HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CGY vs. ANA: Oliwa

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 03:58 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

vCash: 500
i'm ashamed to say tat wathcing jiggy get runned made me happy...but to say that oliwa didnt intentionally elbow jiggy is totally incorrect...he raced up to jiggy and raised his elbow right up to jiggy's head and knocked him so hard his helmet flew off...tat looked like it hurt and i cant see how ppl can say tat gigeurre was acting....

by the way...it would have been interesting if sawyer was still around because he just loved to run over goalies for some reason...its strange because enforcers arent supposed to be taking those kind of cheap shots

Old
01-20-2004, 04:04 AM
c-carp

Probert was the king of running the goalie. I have an old clip where he runs a Boston goalie Doug Keans and he knocked him flat out. If he did that today some of you would want him Jailed. I hate to see the game changing that much?

Old
01-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Great quote by Don Taylor on Sportscentral Pacific:

"Oliwa gets five and a game...and Giguere gets the Oscar."

So true.
Dont know about the dive. He was knocked on one skate and couldnt catch his balance. He also had his helmet knocked off on the play so a trainer went out there to see if he was ok. If should have been a penalty, because as much as I hate the rule of you cant play the goalies, its the rule and deserved a penalty for interference. Whatever, the PP did squat so it didnt really hurt Calgary at all.

Old
01-20-2004, 02:57 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
i'm ashamed to say tat wathcing jiggy get runned made me happy...but to say that oliwa didnt intentionally elbow jiggy is totally incorrect...he raced up to jiggy and raised his elbow right up to jiggy's head and knocked him so hard his helmet flew off...tat looked like it hurt and i cant see how ppl can say tat gigeurre was acting....

by the way...it would have been interesting if sawyer was still around because he just loved to run over goalies for some reason...its strange because enforcers arent supposed to be taking those kind of cheap shots
when a King fans says that it was an illegal hit, than it's an illegal hit and deserved the penalty. that just shows that no matter the rivalry, he knows that play should have been called.. all you calgary fans *****ing about it, grow up.. i have refrained from posting on this thread because of your ignorance in trying to justify it. He clearly ran into Jiggy, he did not attempt to skate around...
sorry just had to vent...

Old
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
when a King fans says that it was an illegal hit, than it's an illegal hit and deserved the penalty. that just shows that no matter the rivalry, he knows that play should have been called.. all you calgary fans *****ing about it, grow up.. i have refrained from posting on this thread because of your ignorance in trying to justify it. He clearly ran into Jiggy, he did not attempt to skate around...
Can I get you a tissue? I know Giguere sure needs one. It was a brilliant piece of acting, too bad he was such a bad actor between the pipes the rest of the evening. I think the league put the final exclamation point on this whole subject when they ruled that there was no need for further disciplinary action against Oliwa and that the match penalty would be rescinded. Looks to me like the league thinks Giggy took a dive as well. Damn, hate it when a bad actor is found out!

Old
01-20-2004, 03:21 PM
shveik

Giguere did look like he "embellished" it. That said, it is on totally different level compared to what Oliwa did. Oliwa totally deserved his major and the game misconduct and quite possibly a suspension. I am not even sure Giguere's "dive" warrants a penalty.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Soya Kings/Ducks rivalry aside.
I agree with you, he intended to run Giguere
But, do you think Sawyers past goalie running antics may have had anything to do with it?
As much as I hate baseball,let's use it as a parallel, whenever a pitcher beans a hitter the other teams star player always gets beaned back, be it that game or the next game

Old
01-20-2004, 03:52 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
But, do you think Sawyers past goalie running antics may have had anything to do with it?
As much as I hate baseball,let's use it as a parallel, whenever a pitcher beans a hitter the other teams star player always gets beaned back, be it that game or the next game

From the 50 replays I saw, it didn't look like Oliwa tried to get out of the way which warrants the goalie interference although he did not have much room to avoid Giguere. I can live with that. But the 5 minute major was a direct result of Giguere's exaggeration.

I agree it may have had something to do with the Sawyer/Berube incident of a few years ago. Oliwa has to play with an edge or he won't be playing at all. If that means nudging a few goalies in the process, so be it. Giguere looked like he thought he was a defensemen on the play. Stick handling behind the net with his head down. GET RID OF THE PUCK GIGUERE !!! Oliwa's own teammate got the worst of it anyway.

Ducks fans: I can understand your frustration, it wasn't long ago you guys actually thought you had a contender and a superstar goalie. Man have times changed. This team is very fragile and very bad defensively and to top it all off, Giguere sucks this year. Put that together and that is one bad team. 5 minutes was too much, and the league basically said that today when they decided Oliwa's hit did not warrant a suspension. If you guys had won 5-1, would you still be whining ?? I doubt it.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:56 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

kingsjohn-
i don't condone those hits to goalies in general... that's wrong. when a duck does it, i expect them to get the penalty as well..

Garfield-
even if the ducks won i would still complain that the hit was done... it doesn't matter..
like i posted, i refrained from posting here, until people were justifying the means.. oh well...

Old
01-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Cookie?

Old
01-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Shawnski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Can I get you a tissue? I know Giguere sure needs one. It was a brilliant piece of acting, too bad he was such a bad actor between the pipes the rest of the evening. I think the league put the final exclamation point on this whole subject when they ruled that there was no need for further disciplinary action against Oliwa and that the match penalty would be rescinded. Looks to me like the league thinks Giggy took a dive as well. Damn, hate it when a bad actor is found out!

Lanny is right on here.

Oliwa is free and clear.... Giguere's Oscar has been revolked (this time....)

Ohhh, and IF Oliwa was intending to injure.... Do you really think Giguere would not have been carried off the ice on a stretcher? Oliwa was flying and could have totally creamed him. Giguere would have woken up next week, if at all.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:10 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Intent to injure? I doubt it. If Oliwa really wanted to put Giguere out, he would've done a better job than that. And Giguere did flop, but it's not like he took a swan dive. All goalies flop! It's them taking advantage of the rule that protects the goalie. You find a goalie that doesn't flop and you've found the pot at the end of the freaking rainbow.
But Oliwa didn't exactly try very hard to get out of the way. That deserved the goalie interference. Mask falling off and Giguere doing a partial flop caused the trainer to come out, as he should because it looked dangerous. Probably resulted in the intent to injure penalty, but it's not like the refs can take that back after they call it.
If they made goalies fair game out of the crease, Giguere would think twice next time about playing the puck. But that's another argument for another time.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski
Ohhh, and IF Oliwa was intending to injure.... Do you really think Giguere would not have been carried off the ice on a stretcher? Oliwa was flying and could have totally creamed him. Giguere would have woken up next week, if at all.
he does have all that "extra protection"....maybe the polish punk tried to harm him but couldn't? :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
that was more then a year ago though....and Calgary and Anaheim have played many a time before this occurance....kinda an odd time to settle a score

EDIT: Actually looking at the video, it looks like Bryan Murray behind the Anaheim bench...that would put it to being 2 seasons ago....

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 01-20-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old
01-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Lyons71

I know it's pointless to be a Ducks fan because according to everyone, but Oliwa had more than enough room to get out of the way. His elbow hit Giguere's head. (stuck out or not) Did Giguere act or not? I don't know, but it had to hurt. The penalty was called correctly.

Old
01-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
I know it's pointless to be a Ducks fan because according to everyone, but Oliwa had more than enough room to get out of the way. His elbow hit Giguere's head. (stuck out or not) Did Giguere act or not? I don't know, but it had to hurt. The penalty was called correctly.
No way the penalty was called correctly. A match penalty? For that?

Thats crazy.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
Actually Sparky, the penalty was not called correctly. That is why the match penalty was rescinded and no suspension was handed out. The NHL goes out of its way to protect the goaltenders so by negating the match they are basically saying the whole incident was a mistake and the goaltender was never in any peril. Colin Campbell is a real hardass, especially with the cementheads in the league. That he rescinded the match penalty speaks volumes. I suspect that a certain referee will be a few dollars light in his pay envelope this week because of the whole incident as well.

Closed Thread