Boston Red Sox

Old
11-05-2013, 01:55 PM
The Dream
User Registered

vCash: 500
Flyers/Boston Red Sox

Are the Flyers capable of making a full turn around in one years time assuming they end up having a poor year, which is still not totally decided?

The Red Sox finished 2012 at the bottom of the American League East Division and then proceed to finish 1st in 2013 and go on to win the World Series.

The Flyers are still capable of being a playoff team, but are they capable of being contenders in 2014? And if so, what has to happen for this to be possible?

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Garbage Goal

The MLB and NHL function completely differently in terms of league structure and contracts.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:20 PM
zarley zelepukin

As Kevin Garnett would say, anything is possible. But it sure isn't likely unless they can find a #1 defenseman somewhere, and a #2 center (assuming Lecavalier stays on the wing). Maybe Schenn or Couturier could be that #2, but maybe not.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Realistically no. But I'm holding out hope!

I guess you could say the Flyers salary dumped like the Red Sox did last year with Bryzgalov and Briere buyouts. Then reinvested that money to sign Lecavalier and Streit.

Lecavalier = Napoli??
Streit = Victorino??
Emery = ??David Ross??

idk, but i'm having fun with cross sport comparison

Dirty but Good is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Cromster

Just a couple years ago we went from dead last to next season's eastern conference finals.

We could do it again.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:38 PM
BillDineen

No way in h e double hockey sticks.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 03:03 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
Just a couple years ago we went from dead last to next season's eastern conference finals.

We could do it again.
huge different between then and now

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 03:05 PM
MP92

Wouldn't rule it out completely but not likely. MLB has no salary cap, which makes it a lot easier to dump big contracts.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Wouldn't rule it out completely but not likely. MLB has no salary cap, which makes it a lot easier to dump big contracts.
There's also big, well huge, disparities in salary spending among MLB teams with Boston being near the top of spending regularly.

Old
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The MLB and NHL function completely differently in terms of league structure and contracts.
I was only using Boston as a example. What I am really asking is it possible for the Flyers to be contenders in the following season? And if so what could they do from now to get to that point?

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I was only using Boston as a example. What I am really asking is it possible for the Flyers to be contenders in the following season? And if so what could they do from now to get to that point?
And I was pointing out that that example has no relevance.

The NHL is different. Most teams that can have a one year turnaround to some degree either have young, developing youth that are hitting their stride (a la Colorado) or they simply just needed a retool. With some very intelligent roster moves maybe a retool could do, but at the moment the D needs a complete overhaul (especially once the season is done and Timonen is pretty much done). The forward group is a bit of a mystery or enigma at this point.

When the last time the Flyers switched it all around in one season they had Peter Forsberg to trade, a buyer that was very interested, and they gambled on some free agent rights that worked out in their favor. We don't have Peter Forsberg to trade right now and it's unlikely things will work out as perfectly as they did that season turnaround.

Old
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM
laundryman

The problem with Boston before this year was that they loaded up on talent and had no cohesion within the team. This past year they brought in a lot of good clubhouse guys and who helped the team become closer and resurrected the careers of a few of their key players (Ortiz, Koji, Victorino, even Lackey)

That type of turnaround is hard to do unless you want to blow up the team which Boston did when they traded Crawford and Gonzalez to L.A. I don't see the Flyers blowing this team up again any time soon. I think they'll be better next year, but probably not as improved as the Red Sox werw

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:22 PM
CTU2fan

It's possible, just as it was possible for the Sox to do it. But it's also highly unlikely, and it was pretty unlikely for the Sox.

What gives us hope is that like the '12 Red Sox, these Flyers are (I hope) better talent-wise than their record currently indicates. The Sox lost 93 games in 2012 and finished last, but there were a lot of contributing factors to that beyond the actual talent on the filed, as evidenced by the 2011 team winning 90 games despite completely imploding in September. They had injuries, a knucklehead for a manager, and chemistry issues they needed to address. The Flyers had a solid squad as recently as 2011-12, last year was an odd situation with the lockout along with them being decimated by injuries, particularly on D. So the recipe is there...they could even turn this season around. The goaltending seems to be better, jury's still out on the D, and there's a track record with the group of forwards that suggests the scoring should come around to some degree.

Basically I'm saying probably not, but if some things break there way it's definitely possible.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:09 PM
JustJim

The difference, other than the obvious that baseball is ran different than hockey

Is that the Red Sox ownership made a good decision about hiring a better coaching staff.
Snider only hires from within, and he loves promoting former goons to manage his team.

I like Berube, but he wasn't a very good player during his playing career, so it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes another failure imposed by Snider.

I was never a fan of Paul Holmgren during his playing career. He was a goon, took stupid penalties, and he also wasn't a good coach.

As long as Snider continues to promote his in house goons to manage his team, I don't see them advancing to the NHL Stanley Cup finals in the very near future.

JustJim is online now   Reply With Quote