HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I will withhold judgement till Brossoit lets a goal in playing in echl nobody has scored on him his first 3 games.
He instantly becomes one of our best goalie prospects, which isn't saying a whole lot. He was an exceptional WHL goalie.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
AssistantCaptain*

vCash: 500
The promises and outcomes have been complete inverse of one another in every category; scouting, regular season finishes, coaching, trades, etc.
Anyone that contributes to the positivity thread should be given directions to the Alberta hospital.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
He instantly becomes one of our best goalie prospects, which isn't saying a whole lot. He was an exceptional WHL goalie.
Yeah I went to Edmonton to watch Oil kings in finals against Portland he was very solid. And for a bigger goalie has great mobility.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:53 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I hear Tyler Bunz was pretty good in the WHL too.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Yeah I went to Edmonton to watch Oil kings in finals against Portland he was very solid. And for a bigger goalie has great mobility.
Wasn't Tyler Bunz just fantastic in the WHL too?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Breaking point? Look at the posts on here. We are already broken. We relish our madness.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Horseradish

Reached it this evening.

I had stopped watching the Oilers since Detroit cuz I was waiting for them to string together a couple of games before wasting my time with them again.

Now? **** it. I'm done with the season and I'm done with the team for the foreseeable future.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 11:31 PM
LightSoundGeometry
Light,Sound,Geometry

Heard there was a gong show going on up there in Edmonton !

wonder if you have any players we could use lolol !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Bk_5PIcr8

LightSoundGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:44 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Reached it this evening.

I had stopped watching the Oilers since Detroit cuz I was waiting for them to string together a couple of games before wasting my time with them again.

Now? **** it. I'm done with the season and I'm done with the team for the foreseeable future.
You'll be back tomorrow like the masochistic slave that you are.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Today, or before that. Not sure when it happened but I just lol when this club loses and almost like it when they get buried. Oiler games are comedy now, nothing else.

This team and org is virtually impossible to like.

Trainwreck fascination at this point.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Kyle McMahon

I'm officially done. I've been bending for four years, this evening I finally broke. I hope Smid embarrasses the Oilers next time they play the Flames.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:57 AM
BlueChip01

I'm waiting for changes and it looks like they are starting. Have not watched a minute of a game since whoever we played before Toronto.

Interested to see the Bryz experiment.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 02:00 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Breaking point? Look at the posts on here. We are already broken. We relish our madness.

That gif perfectly sums up 99% of Oiler fans right now

11-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Today, or before that. Not sure when it happened but I just lol when this club loses and almost like it when they get buried. Oiler games are comedy now, nothing else.

This team and org is virtually impossible to like.

Trainwreck fascination at this point.
Pretty much where I'm at. Losing trades still sucks, but I hope they get embarrassed in every game so that we might actually see some change in management.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
You'll be back tomorrow like the masochistic slave that you are.
I'll be checking in on them. I refuse to watch the game though. It's too bad. I'd keep the radio on in the background...but I can't stand Jack Michaels and his fat-man-rambling (that's what I like to call it anyway-- jolly chubby guys seem to always love talking non-stop about nothing in particular ).

This franchise is so inept, they can't even hire a capable play-by-play man.

Old
11-09-2013, 03:15 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm officially done. I've been bending for four years, this evening I finally broke. I hope Smid embarrasses the Oilers next time they play the Flames.
Amen, man. Once this franchise finally recognizes that trading NHL players for non-NHL players is not a strategy to success, they'll start winning. But they haven't figured it out for YEARS, so I'm not gonna hold my breath for them to all of a sudden "get it" now.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:49 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Reached it this evening.

Yet you're in every thread. This is probably a record day for you as far as post count goes.
I've seen ten guys claim they were done and not one of them has stopped posting here.

Wondering how that works .... a person is done with the team, but they still devote hours of their precious free time to ranting about said team on a team fan board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Aside from a few paragraphs in the middle which talk about Oilers talent "development" (unarguably atrocious as the article says), that just a silly rant. Well written, but silly.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yet you're in every thread. This is probably a record day for you as far as post count goes.
I've seen ten guys claim they were done and not one of them has stopped posting here.

Wondering how that works .... a person is done with the team, but they still devote hours of their precious free time to ranting about said team on a team fan board.

Aside from a few paragraphs in the middle which talk about Oilers talent "development" (unarguably atrocious as the article says), that just a silly rant. Well written, but silly.
I'm done watching the Oilers until they put together a few games of impressive play where they get some wins to go along with it. 2 games into this commitment and I think it's paying off. I didn't waste my time getting my hopes up vs Florida and didn't get bent out of shape with the defensive breakdowns vs Tampa.

I'm not gonna stop being a fan altogether though.

