HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2013, 09:21 AM
  #276
bOILing point
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
the main problem in my mind is Tambo. We wasted alot of years with Tambos rebuild and are now expecting to make big strides... but HE DID NOTHING> This is what blows my mind. How can people be surprised? WE HAVE NOTHING... !!!!!!!NOTHING >>!!!!!!!!. to show from 3 ENTIRE FN YEARS except developing DRAFT PICKS!!!!! How are you actually surprised thyat we need so many changes? Was the AHL talent competition show of training camp not enough of a hint? MY god man. I can understand people are losing patience but unfortunately that laast 3 years accomplished nothing except for our top picks. THAT IS THE TESTIMENT TO HOW BAD TAMBO WAS. We never got the veterans this team needed to move forward with, during his tenure. That is why we are behind comparisons of Chicago. Guys like Gordon, a specific need, and Ference, a specific need... and Perron, a specific need were all gained this year and still we have huge lackings and holes which need to be remedied to get the best out of those 3. I would say that 2 of those 3 guys have been our top two players this season, despite new surroundings and all the adjustments they have had to make and this incredibly young and learning team. Gordon has been my MVP so far this year and has done it all.
tambo did what lowe told him too. how can this be his fault really.

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:25 AM
  #277
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOILing point View Post
tambo did what lowe told him too. how can this be his fault really.
I like your logic ....

And Lowe did what Katz told him to do. So how can this be his fault really?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:29 AM
  #278
bOILing point
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I like your logic ....

And Lowe did what Katz told him to do. So how can this be his fault really?
no, katz lets lowe do whatever he likes with no consequences

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:31 AM
  #279
Xelebes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,613
vCash: 500
I bleed copper and blue, but am also enjoying the fan meltdowns after each loss. How do I vote?

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:32 AM
  #280
bOILing point
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
in any other type of business or any other hockey club lowe would have canned just on his unprofessionalism alone. The burke fiasco and the winning tantrum was immature behaviour at a elementary school.

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 09:49 AM
  #281
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOILing point View Post
in any other type of business or any other hockey club lowe would have canned just on his unprofessionalism alone. The burke fiasco and the winning tantrum was immature behaviour at a elementary school.
Precisely and this man has burned so many bridges with players over the years as well. Anybody defending him and his record clearly can't see the forest for the trees. He is involved and clearly this organization needs an enema starting with him. His buddy Katz doesn't care for now how the fans think which is his right however at the end of the day when the money isn't flowing so much Lowe will be canned whether or not they are friends. I seriously doubt a "businessman" such as Katz will continue to allow his reputation to be dragged through the mud. Don't kid yourself if you don't think Edmontonians will continue to fill his wallet with money, the breaking point is coming. The question is, does Katz value money more or his friends?

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 10:01 AM
  #282
bOILing point
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
in any other type of business or any other hockey club lowe would have canned just on his unprofessionalism alone. The burke fiasco and the winning tantrum was immature behaviour at a elementary school.

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 01:26 PM
  #283
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
The point where any reasonable org would've fired Lowe is when he requested that Comrie buy his way out of a contract and felled what would've been a great deal and simultaneously poisoned free agent waters for years.

How more clear could it get after that this was the evil kingdom of stupid?

Lowe offended lawyers, agents, NHLPA, labor interests, teams, common sense, all in one swoop.

It was brilliant efficacy in losing credibility. The only thing missing was the trapdoor. Which somehow never fell. That the village idiot was in command should've been palpable.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 02:26 PM
  #284
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The point where any reasonable org would've fired Lowe is when he requested that Comrie buy his way out of a contract and felled what would've been a great deal and simultaneously poisoned free agent waters for years.

How more clear could it get after that this was the evil kingdom of stupid?

Lowe offended lawyers, agents, NHLPA, labor interests, teams, common sense, all in one swoop.

It was brilliant efficacy in losing credibility. The only thing missing was the trapdoor. Which somehow never fell. That the village idiot was in command should've been palpable.
I remember 4 or 5 years ago, they asked George Laraque if it's true that free agents don't want to sign in Edmonton because of the weather, the city etc. He chuckled and basically hinted that most of it had to do with people running the organization.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:17 PM
  #285
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOILing point View Post
no, katz lets lowe do whatever he likes with no consequences
Vehemently disagree with that, but anyway.
There haven't been no consequences ... team lost you as a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I remember 4 or 5 years ago, they asked George Laraque if it's true that free agents don't want to sign in Edmonton because of the weather, the city etc. He chuckled and basically hinted that most of it had to do with people running the organization.
Big George ... pillar of integrity that he is. No axe to grind against the organization whatsoever. Nope.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
  #286
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Vehemently disagree with that, but anyway.
There haven't been no consequences ... team lost you as a fan

Big George ... pillar of integrity that he is. No axe to grind against the organization whatsoever. Nope.
George might have an axe to grind, but that does not cancel out the fact that this management team has been very inept, and that's putting it mildly. Why do you think they have been hiring rookie GMs and coaches? The answer should be pretty obvious by now. No established GM or coach with a track record want to have anything to do with this franchise.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:05 PM
  #287
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
7 year rebuild.

Hiring MacTavish as GM who I actually had faith in to move this team forward. Only to see this team absolutely flounder into a laughingstock. The Smid trade is the final straw. On a soft, abysmal defensive team trading an NHL proven, still young defender who actually plays a greasy game to this team's arch rival for magic beans will haunt this team. It is a move away from competitiveness and the urgency to win now that should be driving this embarrassment.

It is hiring an unproven NHL coach who appears to be master of the sound bite but has regressed the two areas where this undersized, soft team actually excelled in - power play and penalty kill. I had Hope for Eakin and he may develop into a decent NHL coach however right now this guy is a deer caught in the headlights with a team that has not responded to his cool aide. But the team can now bask in their own glory with a lockerroom of pep talk posters instead of the Oiler pride that skilled, willed and gritted their way to winning.

This group of players have believed their press clippings and continue to demonstrate poor decision making and stubbornness (or inability) to change their approach required to win in this league. Zero compete level. Too small, not willing to go into the hard areas required to win, and injury prone. This is a bad mix that must be changed.

I've moved into apathy and here in Cowtown I'm forced to watch a team that has been gutted scrap and compete in every game, quietly build some quality prospect pipeline, and have the common sense to acquire good, young veteran NHL character pieces like Laddy Smid for pennies on the dollar.

All that promiseleaking away. The Oilers have become a joke.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:30 PM
  #288
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
How about the obvious? How about you see that MacT had properly assessed our goaltending issue on his first day and went about trying to acquire a goalie all summer and all season so far AT A FAIR PRICE. MacT right now is the new kid... symbolically he is the GM being kept outside the huddle of the old boys club. This isnt unlike any other job... MacT is earning his stripes. Unlike his predecessor, MacT is actually working to find solutions and SPECIFIC solutions he has decided to target. There is a reason Bryz is a one year contract and MacT was willing to lose Bryz by not going longer on term.

I think people are shocked y just how weak this organization was when MacT took over, and still arent realizing there are very few players outside the big 5...6 now with Nurse, that have VERY LITTLE value to the market.
This isnt EANHL. You cant make other teams take your crap, your crap isnt ranked higher than it should be for the sake of selling games to those teams fans. Potter isnt getting you Simmonds. Smid isnt getting you a 1st rounder and god bless the GM who knows a coupld of prospects you know and have developed already a few years and played a pro level to be critiqued is much better than a draft pick to choose junior player that happes to be available.

I dont have a clue what you are talking about but I stopped reading after you said MacT was being kept outside of the Old Boys Club... Nuff said

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
  #289
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
the main problem in my mind is Tambo. We wasted alot of years with Tambos rebuild and are now expecting to make big strides... but HE DID NOTHING> This is what blows my mind. How can people be surprised? WE HAVE NOTHING... !!!!!!!NOTHING >>!!!!!!!!. to show from 3 ENTIRE FN YEARS except developing DRAFT PICKS!!!!! How are you actually surprised thyat we need so many changes? Was the AHL talent competition show of training camp not enough of a hint? MY god man. I can understand people are losing patience but unfortunately that laast 3 years accomplished nothing except for our top picks. THAT IS THE TESTIMENT TO HOW BAD TAMBO WAS. We never got the veterans this team needed to move forward with, during his tenure. That is why we are behind comparisons of Chicago. Guys like Gordon, a specific need, and Ference, a specific need... and Perron, a specific need were all gained this year and still we have huge lackings and holes which need to be remedied to get the best out of those 3. I would say that 2 of those 3 guys have been our top two players this season, despite new surroundings and all the adjustments they have had to make and this incredibly young and learning team. Gordon has been my MVP so far this year and has done it all.
Kevin, is this you? Kevin?
All the blame is on Tambo instead of the Oiler Old Boys club. I think this account is likely KLowe, MacT, Semenko, Bucky and Smith huddled over a computer at Oilers HQ.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:07 AM
  #290
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
7 year rebuild.

Hiring MacTavish as GM who I actually had faith in to move this team forward. Only to see this team absolutely flounder into a laughingstock. The Smid trade is the final straw. On a soft, abysmal defensive team trading an NHL proven, still young defender who actually plays a greasy game to this team's arch rival for magic beans will haunt this team. It is a move away from competitiveness and the urgency to win now that should be driving this embarrassment.

It is hiring an unproven NHL coach who appears to be master of the sound bite but has regressed the two areas where this undersized, soft team actually excelled in - power play and penalty kill. I had Hope for Eakin and he may develop into a decent NHL coach however right now this guy is a deer caught in the headlights with a team that has not responded to his cool aide. But the team can now bask in their own glory with a lockerroom of pep talk posters instead of the Oiler pride that skilled, willed and gritted their way to winning.

This group of players have believed their press clippings and continue to demonstrate poor decision making and stubbornness (or inability) to change their approach required to win in this league. Zero compete level. Too small, not willing to go into the hard areas required to win, and injury prone. This is a bad mix that must be changed.

I've moved into apathy and here in Cowtown I'm forced to watch a team that has been gutted scrap and compete in every game, quietly build some quality prospect pipeline, and have the common sense to acquire good, young veteran NHL character pieces like Laddy Smid for pennies on the dollar.

All that promiseleaking away. The Oilers have become a joke.
My sentiments exactly, even down to living in Calgary and admiring how they've acted.

I'm pretty damn close to my breaking point. I need something good to happen soon... what's the good in following blindly and wishing for something positive to happen anymore? What reason would I have to think that something good might happen even? I'm pretty much all out of hope.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:44 AM
  #291
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,633
vCash: 50
It's getting harder and harder to watch the games or be a fan of this organization.


Gret99zky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:30 AM
  #292
bombers15
Registered User
 
bombers15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,952
vCash: 500
I'm not sure they could ever be bad enough for me to demote the Oilers as my favourite team.

When they're this bad, I just pay attention less. I stop caring. I don't watch the games. I don't even watch the highlights unless they win. And if I'm feeling the hockey itch, I start looking more closely at my second and third favourite teams.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:56 AM
  #293
FlyOil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Well I like two teams, so I'll never break on the Oilers.

Win or lose I love watching them play, and as long as they don't get rid of Eberle I'll remain content.

FlyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  #294
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,987
vCash: 500
If the Oilers mishandle this Yakupov issue, I think that's a pretty clear breaking point for me. I'll probably be gone until Lowe/MacT/etc are removed.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:16 PM
  #295
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
If the Oilers mishandle this Yakupov issue, I think that's a pretty clear breaking point for me. I'll probably be gone until Lowe/MacT/etc are removed.
I'll second that. If they go trade Yak for Braydon Coburn and a draft pick, I think I'm out.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:18 PM
  #296
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Randy BoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Another 1st overall should be fun

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:06 PM
  #297
AssistantCaptain*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
I can't handle this emotional roller coaster. If yakupov is gone he will be taking my copper coated heart with him

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:30 PM
  #298
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
I don't care if we lose Yak, i have been an Oilers fan since the early days. I stayed on through the Gretzky sale, and Yak will never be like the loss of Gretz to the team.

I want the team to straighten up and resolve things, so I can take interest in following the team again, and actually watching more games, but I still love my Oilers and will in my heart as long as the team isn't moved.

I just can't understand people giving up on the team over the loss of any of our current players. Be mad or whatever but a true fan doesn't desert the team over that

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:17 PM
  #299
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I don't care if we lose Yak, i have been an Oilers fan since the early days. I stayed on through the Gretzky sale, and Yak will never be like the loss of Gretz to the team.

I want the team to straighten up and resolve things, so I can take interest in following the team again, and actually watching more games, but I still love my Oilers and will in my heart as long as the team isn't moved.

I just can't understand people giving up on the team over the loss of any of our current players. Be mad or whatever but a true fan doesn't desert the team over that
We are now on par with Leafs fans during the late Ballard era and 'Hawks fans during the Wirtz Sr./Pulford era.

It's not about not being a 'true fan,' it's refusing to be a masochist an continue to allow yourself as a fan to be shart all over by the current management group.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:34 PM
  #300
McArthur
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hockey Heart Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
It hurts to say that it I will probably always be an Oiler fan. Until they get moved... Then i'd probably give up on hockey all together.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.