HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2013, 04:51 PM
duul

vCash: 50
It's hard to gauge his performance considering he barely has any formation of a decent roster to work with. How can you blame him for not having an even remotely balanced lineup?

Old
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
It's hard to gauge his performance considering he barely has any formation of a decent roster to work with. How can you blame him for not having an even remotely balanced lineup?
This.

And on top of all the injuries, our goaltending has been awful this year. I don't think any coach would do well under such circumstances.

The only real area where I really put the blame on Eakins is our special teams. With our skill and previous success on the PP, its a shame that our PP and PK have been this bad.

Old
11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Probably because he's worse than both Renny and Kreuger, who both had worse teams to work with.

Then you start adding stuff in like his obsession with fitness playing players 25+ minutes a game "just because, the horrifically bad special teams which were good until him and his buddy Acton took over, routinely getting destroyed by opposing coaches in line up matches even when he has last change, taking all of training camp plus another month to figure out the team didn't have a strong grasp of the defensive fundamentals, the non-existent effort to hold the team accountable after talking a huge game about tying together performance and ice time in the summer.

Worst coach this team has had since George Burnett, and that's saying something considering the intervening years includes a senile Pat Quinn.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:44 PM
czar99

Replace Eakins with Tod Nelson. Ta da!

Old
11-05-2013, 07:58 PM
jmoss45

My single biggest complaint with Eakins, which we can attribute 100% to coaching: the PP..

It was the sole bright spot last year. Nuge and Ebs set up on the half boards, so Nuge could feed Ebs cross ice/Hall down low/Schultz at the point.

..then this year, Eakins has Eberle and Perron on the points (has either ever scored on a slapshot, let alone a one-timer?).

Eakins also feeds Hemsky a ton of PP time, when Hemsky is mediocre at best, and a terrible mix with the kids.

Old
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
This.

And on top of all the injuries, our goaltending has been awful this year. I don't think any coach would do well under such circumstances.

The only real area where I really put the blame on Eakins is our special teams. With our skill and previous success on the PP, its a shame that our PP and PK have been this bad.
I think the PK has more to do with management.. The guys MacT was so quick to get rid of (Belanger, Horcoff, Petrell) were all top PK guys. Unfortunately they were replaced with Gordon, Acton and Gadzik.

Gordon is fine, but he's essentially Horcoff. Acton isn't good on the PK (he's a rookie, who would have thought...) and Gadzik never PKs.

All in all, BIG step back on the PK.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
in contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Is Patrick Roy really that good a coach, or did Sacco just suck? I'm thinking it could be both.

Nice to see the Avs doing so well when Edmonton's still in the basement with their 3 first-overall picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Both imo. Sacco made them play worse than they could have but Roy seems to be a very good coach. The assistant coaches he brought in seem to be very good, too.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:05 PM
popo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
My single biggest complaint with Eakins, which we can attribute 100% to coaching: the PP..

It was the sole bright spot last year. Nuge and Ebs set up on the half boards, so Nuge could feed Ebs cross ice/Hall down low/Schultz at the point.

..then this year, Eakins has Eberle and Perron on the points (has either ever scored on a slapshot, let alone a one-timer?).

Eakins also feeds Hemsky a ton of PP time, when Hemsky is mediocre at best, and a terrible mix with the kids.
Agreed. Last night in the 4 on 3 setting we had Gagner at the point on the first unit. Another guy that can't score from that far back.

Old
11-06-2013, 02:30 PM
SerbianEagle

Kevin Lowe should get back to coaching. He was a very good coach. He was not a very god anything else, but coach, that he was good at.

Old
11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I think the PK has more to do with management.. The guys MacT was so quick to get rid of (Belanger, Horcoff, Petrell) were all top PK guys. Unfortunately they were replaced with Gordon, Acton and Gadzik.

Gordon is fine, but he's essentially Horcoff. Acton isn't good on the PK (he's a rookie, who would have thought...) and Gadzik never PKs.

All in all, BIG step back on the PK.
Management doesn't choose to send the skilled players out there on the PK. PP and PK are both on coaching 100%.

Old
11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Aerchon

For the first time after watching the game against florida I am thinking his defensive zone plan. aka "the swarm" is a bad idea.

Goal #2 where Hopkins chases the puck carrier with another Oiler and leaves his man open to receive the pass.

Either a terrible move by Hopkins or exactly what the coach is trying to implement. If so terrible defensive zone coverage.

Combine that with how low our forwards are in the defensive zone and how deep Dub plays in his net and we have a wonderful recipie for the worst goals against the league has ever seen.

A lot of the goals against this year, and all of them at florida, were in situations where the puck made it through "the swarm" and the opposing player with the puck had a ton of time and space to do whatever they wanted with it.

Old
11-06-2013, 03:44 PM
FlameChampion

I havent liked what I have seen from him. I dont think hes really the guy to move this team forward.

That being said, hiring another coach every year doesnt work either.

Quite the predicament on what to do in Edmonton. I dont even know anymore ...

Old
11-06-2013, 03:52 PM
shogun99

His PP strategy and player choices confuse me. Why are we using certain skill guys on the PK, Eberle is scared to block a shot. We're wasting our skilled players energy having them kill off a PK. I'd rather us have a penalty killed off then to increase our chances to score a short handed goal. Use our top 6 forwards on the PP, use our bottom six on the PK, with the occasional sub in from the other group.

Top six forwards who should never see time on the PK: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky.
Top six forwards who should see minimal time on the PK: RNH, Hall, Smyth
Top six forwards who should see regular PK time: Perron, Gagner

Old
11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
A lot of the goals against this year, and all of them at florida, were in situations where the puck made it through "the swarm" and the opposing player with the puck had a ton of time and space to do whatever they wanted with it.
Quote for truth.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
His PP strategy and player choices confuse me. Why are we using certain skill guys on the PK, Eberle is scared to block a shot. We're wasting our skilled players energy having them kill off a PK. I'd rather us have a penalty killed off then to increase our chances to score a short handed goal. Use our top 6 forwards on the PP, use our bottom six on the PK, with the occasional sub in from the other group.

Top six forwards who should never see time on the PK: Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky.
Top six forwards who should see minimal time on the PK: RNH, Hall, Smyth
Top six forwards who should see regular PK time: Perron, Gagner
Gagner is a horrible PKer. Realistically, the team needs 2-3 PK forwards. Right now Gordon and Jones are the only respectable penalty killers.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:16 PM
GMofOilers

Can we fire this clown yet?!?!!

Old
01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Breakawaycup
Rookie User

I think we have to give Eakins a chance to get his bearings with this team. Sometimes systems and culture changes take longer than expected.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Consultant

While Oiler fans want to burn management to the ground, this idiot get a multi year leash.
On paper we are not this bad. Better on paper than last year.
I fault Eakins 100% for current mess. Can't stand this guy, please fire him, please.
Wish we would have gotten Maurice first...

Old
01-16-2014, 09:25 PM
GMofOilers

Slow stubborn learner. That's not good coaching qualities.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Consultant

So how long does he get? I assume since no one is protesting for his head he has at least into his second year. That is way too long for me. Fire him tonight, please!

Old
01-16-2014, 09:32 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I honestly think they've givin up on him

don't even have any pride anymore

I also hope Bucky and Smith are gone

Old
01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I honestly think they've givin up on him

don't even have any pride anymore

I also hope Bucky and Smith are gone
This, how many coaching changes will those clowns endure? Every ex-oiler not named Mctavish needs to go.

Old
01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
GMofOilers

His system lets in 4 goals a game!!! Half way through no changes to it, just keep over coaching

Old
01-16-2014, 09:36 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Another 3 years (!!) of Eakins to go, guys. Plus another aeon of Lowe et al.

Who cares if it's on the players if we're not going to be able to trade for anything of value?

You're telling me Laviolette couldn't do a better job with this sucky buncha sucks?

Old
01-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Soundwave

Conversely though do I think Colorado would be doing this well with Eakins as coach? I'm going to say no to that.

He's in over his head right now.

Closed Thread