HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
  #926
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Well that's your problem Too bad because you're missing out.
I know

Andy is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:50 PM
  #927
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Oblivion for the 1st 30 minutes was amazing. As the movie progressed, it got increasingly more cheesy, obvious and stupid.
I agree. If you want something with a little more substance, watch Moon with Sam Rockwell.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  #928
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't watch sitcoms anymore. Every one I watch i compare to Seinfeld, and in my mind, nothing compares to Seinfeld.
I can completely understand this, but try It's always sunny. It's today's seinfeld, IMO. And I'm a HUGE fan of seinfeld.

overlords is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  #929
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ork
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't watch sitcoms anymore. Every one I watch i compare to Seinfeld, and in my mind, nothing compares to Seinfeld.
Try Louie. It's like watching Seinfeld without antidepressants

(see above comments )

Bloumeister is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM
  #930
kingdok
Registered User
 
kingdok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I agree. If you want something with a little more substance, watch Moon with Sam Rockwell.
I was seriously comparing this with Moon the whole time I was watching it.

kingdok is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:54 PM
  #931
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
I love Louis CK. That scene is as good as it gets for 'Lucky Louie', but it's nowhere near as good as anything on 'Louie'.

'Lucky Louie' is your (sub)standard TV sitcom with foul language and a bit of raunchiness. What makes it work is the chemistry between Louis CK and Pam Adlon.



'Louie' is a one-of-a-kind **********ing piece of art. Such a uniquely great show. How Louis CK can write a show where he can portray himself as pathetic one moment then sublimely hilarious the next while keeping the stories compelling is beyond me. I love the discomfort (for lack of a better description) he sets in the situations he creates: he deconstructs the 'sit-slash-com' concept. Considering he does it all by himself (writing and directing alone for the most part), I'd say the guy's a storytelling genius.
Now I am interested, is Pam Adlon in Louie as well as Lucky Louie? I thought Louie was loosely based on Louis CK's real life, what part does she play?

Agnostic is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:56 PM
  #932
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ork
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I agree. If you want something with a little more substance, watch Moon with Sam Rockwell.
Great suggestion. Rockwell is solid as always, and Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son) is a great up-and-coming director. By no means a perfect flick, but much better sci-fi than the average Hollywod formulaic CGIfests

Ground control to Major Tom

Bloumeister is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 05:56 PM
  #933
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
I think I am done with Homeland.

Spoil:
Brody is gone and I really dont care about the Dana and her mother story line.



P.S. American Horror Story is fantastic
Spoil:
For one second i tough you wrote dead rather than gone...or i misread...i dunno.. Nearly got an heart attack reading that Brody was dead and didnt watch it yet...Seriously this show is awesome still.

LastChancePrice is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:09 PM
  #934
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
What child-rearing?
The love story was not the point of the movie, it was tertiary.

You're commenting on things that are not central to the movie. The point was the allegory on drone warfare and its effects on the human condition, and current global geopolitics and social relations.

"We are... an effective team" is a lot more important than the child-rearing aspect I don't even remember. I wouldn't call that cliche and campy, as Oblivion tackled a social issue that is of tremendous importance to current social relations (the "human microphone" and crowd appeasement in general) and one that I have not seen tackled elsewhere. It can't be cliche to me if I have not seen it done before.

However, the social issue tackled "We are... an effective team" is one that people are not emotionally ready to listen to, so it doesn't resonate.
What the plot is about and what the plot is really about are usually different things.

It was a pretty interesting movie from the beginning but quickly lost focus and became a bit of a mess, I don't think it's fair to applaud it on its concept if it doesn't really address the question it raises.

