HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Curious about the MTL situation...

Old
11-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
This is the main problem.you don't win playing a perimeter game.....no one goes to the net except Gallagher.
exactly. how ****ing crazy is it that we ice DD - 5'7 (yeah right) Gionta 5'7 (sure) Gally 5'9 (no way) and very soon Briere 5'9 (nope) - every night! impossible to win puck battles and get net presence - outside Brendan

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 08:12 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
exactly. how ****ing crazy is it that we ice DD - 5'7 (yeah right) Gionta 5'7 (sure) Gally 5'9 (no way) and very soon Briere 5'9 (nope) - every night! impossible to win puck battles and get net presence - outside Brendan
I doubt that DD is 5'7, probably 5'4.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Habs100

If Bergevin really did sign Briere because he's french, hopefully he's learned his lesson.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
If Bergevin really did sign Briere because he's french, hopefully he's learned his lesson.
Be honest with me and the rest of the people on this board, what does Briere have that is needed on this team?

Seriously, how the **** is this guy going to help our team?

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Mon Amour View Post
Be honest with me and the rest of the people on this board, what does Briere have that is needed on this team?

Seriously, how the **** is this guy going to help our team?
By centering our 3rd line and giving us the joy of not seeing DD make a whole line absolutely useless.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
By centering our 3rd line and giving us the joy of not seeing DD make a whole line absolutely useless.
We don't need Briere as one of our center? We have Plekanec, Eller & Galchenyuk.

I really don't understand why we're still stuck with guys like Desharnais and Briere, it kills me a little bit more every day...

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:03 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 300
Last year, we had offense from our back end (looking at you Diaz), our 3 lines were scoring & the team was able to comeback from a deficit. This year... our PK seems better and Carey Price is solid (we know how that ended). The recipe isn't there.

edit: The main reason we don't have 3 scoring lines is because Ryder isn't here anymore (plek line) & MaxPac (dd line) is always injured. EGG line is ok, but inconsistent.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Nedved

habs are pretty banged up.

any team missing guys, and having a bunch who just came back from injury, will make it tough to win.

hopefully pacioretty will be back at it soon, he's really struggling. the habs looked really good to start the season, but injuries have slowed them down. 1 of briere, or dd, should be moved...they offer the same thing.

personally, I would keep dd. he's got to bounce back.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:14 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedisHab View Post
Ok, so if there's a thread like this please remove it (mods).

Since I live in Sweden I do not have time to watch a lot of games.

I just want to know where this team is failing? I've seen statistics, and it doesn't really tell me much. Is our defense the turd here or are we not producing enough? perhaps both?

I've seen the Subban ice time threads and DD playing bad threads as well, but I do not think those individuals and their ice time matters that much on the team as a whole, right?

But if someone could give me some better explanation I'd love to hear it. I'm sorry if this thread is repeating stuff that's been said/asked already, but as I said I haven't got to see that many games this season sadly so please bear with me

Thank you! Go Habs go!!
Good discussion thread.

My opinion? Habs are too old in too many key spots.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:13 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedisHab View Post
Ok, so if there's a thread like this please remove it (mods).

Since I live in Sweden I do not have time to watch a lot of games.

I just want to know where this team is failing? I've seen statistics, and it doesn't really tell me much. Is our defense the turd here or are we not producing enough? perhaps both?

I've seen the Subban ice time threads and DD playing bad threads as well, but I do not think those individuals and their ice time matters that much on the team as a whole, right?

But if someone could give me some better explanation I'd love to hear it. I'm sorry if this thread is repeating stuff that's been said/asked already, but as I said I haven't got to see that many games this season sadly so please bear with me

Thank you! Go Habs go!!
Hi SwedisHab

This team is in a transition that was started when Gauthier fired Jacques Martin. By firing Martin mid season and bringing a coach without NHL experience (Cunneyworth), PG made sure we would tank for year and start a rebuild. Fortunately, the bet paid off as we may have ended up with the best offensive player of 2012. Unfortunately for Gauthier, he was fired at the end of the exercice.

Going forward we have:
Price who is a very good goalie on the cusp of being a great goalie in the league. He had some problems last year but his game has improved and he does play a much tighter game this year. At this point he is clearly a top-10 in te league.

