HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Embracing the Rebuild: Tank Nation, the Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2013, 02:07 PM
omglolnub

vCash: 500
I just think it's silly that the worst team only gets a 25% chance of first overall. I think it should be somewhere in the 40% range, then the rest get the remainder of the odds.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
I just think it's silly that the worst team only gets a 25% chance of first overall. I think it should be somewhere in the 40% range, then the rest get the remainder of the odds.
yes, because encouraging the race to the bottom is something a pro sports league wants

Old
11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
yes, because encouraging the race to the bottom is something a pro sports league wants
Eh, only a 15 point difference. I feel like it'd still be equitable enough. I also felt like the old worst 4 lottery was good enough.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:26 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Seriously. I'd actually prefer to put all of the non-playoff teams in a completely random lottery for all of the picks from 1 to 14. Stop this tank nonsense once and for all.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Seriously. I'd actually prefer to put all of the non-playoff teams in a completely random lottery for all of the picks from 1 to 14. Stop this tank nonsense once and for all.
Yep. This is my preferred method too.

Old
11-09-2013, 03:33 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
i think tanking is something created by fans to make them feel better about a terrible season. Very few teams IMO have actually tanked on purpose so early.

Old
11-09-2013, 03:38 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I love these comically simplistic timelines. Why exactly are we going to see "noticeable improvement" in 15/16?
Isn't it comically simplistic, then, to plan on 21 year olds being better NHL players than they were at 18? That's basically what we're talking about.

I mean, if you don't believe that young players develop, then by all means, roar with frustration over how we can possibly expect to improve over this year.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
i think tanking is something created by fans to make them feel better about a terrible season. Very few teams IMO have actually tanked on purpose so early.
Yet here we are watching one.

Don't deny it. If we weren't Rolston would be gone. He probably wouldn't have been hired.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
SublimeZemGod

Tank Nation! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If you are going to suck, might as well be the best at sucking.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:02 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Isn't it comically simplistic, then, to plan on 21 year olds being better NHL players than they were at 18? That's basically what we're talking about.

I mean, if you don't believe that young players develop, then by all means, roar with frustration over how we can possibly expect to improve over this year.
And I'm just speaking in general terms for a timeline so that non-Sabres fan friends of mine who just say "Sabres suck" or "wtf is your team seriously doing?" can see where this is all headed. For them (non-fans), basically it's a check-back-with-us-in-2018-or-so, in simple terms.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
no one would trade firsts for players like Pommers after that, would definitely alter the trade market

Old
11-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Selanne00008

With all these picks and probly not enough roster spots (AHL etc) it could become an issue. How about signing the right kind of RFA from another team? Not this year, but maybe next summer (2015).

Old
11-09-2013, 07:26 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
With all these picks and probly not enough roster spots (AHL etc) it could become an issue. How about signing the right kind of RFA from another team? Not this year, but maybe next summer (2015).
That might be a good idea. However I'm under the assumption that you mean an offer sheet, usually those don't go well.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I'd say break the non-playoff teams up into 2 groups, and do lotteries within each group. I feel like a team on the bubble shouldn't be winning 1st overall. If it were in 2 groups, a team could potentially move up or down 7 places, which would accomplish the same thing as what you said, but also create an element of fairness for the weakest teams - giving them a much bigger chance at 1st overall.
This isn't bad.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Prospector74

How far ahead of time does a change like that need to be put in place? 1 year?

Edit: I'd be good with that as I don't want us to be barfing up an entire second season in hopes of chasing McDavid. If we could be better, but not great that would be much preferred to ongoing stinkage.

Old
11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
AirBriere48

“@MatthewWGR: Jason Pominville with his 11th goal and shootout winner for Minnesota #WinningTrades”

WGR is so bad it's comical.

Old
11-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post
“@MatthewWGR: Jason Pominville with his 11th goal and shootout winner for Minnesota #WinningTrades”

I do that trade 10 out of 10 times.

Real happy for Poms tho.

Old
11-10-2013, 01:55 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Yet here we are watching one.

Don't deny it. If we weren't Rolston would be gone. He probably wouldn't have been hired.
Darcy Regier cant fire Rolston. If he did fire Rolston it would show even more how incompetent he is.

He must give Rolston a chance to develop these players, which means he gets a full season. IMO should probably get a couple years before we expect to see anything.

As for the tank, if this team is on a winning streak at the end of the year I guarantee they do nothing to stop it.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 11-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old
11-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post

I mean he's not wrong. The odds say generally that Zadorov, Hackett, Larsson and whoever the 2nd round pick winds up being won't be as good as Pominville.

I'd wager he'd also agree that the Sabres put themselves in a position where they really didn't have any choice and that Darcy ultimately did the best he could possibly do in that situation. It still doesn't make arguing the Sabres "won" a trade in which they lost a proven player for a bunch of unproven ones any easier.

Old
11-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
With that plan, awful teams will have a much more difficult time climbing out of the gutter, especially if it is a smaller market team like Buffalo.

I have no problem with the worst teams getting a bigger advantage in getting top picks. There should be a graduated odds advantage based on how poorly you finish. To combat the "race to the bottom" problem, the worst team should only get a marginally better chance than the second-to-last team, etc. etc.

NO WAY should a team that just missed the playoffs be on equal footing in getting a top pick as the team at the bottom.

Old
11-10-2013, 02:14 AM
Shoey
Hello.

I'd love it if the NHL sanctioned a single elimination prospect tournament to determine the draft order sometime in late June. It'd be such amazing television.

Old
11-10-2013, 02:15 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I mean he's not wrong. The odds say generally that Zadorov, Hackett, Larsson and whoever the 2nd round pick winds up being won't be as good as Pominville.

I'd wager he'd also agree that the Sabres put themselves in a position where they really didn't have any choice and that Darcy ultimately did the best he could possibly do in that situation. It still doesn't make arguing the Sabres "won" a trade in which they lost a proven player for a bunch of unproven ones any easier.
Its so weird to me. Last offseason we are offering Parise and Suter the most money to take us to the cup, less then a year later we are trading Pominville to play with Parise and Suter and embracing a rebuild. lol.

I feel like I am in a bad relationship but we cant breakup.

Old
11-10-2013, 04:43 AM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Its so weird to me. Last offseason we are offering Parise and Suter the most money to take us to the cup, less then a year later we are trading Pominville to play with Parise and Suter and embracing a rebuild. lol.

I feel like I am in a bad relationship but we cant breakup.
It's sort of like that.

We couldn't trick the best girls with money so instead we force young ones to be with us, prospects that somehow make grow out to something outstanding.

Old
11-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
It's sort of like that.

We couldn't trick the best girls with money so instead we force young ones to be with us, prospects that somehow make grow out to something outstanding.
Our new drafting process and lead scout.

Closed Thread