HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
10-25-2013, 04:33 AM
MikeModano9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I tie mine sitting down, pulled so they are not flopping around, just barely snug. Then I walk around, rock over on my edges or skate a couple of laps then pull them properly snug but not tight. This works for me, as I've had issues with skates being too tight.
Agreed. After or during warm ups I usually tighten or loosen whatever may need be. Also get wax laces forsure, they will stay tight

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:13 PM
hilega

Adult Learn to Play

Tonight I had my first LTP class at the Toyota Sports Center where the LA Kings practice. I am 32, 5'10, 165lbs male with about 10 days on the ice from Dec 2012 to Feb 2013 (four of which were Adult Hockey Basics classes skating only taught by a figure skater), 3 public skates and 1 stick time in June/July 2013 and 1 public skate in Oct 2013. So about 15 days on the ice total in the last year. Played neighborhood roller street hockey in the 90s and maybe hit a public ice skate once a year over Christmas. I can hockey stop OK on my right foot forward and barely do slow backwards crossovers.

I got to play about 10 minutes with the advanced Be A Player course which had skaters from wannabe D league to our Bronze league. Stick handling in traffic, figure 8/'s with cones, passing, shooting, deke moves... A little advanced for my skating.

The LTP class just had one other student, a female in her 30s and she could skate slightly better than me. Pace was much more beginner friendly with stick handling forward and backwards, cone figure 8,s, wide and narrow handling. We only had the ice between the red and blue line, but that was fine for two people. Pretty fun, but I am out of shape. 7 weeks of a 30 minute lessons for $124. The one hour Be a Player is $155.

If you are thinking about joining a class, do it! This class only costs me $2 more than going to our $15 stick time.

I also have a $15 piece of whiteboard from Home Depot to practice stick handling and shooting at home. I highly recommend it and HD will even cut it down for you.

hilega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilega View Post
Played neighborhood roller street hockey in the 90s and maybe hit a public ice skate once a year over Christmas. I can hockey stop OK on my right foot forward and barely do slow backwards crossovers.
That's going to be a huge advantage for you as you learn to play the game. Skating when you're young, even if it's mostly roller, makes an incredible difference to people who pick up the game late in life. The fact that you can already hockey stop on one side puts you way ahead of the curve for people who start at 32.

Stick with it.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:30 AM
BrummieRed

All set for the start of the next learn to play block here and have been obsessively getting back to skating basics. I have read and re-read the first few chapters of Laura Stamm's Power Skating, so am concentrating on balance and powerful and perfect-as-possible forward and backwards strides. Doing some work on crossovers(unders, really), stops etc but really focussing on the basics for now.

My aim is to see just how good an old guy (49) noob skater can get at hockey in say 2 or 3 years. :-)

I've still got a long way to go, adding skills, developing both sides, but after about 3 weeks of working with the Stamm book I'm already seeing the difference and developing a monster forward stride. I've also been doing off-ice deep knee bends every day for some time and have recently added abductor and adductor exercises with a thera-band.

Key fundamentals I've learned so far:

Knee bend - and lots of it - is a key thing that gives you solidity from the lower CoG, but more than this it gives you the unweighting you need for lots of other skills.
Balance - don't forget basic balance work. Just spend time on one skate. Get comfortable on one skate. You spend at least 33% of your time on only one. Then start to get comfortable transitioning between edges/flats on one skate. It's another fundamental.

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:05 PM
ripham23232

Took to the ice for the first time hockey style today. I'm 25 with minimal ice skating experience beyond going to an open public skate maybe once a year. I did play some solo roller hockey in the driveway growing up, which I credit as the only reason I can move around on skates. I can't hockey stop or skate backward at all.

Anyway, a couple of guys from work and I went on our lunch break to drop in hockey. We were the only three there for a bit, just skating around and "practicing". A number of mixed skill levels showed up and we played some 4 on 4. My participation mostly included of skating back and forth with play and trying to figure out some positioning. Everybody on the ice was very welcoming of my poor abilities and tried to include me. It was a riot! We are going back again next week for more!

ripham23232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Watch for the Yeti

I'm a sophomore in high school, and have been talked into by some of my classmates to play some high school hockey. I havent played hockey in 5 years, and tryouts are after Thanksgiving. Would you reccomend me to play? I have been playing inline hockey in that 5 year span, so do you think my skating will be off? I hope I haven't forgot how to stop, because nothing is more embarassing than that.

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 11-06-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
I'm a sophomore in high school, and have been talked into by some of my classmates to play some high school hockey. I haven't ice skated in 5 years, and tryouts are after Thanksgiving. Would you reccomend me to play? I have been playing inline hockey in that 5 year span, so do you think my skating will be off? I hope I haven't forgot how to stop, because nothing is more embarassing than that.
I have yet to see anyone on this board say, "No, don't join a hockey team, you're no good." Get out there, suck, commit yourself, get better and have fun.

Every person who learned hockey as an adult would give anything to have the chance to have started in high school.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 08:10 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
So, this is my first year playing on a high school ice hockey team (first year on ice actually). I've played roller all my life, so this was obviously something new. Coach usually splits us up into two different groups. One for the more experienced players, and the other for practicing shots, skating, ect.

Having played in a roller hockey league (and shooting off of a shooting pad for years), I can shoot fine, skate fine (just have a tiny bit trouble stopping), and just play hockey fine, but I keep getting sent into the lower group, as it's my first year on ice. It's really frustrating as every other player is a lot slower skating and their hockey IQ isn't up to par, especially when we practice our breakout play (they can't hold on to passes, I have to wait to pass until they get into their assigned spot, ect). I understand it's also their first year, but it's just frustrating.

just thought I'd vent

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
I have yet to see anyone on this board say, "No, don't join a hockey team, you're no good." Get out there, suck, commit yourself, get better and have fun.

Every person who learned hockey as an adult would give anything to have the chance to have started in high school.
I played for 8 years when I was younger, hopefully that helps.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
hilega

I hit public skate on Friday to work on hockey stops with my left foot forward and backwards crossovers.

I had my second Learn to Play class tonight. Stick handling, passing, skating...left and right sides, forward and backwards. The instructor said that we both skate well and if our goal was to play in a league we could honestly sign up now. I plan to finish this course, take the level three Be a Player course and then sign up for the entry level Copper league next fall. It was really encouraging and I am super stoked. The instructor said he would focus on game play for our remaining sessions.

Anyone thinking twice about starting or joining a team/league should get off your keyboard and go do it!

Old
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Anyone thinking twice about starting or joining a team/league should get off your keyboard and go do it!
If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do. - Warren Miller

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Hey just want to say congrads to all the newbs, glad you guys are going out.

Buddy of mine is 32, never played/skated really his whole life... just picked up the game, is going to power skating and on the ice 2 times a week.

You can literally see the improvement he is making week to week... he was falling all over the ice the first time... last game he went the whole time without wiping out once and was really happy.

Keep at it guys!!!

No one is too old to start their hockey career!!

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 06:03 PM
BrummieRed

Tell me about it. Nearly 50 here and loving it. Been at it a year and a bit. 4 times on the ice a week plus hockey training. It's tough but a great journey.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:35 PM
ripham23232

Got back out there today for my second attempt at playing. I could see a bit of improvement today in stick handling and passing, but skating and puck control still need work. I really should go to learn to skate or something, but I would so much rather just play! Either way, had another blast out there today and can't wait for next week!

ripham23232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:20 PM
hilega

Third LTP class tonight. Toe drags, top hand only drags, passing, wrist shots, skating with puck around cones, give and goes with passing and transitions. Good stuff. Skating is improving as well. Thirty minutes goes quickly but we go non-stop and get a workout.

Old
11-18-2013, 12:37 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
Tell me about it. Nearly 50 here and loving it. Been at it a year and a bit. 4 times on the ice a week plus hockey training. It's tough but a great journey.
New guy on my team is legit 65, has been skating 18 months. He's got such a great attitude and loves the game. Age doesn't matter!

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Third LTP class tonight. Toe drags, top hand only drags, passing, wrist shots, skating with puck around cones, give and goes with passing and transitions. Good stuff. Skating is improving as well. Thirty minutes goes quickly but we go non-stop and get a workout.
Hey I moved out to LA a few months ago and I've been skating for about 2.5 years (was doing LTP classes back in NY and was playing beer-league at like a B2 level where the range was D, C2, C, B2, B, A2, A) but I'd like to start going to clinics again. What time is the one that you go to and do you have to pay it all at once or can you pay it session by session?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:28 AM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
New guy on my team is legit 65, has been skating 18 months. He's got such a great attitude and loves the game. Age doesn't matter!
Fab. I wasn't the oldest on our LTP until this block of sessions. We also had a 65 year old, but he moved up toe Elite LTP!

Old
11-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

We have a guy on our team who eager but not eager. Cant skate worth beans and by the time he gets to the blue line the play has already gone the other way and is at the other blue line.

Since ice time is near impossible here (middle east) other than public skate, Ive told him he should work on dryland training for balance and strength of those muscles you dont use for other thing other than hockey.

Its a bit disheartening to see as he wants to play but compared to others who have been in his position and improved greatly he doesn't seem totally committed.

Maybe someone here can share a few tips I can pass on to him that dont require ice time?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Malichek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Maybe someone here can share a few tips I can pass on to him that dont require ice time?
Well there isn't much to do except skating, if he doesn't handle the basic stuff.

But since you are looking for off ice training, I would say hockey jumps. That way he would gain the muscles needed in skating and also improve his balance.

Malichek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malichek View Post
Well there isn't much to do except skating, if he doesn't handle the basic stuff.

But since you are looking for off ice training, I would say hockey jumps. That way he would gain the muscles needed in skating and also improve his balance.
The problem is in the middle east the ice time is hard to get. There is not stick and puck etc and no hockey camps etc. So its really down to public skates which is limited to what you can practice.

What are the hockey jumps you are referring to?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Had the best game of my young hockey career last night. 6 shots on goal, a goal and an assist...was actually pretty frustrated because I got a bunch of scoring chances that I didn't score.

Ended up coming away from the game kind of upset because with about a minute to go the game was tied 3 - 3 and there was a faceoff. I was playing the right wing and we lost the faceoff which was pushed back to the point. I immediately was skating out to the point and the winger from their team yelled at his defenceman to shoot and then skated right into my path and hit me with a knee on knee that took me down and out of the play...they scored on the shot. So I am laying on the ice and I turn to look at the ref and he is pointing at the goal being good, and before I can even say anything he goes 'don't even start'.

Like I don't even understand that -- so yeah I was pretty upset and said some things afterwards and had to cool down. All around though it was a good game. Hoping to build on this one...3 points 3 games 1 goal in my 2nd ever hockey season is fun.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
The problem is in the middle east the ice time is hard to get. There is not stick and puck etc and no hockey camps etc. So its really down to public skates which is limited to what you can practice.

What are the hockey jumps you are referring to?
Just get roller skates. His ability seems so low and basic that even that will help him a good deal. Basic balance and strength will translate for sure and all he has left to do is edge-work and some adjustments to stopping. Better than just building strength blindly, imo.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Here here! i play with a gentleman who just turned 78. He has the best attitude and some pretty good hands. More power to him!

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:31 AM
hilega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Hey I moved out to LA a few months ago and I've been skating for about 2.5 years (was doing LTP classes back in NY and was playing beer-league at like a B2 level where the range was D, C2, C, B2, B, A2, A) but I'd like to start going to clinics again. What time is the one that you go to and do you have to pay it all at once or can you pay it session by session?
Go here http://www.toyotasportscenter.com/pa...nd-play-hockey

You should go to the Be a Player class if you are a B2. They would likely pro-rate the rest of the classes for you or you could make up time at another class.

My fiancé's bro plays at Brewster BTW.