And a big part of the reason I post in here is to hold fans to a higher standard of accountability re: what they demand from the team. When I see the ********* NHL trade in several years pulled off by our GM and fans DEFENDING it cuz Smid was "expendable," damn right I'm gonna keep posting. The point is, you don't trade decent NHL players on decent contracts for dick cheese and expect to be competitive. Good GMs simply don't do it. I don't care that he was traded, but it pisses me off that he wasn't traded to help the team in the foreseeable future. And many people don't seem to understand this stupidly basic principle of competitiveness in pro sports.

Old
11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
bOILing point

resigning my tier 2 membership

hi my name is Tristram and im an oiler fan.

hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading you posts for years. Hf boards is part of my daily reading. Some of you will judge me and some may understand. I have decided to cheer for another team and abdicate my tier 2 fandom of the oil. i can no longer identify with this organization. Here are my ramblings and reasons from a deranged and abused fan.
First of, if you do not understand what i mean when i say this is NOT year 3-4 whatever of a rebuild, you dont have the right to judge me. We have been rebuilding since we traded Mess. If you werent sold on future kids like reisen and swanson you dont know the suffering i have known. Im 39, cheered for this team for 33 years. Sather sold us on 5 year plans too.
This team has no loyalty. This team has no character. This team takes talented kids and i mean kids and systematically ruins them. This isnt new, Dan cleary,jason arnott, whitney..... the list goes on and on.
In the 90s we had an identity, we couldnt afford the big tickets, but we had grit, were hard to play against...we even had modest success. As a lifelong construction worker i could identify with this.
i loved my Oilers. loved them. we missed the playoffs more often than not but we were always close.
i loved players like grier, ethan, bobo, but we lacked skill. We played a great team game, just couldnt convert on the chances like the top teams.
Fast fwd to this team.........i hate them. They are lazy, cocky, have never won anything and make 6 mil. it makes me want to puke every time i see a kid get run and vets like hemsky or smyth just skate away to the bench, but honestly id do the same. Even our so called grinders wear race car numbers and have flowing hair, as if they think they are jaromir or something. Management doesnt just fire coaches, they betray them, leave their assistants in place because its a job for life, and force the new guy to work with the old guys guys. but they arent even the last coaches guys.......they hire quinn and renney, stab quinn in the back and give it to renney, kruegar is the assistant, then rinse and repeat. its not just firing its betrayal and it makes me sick. now we have a coach who has yet to prove himself treating guys in the media who have been there for 40 yrs like hes on the biggest loser.....so bloody arrogant.
Kevin Lowes a wimp, he doesnt want to be responsible for his actions, so he hires patsy gms but hes clearly involved. His comments about winning are rediculous. Guys, what if we signed vanek or heatly??meanwhile a young player who had success with a big centre naned brodziak sits at home waiting for a call. Glencross. we humuliated ourselves. Our owner is a recluse billionaire in what i think is about the sleaziest industry we have. pharmaceuticals. he basically ransomed the city to get an idiotic design of a building. That thing will cost 2x what they are saying and katz wont be paying.
they disregard the fan, we are done with 80s oiler hires and they know this, yet they hire messier.
they think we are stupid. they think we will always be here.
im not a big fan of smid, but trading a big dman when we so badly need size and grit, is beyond stupid. signing a goalie who openly mocks your organizations fanbase?He is possibly the biggest blithering idiot that ive ever seen clips of.
Imagine for a second your a fan of another team......what a treat it would be to watch this pompous group fail every year so badly. ive coached for almost 10 yrs, just minor hockey. how come i know that yakupov is your best option on the hash marks on the pp, how many goals did he score from stamkos territory last year?? we had a GREAT pp last year... so what do we do? put the best finisher on the pp out of position or in the press box.
And finally...... GAGNER. how do we let someone play centre for us for 5 yrs but dont hold him accountable for zero backchecking.
some of you will say good riddance and some of you are right behind me... but remember i hung in here for over 30 yrs. I cant identify with this team

so im done. f u K lowe and d katz.

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Empros

So who's the other team? Do you love them?

Empros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:30 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Lowe and Katz only cares about tier 1 fans, and the oilers have over 1000 suckers waiting in the wings paying money for no good reason so they can be one if some leave hehe.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM
bOILing point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empros View Post
So who's the other team? Do you love them?
haha ill take the first team that bans the toe drag

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:34 PM
tiger_80

I understand the sentiment. At some point, more and more fans will be disengaging from the team. MacT has completed what Lowe and tambellini started--and run the team into the ground to the point that it needs a new re-build. Smid's trade signals the official arrival of the perpetual re-build. It's a matter of time before they start selling their 6M wunderkinds for picks and prospects.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Looks like you've reached your boiling point.

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:55 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Looks like you've reached your boiling point.
A lot of us have.

The sheer arrogance from Lowe and the invisibility of Katz is infuriating. This team has been stuck at sea without a sail since 2006.

Fans deserve better.

Unfortuately, Mr. Katz and Mr. Lowe don't agree.

If Kevin Lowe had any backbone he'd resign from his position and leave the organization, because honestly.. and this is going way back, but Sather would've never let this club suck so bad, for so long.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote