HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
  #976
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Do you think they would take a prospect instead?
Maybe... But they have one if the best farm systems in the league... They'd ask for someone good.
Cause I'm sure one of the other 28 teams would offer a 2nd for DSP

The Fuhr* is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 10:55 PM
  #977
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I don't think his value will be higher at the deadline. But if so then sure we can wait but I want Lehner to get his fair share of ice in the mean time
Expect to be dissipointed

The Fuhr* is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 10:57 PM
  #978
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,183
vCash: 500
too bad glencross got injured. i've been thinking about him the last couple days as a possibility.

Icelevel is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
  #979
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I don't think his value will be higher at the deadline. But if so then sure we can wait but I want Lehner to get his fair share of ice in the mean time
Lehner's earned himself a higher share of the starts. Andy will still get the majority, as he's still an elite goalie, until the team moves him.

Sens aren't going to sewer Andy's trade value by making him the backup, and they won't trade him until they get the right offer.

Pretty easy to figure out, IMO. Lehner is the future, and it's not like Andy is costing us games when he's in net. We have the luxury of being patient right now. Let's use it to our advantage.

BonkTastic is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 10:59 PM
  #980
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Also Bonk, the problem with your scenario is that for Anderson to have high value, he needs to play and be a #1.

Well if that happens, Lehner won't be playing much and people won't be comfortable taking the risk of trading Anderson. The best time to trade Anderson is when he's playing like a #1 and playing well. But then people won't want to trade him.



The best time to trade him is now because
1-He is still relatively fresh off that crazy season from last year
2-He didn't ''lose'' his job to Lehner yet, he is just hurt

MAK19 is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:01 PM
  #981
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Where do you trade Anderson then? Not really a market now... Florida won't give anything good, already sellers.

The Fuhr* is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:01 PM
  #982
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,183
vCash: 500
If they did want to trade andy around now, he'd have to get in a couple solid starts and steal some games to get other teams real interested again. i don't think his value is particularly high right now. some risk has crept in since the beginning of the year.

Icelevel is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:03 PM
  #983
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Lehner's earned himself a higher share of the starts. Andy will still get the majority, as he's still an elite goalie, until the team moves him.

Sens aren't going to sewer Andy's trade value by making him the backup, and they won't trade him until they get the right offer.

Pretty easy to figure out, IMO. Lehner is the future, and it's not like Andy is costing us games when he's in net. We have the luxury of being patient right now. Let's use it to our advantage.
Lehner gives the team the best chance to win. The team needs every single one it can get. Therefore Anderson should be moved so Lehner can play, because as you say Anderson won't be made backup.

Also, thinking long term, it's better for Lehner's development to play and not sit on the bench for another season.

MAK19 is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:03 PM
  #984
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Where do you trade Anderson then? Not really a market now... Florida won't give anything good, already sellers.
maybe calgary in some sort of deal that involved berra or ramo coming back. course i was thinking of this more before glencross got injured.

Icelevel is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:05 PM
  #985
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Where do you trade Anderson then? Not really a market now... Florida won't give anything good, already sellers.
Edmonton. Florida. Islanders. Carolina. Winnipeg.

MAK19 is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:08 PM
  #986
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Lehner gives the team the best chance to win.
The difference is negligible, IMO. Lehner might have a slight edge right now, but the difference between the two is slight, at best. Andy has his days, Lehner has his days.



Also: It's pretty awesome that we even have these two ridiculously good goalies, which allows us to even have this conversation in the first place.

It's like:
"Baltic caviar is the best!"
"What balderdash is this?!? CLEARLY Caspian Caviar is the best!"

Feels good, man.

BonkTastic is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
  #987
dingbatz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country:
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
The difference is negligible, IMO. Lehner might have a slight edge right now, but the difference between the two is slight, at best. Andy has his days, Lehner has his days.



Also: It's pretty awesome that we even have these two ridiculously good goalies, which allows us to even have this conversation in the first place.

It's like:
"Baltic caviar is the best!"
"What balderdash is this?!? CLEARLY Caspian Caviar is the best!"

Feels good, man.
I can't wait until we get our defense sorted out.

Edit: Just noticed that after 16 games the Sens have scored more goals than the Penguins. 50 to 49.

dingbatz is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:15 PM
  #988
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Edmonton. Florida. Islanders. Carolina. Winnipeg.
Just because they might need a goalie, doesn't mean there's a market for one right now.


Carolina is paying a ton of money to Ward, they're likely to keep playing that hand until the absolutely have to make a move. They're kind of stuck.

Florida are sellers right now on goalies. They are probably still high on Markstrom long-term.

Islanders just paid a ton of organizational assets for Vanek, they might be content to roll with Nabokov this year and try to sign a UFA in the offseason.

Winnipeg? Are they done with Pavelec? And if so, are they going to make that decision now, or at the deadline? Also, are they comfortable carrying Pavelec's salary all season as a backup?

Edmonton? Psht. I have no idea what they're doing, but you'd think if they were competent, they'd have already traded for a goalie by now. Managerial incompetence is unpredictable. They super-lowballed us for Bishop, who'se to say they wouldn't do the same with Anderson?


... I'm just saying, there are plenty of reasons why, even if there are teams who could use a goalie, why the market might not be right for us to move Andy at this very moment. We have no idea what the market is like. It's easy to speculate, but it really doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you're not privy to the actual market details.

BonkTastic is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:15 PM
  #989
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,813
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Anderson for Semin

OmniSens is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:38 PM
  #990
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,093
vCash: 500
What happens when Lehner struggles? It is common in young unproven goalies

HSF is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:38 PM
  #991
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Just because they might need a goalie, doesn't mean there's a market for one right now.


Carolina is paying a ton of money to Ward, they're likely to keep playing that hand until the absolutely have to make a move. They're kind of stuck.
Doesn't insurance pay when they're hurt?
They can deal Anderson in the summer/when Ward comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Florida are sellers right now on goalies. They are probably still high on Markstrom long-term.
Thomas isn't working. Anderson can do what Thomas was supposed to. Might be a better candidate in summer though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Islanders just paid a ton of organizational assets for Vanek, they might be content to roll with Nabokov this year and try to sign a UFA in the offseason.
Or it's sign that they're serious about compteting and they need a goalie to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Winnipeg? Are they done with Pavelec? And if so, are they going to make that decision now, or at the deadline? Also, are they comfortable carrying Pavelec's salary all season as a backup?
Pavelec has been awful for a while. Imo his contract is unmovable, but that doesn't mean they can just ignore the goalie situation if they want to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Edmonton? Psht. I have no idea what they're doing, but you'd think if they were competent, they'd have already traded for a goalie by now. Managerial incompetence is unpredictable. They super-lowballed us for Bishop, who'se to say they wouldn't do the same with Anderson?
Maybe someday they'll wake up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
... I'm just saying, there are plenty of reasons why, even if there are teams who could use a goalie, why the market might not be right for us to move Andy at this very moment. We have no idea what the market is like. It's easy to speculate, but it really doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you're not privy to the actual market details.
I just don't see why it'll be better at the deadline. Maybe if a bunch of goalies come back injured from the Olympics, but ??? yeah

MAK19 is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:42 PM
  #992
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
What happens when Lehner struggles? It is common in young unproven goalies
Lunogo, Ward, Fleury, Smith, Backstrom, heck Anderson, and look at Quick. It's not exclusive to young goalies, not even close.

Lehner has everything you need to be an elite NHL goalie. All the physical skills and the mental makeup. He's not risky at all. He just needs playing time to perfect his craft, like every single young player to ever play.

MAK19 is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:55 PM
  #993
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Lunogo, Ward, Fleury, Smith, Backstrom, heck Anderson, and look at Quick. It's not exclusive to young goalies, not even close.

