HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Dec 19, Boston vs Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2006, 12:16 AM
  #501
Caseus
squirrelly wrath
 
Caseus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson View Post
Muckler's mistakes were Gerber and Murray. He needs to somehow correct them and I think this team will do well. However it will be a huge move if he can somehow pull it off in mid-season.
I agree completely. Do you honestly think Muckler will correct those mistakes? Without an ultimatum from Melnyk I cannot see him firing Murray, no matter what happens. Trading Gerber would be admitting he made a mistake with the signing, and I can't see him doing that either.

I have completely lost faith in both our GM and our head coach.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:43 AM
  #502
OttawaGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,859
vCash: 500
Melnyk did say that although it wasn't the time, if the time came he would make changes. I don't know, losing 6-2 to Columbus, 6-0 to Nashville and 7-2 to Boston would seem to me like a good time. Also we were only BARELY able to beat Detroit and Buffalo.

Like I've said all year this team has a ton of holes that need to be filled. Muckler just doesn't seem up to task. Maybe he like Clarke don't have the same passion for the job in the new NHL.

Fire Muckler, tell Murray he's moved to GM and hire Burns as coach. Murray knows exactly what the needs are for this team and he's very capable of getting good deals done. Burns would be an awesome coach for our team! Being only 2 -3 points out of 8th means we still have a chance to make the playoffs but by Jan 1 if we're still .500 we're in trouble.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:50 AM
  #503
Gr8full
Registered User
 
Gr8full's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
I've tried to stay out of the "fire so and so" debates but I now surrender,I think it's time for them to give Murray his walking papers,and maybe not right now,but I'd like to see both Muckler and Gerber follow him out the door at some point.There's an expression we've all heard; "If it ain't broke don't fix it";well there should also be a counter expression of "If it's broke then get it fixed or throw it out". Throwing it out would be compared to a total rebuild and that's not what I'd like to see,getting it fixed would be to just replace the broken parts.Murray may have a good concept for a working system but at this point he just doesn't seem to know how to implement it.

Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 06:26 AM
  #504
billpo
Registered User
 
billpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
I agree completely. Do you honestly think Muckler will correct those mistakes? Without an ultimatum from Melnyk I cannot see him firing Murray, no matter what happens. Trading Gerber would be admitting he made a mistake with the signing, and I can't see him doing that either.

I have completely lost faith in both our GM and our head coach.
I agree completely.

The perfromance of this team was disgraceful. Here we are playing a team that was 3 points behind us, with 4 games in hand. A game that was worth 4 points.
If this is what shows up for a game that is pretty important....we're screwed.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 06:35 AM
  #505
billpo
Registered User
 
billpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson View Post
I think the biggest statement made tonight is two things that play hand in hand:

a)this team has a weak gameplan due to a weak coaching staff.

b)this team doesn't have a good enough goaltender to play behind that run and gun style.


It worked with Hasek, the greatest human ever to strap cow hide to his shins. Not with Gerber or Emery.

The biggest question will be if Muckler will correct his mistakes. No one is always right, everyone makes mistakes, but no one likes to admit they were wrong.

Muckler's mistakes were Gerber and Murray. He needs to somehow correct them and I think this team will do well. However it will be a huge move if he can somehow pull it off in mid-season.
I agree with everything you have said here. But Mucklers mistakes do not end with Gerber and Murray. What is happening now is that we are starting to feel Mucklers decisions. He has kept the wrong people. Corvo has had one or 2 good games at best. I think Pothier should have been kept instead of Corvo. I don't give a crap what anybody says, we got nothing for Havlat. Another thing I don't like about Muckler is that he always seems to wait till the last minute to negotiate contracts which has never worked in our favour. Muckler is the problem here people. We are just starting to feel the impact of his decisions.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
  #506
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...
 
MHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
I think we've become that predictable team, especially with our offense. We ALWAYS do the same thing - 1) Dump and chase, 2) Get into the zone, stop mid-way and look for the perfect pass or 3) Drop pass. If teams are watching our tapes, they know that we do the same thing over and over again so there's no suprises. That, combined with the constant breakdowns from our D, we are easy to beat IF the opposing team does their homework.

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:21 AM
  #507
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Sens Go View Post
That, combined with the constant breakdowns from our D, we are easy to beat IF the opposing team does their homework.
Which is why this current group would get ******** in the playoffs, IF they manage to make it.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:22 AM
  #508
DEATHtrap
Registered User
 
DEATHtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 500
I had the privilege of seeing the massacre first hand last evening at SBP. I'm not going to comment on the Coaching or GM, but add a few observations on players:

1. Corvo For an offensive dynamo, Corvo plays tentative when carrying the puck or receiving a pass in the neutral zone. As bad as he is defensively, he tightens up if engaged by an opposition forward that applies a strong forecheck. Corvo constantly misplays pucks, fumbles with pucks and makes nervous and unproductive passes with any sign of pressure. In short, Corvo is bad. Come playoff time(if we make it), with ratcheting up of intensity, Corvo will be exposed.

2. Predictable Rushes This applies mostly to the Spezza line, but could be applied Fisher as well. Almost every rush had Spezza carrying the puck through the neutral zone with Heater skating to his immediate left . There is rarely a deviation in this general pattern. Where is the dynamism? And the creativity? It is so predictable that defences can simply cheat to one side and take away Heater's one timer. I realize Spezza is the playmaker and by right should be puck carrier most of the time, but the the line would more successful with a little different alignment once in a while.

3. Preissing Simply put, he is good. Seeing him live makes all the difference, he subtlety makes the smart plays. He has the calming on ice demeanor of a Redden(when he plays okay), and plays a positionally soud defensive game. Sens would do god to sign him long term.

4. Eaves Let me preface this by saying, I'm a big Eaves fan. I was real close to that vicious elbow on Savard. It was a dirty play. Eaves' fans please don't come to his defence when he is pummelled for his on the edge play that often crosses the border into dirty. He put a player in a coma(in college) and he has history of head hunting.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:47 AM
  #509
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post

4. Eaves Let me preface this by saying, I'm a big Eaves fan. I was real close to that vicious elbow on Savard. It was a dirty play. Eaves' fans please don't come to his defence when he is pummelled for his on the edge play that often crosses the border into dirty. He put a player in a coma(in college) and he has history of head hunting.
I want to see more of it. I like players that play on the edge, if only he was bigger and could fight better, then he could protect himself. I love this type of game.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 08:20 AM
  #510
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
4. Eaves Let me preface this by saying, I'm a big Eaves fan. I was real close to that vicious elbow on Savard. It was a dirty play. Eaves' fans please don't come to his defence when he is pummelled for his on the edge play that often crosses the border into dirty. He put a player in a coma(in college) and he has history of head hunting.
And then Tutled when Mara came over to say hello.

That was a dirty hit, and as a hockey fan, I'm glad Savard was able to get up and walk away.

The debate on the Bruin's Board is: 'Was Savard's head too low? Does he deserve 50% of the blame?'

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 08:27 AM
  #511
Brandi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
And then Tutled when Mara came over to say hello.

That was a dirty hit , and as a hockey fan, I'm glad Savard was able to get up and walk away.

The debate on the Bruin's Board is: 'Was Savard's head too low? Does he deserve 50% of the blame?'
I didn't see the hit ( but from the sounds of it, it was dirty ), but a dirty hit , is a dirty hit, and I'm not a fan of that stuff at all.

If you wana lay a good hit, and rock the guy, I'm all for it. But I don't condone that type of behaviour, even if it is on Tucker.

Cause we all know, if that happened to Eaves, Sens fans would go nuts and say how dirty the other player was, and not to pick on him. Just like we said about Tucker.

And let's face it, Eaves is not a fighter, but if you're gona do that , expect a good rompin'.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 08:32 AM
  #512
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
I didn't see the hit ( but from the sounds of it, it was dirty ), but a dirty hit , is a dirty hit, and I'm not a fan of that stuff at all.

If you wana lay a good hit, and rock the guy, I'm all for it. But I don't condone that type of behaviour, even if it is on Tucker.

Cause we all know, if that happened to Eaves, Sens fans would go nuts and say how dirty the other player was, and not to pick on him. Just like we said about Tucker.

And let's face it, Eaves is not a fighter, but if you're gona do that , expect a good rompin'.
Couldn't agree more. The hit was dirty, and it's Eaves second time he's done this.

In the last Bruins-Sens game, he elbowed Savard along the boards. That hit wasn't a 'hit' it was an elbow. Last night, it atleast looked like a hit and not an elbow. In the first game, it was a clear elbow.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 08:34 AM
  #513
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
We need Ruutu to help with the dirty stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwqgys1kez8

He would be an awesome addition to the Sens.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 09:15 AM
  #514
Murphy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SilverCupVille
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
4. Eaves Let me preface this by saying, I'm a big Eaves fan. I was real close to that vicious elbow on Savard. It was a dirty play. Eaves' fans please don't come to his defence when he is pummelled for his on the edge play that often crosses the border into dirty. He put a player in a coma(in college) and he has history of head hunting.
Didnt Eaves break his own neck too though?

Murphy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 09:47 AM
  #515
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Mrs. NyQuil here - NyQuil has retreated to the office to play computer games.

Now I have all the power! MWAHAHAHA

That said, I didn't go to middle school with Savard but played soccer with his sister so I knew him as well.

Yes, hot, no, not very nice. Pretty cocky actually. Also, he was a year older than us but in our grade, so seemingly not the brightest boy.
He went to Bell HS with a couple of friends of mine. Apparently you're right about the cockiness. The kids once had to choose between hockey and broomball, and he picked broomball just so he could beat everyone at that.

As a side note, I just want to trumpet what I've been saying since summer:

Preissing > Corvo

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:27 AM
  #516
Brandi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Couldn't agree more. The hit was dirty, and it's Eaves second time he's done this.

In the last Bruins-Sens game, he elbowed Savard along the boards. That hit wasn't a 'hit' it was an elbow. Last night, it atleast looked like a hit and not an elbow. In the first game, it was a clear elbow.
I don't believe Eaves is a dirty player. What I do believe is that he is trying to be aggressive, as he's not a small guy ( not a big guy either ) and could be using that in taking liberties to players.

Eaves is a great addition to this team. I do love his aggression and the way he goes "all out". He skates hard, he'll hit, he can score , so he's got fantastic qualities.

I just feel punishment should fit the crime. If he's going to take a cheap shot at somebody, get read to get your *** kicked.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:28 AM
  #517
Jennifer 19
Registered User
 
Jennifer 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Melbourne
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
He went to Bell HS? Didn't know that.

That's 2 hockey players then (Yzerman, Savard).

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:43 AM
  #518
Jorge Garcia
Registered User
 
Jorge Garcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Eaves is getting a bad rap here. He didn't throw his elbow at Mr. Savard. He didn't even raise his arm. He skated into a guy (from the side, not from the back) who ducked his head down to waist level and right into an elbow that was being carried at a normal level. Eaves did put a little extra into the hit, but I'm not sure he deserved any penalty at all, let alone 5 and a game.
While I'm posting, I'll just say the Senators played the stupidest, laziest game I've even seen from this franchise. Thanks for wasting my evening, you dumbass bozos. I'm learning to despise this team.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:06 AM
  #519
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
Eaves is getting a bad rap here. He didn't throw his elbow at Mr. Savard. He didn't even raise his arm. He skated into a guy (from the side, not from the back) who ducked his head down to waist level and right into an elbow that was being carried at a normal level. Eaves did put a little extra into the hit, but I'm not sure he deserved any penalty at all, let alone 5 and a game.
This is the second time he's done this to Savard... I'm almost willing to give him a pass on the 'hit' last night because Savard wasn't completely upright, but the elbow he gave to Savard in Boston was not a hit, it was completely an elbow to the head.

Dave Lewis was on WEEI at 11:15 and brought this up (meaning: The Bruins will be sending a tape to the NHL office). Don't be surprised if Eaves is out for a game or two.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:17 AM
  #520
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
As a side note, I just want to trumpet what I've been saying since summer:

Preissing > Corvo
You weren't the only one saying that...


The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:30 AM
  #521
Rico__Persson*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
I agree completely. Do you honestly think Muckler will correct those mistakes?
When your job is on the line, you do anything and everything. Muckler has seen more hockey than almost anyone in the game. He isn't stupid, he knows his job is on the line here. The question becomes how patient is Melnyk.


Quote:
1. Corvo For an offensive dynamo, Corvo plays tentative when carrying the puck or receiving a pass in the neutral zone. As bad as he is defensively, he tightens up if engaged by an opposition forward that applies a strong forecheck. Corvo constantly misplays pucks, fumbles with pucks and makes nervous and unproductive passes with any sign of pressure. In short, Corvo is bad. Come playoff time(if we make it), with ratcheting up of intensity, Corvo will be exposed.
With Corvo its all confidence. Right now he has none. It;s obvious by watching him play and reading the words you used to describe him. He's playing too much with Redden out, which I think he COULD do if he would have had confidence in his game when Redden initially was hurt.

Corvo was bursting with confidence at the start of the year, and it showed. He didn't worry about making a mistake, now all he thinks about is not making a mistake, instead of using his moves to make plays.

A good coach would correct this with minimized ice time and a good one on one talk. Players are fragile at times. We have seen this with many players, the most glazing is Vermette. There was a time when he looked lost and timid, not he's passing between his legs on 2 on 1's.

Corvo will be fine when he gets his head back.



I didn't see the Eaves hit, but it sounds 50-50 in terms of dirty to clean. I'm of course going to say it was a good hit, and shows that at least someone cares, being embarrased on home ice. I like his style. Does anyone have a clip?

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
  #522
PlayItAgain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Dave Lewis was on WEEI at 11:15 and brought this up (meaning: The Bruins will be sending a tape to the NHL office). Don't be surprised if Eaves is out for a game or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Rulebook
Elbowing shall mean the use of an extended elbow in a manner that may or may not cause injury.
I will be extremely surprised if a suspension occurs. You could call Eaves' hit vicious or mean spirited, but by no means is he going to get suspended by the league.

Finishing his check is all Eaves did. He did NOT raise or extend his elbow


Last edited by PlayItAgain: 12-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.
PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:41 PM
  #523
Brandi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post
I will be extremely surprised if a suspension occurs. You could call Eaves' hit vicious or mean spirited, but by no means is he going to get suspended by the league.

Finishing his check is all Eaves did. He did NOT raise or extend his elbow
Agree,

I mean can you imagine handing out suspensions for every Elbow that comes our way.

Way to many reviews would get done, and not to mention, not all dirty hits are clear. Some are very easy to read, some are not.

But we all know if Gratts did it, it may be a different story.

Just the way she goes buddy... Just the way she goes ( A little quote from Trailor park boys - Ricki's dad )

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
  #524
Brandi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson View Post
When your job is on the line, you do anything and everything. Muckler has seen more hockey than almost anyone in the game. He isn't stupid, he knows his job is on the line here. The question becomes how patient is Melnyk.




With Corvo its all confidence. Right now he has none. It;s obvious by watching him play and reading the words you used to describe him. He's playing too much with Redden out, which I think he COULD do if he would have had confidence in his game when Redden initially was hurt.

Corvo was bursting with confidence at the start of the year, and it showed. He didn't worry about making a mistake, now all he thinks about is not making a mistake, instead of using his moves to make plays.


Corvo will be fine when he gets his head back.

?
Completely agree.

Makes it easy too , since I'm not a huge Preissing fan.

All over the Corvo wagon.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:44 PM
  #525
hockeycountry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
2. Predictable Rushes This applies mostly to the Spezza line, but could be applied Fisher as well. Almost every rush had Spezza carrying the puck through the neutral zone with Heater skating to his immediate left . There is rarely a deviation in this general pattern. Where is the dynamism? And the creativity? It is so predictable that defences can simply cheat to one side and take away Heater's one timer. I realize Spezza is the playmaker and by right should be puck carrier most of the time, but the the line would more successful with a little different alignment once in a while.
My biggest problem with the Fisher line right now (since you mentioned them) is that they're the second unit PP. To my mind, they haven't shown much of anything as a power play unit since Schaefer returned from his hip injury, and neither of the three is exactly hot right now. I know the first unit isn't always worth writing home about, but the second unit almost always ends up in a pointless battle on the boards. I don't know exactly how Murray could shake up the units (beyond getting Eaves and Vermette on them more regularly), but I know I'd like to see something change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome
3. Preissing Simply put, he is good. Seeing him live makes all the difference, he subtlety makes the smart plays. He has the calming on ice demeanor of a Redden(when he plays okay), and plays a positionally soud defensive game. Sens would do god to sign him long term.
I third (fourth?) the Preissing > Corvo, and have also said it all along. (Okay, I didn't know much about Corvo until he came here, but still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome
4. Eaves Let me preface this by saying, I'm a big Eaves fan. I was real close to that vicious elbow on Savard. It was a dirty play. Eaves' fans please don't come to his defence when he is pummelled for his on the edge play that often crosses the border into dirty. He put a player in a coma(in college) and he has history of head hunting.
Agree. And 8BostonRocker24 is right; the last time Eaves elbowed Savard, it was as blatant and dirty as it gets -- and it is not out of character. This one might leave a little more room for judgement, but honestly? For his sake and the league's, I hope he sits for a couple of games.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.