HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#16 New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | November 7th | F/L 1-0

Old
11-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Discipline Daddy
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB

vCash: 500
Hey guys, sorry to hijack the GDT from the other side. I just came home from the game and agree with most of you. Both teams played solid defensively, but man oh MAN there was some incompetent offense from both sides. Both power plays looked pretty horrid. I'm sure having Lubomir would help, as it would likewise be nice for us to have Pitkanen and Skinner.

Is it just me, or did Matt Donavan look really out of place? He coughed up the puck quite a bit it seemed and couldn't hold the line. Overall I thought the Isles D looked solid and Poulin was great tonight. And boy Matt Martin can fight. Bellemore got destroyed there.

Discipline Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles1983 View Post
I dont have any of those. I was only 2 when they won their last cup....dont know what you are talking about with the Easter epic.....we should do what Bill did...build the team from scratch.
Not sure if serious about the "Easter Epic" so here goes.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-years-on.html

Killerlnstinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I hate losing as much or more than anyone. With that being said, I hate all the negativity. I mean I completely understand at and I wasn't watching Hockey in the early 80's so I have never seen the cup being raised by a Islander player. The Easter epic and the 93/94 run is all I can remember as our "high" points.
I was around for the dynasty years (early teens) and I never really appreciated Arbour but hearing how he motivated his players, never letting them get to high on themselves, gave advice where needed, worked their a$$es off in practice so they were always fresh in the 3rd period, and then fast forward to who's behind the bench now, I have really learned the effect of a good/great coach.

We have talent at the NHL level and more coming. We need a coach that can instruct, motivate, develop strategy, adjust where necessary. Hopefully Wang or Snow make a move. Not hopeful but wishing

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:08 PM
IHateSidney

Thanks for sharing....I appreciate it....wow Pat LaFontaine....now that was a hockey team....

IHateSidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Le Grec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVon Du Nord View Post
I gotta agree, Snow has made a lot of the right moves. Vanek brings so much more to the table than Moulson did as well. Vanek actually wins battles along the boards and creates space for himself. Sure we lose that go to PP guy, but that's all we lose.
The only "move" Snow has made that has really pissed me off, is being patient with people who don't deserve it, like Rolston, Mottau, Reasoner, Moulson, and currently Cappy.

For the first time in JT's career, he's got a legit NHL 1st line winger. Let's get him a legit NHL coach.

That's how you become legit.

Le Grec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Islanderfan17

Peter Laviolette, please step down.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
ugh!!!

Killerlnstinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
IslandersFan17

I am in Snow's corner big time. However, that won't last long if Capuano is kept around.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:59 PM
StumpNYI

Picked a great game to see in person

Long drive home.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:59 PM
12Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
For all you Corsi # lovers that cannot apply what really occurs in a Game yet prefers these #'s

Heres some numbers you might understand….Ist line….0 hits, 2nd line 0..hits….3rd line 1 hit…..now go check what the other teams top 9 did.…….Toughness wins games not how long you have the puck on your stick doing nothing.
Not just hits, this team seems to be extremely weak. Both man to man and on the puck. Seemed every stick on stick we lost. Don't know, maybe it's just my perception, but height/weight are one thing(which we lack) but actual strength, specifically being strong on the puck looked especially bad tonight.

12Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:05 PM
duster19

CAR def was to big and physical for us.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
RMimagery

Just finished the game. Most boring game I've watched in a long time. We had good pressure for the first half of the 1st period, then I hear Howie say we had no shots on net. Couldn't believe it. Must've had 6 good scoring chances, all missing the net. Pathetic.

Donovan was bad, even got dissed by Butchie, which is a rare thing. PP was awful. Most entries tonight were awful. Shanked shots and missed passes. CAR was bunched up against the puck carrier all night and they couldn't find the open ice. Looked like a bad pre season game. Puke.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Crazy Carl Spackler
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Just got home. A few notes and observations:

1) I have never seen that many Peca jerseys in my life. If you were to total up all the Peca jerseys I saw before tonight, that total would be less than what I saw tonight.
2) I saw a girl with a #11 jersey. "Who's that?" I kept thinking? Darius? Wood? Nope. Weinhandl.
3) Poulin played well. He was in position for the vast majority of the shots. His mechanics seemed to be spot on. He just needs to lay off the agressiveness.
4) Darth Milbury is a girly man.
5) About halfway through the 1st period, I knew the Isles would lose. The 'Canes seemed to have their number. It seemed the 'Canes knew how to beat the Isles at their own game (speed and hitting.)
6) I cannot count how many times the Isles
-a) could not break out of their own zone
-b) could not effectively gain the offensive zone.
-c) how many times the Isles worked the puck deep only to pass it (perfectly) to a 'Cane.
7) It seemed they just didn't care and were on autopilot.
8) It was an absolute turd fest of a game.
9) I felt like I was on an airplane where I had nothing to read, nothing to do, and the movie was something I had no interest in watching and something which should never have been made. We'll go with Jaws 4 for this example.

Last edited by Crazy Carl Spackler: 11-07-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Crazy Carl Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:26 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
We lose, and are knocked out of 3rd place all in one night. Book it.
Heyooooooooo

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:41 PM
SpeedDemon

don't know if anyone remembers the '00 Rangers when they lost 6-0 to the wings. The Post headline the next day was Fire Muckler Trade Smith. My classmate was at that game and he told the crowd was chanting the same thing.

I guess the isles version would be Fire Cappy, Trade Snow

Last edited by SpeedDemon: 11-07-2013 at 11:47 PM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:41 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
Just got home. A few notes and observations:

1) I have never seen that many Peca jerseys in my life. If you were to total up all the Peca jerseys I saw before tonight, that total would be less than what I saw tonight.
2) I saw a girl with a #11 jersey. "Who's that?" I kept thinking? Darius? Wood? Nope. Weinhandl.
3) Poulin played well. He was in position for the vast majority of the shots. His mechanics seemed to be spot on. He just needs to lay off the agressiveness.
4) Darth Milbury is a girly man.
5) About halfway through the 1st period, I knew the Isles would lose. The 'Canes seemed to have their number. It seemed the 'Canes knew how to beat the Isles at their own game (speed and hitting.)
6) I cannot count how many times the Isles
-a) could not break out of their own zone
-b) could not effectively gain the offensive zone.
-c) how many times the Isles worked the puck deep only to pass it (perfectly) to a 'Cane.
7) It seemed they just didn't care and were on autopilot.
8) It was an absolute turd fest of a game.
9) I felt like I was on an airplane where I had nothing to read, nothing to do, and the movie was something I had no interest in watching and something which should never have been made. We'll go with Jaws 4 for this example.
I noticed the good looking young chick in the tight black spandex pants wearing the orange peca jersey. Highlight of my night.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Bert Marshall days

The best part of that snoozefest was Howie mentioning the one the only BERT MARSHALL 5 times.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Most frustrating game I've watched. I remember the other game we played the Canes, and that was really frustrating as well. I was losing it, and the fact we got shut out by Justin freakin' Peters is unfortunate.

We couldn't hit the net either. My God, we had so many scoring chances in the first few minutes of the game and went wide on almost all of them. I think that's what brought down the Isles. Couldn't make a play at all.

Poulin was a rock IMO. That first goal he let up, there was nothing he could do about it. An unfortunate set of events.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:43 PM
wingnutks

I am smelling a nice 1-6 over the next 7 games. Its about that time.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Talain
Hit the Road Jack!

Good night everyone. When I wake up, Jack had better have hit the road. Or else I am probably going to start throwing things

Talain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:49 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Another example of why size matters on defense. Carolina's larger defense was able to shut down our attack...
...But right now this team is on the verge of quitting on it's coach, even if not on each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
….Ist line….0 hits, 2nd line 0..hits….3rd line 1 hit…..now go check what the other teams top 9 did.…….Toughness wins games not how long you have the puck on your stick doing nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Dog View Post
Not just hits, this team seems to be extremely weak. Both man to man and on the puck. Seemed every stick on stick we lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
CAR def was to big and physical for us.
The Isles never have an answer for big physical clubs because for the most part they are composed of munchkins & Marys. Add in a coach with the least amount of intelligence in the NHL who rewards all the kids with kudos after every loss reinforcing the poor play and who offers no thoughtful changes of his own besides flinging **** at the wall to see what sticks and you get yet another loss. I don't see this cycle breaking without changing the coach and without changing some bodies.

But we went into this season handing away every game against physical teams, so really, who is surprised? Put at least one banger on every line, starting with the first unit. Then go get a real coach who can motivate the girlscouts to play like men. I found tonight's loss more embarrassing than some of the blowouts.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:51 PM
blitzkriegs

Hahahaah... Typical.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 12:05 AM
DVon Du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
The only "move" Snow has made that has really pissed me off, is being patient with people who don't deserve it, like Rolston, Mottau, Reasoner, Moulson, and currently Cappy.

For the first time in JT's career, he's got a legit NHL 1st line winger. Let's get him a legit NHL coach.

That's how you become legit.
Exactly! This is the precise reason I said "a lot" lol you basically read my mind

DVon Du Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 12:22 AM
SI90

Don't know bout anyone else but I would take CAR's Harrison and Bellemore in a heartbeat...

Their big, physical, and were playing hard...

SI90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
Jesus, do you do this in every thread?

Snow is not the problem.

The problem is Wang.
It is sort of depressing to think that people really think that anyone else in the NYI GM role would be doing anything differently, or that Wang would hire anyone that would even be inclined to do anything differently.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote