HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Tue., Nov. 5, 2013| Flyers 1 at Hurricanes 2 (OT)

Old
11-06-2013, 02:03 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Nope.

I mean there are ways, but none of them are realistically going to happen any time soon.
He's 80 so there is one that could realistically happen soon.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:08 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
During the high point of Laviolette's tenure (basically 10-11), we were really good in all situations.

That 10-11 team might actually be the best Flyers team -- top to bottom -- I've seen (born in '87). Blows my mind that people thought it was a good idea to dismantle it.
I agree
almost every move made since then has been horrible
back to rock bottom, so soon...

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I decided to do some research to see how absurd the teamwide inability to shoot (a basic freaking hockey function) is.

Simmonds: He has been between about 12-14% the last few years. He is at 3% this year. That's the difference between 15 goals last year and 3. Or the difference between between 28 goals two years ago and 9.

Schenn remains in his general shooting % range. He's on pace to destroy his previous SOG totals, so he might actually have a career best year come out of this ****show. Hooray for positives!

Voracek has generally sat at around 10%, jumping to 17% last year (so, likely not sustainable). He's currently at 4 percent. That's the difference between 18 goals 2 years ago and about 8 or 9 goals; or 22 goals last year and about 5 goals.

Read was at 15% the last two years. He's at 7% now.

Hartnell generally ranges between 10-15%, and he is at 4 now. Remember that horrible year he had with the divorce? He still managed 8% that year.

Interestingly (very interestingly), Lecavalier, who wasn't around for the last crappy 1.5 or so years, is well above his steady career average of 11ish% at 18%. So, the new outsider isn't affected by the teamwide taint, and neither is B. Schenn.

That's about it. Unless I'm forgetting someone nobody else who is expected to score has scored, so they're all sitting at a fresh 0%.

How the hell does this occur? And is it a coincidence that one of the two players who isn't underperforming hasn't been around the team since the NJ series?

Edit: Couturier has dropped from 11% to 5% to 0%. If he scores on his next shot he'll be back at 5%.

What has caused this erosion in shooting skills?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Like I said before, complete botching of the coaching situation, probably non-existent confidence at this point, and without the D contributing offensively our offense usually amounts to three guys instead of five and our pressure usually results in a weak one and done attempt.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Yeah, but even on those attempts they generally miss the net completely or blast it into the goalie. There's a reason shooting percentage is so low and the number of missed shots is so high, especially relative to shots taken.

Like I've been saying this issue goes much deeper than the defense's influence on offense.

For instance, last night Simmonds skated straight to the net...only to pound the puck point blank into Peters' right pad. Not even the five hole, or attempting to shoot through a gap, or shooting low to make a rebound. He pushed the puck into the middle of his pad where it was immediately covered.

What the hell is the point there?

And further, the defense's offensive ability/inability has no bearing on the forwards botching one timers or blowing it on shots, or forgetting how to pass. Hell, Streit has been doing all the right things with passing and such but he's giving the puck to guys who can't do crap with it. That's not on him.

I'm not saying it isn't a factor, but I think it's a decidedly minor one relatively.

Old
11-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Anything not covered by our offense essentially being a three man circus is covered by the mishandling of the coaching position and having zero confidence. most likely.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
At this point, why not call up Straka or Akeson, somebody with "skill" to create chances.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
At this point, why not call up Straka or Akeson, somebody with "skill" to create chances.
Akeson would be great. Still think we should trade Mez for a 3rd or 4th. Keep Gus up. Flip Gill and Schenn when need be. Bring up Akeson to play with Giroux and Vinny. Seriously, Akeson should really be given a shot.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Beef I'm not sure if G's numbers have already been discussed but in his 347 regular season games (including his 14 this year) he has a shooting percentage of 11.5. He obviously doesn't have a goal this season but if he scored on his next shot he'd have a 3.33 shooting percentage.

I don't know what's going on with this team in that regard. It also doesn't help matters when no one on the team can even hit the net.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
I decided to do some research to see how absurd the teamwide inability to shoot (a basic freaking hockey function) is.

Simmonds: He has been between about 12-14% the last few years. He is at 3% this year. That's the difference between 15 goals last year and 3. Or the difference between between 28 goals two years ago and 9.

Schenn remains in his general shooting % range. He's on pace to destroy his previous SOG totals, so he might actually have a career best year come out of this ****show. Hooray for positives!

Voracek has generally sat at around 10%, jumping to 17% last year (so, likely not sustainable). He's currently at 4 percent. That's the difference between 18 goals 2 years ago and about 8 or 9 goals; or 22 goals last year and about 5 goals.

Hartnell generally ranges between 10-15%, and he is at 4 now. Remember that horrible year he had with the divorce? He still managed 8% that year.

Interestingly (very interestingly), Lecavalier, who wasn't around for the last crappy 1.5 or so years, is well above his steady career average of 11ish% at 18%. So, the new outsider isn't affected by the teamwide taint, and neither is B. Schenn.

That's about it. Unless I'm forgetting someone nobody else who is expected to score has scored, so they're all sitting at a fresh 0%.

How the hell does this occur? And is it a coincidence that one of the two players who isn't underperforming hasn't been around the team since the NJ series?

Edit: Couturier has dropped from 11% to 5% to 0%. If he scores on his next shot he'll be back at 5%.

To me the Answer is clear as day.

METH.

And the only way to fix this is problem is More Meth.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:09 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:

It's gotta be the sticks. Fire the equipment manager!

Old
11-06-2013, 03:11 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I want to see what Cousins can do. He looked really promising in the pre-season games.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Beef I'm not sure if G's numbers have already been discussed but in his 347 regular season games (including his 14 this year) he has a shooting percentage of 11.5. He obviously doesn't have a goal this season but if he scored on his next shot he'd have a 3.33 shooting percentage.

I don't know what's going on with this team in that regard. It also doesn't help matters when no one on the team can even hit the net.
Keep in mind that is actually helping their shooting percentages. Since it's goals/shots on goal and not goals/attempted shots.

Old
11-06-2013, 03:14 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

METH.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Keep in mind that is actually helping their shooting percentages. Since it's goals/shots on goal and not goals/attempted shots.
Yep.

And like I've said before, there's a large disparity between missed shots and SOG. The other teams who do poorly generating SOG are also towards the bottom in missed shots; one can assume this is because those teams are just bad at generating opportunities to shoot.

The Flyers are generating opportunities. They're just missing terribly.

Old
11-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Flying

i've had dried paint that i enjoyed watching more than the flyers right now.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Yep.

And like I've said before, there's a large disparity between missed shots and SOG. The other teams who do poorly generating SOG are also towards the bottom in missed shots; one can assume this is because those teams are just bad at generating opportunities to shoot.

The Flyers are generating opportunities. They're just missing terribly.
It has been pretty obvious at times... EN missed must be around 8 now (like point blank open nets with the goalie in the other side.) and there have been a silly amount of pings, and shots from the slot going into the glass.

If their team shooting percentage was around average like last year (8.8-9.5%, 10-20th in NHL) they would have an extra 13-15 goals this year. (388 shots, so 35-37 goals instead of 22.)

So an extra goal a game takes them to ~2.6GPG and ~-2 GD. With those numbers it would be expected to be in the 7-9 range in the conference... which is right where most of us thought they would be before the year.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
It has been pretty obvious at times... EN missed must be around 8 now (like point blank open nets with the goalie in the other side.) and there have been a silly amount of pings, and shots from the slot going into the glass.

If their team shooting percentage was around average like last year (8.8-9.5%, 10-20th in NHL) they would have an extra 13-15 goals this year. (388 shots, so 35-37 goals instead of 22.)

So an extra goal a game takes them to ~2.6GPG and ~-2 GD. With those numbers it would be expected to be in the 7-9 range in the conference... which is right where most of us thought they would be before the year.
Hooray for numbers! Quantifying human sadness since the dawn of civilization.

Old
11-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Hooray for numbers! Quantifying human sadness since the dawn of civilization.
I am just going to pretend they score 9.5% of shots from now on. I am also going to pretend that Couts scored last night so we won 3-0... EN goal by G.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 04:22 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

METH.

no wonder theres talk with all those canadian teams

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote