HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Tue., Nov. 5, 2013| Flyers 1 at Hurricanes 2 (OT)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2013, 02:03 PM
  #251
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Nope.


I mean there are ways, but none of them are realistically going to happen any time soon.
He's 80 so there is one that could realistically happen soon.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  #252
MickeyMelchiondo
Registered User
 
MickeyMelchiondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
During the high point of Laviolette's tenure (basically 10-11), we were really good in all situations.

That 10-11 team might actually be the best Flyers team -- top to bottom -- I've seen (born in '87). Blows my mind that people thought it was a good idea to dismantle it.
I agree
almost every move made since then has been horrible
back to rock bottom, so soon...

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  #253
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,637
vCash: 156
I decided to do some research to see how absurd the teamwide inability to shoot (a basic freaking hockey function) is.

Simmonds: He has been between about 12-14% the last few years. He is at 3% this year. That's the difference between 15 goals last year and 3. Or the difference between between 28 goals two years ago and 9.

Schenn remains in his general shooting % range. He's on pace to destroy his previous SOG totals, so he might actually have a career best year come out of this ****show. Hooray for positives!

Voracek has generally sat at around 10%, jumping to 17% last year (so, likely not sustainable). He's currently at 4 percent. That's the difference between 18 goals 2 years ago and about 8 or 9 goals; or 22 goals last year and about 5 goals.

Read was at 15% the last two years. He's at 7% now.

Hartnell generally ranges between 10-15%, and he is at 4 now. Remember that horrible year he had with the divorce? He still managed 8% that year.

Interestingly (very interestingly), Lecavalier, who wasn't around for the last crappy 1.5 or so years, is well above his steady career average of 11ish% at 18%. So, the new outsider isn't affected by the teamwide taint, and neither is B. Schenn.

That's about it. Unless I'm forgetting someone nobody else who is expected to score has scored, so they're all sitting at a fresh 0%.

How the hell does this occur? And is it a coincidence that one of the two players who isn't underperforming hasn't been around the team since the NJ series?

Edit: Couturier has dropped from 11% to 5% to 0%. If he scores on his next shot he'll be back at 5%.

What has caused this erosion in shooting skills?

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
  #254
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,061
vCash: 500
Like I said before, complete botching of the coaching situation, probably non-existent confidence at this point, and without the D contributing offensively our offense usually amounts to three guys instead of five and our pressure usually results in a weak one and done attempt.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
  #255
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,637
vCash: 156
Yeah, but even on those attempts they generally miss the net completely or blast it into the goalie. There's a reason shooting percentage is so low and the number of missed shots is so high, especially relative to shots taken.

Like I've been saying this issue goes much deeper than the defense's influence on offense.

For instance, last night Simmonds skated straight to the net...only to pound the puck point blank into Peters' right pad. Not even the five hole, or attempting to shoot through a gap, or shooting low to make a rebound. He pushed the puck into the middle of his pad where it was immediately covered.

What the hell is the point there?

And further, the defense's offensive ability/inability has no bearing on the forwards botching one timers or blowing it on shots, or forgetting how to pass. Hell, Streit has been doing all the right things with passing and such but he's giving the puck to guys who can't do crap with it. That's not on him.

I'm not saying it isn't a factor, but I think it's a decidedly minor one relatively.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:43 PM
  #256
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,061
vCash: 500
Anything not covered by our offense essentially being a three man circus is covered by the mishandling of the coaching position and having zero confidence. most likely.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
  #257
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 491
At this point, why not call up Straka or Akeson, somebody with "skill" to create chances.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  #258
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
At this point, why not call up Straka or Akeson, somebody with "skill" to create chances.
Akeson would be great. Still think we should trade Mez for a 3rd or 4th. Keep Gus up. Flip Gill and Schenn when need be. Bring up Akeson to play with Giroux and Vinny. Seriously, Akeson should really be given a shot.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:57 PM
  #259
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Beef I'm not sure if G's numbers have already been discussed but in his 347 regular season games (including his 14 this year) he has a shooting percentage of 11.5. He obviously doesn't have a goal this season but if he scored on his next shot he'd have a 3.33 shooting percentage.

I don't know what's going on with this team in that regard. It also doesn't help matters when no one on the team can even hit the net.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
  #260
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I decided to do some research to see how absurd the teamwide inability to shoot (a basic freaking hockey function) is.

Simmonds: He has been between about 12-14% the last few years. He is at 3% this year. That's the difference between 15 goals last year and 3. Or the difference between between 28 goals two years ago and 9.

Schenn remains in his general shooting % range. He's on pace to destroy his previous SOG totals, so he might actually have a career best year come out of this ****show. Hooray for positives!

Voracek has generally sat at around 10%, jumping to 17% last year (so, likely not sustainable). He's currently at 4 percent. That's the difference between 18 goals 2 years ago and about 8 or 9 goals; or 22 goals last year and about 5 goals.

Read was at 15% the last two years. He's at 7% now.

Hartnell generally ranges between 10-15%, and he is at 4 now. Remember that horrible year he had with the divorce? He still managed 8% that year.

Interestingly (very interestingly), Lecavalier, who wasn't around for the last crappy 1.5 or so years, is well above his steady career average of 11ish% at 18%. So, the new outsider isn't affected by the teamwide taint, and neither is B. Schenn.

That's about it. Unless I'm forgetting someone nobody else who is expected to score has scored, so they're all sitting at a fresh 0%.

How the hell does this occur? And is it a coincidence that one of the two players who isn't underperforming hasn't been around the team since the NJ series?

Edit: Couturier has dropped from 11% to 5% to 0%. If he scores on his next shot he'll be back at 5%.

What has caused this erosion in shooting skills?
To me the Answer is clear as day.


METH.

And the only way to fix this is problem is More Meth.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:09 PM
  #261
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I decided to do some research to see how absurd the teamwide inability to shoot (a basic freaking hockey function) is.

Simmonds: He has been between about 12-14% the last few years. He is at 3% this year. That's the difference between 15 goals last year and 3. Or the difference between between 28 goals two years ago and 9.

Schenn remains in his general shooting % range. He's on pace to destroy his previous SOG totals, so he might actually have a career best year come out of this ****show. Hooray for positives!

Voracek has generally sat at around 10%, jumping to 17% last year (so, likely not sustainable). He's currently at 4 percent. That's the difference between 18 goals 2 years ago and about 8 or 9 goals; or 22 goals last year and about 5 goals.

Read was at 15% the last two years. He's at 7% now.

Hartnell generally ranges between 10-15%, and he is at 4 now. Remember that horrible year he had with the divorce? He still managed 8% that year.

Interestingly (very interestingly), Lecavalier, who wasn't around for the last crappy 1.5 or so years, is well above his steady career average of 11ish% at 18%. So, the new outsider isn't affected by the teamwide taint, and neither is B. Schenn.

That's about it. Unless I'm forgetting someone nobody else who is expected to score has scored, so they're all sitting at a fresh 0%.

How the hell does this occur? And is it a coincidence that one of the two players who isn't underperforming hasn't been around the team since the NJ series?

Edit: Couturier has dropped from 11% to 5% to 0%. If he scores on his next shot he'll be back at 5%.

What has caused this erosion in shooting skills?
It's gotta be the sticks. Fire the equipment manager!

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:11 PM
  #262
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
At this point, why not call up Straka or Akeson, somebody with "skill" to create chances.
I want to see what Cousins can do. He looked really promising in the pre-season games.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
  #263
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Beef I'm not sure if G's numbers have already been discussed but in his 347 regular season games (including his 14 this year) he has a shooting percentage of 11.5. He obviously doesn't have a goal this season but if he scored on his next shot he'd have a 3.33 shooting percentage.

I don't know what's going on with this team in that regard. It also doesn't help matters when no one on the team can even hit the net.
Keep in mind that is actually helping their shooting percentages. Since it's goals/shots on goal and not goals/attempted shots.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:14 PM
  #264
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
To me the Answer is clear as day.


METH.

And the only way to fix this is problem is More Meth.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
  #265
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,637
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Keep in mind that is actually helping their shooting percentages. Since it's goals/shots on goal and not goals/attempted shots.
Yep.

And like I've said before, there's a large disparity between missed shots and SOG. The other teams who do poorly generating SOG are also towards the bottom in missed shots; one can assume this is because those teams are just bad at generating opportunities to shoot.

The Flyers are generating opportunities. They're just missing terribly.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:18 PM
  #266
Flying
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Yamoussoukro, USA
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
i've had dried paint that i enjoyed watching more than the flyers right now.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
  #267
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep.

And like I've said before, there's a large disparity between missed shots and SOG. The other teams who do poorly generating SOG are also towards the bottom in missed shots; one can assume this is because those teams are just bad at generating opportunities to shoot.

The Flyers are generating opportunities. They're just missing terribly.
It has been pretty obvious at times... EN missed must be around 8 now (like point blank open nets with the goalie in the other side.) and there have been a silly amount of pings, and shots from the slot going into the glass.

If their team shooting percentage was around average like last year (8.8-9.5%, 10-20th in NHL) they would have an extra 13-15 goals this year. (388 shots, so 35-37 goals instead of 22.)

So an extra goal a game takes them to ~2.6GPG and ~-2 GD. With those numbers it would be expected to be in the 7-9 range in the conference... which is right where most of us thought they would be before the year.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
  #268
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,637
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
It has been pretty obvious at times... EN missed must be around 8 now (like point blank open nets with the goalie in the other side.) and there have been a silly amount of pings, and shots from the slot going into the glass.

If their team shooting percentage was around average like last year (8.8-9.5%, 10-20th in NHL) they would have an extra 13-15 goals this year. (388 shots, so 35-37 goals instead of 22.)

So an extra goal a game takes them to ~2.6GPG and ~-2 GD. With those numbers it would be expected to be in the 7-9 range in the conference... which is right where most of us thought they would be before the year.
Hooray for numbers! Quantifying human sadness since the dawn of civilization.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:58 PM
  #269
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hooray for numbers! Quantifying human sadness since the dawn of civilization.
I am just going to pretend they score 9.5% of shots from now on. I am also going to pretend that Couts scored last night so we won 3-0... EN goal by G.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 04:22 PM
  #270
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
To me the Answer is clear as day.


METH.

And the only way to fix this is problem is More Meth.
no wonder theres talk with all those canadian teams

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.