Lehner has everything you need to be an elite NHL goalie. All the physical skills and the mental makeup. He's not risky at all. He just needs playing time to perfect his craft, like every single young player to ever play.
Ya but u know those guys will bounce back we don't know much about Lehner at this level

HSF is online now  
Old
11-07-2013, 11:57 PM
  #994
Senateurs
No rispek!!
 
Senateurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,355
vCash: 500
Anderson, Conacher for Brayden Schenn, Emery

Senateurs is offline  
Old
11-08-2013, 12:24 AM
  #995
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,328
vCash: 500
Run with Anderson, Lehner. Its the back bone of this team and an outside shot at a long run. /conservativemove

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
11-08-2013, 12:40 AM
  #996
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,123
vCash: 137
I really dont see Anderson being traded this season.

Benny FTW is online now  
Old
11-08-2013, 12:48 AM
  #997
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Doesn't insurance pay when they're hurt?
They can deal Anderson in the summer/when Ward comes back.



Thomas isn't working. Anderson can do what Thomas was supposed to. Might be a better candidate in summer though



Or it's sign that they're serious about compteting and they need a goalie to do that.



Pavelec has been awful for a while. Imo his contract is unmovable, but that doesn't mean they can just ignore the goalie situation if they want to compete.



Maybe someday they'll wake up



I just don't see why it'll be better at the deadline. Maybe if a bunch of goalies come back injured from the Olympics, but ??? yeah
Like I said, I'm not saying those are reasons there isn't a market, but for every reason why there might be one, there's a possible reason why there isn't one.

I'm not arguing that the market is dry: I'm giving hypotheticals about why right now might not be the best time to move Anderson.

BonkTastic is online now  
Old
11-08-2013, 02:16 AM
  #998
danielpalfredsson
Registered User
 
danielpalfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,013
vCash: 500
We'll assume Lehner is slightly better, and more consistent. Even if this is the case, and Anderson becomes the back up, people yelling for him to be traded are neglecting one very important thing.

Are the assets that Ottawa get in return potentially worth costing them a playoff spot, or a playoff round? Aside from a trade that is so lopsided that Ottawa couldn't turn it down (which isn't likely), Anderson cannot go to an Eastern conference team.

The Wild Card spots are likely to end up going to two teams from Ottawa's division. Making every conference game important, and every division game extremely important.

For what ever return they get for him from an Eastern Conference team, they are not just trading Anderson, but also potentially rolling the dice on trading away their post season birth, and rolling the dice on trading away a round in the play offs if they end up meeting a team with the kind of Anderson who stops 50 shots in a playoff game.

As far as why teams don't roll with two goaltenders.....it's because they can't. How often does a goaltender on an entry level contract get hot? It's too expensive to carry two goaltenders on that level.

Goaltending depth is a major advantage. The last two games have clearly illustrated this. Ottawa lost Anderson at what could be called the most crucial point in their season thus far. If they didn't have depth, they would have likely lost the last two games, and the narrative would not be that the Sens win two straight and are gaining momentum, but that the season is over, and Melnyk should take the team out back with the rest of his horses.

danielpalfredsson is offline  
Old
11-08-2013, 07:48 AM
  #999
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
This team is a top 4 defenceman, and maybe a top 6 forward that can drive possession on Spezza's line away from being a cup contender. Get it done Murray.

D: Ehrhoff (BUF) or Carlson (WSH)
F: Hemsky (EDM), Elias (NJD), Versteeg (FLA) or Hartnell (PHI)

Would absolutely love to get Semin, but I don't think that Melnyk would take on that contract right now despite how good he is. Semin and Spezza together would be...ridiculous.

Cujomi is online now  
Old
11-08-2013, 07:57 AM
  #1000
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,328
vCash: 500
I don't think there should be any plan to trade for another forward till they get a look at a few of the guys in Bingo. No sense in spending so much in time and resources to develop these guys and not give them a shot. Hoffman being the main guy I have in mind.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.