Like Elysium, just bringing up an issue doesn't make the film profound. That said, it was entertaining enough... but I find a way to enjoy most of the movies I watch (knowing the immensity of what it takes to make them, I have to respect the effort), I even liked Start Trek: Into Darkness


What I absolutely detest and will NEVER watch is another superhero movie. No more Batmans, Supermans, Spidermans, IronMans, Avengers, Thors, Aquamans, whatever. Enough is enough. Their stories are non-existent and they all suck. If you just want "mindless action" there are more immersive movies than MEDIOCRE CGI 2: THE REVENGE OF THE CGI

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  #935
Bloumeister
Nanu nanu
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ork
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Now I am interested, is Pam Adlon in Louie as well as Lucky Louie? I thought Louie was loosely based on Louis CK's real life, what part does she play?
It's a twisted fiction, what Louis CK's life COULD look like. (I'm hoping he's not this poor helpless SOB in real life ) Pamela Adlon is one of the semi-recurring characters, but I won't tell you what role she plays, it'd spoil your viewing pleasure. Let's just say that this is NOT a sitcom and that character development is... unusual, to say the least. Things are rarely what you expect. It's one of those rare shows where you don't see the twists coming. The payoff is always rewarding.

I can rave about this show 'til tonight's game is over.

Bloumeister is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:12 PM
  #936
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So the movie becomes a good if one if I don't pay attention to this or that or this or that. As a whole the movie was bad storytelling.

You must have pretty low standards to say a movie was solely on the uniqueness of its social message when the way it was wrapped up (in terms of plot and story) and presented was bad. The clone story was cliche, the love-triangle was cliche, the human vs drone battle was campy. Morgan Freeman ending up on the alien uterus thing was predictable and campy. The ending with the wife in the camp area being confronted by the clone and somehow being magically in love. It really was disappointed. I've never watched a movie that dipped that much into crappiness after having such an awesome first 30 minutes. It was the most disappointing summer movie after the Man of Steel.
You're accusing me of low standards even though you just brought up the mass corporate, pop-culture pulp of Seinfeld as the apex of humour. Dude, seriously.

[ETA: I like Seinfeld, but when somebody calls it the greatest thing ever, well ... ]

I'm sorry you didn't like it, but the fact you're focusing on tertiary plot elements supports my thesis that Oblivion failed commercially because its allegory flew over people's heads.

Morgan Freeman ending up in the alien uterus was predictable because that was the plan. Freeman and Cruise had agreed to join forces to fight the Tet. Of course it's predictable, they tell you it's going to happen.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
  #937
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,112
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Random movie: The American

It's slowly paced and meditative but an interesting foray... of course watch it after the game tonight.
I watched this a while ago because I like slower-paced movies and I thought the concept sounded interesting and Clooney's cool and all that...I didn't really care for it in the end, but as I watched it I said to myself that it probably works better as a book.

Not long ago I was in Chapters and the book was dirt cheap as part of some clearance sale so I picked it up and just finished reading it...and I still didn't care for it.

All that to say I invested a lot of time in a story I really didn't end up enjoying at all in the end. What can you do.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
  #938
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Now I am interested, is Pam Adlon in Louie as well as Lucky Louie? I thought Louie was loosely based on Louis CK's real life, what part does she play?
Louie is a surrealist show but it is definitely worth the activation energy expended - it's about the nature of stand-up comedy, what bits of life come to inspire Louis CK's stand-up material and how they shape his perspective. The thing is, as a surrealist bit, there are no "characters" and the show kinda meanders between magical realism, fantasy, hyper-reality and all that. Basically go into the show just open to the idea that what you're seeing isn't a sitcom, it's more about the fleeting random scenes which inspire standup acts.

The multiple-episode arc with David Lynch and David Letterman in season3 was an impressive achievement in many ways.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
  #939
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't watch sitcoms anymore. Every one I watch i compare to Seinfeld, and in my mind, nothing compares to Seinfeld.
Curb your Enthusiasm is closest to Seinfeld. It's regularly cited and some of the cast even make appearances. One episode even convinced M. J. Fox to get into sitcoms with ''The Michael J. Fox Show''. Give it a try, the formula is essentially the same.

I love Louie too but damn sometimes it's depressing. The greatest thing about the show is that it seems genuine. Also love the way he fathers his girls. I'm also a big big fan of his standup.

Parks and Rec is great, but too bad it's the last of the trifecta that included The Office and 30Rock which I both loved and it seems like time is ticking for this one too.

