HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Left Wingers

Old
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post

Dean not going after Vinny Prospal still boggles my mind.
Did Prospal say he wanted to come here? I don't recall him saying that, so how do we even know he wanted to come? It's not always about what DL does. And according to the Columbus Dispatch as of Sept. 8th (start of camps) not one team made Prospal an offer, so maybe there's more to it than simply signing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
At some point, I think DS is the one that needs to adjust to make good offensive players effective. Make them useful. Players leaving the Kings system and excelling somewhere else is kinda getting old. I really hope Pearson pans out because developing our own is our only hope right now.
At some point, this post about guys going elsewhere and succeeding will get old. All teams have players leave and be successful elsewhere, but they also have players leave and either stagnant or decline. For each Ted Purcell, there is a Alexander Frolov.

And name one player that has left and 'excelled' elsewhere that fans on this board cried a river over at the time he left? When Moulson and Purcell left, there were more people saying good riddance than upset. Judging everything with 20/20 hindsight is what is getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlavender View Post
Still think we should have snagged raymond...
100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

Raymond - Not my first choice, but may be worth a look. Wouldn't cost too much, and aren't the Leafs looking for defensmen? Dunno, he's streaky and might not do squat in our system, but at least he's a pure LW.

Foligno (Nick) - Decent hands, decent size, throws his body around, a very Kings-esque player. He could be had I think because Columbus still has a few holes to fill. Some salary would have to be going back. They don't need defensemen, I don't think.

I'm sure there are others, but that's who I can think of off the top of my head that may be available.
As much as I'd love to have these guys, neither is a solution on second line LW. Foligno is a DL type of player and would be an excellent fit in this system, but he's more of a 3rd liner with solid all around tools. He'd be an asset for sure, just not the solution. Same with Raymond, though his style is more speed and finesse than the gritty one Foligno employs. Raymond would add some good speed to the line up, would like to see him with Lewis and Nolan. That'd be a good forecheck line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Florida is a team that makes sense for us trade wise. Flash and one of their vet dmen for some combination of Stoll/Regehr, Clifford, Vey and picks. Steep price for sure but less than some of the other trade targets.
Flieschmann has a $4.5 million cap hit for next year as well and has a NMC or modified NTC, so there's no guarantee he'd waive it to come to LA anyways. I don't see him fitting in well here, and I don't see Florida benefitting from a trade that nets them anything less than a 1st-plus good prospect-plus something else for Flieschmann, especially if they have to eat Regehr/Stoll's contract as well.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:44 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar Milan View Post
Williams is the best pure offensive mind this team has...you can't trade him
Plus I love how we trade him for a guy who is producing less,has recently only produced in contract years, has a much higher cap hit and is pretty much one-dimensional. Williams is superior to Semin is every aspect of the game aside from his shot.

And really, do you want a guy who fights like this?

Old
11-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Reclamation Project
The Expendable

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Did Prospal say he wanted to come here? I don't recall him saying that, so how do we even know he wanted to come? It's not always about what DL does. And according to the Columbus Dispatch as of Sept. 8th (start of camps) not one team made Prospal an offer, so maybe there's more to it than simply signing him.
Well, I never heard him say he didn't want to come here. He'd certainly be a large upgrade right now.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:40 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
The FA route is such a **** show. It's become a bidding war won by the biggest monkey that inevitably regrets winning a few years after the fact.
So true, unless you are shopping in the stay-at-home defenseman aisle where there are times that only a slight overpayment is required (Scuderi), or you pick up an item from the scratch and dent bin (Mitchell).

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:51 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
I think DL will address this before the deadline; I don't see him going for a deep playoff run without that 2nd line LW being addressed.
Vanek too rich...but would love him
Moulson - doable if Kings pieces are moved first to clear room (Stoll and RR for example)
Fleischman - Tallon said earlier this week that he's shopping his players and sent an email to the other GM's making it known. At 4.5 he's affordable, with pieces moved to clear room
Michalek

Steen is technically listed as a FA in 2014 but the Blues won't let him go.

I'd say their most realistic option would be Fleischman or Moulson.
The Islanders are supposedly looking to get more physical. How about Josh Bailey for Clifford + , or Bailey + for Clifford and Stoll?

I would love to see Regehr moved for something of value, but I don't think anyone is that dumb. Mayber Regehr + from the Kings to the Flyers for Coburn. The plus would have to be pretty good I'm afraid.

Old
11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Reclamation Project
The Expendable

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Islanders are supposedly looking to get more physical. How about Josh Bailey for Clifford + , or Bailey + for Clifford and Stoll?

I would love to see Regehr moved for something of value, but I don't think anyone is that dumb. Mayber Regehr + from the Kings to the Flyers for Coburn. The plus would have to be pretty good I'm afraid.
I'd like to trade Clifford.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I'd like to trade Clifford.
The left side would look better with:

Brown
Bailey
King

than

Brown
King
Clifford

Old
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Man I'd love to give Frolov another shot. I think he would do well under Sutter and the new wrap around NHL.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Well, I never heard him say he didn't want to come here. He'd certainly be a large upgrade right now.
He might, but the fact no NHL team had made him an offer as of the start of training camp speaks volumes that there is more to this picture. And 99.9% of NHLers don't say they don't want to go to Team X, doesn't mean they'd be willing to go there. There's a reason players have lengthy NTC/NMC's, and a free agent like Prospal can pick and choose where he wants to go. For all we know, Prospal is set to retire rather than play for 3-4 teams, all of which don't want him/need him.

Old
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar Milan View Post
Williams is the best pure offensive mind this team has...you can't trade him
Thank you! It still baffles me how many people want to trade Williams..his cap hit is so reasonable for what he brings to this team. I'd be looking closer at Stoll.

Brown hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire either..and he's making considerably more now.

Hoping this team doesn't need a shakeup - won't start to worry until the midway point of the season.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The left side would look better with:

Brown
Bailey
King

than

Brown
King
Clifford
but not as good as
brown
bailey
clifford

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Plus I love how we trade him for a guy who is producing less,has recently only produced in contract years, has a much higher cap hit and is pretty much one-dimensional. Williams is superior to Semin is every aspect of the game aside from his shot.

And really, do you want a guy who fights like this?
You just went full homer. Semin is better than Williams by a land slide. He has an amazing shot and great play making, you know how valuable those two are? He will help Kopitar a ton and score a ton off Kopitar. He's not one dimensional, if you actually watch the games instead of being biased you see the dude back checks a lot, even more than Williams. His game has changed a ton.

And if you actually knee about Semins game you would know he isvversatile, can play Left and Right wing.

Seriously.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 02:36 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
You just went full homer. Semin is better than Williams by a land slide. He has an amazing shot and great play making, you know how valuable those two are? He will help Kopitar a ton and score a ton off Kopitar. He's not one dimensional, if you actually watch the games instead of being biased you see the dude back checks a lot, even more than Williams. His game has changed a ton.

And if you actually knee about Semins game you would know he isvversatile, can play Left and Right wing.

Seriously.
Oh please. Watch the game, huh? Are you sure you do?

Semin's about as half-hearted as you can get. He plays when he wants to, has no physical game and even less character. Semin and Williams assists per game aren't all that far off either, something that shouldn't be if Semin is such a great playmaker that you claim, who was lining up beside Ovechkin for years. I don't dispute that Semin is more talented, but who cares about talent when you don't try at all for long stretches.

And when do you see Justin Williams' teammates blast him like this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...lexander-semin

Quote:
Bradley said he was disappointed in Semin's lack of effort, especially because he believes the Russian sniper "has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league and just for whatever reason, just doesn’t care."
Quote:
At this point the Capitals have to be hoping that Bradley's scathing comments light a competitive fire under Semin, because he's running out of second chances in Washington.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3085--nhl.html

Quote:
On Monday, Troy Brouwer of the Capitals tossed some gas on the fire with comments about Semin’s lack of effort for Washington, saying, “Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink.”
Quote:
His time in DC was tumultuous – regular seasons in which Semin scored 38, 34 and 40 goals, counterbalanced by ineffective play in the postseason. Dominant efforts for stretches, counterbalanced by stretches of invisibility.

The ‘E’ word – as in “enigma” – is too easily tossed at European players. But it came to define Semin in Washington.
When teammates through you under the bus like that and the local media refers to you as an enigma, who cares how talented you are? Semin would last about an hour under Sutter, or however long it takes to get from LAX to the Staples Centre. He only shows up when it's a benefit to him, like last year when he was playing for a contract. Big shock, he was a point a game guy. Now that he has his five year deal, he has seven points in 15 games.

Williams may only be half as skilled, but he's got about 10 times the heart Semin does.

Old
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Did you not read the part when I said he changed his game around? Apparently not since your fetching the caps articles.

Old
11-07-2013, 02:59 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Did you not read the part when I said he changed his game around? Apparently not since your fetching the caps articles.
And I guess you missed the part I said about playing in a contract year? Apparently not since he's only played in a contract year in Carolina.

Let's see how pretty he looks now that he's got $35 million reasons flowing his way to take a night off.

Wait until he leaves there too and you'll likely see some comments then. Teammates don't blast teammates very often until one of them has left the team, or until Semin himself leaves. Semin will have his ditractors.

Old
11-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
but not as good as
brown
bailey
clifford
Disagree. At this point King is a more effective hockey player than Clifford.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 04:38 PM
scramble91

Quote:
I used to be sold on Semin helping the kings. But watching him this year has changed my views. He really doesn't put the effort in away from the puck most of the time.

He is more offensively skilled than anyone on the kings (yes I said it), but I question his heart from what I've seen this season. Not to mention he would just live in the doghouse that Sutter would build for him.

I have no doubt that his numbers will rebound this season, but I don't think he will ever fit into the kings culture with his questionable work ethic..

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:18 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vinegar View Post
Disagree. At this point King is a more effective hockey player than Clifford.
how so ? playing on the top line and getting feeds from kopitar and williams can make a player look alot better then he is.

Old
11-07-2013, 05:25 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
I used to be sold on Semin helping the kings. But watching him this year has changed my views. He really doesn't put the effort in away from the puck most of the time.

He is more offensively skilled than anyone on the kings (yes I said it), but I question his heart from what I've seen this season. Not to mention he would just live in the doghouse that Sutter would build for him.

I have no doubt that his numbers will rebound this season, but I don't think he will ever fit into the kings culture with his questionable work ethic..
He's on a bottom feeding team. Even staal is doing ******. Semin is better guy who can do well on a good team. And with our core and team I'm sure he will adjust. If you want a talented player. You have to take a risk. Kings don't have skill. Kings really badly need someone like that. And his contract is going to be the norm when players start signing now. The kings need talent and creativity. We need a very good player and not some scrub like Moulson.

Old
11-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Just develop Tanner Pearson and let him learn how to play with Richards and Carter. Sooner he's here with the big club, the better.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:40 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
Just develop Tanner Pearson and let him learn how to play with Richards and Carter. Sooner he's here with the big club, the better.
very much agree with this

Old
11-07-2013, 05:43 PM
damacles1156

Semin would be a healthy Scratch on a Sutter coached team....

Dean Lombardi hates the type of player Semin is.

It's exactly why Froloaf is not here anymore. It's also why prospects like Gibson/Schumacher were shown the door.

You can be talented like crazy, but if your effort is half ass/ heart is not in it. You are not going to be an LA King, while Dean Lombardi is in charge.

I don't agree with all of Dean's (Principles)...But at least he has them, and sticks to them.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
how so ? playing on the top line and getting feeds from kopitar and williams can make a player look alot better then he is.
King causes a lot more turnovers on the forecheck than does Clifford.

Old
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
He doesn't take as many dumb penalties and he's smarter positionally.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Semin would be a healthy Scratch on a Sutter coached team....

Dean Lombardi hates the type of player Semin is.

It's exactly why Froloaf is not here anymore. It's also why prospects like Gibson/Schumacher were shown the door.

You can be talented like crazy, but if your effort is half ass/ heart is not in it. You are not going to be an LA King, while Dean Lombardi is in charge.

I don't agree with all of Dean's (Principles)...But at least he has them, and sticks to them.
That's quite the assumption to make that he'd be a healthy scratch.