HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Chicago - Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza

Old
10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Anyway, you'd have to find the kind of bar with a ton of TVs and all of the packages. Can't really think of any around downtown like that.

That said, the game is 2/3rds over now, so moot point.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Exactly what came to mind.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Mascht88

vCash: 500
Hey guys,

I am finally flying into Chicago today and I am going to watch the Hawks games tonight and on Wednesday.
But what brings me in this thread is that I am trying to find a nice bar to watch the Bears vs. Packers game tomorrow. I am staying in a hotel next to the Diversey metro station. Any suggestions where I could watch the Bears and have a great time with as many Bears fans as possible? Also at what time should my two buddies and I get there to get a table?
Thanks for your answer in advance.

Mascht88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Never been there, but I've heard pretty good things about Michael Diversey's. It's about a five minute walk east from the L stop.

Kirkwood Bar & Grill might be a dece option too, to the north on Sheffield.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Mascht88

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Never been there, but I've heard pretty good things about Michael Diversey's. It's about a five minute walk east from the L stop.
Thanks for your answer. Michael Diversey's is right next to our hotel, so we will give it a try.

Mascht88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I am not visiting, but relocating to Chicago. I was hoping you all could give me some advice on where to live.

I will be working in The Loop. For the first 6-8 months I will be on a fairly tight budget and likely rely on mass transit.

So what are some cheap, safe, and walkable places within a 30 min ride to the Loop?

*My definition of safe stems from living in South St. Louis, so take that as you may.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:04 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Are there any bars good for pregaming within walking distance to the UC?

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:21 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I am not visiting, but relocating to Chicago. I was hoping you all could give me some advice on where to live.

I will be working in The Loop. For the first 6-8 months I will be on a fairly tight budget and likely rely on mass transit.

So what are some cheap, safe, and walkable places within a 30 min ride to the Loop?

*My definition of safe stems from living in South St. Louis, so take that as you may.
Well, that's tough, to be honest. Do you have a specific maximum per month in mind you'd be willing to spend on rent?

And if you don't mind taking rides on the L, there are probably lots of options available, as I can go from Evanston (far north) to the Loop in under 45 minutes on the red line. I'd venture a guess and say that living relatively closer to the red line or the blue line would be more reliable than living by the other lines.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Are there any bars good for pregaming within walking distance to the UC?
Never pregamed there, tbqh, but probably the WestEnd on Madison. Probably only a ten-fifteen minute walk away.

Closer restaurants like the Billy Goat and the Palace Grill, too, but they're not watering holes.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Well, that's tough, to be honest. Do you have a specific maximum per month in mind you'd be willing to spend on rent?

And if you don't mind taking rides on the L, there are probably lots of options available, as I can go from Evanston (far north) to the Loop in under 45 minutes on the red line. I'd venture a guess and say that living relatively closer to the red line or the blue line would be more reliable than living by the other lines.
Probably looking at $800-1000 per month for the 6-8 months I mentioned, then move up to $1200-1400 thereafter. I would like to keep travel time to 30 min or so each way, but budget takes precedence.

The L will most likely be my main mode of transportation. I can't see using a car to get to the Loop as being viable (time & money), but maybe I am wrong?

What is the difference between the Red & Blue vs Green & Brown lines in terms of reliability?

Old
11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Well, at least from my experience, the red and blue have more trains than the other lines, plus they're the only 24/7 lines so you'll never have to worry about a very late night out drinking and finding you missed the last brown line train in the very early hours. For rush hour only though, all lines should be fine.

That being said, there has been a lot of construction on the south red the past few months, but sounds like they're almost done and that section of the track had gotten a lot better.

I'd suggest looking either a bit further north or amongst the near west side fairly close to the UIC campus. Don't have much experience beyond that, as the only time I lived in Chicago itself was with a very lucky and relatively cheap sublet in the Printer's Row neighborhood of the South Loop, but good luck finding a place in the Loop itself for under a grand. Maybe the presidential towers, where my brother lived for a year, which is just to the west of the river, but probably not many more options beyond that in the near Loop itself.

Someone from the city itself might have a better idea, though.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Well, at least from my experience, the red and blue have more trains than the other lines, plus they're the only 24/7 lines so you'll never have to worry about a very late night out drinking and finding you missed the last brown line train in the very early hours. For rush hour only though, all lines should be fine.

That being said, there has been a lot of construction on the south red the past few months, but sounds like they're almost done and that section of the track had gotten a lot better.

I'd suggest looking either a bit further north or amongst the near west side fairly close to the UIC campus. Don't have much experience beyond that, as the only time I lived in Chicago itself was with a very lucky and relatively cheap sublet in the Printer's Row neighborhood of the South Loop, but good luck finding a place in the Loop itself for under a grand. Maybe the presidential towers, where my brother lived for a year, which is just to the west of the river, but probably not many more options beyond that in the near Loop itself.

