HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

vCash: 500
Fifth game ever tonight. 5th win, 3rd goal. I just love it!!

Old
11-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Day 1 of training camp for my horrendous hands. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Quit early, tomorrow's another day.

Old
11-06-2013, 09:52 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Day 1 of training camp for my horrendous hands. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Quit early, tomorrow's another day.
Maybe pickup one of these

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/smart-hockey-ball.html

I'm a lifetime hockey player so I had decent hands before I got one but I love this ball.. I stick handle it or bounce it off my stick in the basement a few minutes a day.. Could notice an improvement after the first week.. I put a few pucks down as obstacles and do my best Patrick Kane impression

Old
11-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor11 View Post

I'm a lifetime hockey player so I had decent hands before I got one but I love this ball.. I stick handle it or bounce it off my stick in the basement a few minutes a day.. Could notice an improvement after the first week.. I put a few pucks down as obstacles and do my best Patrick Kane impression
Yeah, I got one of those last week. Lots of fun, and I can see it helping me improve my stickhandling quite a bit. Just gotta practice.

Old
11-08-2013, 12:15 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Got killed 6-0 in a playoff game by a A league team in the B league sounds fun...

Old
11-09-2013, 07:51 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Not today but yesterday had my 2nd game of the season with my high school hockey team (and 2nd game ever on ice). Had no shots on goal, but I tipped a shot that redirected to the post (was going wide), had 1 block and was a +1. I'm in the right spots at the right times, I'm going to the net, so hopefully the puck will come to me one of these times for an easy goal.

Old
11-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Random question, but anyone know the sizing for the Bauer warm up pants? I usually wear 36-38" pants depending on the fit. L or XL?

Old
11-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Random question, but anyone know the sizing for the Bauer warm up pants? I usually wear 36-38" pants depending on the fit. L or XL?
Today I....

Asked a random question.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Devil Dancer

Last night I took an elbow to the head from some ******* who flew into a scrum on the boards. He got ejected and I promptly scored an awesome shorthanded goal. This seems to be a pattern for me; get hit/get mad, suddenly play much better.

I keep telling my teammates to hit me in the first period.

Old
11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Thursday night I played a game 8 days after getting a concussion.

Played terribly, had a -3 rating, cried on the bench after my goalie was yelling at me for playing badly (I'm a defenseman) and left midway through the third period.

Don't play with recent concussions. It's not worth it.

11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Yesterday, played first game as goalie... Only allowed one goal, we won
The one that went in... committed and went down too early and it was weird, knew exactly where the shot was going and how it was going to get past me but couldn't do anything to react in time to prevent it.

Other than that though, I definitely was playing very active outside of my net, very much being a third defenseman -- probably wouldn't get away with it at a higher level of rec play, but in this league I skate better in full goalie gear than a lot of the others out there...

Definitely think I'm going to be a more 'standup' style than trying anything butterfly like, feel like I offer up 85% of the net if I go down - would rather react to the shots than try to hope I'm in the right spot to block them (and it doesn't help that I'm only about 5'7...).

Old
11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Thursday night I played a game 8 days after getting a concussion.

Played terribly, had a -3 rating, cried on the bench after my goalie was yelling at me for playing badly (I'm a defenseman) and left midway through the third period.

Don't play with recent concussions. It's not worth it.
Don't play with a goalie who will yell at you for poor play. Talk about glass houses.

Old
11-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Devil Dancer

Sorry, wrong thread.

Old
11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Today I played my first game in three years, in a 7-1 loss lol. Absolutely zero backchecking from our forwards. I set up some plays offensively but we just couldn't bury it. I had some nice stick checks, blocked four shots, and only finished with a -2, so I had an okay game for a blowout like that. Hopefully next week goes better.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Today I played my first game in three years, in a 7-1 loss lol. Absolutely zero backchecking from our forwards. I set up some plays offensively but we just couldn't bury it. I had some nice stick checks, blocked four shots, and only finished with a -2, so I had an okay game for a blowout like that. Hopefully next week goes better.
Sounds like you were pretty active!

Got the W, 3-2 in OT this weekend. Was on the ice for both goals but assisted on our 1st. Got to play forward in the 3rd, so that was fun.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Ozz

...have to wait until 11pm to play tonight. Argh!

One of the opposing skaters is playing net against me tomorrow night in my top division game. We're the 2 best teams and everyone has been waiting for and talking about the 2nd meeting since our last game (edged 'em 2-1 in a shootout). Our goalie is better, their skaters are faster overall, but ultimately we're very even up and down the lineup. Anything can happen and whichever way it goes it's hard to feel bad because these are always the best games we have.

The smack talk has been going on for a few weeks but the goalie and I will have some words tonight I'm sure Most of us between the two teams are friends and frequent teammates anyway, so it's all in good fun. When there's actual animosity and dislike between teams, we never talk to each other unless chirping in a game.

Old
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lost our second game this weekend, 5-2. Had an assist when their defenseman turned the puck over, I snagged it and pulled backhand to forehand to beat the goalie but he made the save, teammate knocked the rebound in. Still ended up -1 or -2, can't recall. Only had 2-3 shots on goal I think. I played pretty badly.

Also had a nasty collision in the game. One of our forwards was racing one of their defensemen for the puck. D-man cuts in front and starts to go down a few feet from the boards, our guy doesn't let up, D-man ends up going head-first to the boards. Was down for several minutes and from what I can tell got a bad concussion. Our guy got tossed and will serve a mandatory suspension. Not thrilled with the call but you have to be careful.

My takeaway is to never go to the board straight on but always at an angle. I'm not getting paid to play and won't take the risk.

Old
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM
AntsSheffield

At last week's training session we were doing 2vs2 and I went into the corner to get a puck out and got hit while standing off the boards.Went down and twisted as I went and the coach called the guy for using "too much stick". Against my better judgement I went and flattened the guy 30s seconds later as he was receiving the puck. I'm probably gonna have a word with the coaches as the guy in question is always boasting about hitting people but hardly knows how to play the game.

Old
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
...have to wait until 11pm to play tonight. Argh!

One of the opposing skaters is playing net against me tomorrow night in my top division game. We're the 2 best teams and everyone has been waiting for and talking about the 2nd meeting since our last game (edged 'em 2-1 in a shootout). Our goalie is better, their skaters are faster overall, but ultimately we're very even up and down the lineup. Anything can happen and whichever way it goes it's hard to feel bad because these are always the best games we have.

The smack talk has been going on for a few weeks but the goalie and I will have some words tonight I'm sure Most of us between the two teams are friends and frequent teammates anyway, so it's all in good fun. When there's actual animosity and dislike between teams, we never talk to each other unless chirping in a game.
Last night, "that guy" and his team got us. But tonight in the top division, my 'real' team took his out 7-6 in a shootout. Play was a bit sloppy for both teams' standards and it just stayed that way. I opened scoring for us on a breakaway after beating the lone D-man on the RW, sending the puck through him to center and picking it up on a one-touch backhand snap. Went top shelf/far corner. Later got a 2nd one on a breakaway I poked past another defenseman, again on the RW side. Went in forehand, faked backhand and shot on the forehand. Goalie totally bought it and went completely the other way

Old
11-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Frankie Spankie

Got smoked 12-4 today and somebody from the other team skated up to the ref after the game to complain about offsides he was missing. That's the kind of people that play hockey, an 8 goal lead isn't good enough, they need offsides in their favor too...

Old
11-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor11 View Post

Unfortunately, when I do that, it end up more Brandon Bollig than Patrick Kane.

For those of you unfamiliar with my reference, I'll just leave this here:

Old
11-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Not today but yesterday had my 2nd game of the season with my high school hockey team (and 2nd game ever on ice). Had no shots on goal, but I tipped a shot that redirected to the post (was going wide), had 1 block and was a +1. I'm in the right spots at the right times, I'm going to the net, so hopefully the puck will come to me one of these times for an easy goal.
Keep working hard, and focus on being/getting to the right spots, and the goals will come. I'll tell you though, the tough goals are more satisfying than the easy ones. Work hard, and you get both kinds.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Yesterday, played first game as goalie... Only allowed one goal, we won
The one that went in... committed and went down too early and it was weird, knew exactly where the shot was going and how it was going to get past me but couldn't do anything to react in time to prevent it.

Other than that though, I definitely was playing very active outside of my net, very much being a third defenseman -- probably wouldn't get away with it at a higher level of rec play, but in this league I skate better in full goalie gear than a lot of the others out there...

Definitely think I'm going to be a more 'standup' style than trying anything butterfly like, feel like I offer up 85% of the net if I go down - would rather react to the shots than try to hope I'm in the right spot to block them (and it doesn't help that I'm only about 5'7...).
I've played a few times for my pickup group, and it's a total blast. This week was only my 4th time ever in net, but I feel like I'm improving each time. After sitting and watching years upon years of my son's goalie skills, I know what I want to do, but getting my body to do it is another thing, especially getting down on low (hell ANY) shots.

I'm using his equipment, and it fits me well enough for the occasional skate. I'm having enough fun that I may consider doing it on a much more regular basis. That would precipitate getting my own stuff, which I'm sure would make my basement even more full, more smelly, and my wife less happy.

Let us know how it goes, if you keep playing.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:45 PM
SacredPetra

I play my first game with my women's team tonight! It's game 1 of 3 we have this weekend, so it's going to be a tiring weekend, but I'm excited. I'm hoping to get a stick and puck session in on Sunday too after our last game so I can get some drills in, I've got to get good enough for them to play me on defense. They have me playing RW right now, and I hate playing forward.

Old
11-16-2013, 06:37 AM
American in Paris

Scored a dirty garbage goal and assisted on 5 other (much prettier) goals. Tic, tac, toe! Our line dominated the game.

I think setting up a team mate to score with a nice pass is as exciting as scoring myself.

Closed Thread