HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perds @devils 6:00 Smashville Time FS TN

Old
11-10-2013, 10:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
There weren't a ton of goalies on the market this summer. Bryz got bought out after two poor seasons ... Thomas decided to make a comeback and has been injury prone as a Panther ... Mason ... Theodore ... Boucher ... Leighton ....

There is a reason why the Preds took a chance with a guy who put up good AHL numbers when there was so little veteran NHL talent with much left in the tank on the market.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 10:26 PM
dulzhok

Hutton's not the problem. If we were losing 5-4, then yes that'd be the case. Granted, he's not playing well, but that doesn't really matter at this point.

The problem, like usual, is we have inferior offensive talent.

We finished last year with the worst offense in the league. What did we do to address it? We spent 30 million+ on more third line talent.

This has been a persistent problem for a franchise and Poile has done next to nothing to address it. It's why Suter wanted out. He's why Weber, at the very least, was wiling to go to another team. It's why we can't attract free agents. It's why we've never gone deep in the playoffs.

And it's why we are losing right now... with little hope of improvement, even if Rinne comes back.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Sigh.

120:18 of shutout hockey.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 10:45 PM
glenngineer

This team can't hit the broadside of a barn with a puck if their lives depended upon it. I've never seen so many shots that miss the net on a continuous basis.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 11:01 PM
MrMariusz

Preds need to return home, some ugly road games.
I can live with the blowouts, every team will have a rough stretch. But they look like they just want to move on to the next game as soon as they get scored on away from home.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There weren't a ton of goalies on the market this summer. Bryz got bought out after two poor seasons ... Thomas decided to make a comeback and has been injury prone as a Panther ... Mason ... Theodore ... Boucher ... Leighton ....

There is a reason why the Preds took a chance with a guy who put up good AHL numbers when there was so little veteran NHL talent with much left in the tank on the market.
...Greiss, Khudobin, Garon, Emery, Khabibulin, Ellis, LaBarbara, Johnson, among others

Not the greatest of names, but there were plenty of choices. I'd have taken most of them over Hutton. Small fact: we spent the lowest amount out of all teams in the goaltending UFA market for their backup.

Regardless, goaltending is just one of many problems. That is very evident.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:01 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Hutton's not the problem. If we were losing 5-4, then yes that'd be the case. Granted, he's not playing well, but that doesn't really matter at this point.

We finished last year with the worst offense in the league. What did we do to address it? We spent 30 million+ on more third line talent.
This. So much this.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 06:31 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

This has been a persistent problem for a franchise and Poile has done next to nothing to address it. It's why Suter wanted out. He's why Weber, at the very least, was wiling to go to another team. It's why we can't attract free agents. It's why we've never gone deep in the playoffs.

And it's why we are losing right now... with little hope of improvement, even if Rinne comes back.
no it isnt. this same bunch you are moaning about scored 14 goals in three games.

but the players have no confidence in the goalie and have begun playing tight and afraid to make mistakes and stifled any offensive initiative.

yes we could use another talented winger or two, but we need a goaltender that the players feel like they can play in front of without every mistake turning into a goal against

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Said coach Barry Trotz: “The chances for the game were fairly even, but when we give up a chance, it’s a good chance, and it ended up in our net all night.”
huh, so yeah, Hutton sucks.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:43 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no it isnt. this same bunch you are moaning about scored 14 goals in three games.

but the players have no confidence in the goalie and have begun playing tight and afraid to make mistakes and stifled any offensive initiative.

yes we could use another talented winger or two, but we need a goaltender that the players feel like they can play in front of without every mistake turning into a goal against
Personally, I agree with both. When you lose to a couple of teams with a combined record of 10-16-7 (at the time of the game) by a combined score of 10-0, the entire team, from first line to the bottom pairing D to the PR department, is to blame. Just terrible.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
What a complete lie by Trotz. This game wasn't close to being even. Grow some freaking balls and maybe a neck and get angry for once.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:54 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
Preds need to return home, some ugly road games.
I can live with the blowouts, every team will have a rough stretch. But they look like they just want to move on to the next game as soon as they get scored on away from home.
no thanks, stay away until the team gets their head out of their ass.....
seeing it on tv is bad enough, seeing it in person with paying for the ticket and my time is worse.

if I could lock them in their room or bag skate them for 2 days , I would.

but they are millionaires wandering around nyc today. bunch of slackers, all of you.

frankly, if they were at home for these last 2 games , I would be booing them off the ice.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Montross

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I know some on this board will continue to make excuses for the guy, but Hutton is clearly not a starting NHL goalie in this league...maybe not even an able back-up either. Bottom line is is sv % and GAA is awful. The team has no confidence in him as soon as he gives up that first softie.

But I don't know what the real alternatives are at this point....I guess they can go get some scrub former NHL goalie or see what the other guys in our system can do.

I'm afraid though they are in for a long couple of months once Rinne is 100% again.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
AintLifeGrand

Poile needs to shake something up ASAP

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:53 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Hutton is not an nhl goalie. maybe a backup. and not a very good one at that. can't make a big save when a young defense corp makes a mistake. Saps the confidence out of them.

Those who say Trotz should get mad for once hasn't followed this team long enough. Barry is a pro and isn't going to have a Tortarella press conference to please the fans. He treats the guys like men.

Need 60 out of 82 (73%) points at home and go .500 on the road for 100 points. right now we have 64% of our home points and 45% of our road points. As bad as these two losses have been, a win or 2 OT points of any kind get us to .500 on the road. Have to remember some of the good at the beginning of this trip.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
MrMariusz

Hellberg has much more potential than Hutton ever had.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Once again the boards magically possess the ability to assess the psychiatric reasons for why the team is doing things. Claiming that it's the result of almost two weeks on the road is just as plausible as the confidence claims. It could be just the usual streak of crappy play we (and every team) see from time to time during any season.

Hutton's play is one of many factors with the team and only part of what Trotz alluded to ... the breakdowns creating high quality chances over and over are a major part. Henrique left alone in the slot for a point blank shot (saved) as everyone pays attention to Jagr behind the net ... Jagr allowed to skate across and get space on the first goal ... nobody challenging Carter as he charged to the crease or picking up Janssen as he followed on another goal. The team is losing the game along the boards, not picking up the second player heading towards the goal for rebounds/passes, created no net presence in the past two games (although a ton of shots at Winnipeg ... but nobody in place to screen or collect rebounds).

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
sighthndlady

If Hutton starts on Tuesday, I may not be able to watch the game due to the broken TV screen from having something large and hard thrown at it. He looks and acts totally lost in the net.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I'm pretty sure our Goals per Game is better with Hutton than Rinne, even with the past two games.

We had an unusual 3 game streak of scoring, but we are still 26th in the league in goals per game. If you don't think that's a problem... not sure what to say.

Hutton is not good. But we have other problems that aren't going away when/if Rinne comes back.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:40 AM
AintLifeGrand

Hutton has not made a game changing save since the last WPG we won

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
predfan98

doesn't matter if Hutton is bad or the team hung him out to dry or both. there is no confidence there.

start another goalie ..........

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
If Hutton starts on Tuesday, I may not be able to watch the game due to the broken TV screen from having something large and hard thrown at it. He looks and acts totally lost in the net.
He also seems to have that same "what was I supposed to do about that one?" reaction every time he lets in a goal....

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
thecloser

We need to either start mazanec or try to trade for fasth. Don't know if Anaheim would trade him to a western foe but they have tons of goalie depth and good ones at that. Or when fasth is healthy, Hiller may be available.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
We need to either start mazanec or try to trade for fasth. Don't know if Anaheim would trade him to a western foe but they have tons of goalie depth and good ones at that. Or when fasth is healthy, Hiller may be available.
I don't think we need to trade away stuff for a goalie fix that will be needed for (hopefully) no more than 6 or 8 weeks. Plus, a goalie of Hiller or Fasth's caliber wouldn't be happy riding the bench 70 times a season when Rinne is healthy.

We just suck this year. There's no magical fix.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I don't think we need to trade away stuff for a goalie fix that will be needed for (hopefully) no more than 6 or 8 weeks. Plus, a goalie of Hiller or Fasth's caliber wouldn't be happy riding the bench 70 times a season when Rinne is healthy.

We just suck this year. There's no magical fix.
Well the only reason I propose it is because they are both UFA's at the end of the year so riding the pine wouldn't be an issue. Plus they'd be the starter until February and even then I don't think Rinne is going to get a huge workload. Were better off just taking it easy with peks to make sure he can return to form.

So basically you get hiller/fasth to finish the year and then have Rinne really ready for next season.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote