HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Umm.
I know, I know.

Still, it's too much to ask for the idiots in management to put a competitive team on the ice I suppose.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
hallsyoilerforever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
That fat tub of **** Bob Stauffer just said Oilers fans are fickle.
Fickle isn't even the closest word to describe oiler fans. What a typical comment from a puppet.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
That fat tub of **** Bob Stauffer just said Oilers fans are fickle.
Link?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:03 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Link?
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
Based on twitter, e-mails, texts to @OilersNow SOME have U have given up on some of the kids. Fickle lot...we'll C where we R at in a week

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:32 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
Based on twitter, e-mails, texts to @OilersNow SOME have U have given up on some of the kids. Fickle lot...we'll C where we R at in a week
Talk about ridiculous. This is the most loyal fanbase in the league (well maybe TO, but we're top 2)

11-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Alex87

Quote:
I know, I know.

Still, it's too much to ask for the idiots in management to put a competitive team on the ice I suppose.
Haha, I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not.

I'm not sure if I have a breaking point as a fan. But in 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, and 12/13, we weren't talking about missing the playoffs this early on. Now we basically know in November that we're not going to make it, so this is about as low as I've ever felt as a hockey fan.

I still remember being 9 years old and crying when the Oilers lost Game 5 to the Avalanche in '97. It was such a letdown after the thrill that was the Dallas series. What I wouldn't give to have those days back.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:24 PM
grego

I have stopped believing in many of the players at this point. I understand blaming coaches, GMs and the culture but the guys on the Oilers are supposed to be pros. Even if they aren't given the best of all things they are capable of winning more and being in games.

I haven't even seen them trying for quite a while and for that reason I have lost an inner interest in the Oilers. I will always be a fan and I await actually feeling some kind of passion for the team as a lifelong Oilers fan.

Right now if someone that isn't an Oilers fan were to talk about the Oilers I would likely go on and make more insults about the team than any Flames or Canucks fan can be capable of doing.

I long to see a less talented team like we had in the 90s that actually cared about the game and wanted to win.

People look at a couple holes on the team and say that is why we can't win. Look back at gaping holes we had many times in the past. We had worse defence in the past and we still won, we had unknown goalies that were definately no better any maybe worse than Dubnyk and we could win more than we did now. The difference was the players played hard.

I used to be proud that the Oilers would play any game, especially the playoffs to win. They didn't have to be better on paper as they could knock off any team on a given night.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:26 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I have stopped believing in many of the players at this point. I understand blaming coaches, GMs and the culture but the guys on the Oilers are supposed to be pros. Even if they aren't given the best of all things they are capable of winning more and being in games.

I haven't even seen them trying for quite a while and for that reason I have lost an inner interest in the Oilers. I will always be a fan and I await actually feeling some kind of passion for the team as a lifelong Oilers fan.

Right now if someone that isn't an Oilers fan were to talk about the Oilers I would likely go on and make more insults about the team than any Flames or Canucks fan can be capable of doing.

I long to see a less talented team like we had in the 90s that actually cared about the game and wanted to win.

People look at a couple holes on the team and say that is why we can't win. Look back at gaping holes we had many times in the past. We had worse defence in the past and we still won, we had unknown goalies that were definately no better any maybe worse than Dubnyk and we could win more than we did now. The difference was the players played hard.

I used to be proud that the Oilers would play any game, especially the playoffs to win. They didn't have to be better on paper as they could knock off any team on a given night.
No kidding. In 2002 we had a hockey club with a top line comprised of Smyth-Anson Carter - Cleary and we made the second round of the playoffs.

Now we have all these wonder kids and are last place.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
No kidding. In 2002 we had a hockey club with a top line comprised of Smyth-Anson Carter - Cleary and we made the second round of the playoffs.

Now we have all these wonder kids and are last place.
You must have blocked out all those Dallas matchups, and all the overtime goals from the blueline Tommy Salo let in.

The oilers didn't get past the first round of the playoffs after 98 until they made the finals in 2006

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:45 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You must have blocked out all those Dallas matchups, and all the overtime goals from the blueline Tommy Salo let in.

The oilers didn't get past the first round of the playoffs after 98 until they made the finals in 2006
Ah, you correct, Dallas ousted us in first round. I read conference quarter finals, registered Semi.

<_<

I hurting.

Point stands still... Why the hell can a team with Brad Isbister and Mike York on the secpond line make the dance without a single good defenceman and an over the hill Salo...

Most of those 2000's Oilers teams had virtually no talent aside from Weight, who was traded in 02.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Ah, you correct, Dallas ousted us in first round. I read conference quarter finals, registered Semi.

<_<

I hurting.

Point stands still... Why the hell can a team with Brad Isbister and Mike York on the secpond line make the dance without a single good defenceman and an over the hill Salo...

Most of those 2000's Oilers teams had virtually no talent aside from Weight, who was traded in 02.
Those teams weren't that bad.

They had some fantastic role players that made the team very successful playing conservative defensive systems, a base core which helped make the 2006 run possible.

But grinding out a regular season to get into the playoffs is different than grinding out wins against stacked teams who paid out twice as much on roster talent in the playoffs.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Psychoil

my breaking point will be when the florida panthers snipe a goal on.......ah ****, too late

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:31 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
I broke this summer. When it became clear how absolutely out of touch Lowe was during the MacT hiring presser (to say nothing of the fact that the org hired another rookie GM, who hired a rookie coach), I lost all hope.

His reaction to being criticized—not even the 6 rings thing, but the astonished look on his face when a reporter implied that he might somehow be responsible for any lack of success—was all the confirmation I needed to know that from the top on down there is absolutely no real institutional desire to win.
You just summed up nearly a decade of futility perfectly in two paragraphs. Well ****ing said.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:41 PM
AssistantCaptain*

The trade that broke the camels back

Considering what we just witnessed with Smid and the signing of Bryzgov, what kind of trade would it take for you to retire as a fan of the oilers? The organization has been passively managing this team and now that they feel the heat they decide to frantically make changes. I have no faith in management because it's quite evident they lack logic and executing diligently. (Ex. Signing bryzgalov now rather than the off season)

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

"Fan" of the Oilers? I'm no fan of theirs. I don't cheer what they do. They are my team, though.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
MrOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Considering what we just witnessed with Smid and the signing of Bryzgov, what kind of trade would it take for you to retire as a fan of the oilers? The organization has been passively managing this team and now that they feel the heat they decide to frantically make changes. I have no faith in management because it's quite evident they lack logic and executing diligently. (Ex. Signing bryzgalov now rather than the off season)
See ya.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:55 PM
40oz

I don't think some of you people understand what being a fan means...

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
timekeep

The trade that restarts the rebuild.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I don't think some of you people understand what being a fan means...
fan - a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art form, or famous person

Now all can understand.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:59 PM
AssistantCaptain*

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/11/8...or-magic-beans

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Doppler Drift

I've been a fan since they were the Alberta Oilers in the first season of the WHA. I haven't lived in Edmonton for decades and I still stick with them. Glutton for punishment I guess.

Last edited by Doppler Drift: 11-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
See ya.
Your opinion isn't relevant.

This team is a joke. This trade is insulting. The players on the team are losers. Anyone who thinks otherwise deserves to cheer for this mess.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Paralyzer008

Smid and Roy for Brossoit and Horak

Seriously, I might cheer on someone else, I haven't decided yet.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:18 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Your opinion isn't relevant.

This team is a joke. This trade is insulting. The players on the team are losers. Anyone who thinks otherwise deserves to cheer for this mess.
And yours is?

Didn't you say already you're done with this team?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Smid and Roy for Brossoit and Horak

Seriously, I might cheer on someone else, I haven't decided yet.
I will withhold judgement till Brossoit lets a goal in playing in echl nobody has scored on him his first 3 games.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote