Regarding Perezhogin, I heard after one of his poor plays Pierre or Yvon say something to the effect of "that's what can happen when you're not playing at 100%"...I don't know if they meant that he was sick/hurt or that he wasn't all there mentally that game (which wouldn't surprise me either since they were giving him a pretty rough time all night, not totally undeserved either). I think it was in the first period...
amazing game. shot total doesnt mean anything. most shots were forced to the outside. kovalev was amazing tonight and samsonov i think is getting better every day. higgins, my god. walked through a few players tonight and that deflection...wow.
Higgins played a great game tonight and hasn't missed a beat even after being out for 6 weeks.No sophmore jinx for this guy and to think last season people compared Higgins to Steen and other than Habs fans most picked Steen as the better player.Steen may end up being better one day but right now he is no where near the player Higgins is.Great win tonight.
Steen will NEVER be better than Higgins. Don't be fooled by what guys say on the prospects board. They hate habs prospects. Higgins has elite speed, Steen doesn't. Higgins has great hands, Steen doesn't. Higgins lives in front of the net and drives passionately to the net. Steen doesn't. Both possess good passing skills, and both possess solid defensive skills. That's where the similarities end. Steen is a third line guy, who may be able to move up to a second line spot as an injury fill-in, etc. Higgins is already a first line forward and a scoring threat in this league. Steen has 2 goals in 35-plus games and had at least a 19 game goalless streak. Higgins has 10 goals in 14 games.
They should no longer even be compared.
Great win by the Habs!! Two beautiful goals by Higgins. That re-direction exemplifies the kind of hands he has. A great give-and-go with Ryder. Nice to see the Habs beat Buff. in regulation.
I like how our special team improve again tonight. If I'm not mistaken, we're now 23,8% on pp and 89.2% sh. And seeing as the Avalanche scored 3 pp goal on Edmonton tonight, we might end up getting the league first's rank short handed as well. Not too shabby ! Go go special teams.
Just did the calculations, Edmonton's at 89.3%. So close.
went to the game tonight... just a few observations i had:
1. Huet was simply fantastical! Even the Sabres fans near me where wowed by the guy... I've seen him play live many times, tonight he was above his game, overall.
2. Lapierre's impressing the heck out of me. Didn't expect this kid to do what he's been doing, but the guy deserves a spot and a half on this team. He was used in ever scenario and did well. He keeps it up, he's staying the entire year.
3. Kovalev's starting to play (finally). It's taken him some time, but Kovalev's starting to really show that he wants to play. He's not potting in 5 points a night, but he's starting to show signs like he wants to give a great effort more than 5 minutes per game. Maybe I haven't noticed much, or maybe it was just watching him live tonight, but if he keeps it up, we'll be looking good for a while.
4. our third line (perez-bonk-johnson) still rocks
5. higgins is awesome! dude's even tossing the body too.
6. i like what i'm seeing out of Streit (didn't think i'd be saying that anytime soon). he's performed well as a forward and, oddly enough, i kinda like him together with lats and lapierre.
Perezhogin was pretty awful tonight. Did a lot of things poorly, wasn't competing, wasn't skating as well as he could. Not battling for pucks. Probably his worst game of the year.
Ryder, IMO, was somewhat invisible. He had a couple of decent small sequences, only a couple of turnovers, not terrible, but certainly not a strong game like he had vs. Pittsburgh.
perez was hurt, i think... i was sitting to the top left of the habs bench and looked like he wasn't 100% tonight. he came back from one play (can't remember) and he sat down and just yelled out of frustration. he wasn't great, but he wasn't bad tonite either
ryder... same as perez in that he wasn't great but wasn't bad. he made a few checks, legged it out, set up higgins nicely... was a decent game for him but he's definitely capable of much more
Did anyone else see, I think it was in the second period, Perezhogin had either Gaustad or Roy completely lined up, they had their head down skating with the puck and then he didn't make the check?! It drove me nuts for a few minutes. I know he's not big, and hitting isn't really his game, but it would have been huge!
Last edited by montreal: 12-21-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Reason: edited off topic comment
Why is everyone treating Murray like ****? He was never supposed to be an offensive machine and he's a fringe NHL player at best. He wasn't expected to keep a regular spot on the lineup, but for lack of better players he did stay here. He's done well so far, although this year as slipped up a bit, but give the guy a break.
its not that everyone is pickin on the guy. its just that montreal has too much depth to have a guy like this on the roster.