HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2013, 11:43 AM
  #76
Runner77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,437
vCash: 500
After pushing the limits of pushing buttons ... oh wait, wrong channel.

DD has come full circle -- he's now worth exactly what he was worth the year he went undrafted.

Runner77 is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 11:58 AM
  #77
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
They have plenty of alternatives once the injured players come back though, so this is when we'll see if they can adjust. Dumont and Leblanc are natural centers, and Prust has been used in that role before. Same for Briere. I'm assuming at least one of them could fill in at center with limited ice time on a 4th line and not look out of place. Then there are trades. Defensively responsible 4th liners are not a hard find nor do they cost a ton. This is all assuming they are ready to play Galchenyuk at center, which I think they should, with the same kind of easy minutes Desharnais is getting. He won't look any worse than Desharnais and actually has upside.
Dumont and Leblanc don't really play center in the pros. It would be like calling Kessel a natural center.

Prust has been used in the role before but not really a natural position. He took 9 faceoffs last year with 33.3% wins. Year prior he took 55 with 45.4% wins. The year prior, 5 faceoffs...before that, 9. You get the point, it's not really a position he's played a lot.

Briere however, he is a natural center. I can see him I that role. Some argue both have been bad so it's not really a solution as much as it is an alternative. It would be foolish if we didn't try it though.

Galchenyuk is another option but our top 6 weakens with his loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
Besides, it's not like Desharnais is so good defensively that you can't replace him with a player who doesn't yet fully master the defensive game of the center position. He needs to get the opportunity to grow in this role sooner than later.

Pacioretty Plekanec Gionta
Bournival Eller Gallagher
Bourque Galchenyuk Briere
Moen Prust White

I don't see how you can insert Desharnais in this lineup, even if he starts producing a little, and not weaken the team. This top-9 is composed of better and more effective hockey players. I don't see how this can end well for Desharnais unfortunatelly unless he has some kind of miracle turnaround.
I agree with you. Only concern is top 6 gets weaker. For what is Desharnais black hole production few mention Eller has 3 points in last 14 games. Once again, 1 of those 3 points was Vancouver own goal. Diluting the top 6 might not be the best option.

Of course, we need to try something so I wouldn't complain!

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 12:15 PM
  #78
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
To be fair, the concept of "opportunity cost" is an advanced one, an abstract one, and I think the average Joe Blow on the street wouldn't get it. You should not be shaking your head. If anything, people should be shaking their head at you because you are (incorrectly) assuming that this is a concept most people would understand.
It's not an advanced concept, it's an extremely basic one that you learn in beginners economics classes. It's basically just the cost of an alternative forgone, to do something else. In this case, the opportunity cost would be the cost of forgoing putting someone useful on the ice, in order to put DD on the ice.

CanadienShark is online now  
Old
11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  #79
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with you. Only concern is top 6 gets weaker. For what is Desharnais black hole production few mention Eller has 3 points in last 14 games. Once again, 1 of those 3 points was Vancouver own goal. Diluting the top 6 might not be the best option.

Of course, we need to try something so I wouldn't complain!
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...51+52+13+15+29

Black hole offense against soft offensive opponents that adds D responsibility to top 6. Eller is slumping (he went through similar stretches in 12/13 too) because he's still getting used to that added D responsibility forced upon him (same with the Gallys).

The scary part is Plekanec could be slumping soon too if you put any weight into on ice shooting% evening out over the course of the season + his competition. Desharnais has a low on ice shooting%...scarier is his on-ice sv% is tops on team and could easily drop.

On a team with no superstar game breaker up front, blackhole exploitation 3rd line is an overall offense killer. I don't think Habs come out of their game vs Blues with a goal let alone point if DD was on the 3rd line providing blackhole D/O presence and giving Blues matchup advantage.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
  #80
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Because he doesn't fit. And he's on pace for 5 points on the season.
its over

pay the 1 mil we can take back in a deal and move him and take a back another 2.5 mil contract as long as the guy can play anything on the bottom 6

this is embarrassing , and hopefully our knob regime learns its lesson

he was a RFA , no leverage , and we held the cards , we can match or take draft pick compensation , NO ONE WAS GOING TO SIGN HIM PAST 1 YEAR

a waste just like Briere

penalty shot* is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 01:15 PM
  #81
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
After pushing the limits of pushing buttons ... oh wait, wrong channel.

DD has come full circle -- he's now worth exactly what he was worth the year he went undrafted.

penalty shot* is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 01:16 PM
  #82
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimota View Post
i don't understand this guy. I was watching him last night and he seems like a completly different player than he was two years ago. Everything about him is different.
yup

its called , i have 14 mil now

Merci

penalty shot* is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 01:37 PM
  #83
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...51+52+13+15+29

Black hole offense against soft offensive opponents that adds D responsibility to top 6. Eller is slumping (he went through similar stretches in 12/13 too) because he's still getting used to that added D responsibility forced upon him (same with the Gallys).

The scary part is Plekanec could be slumping soon too if you put any weight into on ice shooting% evening out over the course of the season + his competition. Desharnais has a low on ice shooting%...scarier is his on-ice sv% is tops on team and could easily drop.

On a team with no superstar game breaker up front, blackhole exploitation 3rd line is an overall offense killer. I don't think Habs come out of their game vs Blues with a goal let alone point if DD was on the 3rd line providing blackhole D/O presence and giving Blues matchup advantage.
I've heard Eller has been covering for DD for years now, he's still getting used to it?

I'm worried Plekanec's line may slump eventually, we're doomed at that point but knowing the habs we'll have 1 line out of 4 in motion...always. Never 2 or 3.

Like I said, the habs should try new stuff. I honestly don't mind. I want team to win, that's what counts.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 02:48 PM
  #84
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I've heard Eller has been covering for DD for years now, he's still getting used to it?

I'm worried Plekanec's line may slump eventually, we're doomed at that point but knowing the habs we'll have 1 line out of 4 in motion...always. Never 2 or 3.

Like I said, the habs should try new stuff. I honestly don't mind. I want team to win, that's what counts.
Yup, like you suggest Desharnais was a detriment to the rest of the lineup for years now as he forced other lines to cover for him. That's why I didn't want him on the team even when he was putting up points. The negatives outweigh the positive even if he goes 0.5 points/game. Now he's not even producing that and it adds double the responsibility on top 6 since they have to not only shudown top 6 but produce all the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence the Habs offense is a joke this season now that the bottom 6 is a joke.

I think the difference is Eller's sharing D role more evenly with Plekanec and getting matched up against 1st lines too. He's still pushing puck possession but production not there yet.

I think Habs are doomed this season if they stay the course. Habs need 3 lines that can be decent and a 4th line that isn't auto-goal against. I'd try:

Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Briere - Bourque
Moen - Desharnais - White/Dumont (Prust when he returns)

Hope to god Briere can be a scrub 0.5 points/game soft min C + vet C mentor for Galchenyuk. 3 potentially decent lines.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  #85
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yup, like you suggest Desharnais was a detriment to the rest of the lineup for years now as he forced other lines to cover for him. That's why I didn't want him on the team even when he was putting up points. The negatives outweigh the positive even if he goes 0.5 points/game. Now he's not even producing that and it adds double the responsibility on top 6 since they have to not only shudown top 6 but produce all the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence the Habs offense is a joke this season now that the bottom 6 is a joke.

I think the difference is Eller's sharing D role more evenly with Plekanec and getting matched up against 1st lines too. He's still pushing puck possession but production not there yet.

I think Habs are doomed this season if they stay the course. Habs need 3 lines that can be decent and a 4th line that isn't auto-goal against. I'd try:

Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Briere - Bourque
Moen - Desharnais - White/Dumont (Prust when he returns)

Hope to god Briere can be a scrub 0.5 points/game soft min C + vet C mentor for Galchenyuk. 3 potentially decent lines.
Great Post. Almost identical to my ideal lines. Maybe switch Around Briere/Galchenyuk/Bourque depending on who is playing better at center. Maybe switch Maxpac and Bournival, but either way it looks good.

And yeah, the Egg line has been playing very well, just not converting. Last game, Eller set Galchneyuk up on the doorstep twice and nothing came of it. The offensive will come, I'm not worried.

overlords is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 07:55 PM
  #86
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Briere in and Desharnais out?

JLP is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 07:57 PM
  #87
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 500
Our Mayor disapproves

DenisCoderre ‏@DenisCoderre 31m
Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp.... #HabsDC

Andy is online now  
Old
11-10-2013, 07:58 PM
  #88
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Briere in and Desharnais out?
DD today was zero across the board today with over 15min ice time.

How long can this keep going?

WakeUpNHL is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 07:58 PM
  #89
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,302
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Briere in and Desharnais out?
Seems logical but...

Tuggy is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 07:58 PM
  #90
Smoky Thompson
Registered User
 
Smoky Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Posts: 3,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Briere in and Desharnais out?
Yes please

Smoky Thompson is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 08:01 PM
  #91
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
DD today was zero across the board today with over 15min ice time.

How long can this keep going?
He actually had 1 hit lawl (was more like a push). He's lucky the scoreboard guy even gave him that.

Srsly, DD has to be the most un-phased pro hockey player in the world. He gets called out by the media, his coaching staff, gets to play with every one of his teammates (and turns them into black holes, as he is, in the process) and still fails to even a register a shot on the net and score into wide-open nets.

I think he knows that he's getting paid regardless of what he does, so why even bother playing good hockey and finishing chances, when you can be a useless floater who turns everything he touches into a door knob?

kassian is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 08:01 PM
  #92
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.
 
thaivuN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 187
Desharnais couldn't pass as an adult on the ice, even with his new beard.

thaivuN is online now  
Old
11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
  #93
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Before Pacioretty gets dragged down as new comparable to DD's offensive incompetence since Eller put up points recently, I need to say why he should keep playing where he's playing now.

I wish Habs played Subban like they're doing Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Bournival this season. All of them are getting increased roles and being tested against high opposition players more than they ever did in their career. Good for development IMO. Once Pacioretty adapts to higher competition level of opposition 1st lines + improves defensively against these lines + learns how to kill penalties, he's going to be a complete game beast. He can't achieve this by being on a line that is constantly matched up against opposition scrubs with or without Desharnais.

I don't understand how Habs can do this for Pac et co but not for Subban.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
  #94
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,779
vCash: 500
DD tonight

OMG Almost scored in his own goal. Bourque is trying like a madman on his line but DD is unable to follow suit.

Kimota is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
  #95
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,506
vCash: 500
Lars Eller never had a real slump this season, it was just a statistical fluctuation. Him and his line were generating shots.

Desharnais' terrible production is not a statistical fluctuation. He is not being unlucky. He is getting all the production he deserves.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 08:25 PM
  #96
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,506
vCash: 500
Does anybody have a YouTube of little DD's hit?

DAChampion is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
  #97
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,010
vCash: 500
Only positive is that he is a much better skater then before

FazChenyuk is online now  
Old
11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
  #98
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Therrien seems really desperate when he talked about DD after the game.
Seems like he's running out of options now. Even got first wave of PP tonight.

And DD was awful again.
He missed a perfect play build by Bournival,
Took a bad penalty
Didn't even get a shot on goal, for the 5th game in a row.

The "bounce-back" isn't happening here, we have other options and should take it.

Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Those two lines are responsible for 40% of our offensive right now.
We don't need to break any of them....we need to help them a little.
We need another line capable of bringing offensive....and take the load of the back of those two lines.

Pacioretty - Briere - Bourque

Briere's place is at center right now, he's gonna be more effective than DD for sure and in between those two winger. I'm pretty sure it's gonna give the Habs 3 lines able to score.

And like last year, we will have 3 dangerous line.

Milhouse40 is online now  
Old
11-10-2013, 09:25 PM
  #99
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
get him a sports psychologist already.......

dutchy29 is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 09:25 PM
  #100
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yup, like you suggest Desharnais was a detriment to the rest of the lineup for years now as he forced other lines to cover for him. That's why I didn't want him on the team even when he was putting up points. The negatives outweigh the positive even if he goes 0.5 points/game. Now he's not even producing that and it adds double the responsibility on top 6 since they have to not only shudown top 6 but produce all the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence the Habs offense is a joke this season now that the bottom 6 is a joke.

I think the difference is Eller's sharing D role more evenly with Plekanec and getting matched up against 1st lines too. He's still pushing puck possession but production not there yet.

I think Habs are doomed this season if they stay the course. Habs need 3 lines that can be decent and a 4th line that isn't auto-goal against. I'd try:

Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Briere - Bourque
Moen - Desharnais - White/Dumont (Prust when he returns)

Hope to god Briere can be a scrub 0.5 points/game soft min C + vet C mentor for Galchenyuk. 3 potentially decent lines.
Good post, with a healthy line-up, I'd try something like this :

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Bournival - Bourque
Moen - White - Dumont/Brière/Capable 4th liner

bcv is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.