HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Derick Pouliot didn't even play tonight and he put up no points either. Clearly a bust.
His last name is Pouliot, clearly Shero wasn't thinking when he drafted him, I mean Marc-Antoine and Benoit...seriously Ray, you idiot. They may be unrelated, but that last name is marked for failure. Wasted pick, could have taken a winger.

But back to reality...

I think people on this board outside of our fan base severely underrate the college kids the Pens have drafted. Hanowski and Agostino were bleh to them until Calgary got them.

Old
11-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Burgs

You have to consider Rust and Archibald weren't very productive up until last season. Neither did anything at the WJC, Rust didn't even make one of the weakest U.S. rosters in recent years. Archibald was really small in his draft year, too (he's now about 5'11 and 180 lbs). And Scott Wilson plays for a darkhorse team and is a slow starter. None of them will catch a random fan's eye.

Last edited by Burgs: 11-09-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old
11-09-2013, 11:38 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post

I think people on this board outside of our fan base severely underrate the college kids the Pens have drafted. Hanowski and Agostino were bleh to them until Calgary got them.
I'm not sure people underrate them. Archibald is a really good prospect and I believe was in most people's top-10 prospects when we did our poll. Blueger is another guy whom people rate highly. For guys like Wilson, D'Agostino and Agostino, people here had/have (rightfully) cautiously high hope for those guys, even though the latter is not in our organization anymore. So I don't think people here are unrealistically "down" on our NCAA prospects.

I would add Guentzel to the group of Archibald and Blueger as guys who are within or near our top-10 list and group of forwards who we think have top 6, or at least top 9, potential. For the other guys from this past draft class it is too early to judge, and it's too early to see if Rust's "offensive" game will translate to the pros -- because if it doesn't, I don't see how he can supplant guys like Megna and Macaroni for a bottom/middle 6 RW spot...unless he moves to the left side. I actually think people are quite realistic about our NCAA prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
You have to consider Rust and Archibald weren't very productive up until last season. Neither did anything at the WJC, Rust didn't even make one of the weakest U.S. rosters in recent years. Archibald was really small in his draft year, too (he's now about 5'11 and 180 lbs). And Scott Wilson plays for a darkhorse team and is a slow starter. None of them will catch a random fan's eye.
Agree with you on Rust and to a degree on Wilson -- since he's a guy who has apparent skill and puts up numbers, but still has a small frame and is less predictable as to how/if his offensive numbers translate to the pros. I would say a similar thing about Rust: not particularly big, not particularly physical, has pretty decent speed but not great speed (like Archibald, Megna or Macaroni) and before last season, did nothing of not offensively.

Archibald, however, is a different story. He's always been small, but he was a very high pedigree player coming out of high school. He has blazing speed and distinct goal-scoring ability -- which differentiate him from our other group of prospects and give reason to believe he's more of a legit NHL prospect -- and he's got the leadership, intangibles and some grit to go with that. I think he's easily the best of the bunch of our college prospects with a gap in between right now, and we'll see over the next year or two if Blueger and/or Guentzel put themselves in that conversation.

Old
11-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
I think a lot of our college guys flying completely under the radar simply has to do with what colleges they're playing for. Obviously that doesn't account for Rust, but how many people out there actually watch Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota State, UMass-Lowell, etc. games? If Blueger played on Minnesota instead of Minnesota State I'm sure he'd be on more people's radar.

The scouts know these, but the amateur scouts that hang out around HFBoards aren't going to see these guys unless they specifically seek them out...and that's an easy way to fall off someone's radar...especially when they're getting drafted out of these small leagues and high schools where nobody even knows these guys existed until they got drafted.

Hell, I have to admit that part of the reason I've stopped doing my pre-draft research is that I just assume I'm going to know maybe one of our round 2-7 picks because, let's be honest here, it's more difficult to get tape of the Salisbury Crimson Knights than it is the Edmonton Oil Kings.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
11-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

at some point i want to see a line of Guentzel-Bluger-Archibald just so that they can be called the 'Minny Line' - all three are products of Minnesota high school hockey and all three could stand to add more 'size'

Old
11-10-2013, 12:25 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I think a lot of our college guys flying completely under the radar simply has to do with what colleges they're playing for. Obviously that doesn't account for Rust, but how many people out there actually watch Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota State, UMass-Lowell, etc. games? If Blueger played on Minnesota instead of Minnesota State I'm sure he'd be on more people's radar.
This is something I've been thinking about. It's kind of relevant to some of the debates about the Penguins' prospect pool, since so many of their forward prospects are still in college. It seems like in general there's more interest in a guy like Zlobin or Sundqvist than Archibald or Rust. I think college prospects in general tend to get lost in the shuffle a bit, regardless of their program's prestige. A guy having a really solid college career just isn't as sexy as a guy who's doing well in the Canadian juniors or European pro leagues. I figure it's pretty much down to the fact that it's really easy to overlook guys who typically are off limits for four years after they're draft.

Old
11-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
This is something I've been thinking about. It's kind of relevant to some of the debates about the Penguins' prospect pool, since so many of their forward prospects are still in college. It seems like in general there's more interest in a guy like Zlobin or Sundqvist than Archibald or Rust. I think college prospects in general tend to get lost in the shuffle a bit, regardless of their program's prestige. A guy having a really solid college career just isn't as sexy as a guy who's doing well in the Canadian juniors or European pro leagues. I figure it's pretty much down to the fact that it's really easy to overlook guys who typically are off limits for four years after they're draft.
If Zlobin were named Chris Smith and played for Clarkson barely anyone would be talking about him.

I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve to be talked about, but hey...he's a European who won a Memorial Cup. He's just as long-term of a prospect as any of our collegiate players, but he's got a sexy backstory and took only one year after being drafted to turn pro.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Honour Over Glory

Is Zlobin back yet?

Old
11-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

He had his debut tonight I believe.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:31 PM
ByeBye

Does anybody know why Kühnhackl was scratched last night?

Old
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Sivek

Looks like Archibald is playing in all situations from this article.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...28_seconds.php

Old
11-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Gus Katsaros ‏@KatsHockey 8m
Matt Murray of the @OHLHoundPower Named OHL Player of the Week
https://twitter.com/KatsHockey/statu...01291646033920

Old
11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Honour Over Glory

I'm weird-ed out at the idea that this team finally has some decent goaltending prospects...I feel like there's a catch coming soon.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
I'm weird-ed out at the idea that this team finally has some decent goaltending prospects...I feel like there's a catch coming soon.
Good at the AHL, average at best in the NHL? let's hope not. Let's hope Murray and Jarry are the real deal, the next Gibson assuming he's going to be great at the NHL level.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
don't you know that if your expectations for the prospects becomes to high they turn into pumpkins...

Old
11-11-2013, 04:16 PM
wej20

Quote:
It's still early, it's extremely difficult to judge goalies until they play at the NHL level.

Old
11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
It's still early, it's extremely difficult to judge goalies until they play at the NHL level.
Exactly. There have been goalies who played better than Jarry/Murray at the Junior level and never made it out of the ECHL. Likewise, there have been goalies with significantly worse Junior careers and went on to become starting NHL goalies. We drafted one 1st overall a few years back.

Old
11-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
They're going to continue the trend and be terrible in the play-offs.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:17 PM
cygnus47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
If Jarry is as cool as advertised it won't be an issue.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
If only Fleury ever had any playoff success, thank god Zatkoff has.

Old
11-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
As we've seen with the blueliners, it doesn't necessarily mean we're going to manage these assets properly...or even give them a chance.

Old
11-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

They're all just going to fail anyway. - The Penguins fan's mantra

Old
11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
They're all just going to fail anyway. - The Penguins fan's mantra
that's the optimistic take. the pessimistic take is that they'll succeed elsewhere.

Old
11-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Burgs

First multi-point game of Oscar Sundqvist's young SHL career yesterday as Skelleftea beat Linköping, 4-3. Sundqvist scored a PP goal off a rebound and added a great assist on the GWG.
His goal comes at about the 1:30 mark in the video, he's #29 in white.

Last edited by Burgs: 11-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old
11-12-2013, 11:09 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
First multi-point game of Oscar Sundqvist's young SHL career yesterday as Skelleftea beat Linköping, 4-3. Sundqvist scored a PP goal off a rebound and added a great assist on the GWG.
His goal comes at about the 1:30 mark in the video, he's #29 in white.
Thanks for the link, Burgs. Nice to see him having some success and playing with the big boys but man, he needs to work on his skating, which I'm sure is something he'll have time to do. Hope he can get there.

Closed Thread