I don't know if many of you have heard about The IT Crowd, it's a bit obscure. While I love the four shows mentioned above in terms of comedy, none has made me laugh consistently and as hard as TIC, its balls to the wall tears in your eyes funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Louie is a surrealist show but it is definitely worth the activation energy expended - it's about the nature of stand-up comedy, what bits of life come to inspire Louis CK's stand-up material and how they shape his perspective. The thing is, as a surrealist bit, there are no "characters" and the show kinda meanders between magical realism, fantasy, hyper-reality and all that. Basically go into the show just open to the idea that what you're seeing isn't a sitcom, it's more about the fleeting random scenes which inspire standup acts.

The multiple-episode arc with David Lynch and David Letterman in season3 was an impressive achievement in many ways.
You explained it a lot better, and yes, the David Letterman arc was fantastic. Highlight of the show.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:18 PM
  #940
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I watched this a while ago because I like slower-paced movies and I thought the concept sounded interesting and Clooney's cool and all that...I didn't really care for it in the end, but as I watched it I said to myself that it probably works better as a book.

Not long ago I was in Chapters and the book was dirt cheap as part of some clearance sale so I picked it up and just finished reading it...and I still didn't care for it.

All that to say I invested a lot of time in a story I really didn't end up enjoying at all in the end. What can you do.
It's one of those random, decent movies. I'm not saying that everybody should watch it but as a slow, meditative movie set in Italy, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed The Tourist in a North by Northwest kinda way while apparently everybody hated it, so maybe I just have a thing for movies with pretty backdrops.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:21 PM
  #941
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,112
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's one of those random, decent movies. I'm not saying that everybody should watch it but as a slow, meditative movie set in Italy, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed The Tourist in a North by Northwest kinda way while apparently everybody hated it, so maybe I just have a thing for movies with pretty backdrops.
I do too, which is why I was hoping I'd like The American more than I did (haven't seen The Tourist)...or why I stuck with it hoping to find something I'd like - it seems like the kind of thing I should enjoy.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  #942
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I do too, which is why I was hoping I'd like The American more than I did (haven't seen The Tourist)...or why I stuck with it hoping to find something I'd like - it seems like the kind of thing I should enjoy.
Please tell me you've seen the Before Sunrise movies, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly... and Woody Allen's European movies.

edit: The Talented Mister Ripley had really pretty images too

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  #943
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I can completely understand this, but try It's always sunny. It's today's seinfeld, IMO. And I'm a HUGE fan of seinfeld.
I never could get into Sunny' or Parks'. I don't know what makes them different but they just never got a laugh out of me. I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld, Curb', Louie CK, Extras (anything with Ricky and Stephen), the first few seasons of The Office (then it fizzled, then it sucked). Everyone keeps telling me Sunny and Parks' are the same kind of humour as those, but I just can't get into them for some reason.

David_99 is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  #944
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
What the plot is about and what the plot is really about are usually different things.

It was a pretty interesting movie from the beginning but quickly lost focus and became a bit of a mess, I don't think it's fair to applaud it on its concept if it doesn't really address the question it raises.

Like Elysium, just bringing up an issue doesn't make the film profound. That said, it was entertaining enough... but I find a way to enjoy most of the movies I watch (knowing the immensity of what it takes to make them, I have to respect the effort), I even liked Start Trek: Into Darkness
Elysium, like Man of Steel, Thor 2, and Pacific Rim, had boring action sequences. In particular, the action sequences in Elysium went on too long.

Oblivion's concept is not "cliche", it's completely original as far as I know. It's an allegory for drone warfare, its effect on the human condition, and the sociological mechanisms needed to support that superstructure. I think the movie would have been more successful if it:
1) Came out in 2018 and not 2013, by which time people will be more ready for it.
2) Had more heavy-handed exposition to tell us what the plot is about.

Oblivion may come off as science fiction, but it's exactly what people in the middle east experience, and soon people in North America and Europe will experience that as well. Being watched from space, by a technologically superior object, driven by a false promise of joining the upper classes in some unreachable location (Titan) that probably doesn't even exist. You're fighting a false enemy on behalf of a boss who you think is your friend but you in fact have more in common with your enemy, most of the people you're fighting with are in fact your clones (an allegory for military uniformity and the inevitable uniformity of capitalism), the resources of your planet are being drained away as all you have left of a once mighty civilisation are remnants of books and statues.

And so on and so fourth. It's a fairly complete allegory, an allegory of something that hasn't been done in a major scifi blockbuster before. However, it flew over people's heads. I'll admit that's a failure of the film, as I wrote above: more heavy-handed exposition would have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
What I absolutely detest and will NEVER watch is another superhero movie. No more Batmans, Supermans, Spidermans, IronMans, Avengers, Thors, Aquamans, whatever. Enough is enough. Their stories are non-existent and they all suck. If you just want "mindless action" there are more immersive movies than MEDIOCRE CGI 2: THE REVENGE OF THE CGI
Some good comic book movies:
X-Men First Class
Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
Sin City
300

Those are the ones I can recommend to people outside the nerd community. I think they're fundamentally good, as opposed to just being glorified nerdgasms like Thor 2.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  #945
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Surprised californication hasn't been mentioned here yet.
Californication is great. Ironicially as much as people hate cliffhangers, the first season ended too neatly/perfectly and I never went back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't watch sitcoms anymore. Every one I watch i compare to Seinfeld, and in my mind, nothing compares to Seinfeld.
If you like Seinfeld then might I suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's written and created by the co-creator of Seinfeld, Larry David. Some people even like the show better than Seinfeld so it's worth checking out.

For my comedic tastes I enjoy Modern Family, Community and New Girl.

Bryson is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  #946
lostriver
Registered User
 
lostriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Our Lady of Grace
Country: Canada
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Are you talking about Louie or Lucky Louie and what's the diff between the 2?

lostriver is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:32 PM
  #947
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Californication is great. Ironicially as much as people hate cliffhangers, the first season ended too neatly/perfectly and I never went back to it.



If you like Seinfeld then might I suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm? It's written and created by the co-creator of Seinfeld, Larry David. Some people even like the show better than Seinfeld so it's worth checking out.

For my comedic tastes I enjoy Community and New Girl.
Yeah, I've seen every Curb episode. I love it, not as good as Seinfeld, but still awesome.

Andy is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:35 PM
  #948
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
And so on and so fourth. It's a fairly complete allegory, an allegory of something that hasn't been done in a major scifi blockbuster before.
I see the allegory but I still don't think it was an effective story. I might have to watch it again though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Some good comic book movies:
X-Men First Class
Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
Watchmen
Sin City
300
My list would begin and end with The Dark Knight and Watchmen, maybe Batman Begins but definitely not Rises. The rest of them, if the main characters didn't have superpowers, would expose the terrible dialogue, plot devices and acting which plague these movies.

X-Men could've been about what it means to be a mutant, what it means to be really different and all that. So much rich subtext available and they chose the wrong themes every. single. time.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 06:44 PM
  #949
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I see the allegory but I still don't think it was an effective story. I might have to watch it again though.
I'll admit to something else: I'm easily swayed by magnificent cinematography :-) As another example, it took me a while to understand why Prometheus was a failed movie, because I found it so beautiful.

I agree the film has flaws, but it's a much better film than many films which did better, and I think those flaws apply to a lot of more successful films with both audience box office markers and critics scores. I think it failed in those regards because it was too advanced for the audience and critics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
My list would begin and end with The Dark Knight and Watchmen, maybe Batman Begins but definitely not Rises. The rest of them, if the main characters didn't have superpowers, would expose the terrible dialogue, plot devices and acting which plague these movies.

X-Men could've been about what it means to be a mutant, what it means to be really different and all that. So much rich subtext available and they chose the wrong themes every. single. time.
I agree on the X-men trilogy but not First Class. I thought that one told a good, character-driven and original story.

Did you not enjoy Sin City?

:-(

DAChampion is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
  #950
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Louie is a surrealist show but it is definitely worth the activation energy expended - it's about the nature of stand-up comedy, what bits of life come to inspire Louis CK's stand-up material and how they shape his perspective. The thing is, as a surrealist bit, there are no "characters" and the show kinda meanders between magical realism, fantasy, hyper-reality and all that. Basically go into the show just open to the idea that what you're seeing isn't a sitcom, it's more about the fleeting random scenes which inspire standup acts.

The multiple-episode arc with David Lynch and David Letterman in season3 was an impressive achievement in many ways.

Why do I get the feeling in this thread that to read your posts I should be wearing a monocle and tweed sport coat smoking a pipe and sipping XO cognac.

Agnostic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.