In defense, we have a top d-men who is still young and improving his defensive side in PK. We also have another d-men who would be top-2 (or top-1) in 25 teams in this league. We also have two d-men (Gorges and Diaz) who have been pretty great in PK (not Subban) this season (top-4 in the league).
  • At this point, Subban is a definitive top-10 in the league for the next 10 years. The only question is: can he be a top-3 for these years or will he even become the best d-men in the league. Habs management and PK are sparring no efforts to make this happen. He does have offensive skills that can be compared to the best in the league. He is also already better in defense that Green and Karlsson. If he can bring his defensive game to the level of the best d-men in the league, he could win multiple Norris.
  • Markov keeps being Markov: year after year, he remains a solid d-men most of the times and brings a PP QB ability that can barely be matched.
  • Problem is that besides Subban, none of these d-men are physical. Markov does make it difficult to get to Price but he does not have the punishing side to his game.
  • Emelin will provide us with a solution but he is coming back from an injury so we hired Murray who is more physical than Emelin but can not play to the same level.
This problem will probably be solved by the end of the season as we have three d-men who are getting ready in AHL: Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu.
In the mean time, this defense is in transition waiting for one of these guys to be ready so we hired Murray and Bouillon to help in this transition phase.
Basically, we just need one of Tinordi, Pateryn or Beaulieu to reach Bottom-4 NHL level to have a good (not great) defense.
If two of these guys are in our bottom-4 by the end of the season, we will have a pretty good defense.

On the offense, we have good veterans in Plekanec and Gionta who are delivering game after game. Those two are top-6 now and will be top-9 till the end of their career.
We also have five young players who are clearly top-9:
  • Galchenyuk is going to be a top-30 for the next 10 years, he has the attitude, the skills but is still very young (19 years old); A definitive top-3 in any team in the league; He looks like
  • Pacioretty is becoming a real power forward; He does have a great shot and drives to the net consistently; He was our best scorer for the last two years; Another player who would be on the top-3 in most of the teams in the league; I expect him to have more than .8 ppg for his career; Fortunately, he is with us for the next six years.
  • Gallagher is small and feisty player who despite his small size goes to the net and does deliver game after game; He may not be very big but he plays harder than most; Definitive top-6 in any team in the league;
  • Eller is a center with great hands but still building up; He is slowly but consistently developing into a top-6 center with size and good hands; In the last two years, he gained size and and has been more physical in his game; He does have a great defensive game and has been used on PK for the last three years; His floor is a .5 ppg two way center and his ceiling still has to be determined;
  • Bournival is the newcomer that nobody expected, He skates like the wind and has ethics beyond reproach; He is the sparkle player that the coaches uses to bring energy to lines that are having problems; At this point is is 6th among our forwards in scoring and I do not expect him to go below top-9.
On the bottom part of our top-9, we have Bourque and Desharnais.
Bourque did increase his pace in the last three games and Desharnais has not been able to score in the last 16 games (one point).

To resume:
  • In the goal, we are pretty good;
  • In defense, we are a good team but we need two of our players in the AHL to step up to the plate to become a great defense;
  • In Offense, we are getting there: By the end of the season, we should have all the players needed to roll three offensive lines that can produce.

Are we a Cup contender: no but we are very near.
  • Two more d-men with size who are clearly better than Bouillon and Murray. This will happen before the end of April...
  • Two more forwards who can challenge White/Moen/Parros.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:43 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Good discussion thread.

My opinion? Habs are too old in too many key spots.
Interesting question. It goes down like this:
Bouillon, Briere, Markov, Gionta, Parros, Murray, Bourque, Moen, Plekanec, St-Pierre.
Everybody else is younger than 30 years old...

Seems to me that Bouillon, Gionta, Parros, Murray and St-Pierre are part of a support team or are ready to go.
  • Brière has been brought in for his ability to perform in PO. He does have a clutch to his game and our young players will learn from him.
  • Markov is the QB and will stay with us. Who do you see to replace him among Free Agents?
  • Bourque is no longer a 30 goals scorer but we can expect him to get more than 15 goals.
  • Moen is pretty good in PK and can play on a third or second line anytime;
  • Plekanec is going to be in the league for many years. His ethics are beyond reproach and I expect him to be in the league till he is 38-40!

Besides Plekanec and Markov, I do not see anyone significant...

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Kwikwi

We added size with no talent and our talent is without size.

Our early season best line is match by their best def and our coach forgot the no excuse mentality.

Kwikwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 03:59 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikwi View Post
We added size with no talent and our talent is without size.
If there was ever a sticker to pass around that represents this club, that would be it. Bravo.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Spearmint Rhino

Personally I think it's the same problem we've had for quite a while and that's no #1 line cause we try to spread it out over the top 9 to balance out size and weaknesses and we often end up with a weaker player on every line that creates weak links in the chain

Last 3 cup winners had 1A & 1B, 3rd & 4th lines

Lately we have 2A, 2B, 4th & 5th (toss up to which one DD is centring)

Move Pacs to Pleks wing and trade for a legitimate RW sniper, no more bandaids please
Gally Eller Gally - With a true #1 line they should draw a little easier checking squad
Bourque Bournival Gionta (Leblanc in 2014)
Moen White Prust

Adios DD/Briere and FFS no more Boullion on the PP, play Subban for the whole 2 mins if you're not playing him on the PK or late in games

I'm done venting now

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote