HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

anybody miss Mike Richards yet?

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2013, 08:45 AM
04' hockey

vCash: 500
anybody miss Mike Richards yet?

http://kings.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
nah, Homer shouldn't be fired

Old
11-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Deja Lu
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 504
Probably his first good start to a season with the Kings.

Old
11-10-2013, 08:52 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Every passing day. But that past can't be undone.

Old
11-10-2013, 08:53 AM
mantis toboggan

I'm pretty sure every flyers fan misses him. But I like the return we got for him so it doesn't bother me

Old
11-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Psuhockey

Nope. Richards is an elite 3rd line center the Flyers were playing as a one or two. But Holmgren does deserve to be fired.

Old
11-10-2013, 08:58 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Why don't you show the stats from last two years when Wayne Simmonds had more points than him (then add in Brayden Schenn) and ask again?

Old
11-10-2013, 09:10 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I still maintain that I don't like the Richards trade. The Carter one I loved... but Richards was a fantastic player and captain.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:13 AM
xifentoozlerix

Who?

Old
11-10-2013, 09:14 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Nope. Richards is an elite 3rd line center the Flyers were playing as a one or two. But Holmgren does deserve to be fired.
What the hell are you talking about? Richards has been LA's 2nd line centre since he got there. 3rd line, my ass.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:20 AM
GiggityGiggityGoo

vCash: 516
While we're at it let's look down the list at Dan Carcillo and miss him too. Just as many goals as Giroux and in less games.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Psuhockey

The problem was not trading Mike Richards IMO, the problem was the return. The Flyers had a huge hole on their team and in the system of a PMD, especially a right handed one. If the flyers got Voynov instead on Simmonds or Schenn, this team will be a whole lot different, There wouldn't have been the Luke Schenn deal. Or if you get B. Schenn and Simmonds, don't take Couturier at 8. How much better would this team be with Hamilton or Brodin? Holmgren and the managements obsession with centers, though not as bad as the Clarke years, has hurt the franchise.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
The problem was not trading Mike Richards IMO, the problem was the return. The Flyers had a huge hole on their team and in the system of a PMD, especially a right handed one. If the flyers got Voynov instead on Simmonds or Schenn, this team will be a whole lot different, There wouldn't have been the Luke Schenn deal. Or if you get B. Schenn and Simmonds, don't take Couturier at 8. How much better would this team be with Hamilton or Brodin? Holmgren and the managements obsession with centers, though not as bad as the Clarke years, has hurt the franchise.
But you also have to remember at the time of the trade, Schenn was pretty well considered "the best player not in the NHL" and Voynov wasn't all that highly regarded (he was a top prospect, but IIRC not on the same level as Brayden Schenn). Schenn has yet to live up to that, but at the time he was two years removed from being the #5 pick in the draft and was absolutely dominating the WHL. I know folks don't think he'll ever live up to that hype, but when the trade was made all the hype and potential for him were there.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Richards last year was a shell of his former self. He looked physically over-matched in every game. His shifts were very short and he was clearly out of shape all year.

This year from the get go he looks much better, and looks like he dedicated himself this offseason. However he is not the same player. He rarely hits people anymore , he does not pk as much, and he is reluctant to drop the gloves. While i am a still fan of his and love his game he is not the player he once was, and hasnt been that guy for a long time.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Cekmate

We have Scott Laughton, who I believe will be close to a Mike Richards type build for the team

Old
11-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But you also have to remember at the time of the trade, Schenn was pretty well considered "the best player not in the NHL" and Voynov wasn't all that highly regarded (he was a top prospect, but IIRC not on the same level as Brayden Schenn). Schenn has yet to live up to that, but at the time he was two years removed from being the #5 pick in the draft and was absolutely dominating the WHL. I know folks don't think he'll ever live up to that hype, but when the trade was made all the hype and potential for him were there.
Your right, but if you are going to get Schenn don't draft Couturier. The Flyers went best player in the Kings deal and at #8 but they were both centers. They didn't need two centers. They needed at most one. They did have a glaring need, even til this day, for a top 4 PMD. At the time of the trades, Coburn and Carle were both coming up for UFA the following summer and Pronger and Timonen were in their late 30's. There was nothing but max 3rd pair level prospects in the system. That misstep has killed this team and now they will be racing to catch up more than likely creating big more holes in the forward position to try and fix the problem.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Your right, but if you are going to get Schenn don't draft Couturier. The Flyers went best player in the Kings deal and at #8 but they were both centers. They didn't need two centers. They needed at most one. They did have a glaring need, even til this day, for a top 4 PMD. At the time of the trades, Coburn and Carle were both coming up for UFA the following summer and Pronger and Timonen were in their late 30's. There was nothing but max 3rd pair level prospects in the system. That misstep has killed this team and now they will be racing to catch up more than likely creating big more holes in the forward position to try and fix the problem.
That's true. I was all for drafting Hamilton. No complaints about Couturier from me though. Would have preferred Hamilton, but I like Couturier.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:11 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Richards last year was a shell of his former self. He looked physically over-matched in every game. His shifts were very short and he was clearly out of shape all year.

This year from the get go he looks much better, and looks like he dedicated himself this offseason. However he is not the same player. He rarely hits people anymore , he does not pk as much, and he is reluctant to drop the gloves. While i am a still fan of his and love his game he is not the player he once was, and hasnt been that guy for a long time.
He doesn't have to hit or drop the gloves on the Kings. He just has to qb the pp, play the pk, score goals, create plays and lead by example. He had a pretty good season last season and he's currently at a ppg this season. Best and most consistent King by far at this point.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

IMO this might never really be really answered with any certainty... until or unless we learn in full the details of what was below the surface -- okay... to be totally fair... if there were indeed any hidden factors -- I believe, and I am not alone I'm sure, that there were things that those outside the inner circle of Flyers management were not aware of... I cannot list what I don't know, and can only mention the attitude that I observed with his spat with the Media and how he chose to handle it. My guess is that the Organization may not have liked the immature manner that was the norm with their Captain and the 'face' of their team... but I personally don't believe that that was near being the entire problem -- I do believe that they should have not named him Captain when they did -- My guess is that there was something beyond that and that one piece of the puzzle probably was the Dry Island crap, and another may have been the bond with Carter... who I also believe had underlying issues that we are not privy to.

Basically I believe that the Organization was not happy with the inner team 'culture' and when they found that they could get the return they could by trading them, they decided to tweak the team in a manner that changed the 'culture' -- and not the culture that they badgered Snider about the other week -- they decided to center the team around Giroux and move away from Richards-Carter... they pulled the trigger.

I guess I'm saying that looking at the numbers and even the visual results can never explain the intangibles that we were never privy to... I expect to take much flack on this... but this is what I honestly feel; right or wrong.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
http://kings.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
nah, Homer shouldn't be fired
Nope I miss Jeff more. But I said it then and I will say it again today. I drive them both to the airport for free. To get those six players for those two bodes well for the future and I liked both Mike and Jeff. Understand

Old
11-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 136
wasn't here when he was with the Flyers so No, i can't miss someone who wasn't part of my life.
but i would love to see him play live with a Flyers jersey.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:34 AM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Exactly (plus the second rounder that was acquired). People seem to have a hard time looking at the trade as a whole. Flyers gave up the best player in the deal, but they got more back.

CharlieGirl I asked this question to Beef the other day but I'll ask you too: If the Kings offered you Richards today in exchange for Schenn, Simmonds, and a second would you do it? What about if you were GM when the trade was made, would you trade Richards for Simmonds, Schenn, and a second?
If CharlieGirl won't answer, I will. No to both your questions.

And to answer the others, Richards does PK as one of the Kings' 3 PK units, usually with Carter but last night with King and no he doesn't fight as much as he used to but why should he? He will however, try to stir things up with a fight when things are not going well and he thinks the team needs a lift. And lastly, maybe he doesn't throw his body around like he used to but again why should he? As a Flyer, he just about killed Booth and caused the league to start looking at head shots as a major issue. Maybe, just maybe, he's matured into the kind of player 29 other teams want at their fore-front (excluding the Flyers but adding the Canadian Olympic team)- a hard-working, two-way player who'll put up points and is a terrific play-maker. And, to boot, check his face-off percentage which is currently at 57%. And for those who keep talking points as the deciding factor in this trade (Schenn + Simmonds > Richards) ask what you've done for me recently and in 2013 so far, Schenn + Simmonds = 13; Richards = 16. Even so, it takes more than looking at points to evaluate any trade. The success of the Kings and the failure of the Flyers since the Richards trade is the last peg in the block as far as I'm concerned.

Even so, Richards did get traded; Pronger and his loud mouth had taken over the locker room and had become the de-facto captain of the team, Richards likely didn't get along with Laviolette and his weird ideas (remember Dry Isle), Richards was getting a bad rep with the local media (he may have criticized the media publicly at some point) who turned on him, rumours abounded about his apparent party life and lastly, the Flyers likely felt they couldn't trade his pal Jeff Carter and keep Richards; for all these reasons he was traded. I'm still not at all sure the Flyers needed Richards cap space with Carter's in order to get Bryzgalov who apparently is now off to snowy, cold Edmonton (and isn't that some sort of poetic justice given his past aversion to both Edmonton and Winnipeg) but that may have been the last straw.

So we can't get him back; the Flyers created this current mess and I don't see any out for a few years at least (unless they pull some other bone-headed play which wouldn't be beyond them), in which case it'll be longer.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
What is the value of this thread?

Yes, I miss Mike Richards. No, I am not dissatisfied with the trade. Mike Richards is signed to age eighty five at 5.75 million dollars a year. He's not what he was when he went all alpha male on the league in 2010, that's just the way it is.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:51 AM
zarley zelepukin

Anybody who thinks Richards isn't that important to the Kings should maybe head over to their board and see what their fans think about him. They've had a couple threads up in the last couple days talking about him.

Spoiler: the majority love him and can't imagine why the Flyers ever traded him.

And no, I don't see how Schenn + Simmonds > Richards. Not even close. The only reason I might hesitate to trade back the same package LA gave us for Richards is because this team is a dumpster fire that needs a lot of work. I have no doubt that Richards would make us better, but that doesn't mean it would be the right move at this time. If we were a bubble playoff team or something, I'd do it without hesitation.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

This all depends (for me) on how B Schenn develops. I'm not seeing anything special out of him, which is a bit concerning. I understand his age and all, but I NEED to see more.

Old
11-10-2013, 11:01 AM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
What is the value of this thread?

Yes, I miss Mike Richards. No, I am not dissatisfied with the trade. Mike Richards is signed to age eighty five at 5.75 million dollars a year. He's not what he was when he went all alpha male on the league in 2010, that's just the way it is.
Well frankly, I'd rather have MR until 2020 (and age 35) at 5.75 than Hartnell until 2019at 4.75 (and age 37) and Pronger until 2017 at 4.9 (and age 85 ). And that's one of the Flyers' problems.

Closed Thread