Someone from the city itself might have a better idea, though.
I would actually prefer to be outside of downtown. Just an example of where I have been looking: Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Rosco Village, Ravenswood and Edgewater, among others. Also considering Oak Park. So, primarily North/Northwest.

Thanks for the info on the L lines. That will come in handy!

Old
11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

Closer restaurants like the Billy Goat and the Palace Grill, too, but they're not watering holes.
Never been to Billy Goat?

Of course it is.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:08 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Oh, then in that case you probably have lots of options. End of the Blue Line in Forest park (just to the west of Oak Park) to the Loop is about a half hour.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Never been to Billy Goat?

Of course it is.
Been a while. Guess I just more remember it as a burger joint versus a bar.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

I mean, yeah, they're known for burgers because of SNL and what not, but it has a full bar with 2 house beers and everything.

It's nice, cuz I can go in with my brother who's not 21 yet.

Old
11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Man, then my memory stinks, then.

Old
11-06-2013, 01:50 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Fair enough, haha.

Old
11-07-2013, 08:10 AM
rkoroll

Quote:
I mean, yeah, they're known for burgers because of SNL and what not, but it has a full bar with 2 house beers and everything.

It's nice, cuz I can go in with my brother who's not 21 yet.
Double Cheese Burga right? After the last Hawks game I was at we walked about 15mins down the road, I guess we ended up at Billy Goats - didnt really take notice of the name but it was PACKED after a 5-4 Hawks OT win! Ill probably venture there after the game im going to on the 17th!

rkoroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Hey guys.

My best friend and I are flying into Chicago on Friday to watch the Ravens//Bears game on Sunday.

We're thinking of catching the Bulls//Pacers game on Saturday nite, but if we miss out on tickets just wondering if there's anything happening//we should do on Saturday.

I haven't been to Chicago in a while and other than the standard Lou Malnati's pizza, just was wondering if there was anything else going on on Saturday we should check out.

Thanks in advance for any info

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:43 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Hey guys.

My best friend and I are flying into Chicago on Friday to watch the Ravens//Bears game on Sunday.

We're thinking of catching the Bulls//Pacers game on Saturday nite, but if we miss out on tickets just wondering if there's anything happening//we should do on Saturday.

I haven't been to Chicago in a while and other than the standard Lou Malnati's pizza, just was wondering if there was anything else going on on Saturday we should check out.

Thanks in advance for any info
I mean, I could call some people and see if there's some good parties?

Less Than Jake and Krewella have shows Saturday. Also, it's UFC 167.

Food wise, check out Express Grill (perfect for before or after the Bulls or Bears game), Lucky's Sandwich Co., Big and Little's, Angela's Burrito Style, and Smoque BBQ. Those are my favorite non-formal places. Smoque requires a little time commitment, but it, like Big and Little's, is BYOB.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:08 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

If you decide Bulls tickets aren't worth the money the Wolves are playing. C

Old
11-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Paul Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I would actually prefer to be outside of downtown. Just an example of where I have been looking: Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Rosco Village, Ravenswood and Edgewater, among others. Also considering Oak Park. So, primarily North/Northwest.

Thanks for the info on the L lines. That will come in handy!
Lakeview is nice. You can find a studio for under $1000. Lots of buses run downtown on Sheridan, and there are the red and brown lines off Sheffield. Everything is in walking distance. Cabs are plentiful as well. I currently live there and would recommend it.

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I mean, I could call some people and see if there's some good parties?

Less Than Jake and Krewella have shows Saturday. Also, it's UFC 167.

Food wise, check out Express Grill (perfect for before or after the Bulls or Bears game), Lucky's Sandwich Co., Big and Little's, Angela's Burrito Style, and Smoque BBQ. Those are my favorite non-formal places. Smoque requires a little time commitment, but it, like Big and Little's, is BYOB.
Well, I do feel bad for making you have to wear the 'Bama//Irish final score as a tag for a month or whatever the bet was

I could always take you out for a beer if you're free Friday or Saturday

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Leidi J

Hey guys,

Been to Chicago before but never for a hockey game, but we're driving over from MI for our first (and probably last considering the price of our tickets ) game at the United Center. I've heard good things and am really excited. Just thought I'd pop in and see if there's anything we should do or see in or around the arena that might not be obvious. We'll probably grab a bite to eat before the game to so any recommendations there are welcome (otherwise I'll probably just browse the earlier posts in this thread or resort to whatever's closest when we get there) nothing too fancy, just something fun.

Also curious about seats. We've already bought ours so this is kind of an after the fact question, but the united center looked huge from every picture I could find online. The only other arenas I've attended games at are the Shark Tank and Joe Louis and both of those are rather small/more intimate seating. We were worried when getting our seats if buying the upper deck would put us too far away so we sucked it up and payed a little more for better seats, but I'm just curious what you all have to say. Is it one of those places where every seat really is a good seat?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote