HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

GDT: 12/16/06 Carolina @ Tampa Bay

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Bolt32

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Who scored the two goals??
Sorry maria it was Ryan craig and St. louis...but like it matters. YOu know what guys if we keep playing like this i say we bench both denis and homer and let our rookies get some ice time.....might as well let the young guys get exp because expecting us to make the playoffs never the less contend for the cup with the way were playing is borderline insanity

Old
12-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Maria

Thanks, i know it doesn't change anything, im just happy that Ryan scored.

How did Vinny and Brad play? i forgot to tape it.

Old
12-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Seattle Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
I think Affy deserves more of a chance. He's a good player, with great hands. He should be given more opportunities.
I really have to disagree with you here. Affy doesn't have anything close to "great hands." He has been given an opportunity and he failed. He is a good stickhandler, but it means nothing if he can't finish. The only time he had success was 1999 in juniors.

GP G A
2006-07 Tampa Bay NHL 28 3 3
2005-06 Tampa Bay NHL 68 9 6
2004-05 Lada Togliatti Rus 30 2 9
2003-04 Tampa Bay NHL 71 6 10
2002-03 Springfield AHL 41 4 9
2001-02 Tampa Bay NHL 5 0 0
2001-02 Grand Rapids AHL 18 1 2
2001-02 Springfield AHL 28 4 5
2001-02 Total Spg/GR AHL 46 5 7
2000-01 Tampa Bay NHL 9 1 1
2000-01 Detroit IHL 65 15 22
1999-00 Sherbrooke QMJHL 60 56 43
1998-99 Sherbrooke QMJHL 51 23 30
1998-99 Moncton QMJHL 15 5 5
1998-99 Total Mct/She QMJHL 66 28 35
1997-98 Yaroslavl Rus2 48 14 7
1996-97 Yaroslavl Rus3 45 20 15
1995-96 Yaroslavl Rus2 25 10 5
1995-96 Yaroslavl Rus Jr. 35 28 16

Old
12-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Seattle Kev

Quote:
I entirely disagree, Burkie is an amazing goalie, who deserves far better treatment than what this organization has given him. He has far more talent than Denis and holmqvist put together.
Burke was a good goalie during his career. He is not anymore. Nice guy, but means nothing if the puck always gets behind him. He can't even find success in the AHL. He would get slaughtered in the quicker NHL!!!!!

Old
12-17-2006, 04:05 PM
boltsgirl41922

Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Well, I think you're wrong in regards to both instances. Torts himself said that Affy has great hands.

Burkie wasnt slaughtered last year.

You're just wrong

Old
12-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Where'd everyone else go?
Vacation until next week. Didn't see the game, but heard some of it on my laptop. Sounded like Denis played well, but the defense in front of him didn't do much to help.

Afansenkov has had his chances to be a scoring line winger. He's been paired with Lecavalier at times last year, he's been on a line with Richards and Marty....yet he continues to fail to put up numbers. Oh sure, he's got great hands that makes some nifty dekes.....then he misses the net completely with the shot. He played his best in 03-04 when he was on the checking line with Andy and Taylor. Since then, he's been useless. He'll have a two goal game every once in a while and then do nothing for six weeks. He has tools, but it doesn't look like he will ever put it all together to become a top 6 winger.

Old
12-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Bolthed

Quote:
Well, I think you're wrong in regards to both instances. Torts himself said that Affy has great hands.

Burkie wasnt slaughtered last year.

You're just wrong
Strike that, reverse it.

Vgirl, you're not going to impress anyone with your hockey IQ if the two guys you are trumpeting are Afanasenkov and Burke. One of them has a measley 3 goals and 3 assists despite some prime ice time/linemates and might not even have a future in the NHL. The other IS most definitely struggling in the AHL. That's A ... the minors. I agree with the poster that said he would get slaughtered in the NHL right now. Old players eventually retire, Vgirl. You have to accept that they don't all want to retire, most of them HAVE to retire.

Old
12-17-2006, 05:02 PM
boltsgirl41922

Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Strike that, reverse it.

Vgirl, you're not going to impress anyone with your hockey IQ if the two guys you are trumpeting are Afanasenkov and Burke. One of them has a measley 3 goals and 3 assists despite some prime ice time/linemates and might not even have a future in the NHL. The other IS most definitely struggling in the AHL. That's A ... the minors. I agree with the poster that said he would get slaughtered in the NHL right now. Old players eventually retire, Vgirl. You have to accept that they don't all want to retire, most of them HAVE to retire.
I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm putting my opinions out there, which I believe, is a right I was guaranteed by the Bill of Rights (see the Constitution). Just because my opinions are different than others' that doesnt mean I'm necessarily wrong.

Affy had prime ice time with good linemates at the beginning of the year, and how many points did Richards have with him? He cant be both play maker and scorer. The guy was on the line only at the beginning of the season, and the whole team wasnt playing its best hockey (then again, it's still not playing its best hockey). Everyone started hating on him because of one bad "hope pass", but what everyone else fails to notice is that he's not the only one to make mistakes like that.

Yes players retire, but its usually their choice when to hang 'em up. I dont think it should be a team to make the decision for the guy.

How's he supposed to get out of a slump if he's not allowed to touch the surface of the ice?

He was pretty damn good last year. He gave us a chance to win game 5 against Ottawa, he was able to beat the ***** Cats, he shut out his former team, he was gold when given the opportunity to play consistently.

Old
12-17-2006, 05:04 PM
boltsgirl41922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Vacation until next week. Didn't see the game, but heard some of it on my laptop. Sounded like Denis played well, but the defense in front of him didn't do much to help.

Afansenkov has had his chances to be a scoring line winger. He's been paired with Lecavalier at times last year, he's been on a line with Richards and Marty....yet he continues to fail to put up numbers. Oh sure, he's got great hands that makes some nifty dekes.....then he misses the net completely with the shot. He played his best in 03-04 when he was on the checking line with Andy and Taylor. Since then, he's been useless. He'll have a two goal game every once in a while and then do nothing for six weeks. He has tools, but it doesn't look like he will ever put it all together to become a top 6 winger.
He has not been useless! He won the game against the Bruins last year right before Olympic break. He is a good player, and deserves a chance to play on a top line consistently. He's been on top line for what? 3 games? He isnt used to it, he needs a period of time to get used to it.

Old
12-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Bolthed

If you deserve to be on a scoring line, you have to at least show that you can contribute to the offensive statsheet. Affy has not done that on ANY line. You might think he's a good player, but you're pretty much alone in that opinion. You might want to reconsider it. Just a friendly suggestion. Affy hasn't exactly proven he belongs in the NHL, and at age 26, his chances might soon run out. He has OK speed and can stickhandle, but those aren't the skills that get you an NHL career - you have to be able to do something like score or pass or hit or fight. I have yet to see Affy actually do any of those things consistently well. But if you have, I'd love to hear some facts to back up such an assertion.

Oh and if you want to see what it looks like when a player performs his way on to a scoring line and then actually scores enough to DESERVE to stay there - look at Eric Perrin.

Old
12-17-2006, 08:44 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
Save percentage and goals against mean nothing. If a goalie has a GAA of 7 and the team averages 10 goals a game it really doesn't matter does it?
Huh?

We give up 7 goals a game, and this place will get ugly.

Old
12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
I think his point is that is doesn't matter what the goalie stats look like as long as they're getting the W.

Which isn't really relevant, cause the stats look like trash, and we aren't getting the W's.

Old
12-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Seattle Kev

Quote:
He has not been useless! He won the game against the Bruins last year right before Olympic break. He is a good player, and deserves a chance to play on a top line consistently. He's been on top line for what? 3 games? He isnt used to it, he needs a period of time to get used to it.
Every dog has its day.

Just like others and myself have said, he was given a chance to be on the top line. He failed. He is a good stickhandler who can't finish. It means nothing when he can't score nor pass it to other teammates. Based on the stats provided, where are those great hands? I don't care what Torts have said. Stats don't lie.

Burke a good goalie???? Can you explain the 7 games played, 4.52 GAA and .856 save percentage? I like Burke, but he is way past his prime. He is a mediocore back up at best. I would much rather have Boutin or Ramo up with the big club than Burke.

IMO, what this team is lacking is (1) a shooter and (2) toughness. We are hurting without Modin. He meant more to this team than most realized. When I say toughness, I don't mean lack of enforcers. There is no physical play. Nobody takes the body. Is it the coaching that prevents this or the players? If it's coaching, there MUST be a change. I would like to see more players like Dustin Brown. Guys who are willing to take the body. The day of bonafide enforcers are dead. Just my two cents.

Old
12-18-2006, 05:48 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I have become numb to the ineptness that is the Tampa Bay Lightning.

And, please stop bringing up Sean Burke and how he's a "great" goalie. You're just baiting everyone around here.

On both points.

Old
12-18-2006, 08:04 AM
gobolt7

I sense this thread going down an ugly path, and I am too tired to deal with any of that today. So I am going to shut it down.

Closed Thread