HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When does Phillips become available?

Old
12-17-2006, 11:53 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
When does Phillips become available?

The Oilers are looking for defensemen, and Chris Phillips is a popular choice among Edmonton fans right now. Is Ottawa ready to give this guy up in, say, late January? It appears you need more forward depth. As Phillips is a UFA, i'd say the Oilers wouldn't be offering Torres unless a forward was coming this way as well? Any Oiler offers from your side?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:54 AM
The Fuhr

None, The Sens will resign Phillips.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Human Megaphone

I am a huge Phillips fan, especially in the playoffs, but with our UFA apocolypse coming in 2008 I am not sure we can afford him. He will easily command 3 million on the market and I don't see how we can fit that in our structure. Given the improvement in Volchenkov and Mez he may be redundant. The one good thing is his crappy point total will keep him away from the 5 million range.

Mind you we could resign him and then let the chips fall where they may in 2008.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
I think we can resign him for a pretty good deal. And there's no way he's going to be traded this season unless Muckler has a deal on the table that nobody can refuse....although Muckler will probably still refuse it.

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:47 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Phillips is going nowhere if this team is to make some noise in the post-season. You will not get a player of equal value since Uncle Phil is a UFA next season.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:49 PM
spezza19*

I dont think Philips going anywhere and i dont think he's going to ask for alot.

spezza19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:56 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

What about Anton Volchenkov then?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:57 PM
discostu

Phillips is the player that I see the Sens being the most likely to make a very long-term deal offer to. It wouldn't suprise me if they signed him to a 7 or 8 year deal. He likes it here, and, has a very defined role on this team, and was given the "A" for a reason this year.

If Phillips does leave this off-season, we're pretty much forced to re-sign Redden at all costs when his contract comes up, and I'm sure they rather avoid that.

With Phillips in the fold, I think we'll be able to maintain a strong defence through committee. We'll have (hopefully) guys like Phillips, Meszaros, Volchenkov and Corvo who are all capable of top 4 minutes. If we trade Phillips, we're left with a lot of inexperience on the blueline.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:59 PM
SENSational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Volchenkov will never ever be traded. He's been astounding this year.

SENSational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:08 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:08 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Although a lot of people don't want to see it happen (myself included), it wouldn't surprise me if Muckler dealt Phillips before the deadline, assuming the Sens are not in position to make the playoffs. Phillips' agent has said they aren't going to talk about a contract just yet and Muckler does not want to take a chance of losing him for nothing in the summer. It all depends on how the rest of the season goes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Phillips re-signed and the Sens exploring the possibility of moving Redden this summer. In order for that to happen, the Sens may need to re-sign Preissing this summer or get a good defenseman in return, but I'm not sure Redden is worth $6.5M, even if he is healthy.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Well, who knows what Phillips will want. As we saw last year, supply/demand will dictate salaries. The supply of comparable Dmen is not huge next year. Potential UFA's I would group in the same general area with Phillips would be:

Markov (30 yrs)
Sopel (30),
Berard (30)
Hannan (28),
Stuart (27)
Brewer (28)

We know McKee signed for 4-yrs @$4M and I'd rather have Phillips. I would hope that Phillips would sign with the Sens for 4-yrs @ $3.5M but I think it will take more than that to get him, which may price him out of Ottawa. Do they really need to replace him if he leaves? IMO Schubert is Phillips replacement, but if it does not look like the Sens can sign him, then I for sure see a trade, but I'm optimistic they will get a long-term deal done with him.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:43 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Unless the Sens are able to move Gerber (or another significant salary is moved), it will be extremely difficult for the Sens to keep all of Phillips, Volchenkov and Emery beyond this year. Volchenkov and Emery will get substantial raises next summer, as both have arbitration rights. As such, I think if the Sens continue their inconsistent road this season, Phillips will be the odd man out. Hopefully the Sens can dump a salary in order to keep all 3...but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
hahahahahahahahaha

sorry man. Muckler refused to trade him in the past, I think he'll just hang up the phone to any deals involving him now.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 03:17 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
You would seriously have to overpay for him. Start with Stoll + Torres if you want Muckler to even listen.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Brandi

I'm okay with Phillips gone with somehing in return .. obviously
For what, I don't know, but if the Luongo deal actually went through, he'd be gone. Worth it for me.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 06:01 PM
JimmyPage

Markov (30 yrs)
Sopel (30),
Berard (30)
Hannan (28),
Stuart (27)
Brewer (28)

Kickabrat, are you talking length of contract here?

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 06:52 AM
billpo

Quote:

How about Redden?

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 06:54 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
Unless the Sens are able to move Gerber (or another significant salary is moved), it will be extremely difficult for the Sens to keep all of Phillips, Volchenkov and Emery beyond this year. Volchenkov and Emery will get substantial raises next summer, as both have arbitration rights. As such, I think if the Sens continue their inconsistent road this season, Phillips will be the odd man out. Hopefully the Sens can dump a salary in order to keep all 3...but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
We need to dump Reddens salary. It only makes sense.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 07:39 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Kudelka could probably replace Preissing next year except that he is a left hand shot so we may have to go looking for another right handed shot which may mean one of Volchenkov, Phillips or Meszaros could get moved. Unless Kudelka like Meszaros can play the right side and then there's Barinka who is a wild card to make the team. For some reason, I don't think that Redden will get moved during his contract since he is still considered their best D-man but they may let him walk at the end of his contract. They will need his $6.5 Mil to keep players like Spezza, Heatley, Meszaros, Eaves ... around.

Lee will likely be ready for a 5th or 6th D role when he comes out of college after his junior year which just happens to coinside with the end of Redden's contract. I think he will make the team out of camp and not spent any time in Bingo. Then there are the Russian defencemen Lyamin and Anikeyenko who were highly touted during their draft yrs and whether they come over to NA and make some noise on this team. So with four talented defencemen coming someone will eventually have to get moved or not re-signed from this roster by the 2008/9 season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Human Megaphone

I would like to see Phillips, Corvo, Mez and Volchenkov as our top four with guys like Shubert and Lee and maybe another young guy or a ufa signing as our d core in 2008.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 02:03 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
I would like to see Phillips, Corvo, Mez and Volchenkov as our top four with guys like Shubert and Lee and maybe another young guy or a ufa signing as our d core in 2008.
Me too. I thought we could have done without Redden and Chara this year, but maybe that was too much change, too fast.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Answer

Phillip might get traded ... thats been talked about ...

and Redden aint going anywhere .. atleast no where soon .. hes our franchise guy and muckler loves him .. thats why he let Chara go to make sure he can keep Redden for a long time ... and true Volchenkov aint going anywhere aswell ... neither is mezsaros

the D muckler will trade is Phillip for w.e he needs .. OR we might see schubert or corvo or priessing go for a forward in return!!!

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
The HW

I think (although I've certainly been wrong in the past...) that Phillips represents one of our best chances to have a guy take a "home town discount". I think he's very comfortable here, and the organization has shown him a ton of respect in the past. I think we could get him to put pen to paper in the $3.5 million range -- it seems like a pretty fair number to me for a UFA who is all defence, and will be about #3 on the depth chart.

The HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HW View Post
I think (although I've certainly been wrong in the past...) that Phillips represents one of our best chances to have a guy take a "home town discount". I think he's very comfortable here, and the organization has shown him a ton of respect in the past. I think we could get him to put pen to paper in the $3.5 million range -- it seems like a pretty fair number to me for a UFA who is all defence, and will be about #3 on the depth chart.
It seems fair to me too, but when McKee gets $4M, what does Phillips get? $4.5M?

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote