HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
10-29-2013, 05:32 PM
hilega

vCash: 500
Discount Sticks

Looking at some discount sticks on hockeymonkey under $100. I'm 32, 5'10 160lbs taking an adult level 2 learn to play class. Looking to get more velocity (technique needs improvement as well) on my wrist/snap shots (not taking any slappers) and better puck feel. Currently have a Int 65 Stealth 55S (heavy at 536g, dull, whippy, hate it) and an Int 65 Stealth 55S II (much better feel, completely different taper, just a little heavy, pretty good stick for the price). For the same price (or cheaper) as the 65S II or 75S II I can get the sticks below and I am looking for something much lighter.

Looking at Int 65/70 or Sr 75 sticks:

Crazy Light (432g)
Crazy Strong (432g)
Diablo (440g)
Dolomite DD (470g)

Thoughts?

hilega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:41 PM
AIREAYE

This is a personal preference question, so you'll hear many different answers and reasoning. From dealing in all of the above, I would say that you honestly could just pick one randomly, especially for what you are doing. That said, I say Crazy Strong for the extra durability and Dolomite for its versatility and dependability.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:47 AM
3koma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Never seen the inside of a blade before? The vast majority have foam cores.
Foam was not find at blade, it was found broken area which 1/3 of lower shaft.Due to i did not break at such place before, so i just wonder it is normal or not.And they are not high density foam or high end foam.It just like a piece of toys foam which stuff at inner shaft.

3koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
AIREAYE

Depends on how the stick is fused. Shouldn't be if any concern.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This is a personal preference question, so you'll hear many different answers and reasoning. From dealing in all of the above, I would say that you honestly could just pick one randomly, especially for what you are doing. That said, I say Crazy Strong for the extra durability and Dolomite for its versatility and dependability.
+1 on that

I would lean towards the Dolomite in 75 flex at your height. They are good sticks. If you have no pattern preference, I'd recommend the Kovalchuk.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:53 AM
hilega

Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
+1 on that

I would lean towards the Dolomite in 75 flex at your height. They are good sticks. If you have no pattern preference, I'd recommend the Kovalchuk.
Thanks for the recs. I was hoping you two (AA) would chime in. It looks like there are some 75 pro stocks dolo's available (not concerned with breaking really, but I would like a Mid, Med curve, closed-slightly open -- currently use a Hall blade). Probably won't go with a PS stick (too much uncertainty).

Can you cut down the "+3" Warrior shafts without affecting flex? 63" seems a bit much compared to my 58.5" Int Stealth 55S II.

EDIT: found my answer ...

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...-lineup/page-2

Probably going to go with a Sr 75 CS or Diablo from hm.

Last edited by hilega: 10-30-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Found the answer to my stick length/flex question
hilega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
mistrhanky

I bought to Dolo's and a Diablo last year in a 75, RH, Vanek and love them. I think they are a GREAT value for the money and I am an old guy starting my third season, so probably only about a year more play than you have. Having an ill fitting stick has a lot more effect than you might think it does. I know the Diablo has the lower kick point, but I am still happy with it. Dolo's are super though.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
youthoftoday

I'm not a stick guy at all. I've been playing less than 3 years now and I'm still trying to figure out what I like and what fits me best. I'm 5'11, 160 and mainly shoot wristers/snap shots.
Just curious, are those Warrior pro stocks that Hockey Monkey carries any good? With their current 20% off, they're less than $100. I'm not someone who wants to spend a lot on a stick. Are these sticks better value than getting a mid level Warrior/Bauer/Eaton? How would they compare to say a Warrior Diablo or Bauer Vapor X6.0 which are around the same price?

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pro stocks are kind of a crap shoot...no real idea what you're going to get in terms of construction or curve. If you literally don't care, then they're a good deal because it's a high end stick for cheap.

I'd say if you can get a Diablo at $100, that's a pretty decent deal. It's a good stick but is on the stiffer side, so at your height/weight you would probably want a 75 flex.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:02 PM
youthoftoday

Thanks. Ya, the curve part was bothering me as well. Its funny, a couple of weeks ago, they had pictures of all these different custom curves which were hard to tell actually what they were as they were just renditions with no actual specs. Now, they are just listing them as 'Similar to Draper", etc.
Diablo vs X6.0? I've never used a Warrior before. I'm sure there are pros and cons for each.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I prefer how the Vapor series, but the Diablo would probably be a little lighter with better puck feel. I could be wrong though, I haven't used that version of the Vapor and am not familiar with the blade.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:35 AM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

I really want the new Sherwood.. looks great + I've always liked Sherwood's blades

One Turris God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:14 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I currently play with a 81 flex (75 flex cut 2") Reebok 8K 2piece with a P34 (Hamrlik) curve. I love the stick but I can't find the shaft, blade or 1-piece stick anymore and I'm not about to spend $250 on the modern Reebok equivalent in the 11K. Now I'm looking for something else.

I've been eying the Warrior Diablo stick and have some questions if someone could weigh in.

First, I was looking at the 75 flex. It's a 63" shaft with the 75 flex rating being at the 60" mark. Any idea on how much flex it would be after cutting off about 8 inches, 5 inches beyond the 75 flex mark? Will it be super stiff or will it not change much since it's low kickpoint? My Reebok cut to the 81 flex mark is about as stiff as I'd want to go. I could even go softer by about 5 points if need be but not more.

Second, if the flex would increase too much should I look at a 70 flex intermediate Diablo? Does anyone know if the shaft or blade dimensions are any smaller?

Third, as far as curves go, does anyone have any opinions on the Gionta vs Kovalchuk curves? I have liked how my P34 blade is very neutral and mellow but I want a bit of a deeper curve. Any opinions on if I should go with the Kovy and it's uniform curve or try out the Gionta with the toe curve?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kr580: 11-10-2013 at 04:57 AM.
kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:59 AM
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I prefer how the Vapor series, but the Diablo would probably be a little lighter with better puck feel. I could be wrong though, I haven't used that version of the Vapor and am not familiar with the blade.
I have a Vapor stick (X:40; X:60) and it's actually kind of hard to feel the puck on your stick.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I currently play with a 81 flex (75 flex cut 2") Reebok 8K 2piece with a P34 (Hamrlik) curve. I love the stick but I can't find the shaft, blade or 1-piece stick anymore and I'm not about to spend $250 on the modern Reebok equivalent in the 11K. Now I'm looking for something else.

I've been eying the Warrior Diablo stick and have some questions if someone could weigh in.

First, I was looking at the 75 flex. It's a 63" shaft with the 75 flex rating being at the 60" mark. Any idea on how much flex it would be after cutting off about 8 inches, 5 inches beyond the 75 flex mark? Will it be super stiff or will it not change much since it's low kickpoint? My Reebok cut to the 81 flex mark is about as stiff as I'd want to go. I could even go softer by about 5 points if need be but not more.

Second, if the flex would increase too much should I look at a 70 flex intermediate Diablo? Does anyone know if the shaft or blade dimensions are any smaller?

Third, as far as curves go, does anyone have any opinions on the Gionta vs Kovalchuk curves? I have liked how my P34 blade is very neutral and mellow but I want a bit of a deeper curve. Any opinions on if I should go with the Kovy and it's uniform curve or try out the Gionta with the toe curve?

Thanks in advance.
I had the 70 flex Diablo...it felt stiff for its raiting because it is very low kick. In theory the flex point shouldn't change much when you cut it down.

I would lean towards Kovalchuk because it would be more familiar to you.

Old
11-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Stickchecked

Now I'm definitely looking to try something new. I use an intermediate Bauer Vapor X4.0 which has been ok. But to be frank, I haven't tried many different sticks.

Today I went to Pro Hockey Life to look at their deals. The only markdown that jumped out was the Bauer Vapor 6.0 for $140. Felt a lot lighter than the 4.0 but I didn't have time to test it out.

The salesperson really wanted to get me to check out senior sticks. I guess they had more deals but I told him, I feel better with intermediate. (All my weight is in my legs.)

At hockey class today I found a guy with a CCM RBZ and asked him if we could swap for warmup so I could try it out. So nice, so light, really great feel for the puck. Of course, it's a 300 dollar stick.

And now my 4.0 feels like crap. Vomit.

Last edited by Stickchecked: 11-13-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:24 AM
JJDigitized

Thank you so much for this post/guide!

I didn't start playing hockey until I was 14 or so (much later than most where I live), and even today playing beer league hockey, I've never really felt like I understood how to properly select a stick (and didn't want to sound too stupid honestly to ask).

This post was exactly what I need - thank you!

JJDigitized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:57 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Now I'm definitely looking to try something new. I use an intermediate Bauer Vapor X4.0 which has been ok. But to be frank, I haven't tried many different sticks.

Today I went to Pro Hockey Life to look at their deals. The only markdown that jumped out was the Bauer Vapor 6.0 for $140. Felt a lot lighter than the 4.0 but I didn't have time to test it out.

The salesperson really wanted to get me to check out senior sticks. I guess they had more deals but I told him, I feel better with intermediate. (All my weight is in my legs.)

At hockey class today I found a guy with a CCM RBZ and asked him if we could swap for warmup so I could try it out. So nice, so light, really great feel for the puck. Of course, it's a 300 dollar stick.

And now my 4.0 feels like crap. Vomit.
Don't get sucked into it! It'll get expensive lol. The 4.0 is a good stick for $100, better value if it's on sale.

Check out deals from other places as well, you'd be surprised at what you could find. PHL typically never offer better deals than their competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJDigitized View Post
Thank you so much for this post/guide!

I didn't start playing hockey until I was 14 or so (much later than most where I live), and even today playing beer league hockey, I've never really felt like I understood how to properly select a stick (and didn't want to sound too stupid honestly to ask).

This post was exactly what I need - thank you!
Interesting, I wonder what proportion of your demographic feel the same way?

Old
11-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Stickchecked

I got my Vapor 4.0 on Boxing Day for $60 so it was a steal.

Right now I'm considering a clearance Bauer Vapor X7.0 for $150 in the States since my wife is going down for American Thanksgiving. Of course, that will push us right up against our customs allowance with everything else we've already bought from Amazon.

Going this afternoon to see what Source for Sports has as well.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
so i got my rbz 2 weeks ago, and have used it for only about 5 hours of ice time... a slapshot hit the top of my blade at practice last night and the stick exploded. never had a stick break so quick, shame because i did like the stick..

ive never dealt with warranties, does my case warranty a replacement? i explained the situation in the online form, and shipped the stick to cmm (40 dollars!!) with the receipt.. i paid 160 for it, so would they replace my stick with a 160 twig? ill be pissed if my broken rbz which originally retailed at 250 would be replaced by a new $160 stick

ConoR187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM
FlowNoMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
so i got my rbz 2 weeks ago, and have used it for only about 5 hours of ice time... a slapshot hit the top of my blade at practice last night and the stick exploded. never had a stick break so quick, shame because i did like the stick..

ive never dealt with warranties, does my case warranty a replacement? i explained the situation in the online form, and shipped the stick to cmm (40 dollars!!) with the receipt.. i paid 160 for it, so would they replace my stick with a 160 twig? ill be pissed if my broken rbz which originally retailed at 250 would be replaced by a new $160 stick
Pretty sure you'll get an RBZ back.

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:46 PM
AIREAYE

I would think that that's a warranty issue. They could send you whatever they want, but likely a Stage 2 if they have it. An 'equivalent' model. Heck if you're unlucky, they might send you an RBZ100.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:13 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
Pretty sure you'll get an RBZ back.
would they though? its been out of production since summer..

hope i get a stage 2 but not holding my breath

ConoR187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:27 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
Speaking of RBZ's. Anyone heard about the RBZ Maxx stick? Exclusive to total hockey I guess. Is it an RBZ with a new graphics? Or is it different technology as well.

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/R...3-41/?mtx_id=0

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 07:38 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah it's an SMU product for that group. You see of exclusive products with every retailer. It seems from their description that they put another paint job on an RBZ 80 while charging $40 more. not a good deal.