HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Doull gets one game for his hit on Nedved.

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Irony in all of this?

Bettman's sport will probably get a larger TV audience (albeit of the DirecTV variety) for tonight's NYR/Bs game than any other tonight, based solely on the rivalry built up from yesterday.

No one here is hoping for WWF on ice, and hopefully the passion will translate into a superb game. But what is gained from the league's paranoid over-reaction to yesterday's activities? Who benefits? Serious question.

Let the boys take care of themselves and allow the on-ice officals to regulate the game.
Thats way too easy of an answer for the boys running the show now. Another physical game would boost their beloved ratings. They just refuse to grasp the concept that physical games between 2 rivals is a good thing.

Old
01-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Message to STBOB (the only NYR poster on this thread with more than a shred of objectivity and hockey knowledge):

One team's goon is another team's enforcer. (You know, the old, "he's on my team, he's not a dirty player!")

A solid case can be made for Doull being a no-talent goon. The very same case can be made for NYR's neanderthal on D. Yes, he fights, but he also jumps players, including Jason Blake from behind a couple seasons back. (Just awaiting the justification regarding that one from the hypocrite, er, fan who was ripping Peca last week for being a dity player and suddenly is calling for NYR justice tonight! )

Steve Webb rarely registered a point with NYI, and he drove opponents nuts as he's step on the ice and start hurling his body at players, a vast majority of the time legally. Should he be thrown out of the league? Tootoo? Others?

Slippery slope, one that would certainly include some of the hometown favorites.

If some of the video experts :p here spent 1/10 of the time studying the Zapruder film as they do studying slow-mo video of split second on-ice hits (and subsequently coming to ridiculous conclusions as a result), the JFK assassination would have been a shut and closed case decades ago!

Ask the majority of poster's who've followed Purinton throughout the year and they'll all agree that, although still a goon, has developed into a serviceable #6/#7 defenseman.

Calling for heads? My argument was based that most of the Bruin fans were acting as if they need to extract revenge for what happened last game. My point was that the Rangers were the team on the receiving end of the punishment in that game, and thus if there was anybody that would be looking to equal the score, "revenge", it would be NY.

Why don't you just take another sip and relax there slappy.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Alexander

vCash:
Well, the game is over and the Bruins took it 4-1. Their was a few scuffles here and there but overall it was a clean, intense game with a good finish (for Bruins fans). Whether or not the suspension of Doull attributed to the success of the game, we'll never know. However, for those of you who were interested, Petr Nedved was indeed in the line-up and looking great for the Rangers.

In the bad news side of things, Kasper is gone for 10-12 weeks with a broken tibia (I believe that is the term).

Old
01-20-2004, 10:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Message to STBOB (the only NYR poster on this thread with more than a shred of objectivity and hockey knowledge):

One team's goon is another team's enforcer. (You know, the old, "he's on my team, he's not a dirty player!")

A solid case can be made for Doull being a no-talent goon. The very same case can be made for NYR's neanderthal on D. Yes, he fights, but he also jumps players, including Jason Blake from behind a couple seasons back. (Just awaiting the justification regarding that one from the hypocrite, er, fan who was ripping Peca last week for being a dity player and suddenly is calling for NYR justice tonight! )

Steve Webb rarely registered a point with NYI, and he drove opponents nuts as he's step on the ice and start hurling his body at players, a vast majority of the time legally. Should he be thrown out of the league? Tootoo? Others?

Slippery slope, one that would certainly include some of the hometown favorites.

If some of the video experts :p here spent 1/10 of the time studying the Zapruder film as they do studying slow-mo video of split second on-ice hits (and subsequently coming to ridiculous conclusions as a result), the JFK assassination would have been a shut and closed case decades ago!
I'm quite aware that that one man's goon is another man's enforcer.

I have seen Dale Purinton pull some of the worst acts there out there. And he was a disgrace then. Since then, he has managed to tone it down a bit (and now he is only a disgrace because he can't skate :p ). And to the point of Jason Blake, can you really blame DP? That little SOB bothers the hell out of me! Love to have him on my team.

Webb might have rarely registered a point but he was a tenacious worker, fairly intelligent player who would get under other teams skin by working hard and throwing the big hits (while still being willing to drop the gloves). And he drew penalties.

Again, the most telling part, IMO is that Doull somehow managed to register 80 PIMs in a staggaring and exhausting :38 of ice time yesterday.

And I did see Nedved's head go back...and the left, back...and the left, back...and the left. Thanks for the kind words and laugh Trotts.

With that, I'm done with this thread. Parting is such sweet sorrow. And so is being a Ranger fan.