HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby's pace??

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2013, 08:49 PM
DearDiary

vCash: 50
Problem isn't Crosby, Dupuis in particular his play has been nothing short of mediocre. Opposing players aren't even bothering to stop Crosby's passes, they're defending with the intent he's going to shoot. Crosby started his career as a playermaker but is forced to be a shooter because no one on his line can finish.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:59 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Crosby's just lucky Getzlaf didn't play tonight

Old
11-11-2013, 05:47 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Still laughing at the people that thought he could get 150 points.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Still laughing at the people that thought he could get 150 points.
He still could but he'd have to have another dominant streak where he has a 2PPG over say 15 games.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:41 AM
DamonDRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
He still could but he'd have to have another dominant streak where he has a 2PPG over say 15 games.
why not a dominating streak with 3PPG over 50 games? This would immeditely give him 150pts.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:53 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I think 150 is a lost cause.

Well, it was my opinion from the get go. But now it is starting to be ridiculously hard to achieve.

If we assume Crosby plays all 82 games, he has 65 games left.

He currently has 23 points, so to hit 150 he still needs 127.

To hit that amount, Crosby needs to average 1.95PPG. For a streak of 65 games, I think we can all agree that he is not going to average just a hair shy of 2PPG. That would mean that when he hits another cold streak, he would have to have average around 3 points for long period of games.

Not even the great Crosby can do that.

For him to hit 130, he would need 107 points in his remaining 65 games. That would mean he needs to average 1.65PPG for the rest of this season. It is the definite max. I can see him doing this year. I don't think he finishes with his current pace, 110, but I don't think he hits 130 either. 120 is going to be my guess. I still think he will win the Scoring race, but there is no way he hits 150.

Old
11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I think 150 is a lost cause.

Well, it was my opinion from the get go. But now it is starting to be ridiculously hard to achieve.

If we assume Crosby plays all 82 games, he has 65 games left.

He currently has 23 points, so to hit 150 he still needs 127.

To hit that amount, Crosby needs to average 1.95PPG. For a streak of 65 games, I think we can all agree that he is not going to average just a hair shy of 2PPG. That would mean that when he hits another cold streak, he would have to have average around 3 points for long period of games.

Not even the great Crosby can do that.

For him to hit 130, he would need 107 points in his remaining 65 games. That would mean he needs to average 1.65PPG for the rest of this season. It is the definite max. I can see him doing this year. I don't think he finishes with his current pace, 110, but I don't think he hits 130 either. 120 is going to be my guess. I still think he will win the Scoring race, but there is no way he hits 150.
I agree with this, I see 120+ points for Crosby this season.

Old
11-11-2013, 09:34 AM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I know that Crosby has had chemistry with Dupuis and Kunitz in the past...but let's not overlook the fact that he has never played a substantial amount of time in the NHL with an elite linemate, unless you call a very old Mario or Colby Armstrong elite. He has never had a Hull to his Oates. A Kurri to his Gretzky. A Stamkos to his St. Louis. He has played with scrubs or semi-scrubs he's turned into decent hockey players his entire career, and continues to do so.

The fact that he even manages to stay near the top of the scoring race is a miracle. Good thing he and Malkin share some ice time now and then on the pp.
When 2 centers are making 18 mill a year, it's hard to get them decent wingers.

Old
11-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
I applaud you for actually picking up my exact point, so thank you.

You don't think Giroux has been either consistent or dominant since 2010 though? How many guys have more points than Giroux since those 2010 Olympics? Off the top of my head I'll say Stamkos, St. Louis, and Henrik Sedin; I could be wrong, but I don't think there can be that many more. That doesn't count for consistency? He takes his game to the next level in the playoffs and as much blame as people want to give blame to the Penguins instead of credit to Giroux in that playoff series the guy put up 14 points in 6 games in the playoffs. If that wasn't domination than I don't know what is. He never dominated during his great season?

It's ridiculous how quickly people here have turned on Giroux and it's just unwarranted. He had a slow start last year and ended up on a pace for 96 points with 41 points in his last 35 games. The guy was still a point per game player and people call him overrated.
As for Giroux, that's another dude who benefitted from having Jagr around. Jagr was the catalyst, and we can see that now with hindsight.

Old
11-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Bu-bu-bu-I thought whatever pace Crosby puts up in a small sample size can be extrapolated to a full season, no questions asked! I did the math, he should have 34 points in 17 games! They must not be keeping stats correctly

Old
11-11-2013, 11:00 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
When 2 centers are making 18 mill a year, it's hard to get them decent wingers.
Valid point, but Pittsburgh has also let a lot of guys get away from them who would have filled the spot nicely (I know it is not necessarily their fault, but a guy like Hossa comes to mind).

The fact is, because Crosby can produce with anyone, when they do get someone who is sort of a natural goal scorer, that guy plays with Malkin (Neal, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicnamesup View Post
I don't think anybody is a lock. Crosby is the closest thing to a lock but if he didn't put up points this season, he could easily be left off the team.

He has put up a bunch and he will be there, probably one of the best in the tourny.
The odds of ME making the team are better than Crosby's being left off of it due to lack of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
Bu-bu-bu-I thought whatever pace Crosby puts up in a small sample size can be extrapolated to a full season, no questions asked! I did the math, he should have 34 points in 17 games! They must not be keeping stats correctly
At least the Pen's best player has two goals this year. More, actually, and he is still scoring at a better pace than .5 ppg. Until Giroux stops looking like Pascal Dupuis' less talented cousin, Flyer fans have nothing to say on this matter, do they?

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 11-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Quote:
At least the Pen's best player has two goals this year. More, actually, and he is still scoring at a better pace than .5 ppg. Until Giroux stops looking like Pascal Dupuis' less talented cousin, Flyer fans have nothing to say on this matter, do they?
No, see, Crosby and Giroux are both the best players in the world. They're both slumping right now because of their teammates.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:29 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
No, see, Crosby and Giroux are both the best players in the world. They're both slumping right now because of their teammates.
Your post is 25% correct. Crosby is the best player in the world.

Crosby is in a mild slump because of several factors, but it isn't just his teammates. He has been checked very tightly by some good teams, has come up against some great goaltending (Lundqvist), and his teammates are not cashing in either.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:54 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Have you guys seen any frustration in his game? Crosby seems to be very driven and result orientated guy. When he is slumping, (for whatever the reason might be) you could expect him to get frustrated and that might lock up his game even more.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:59 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Have you guys seen any frustration in his game? Crosby seems to be very driven and result orientated guy. When he is slumping, (for whatever the reason might be) you could expect him to get frustrated and that might lock up his game even more.
Late in games, yes.

Crosby is my favourite player, but even I will admit that if you shut him down in the first and second period, by the third he will be off his game, start embellishing, getting his nose into scuffles, etc. He has improved in this respect, but it is still there in his game. It may be his kryptonite.

Shutting him down early is everyone else's kryptonite, though. Good teams can and will continue to do it with some regularity. I still wish the Pens would get him an elite winger so that he wasn't so easy to cue on, but the Pens will likely never accomplish that as long as they think semi-scrubs are good enough and cheap enough.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Late in games, yes.

Crosby is my favourite player, but even I will admit that if you shut him down in the first and second period, by the third he will be off his game, start embellishing, getting his nose into scuffles, etc. He has improved in this respect, but it is still there in his game. It may be his kryptonite.

Shutting him down early is everyone else's kryptonite, though. Good teams can and will continue to do it with some regularity. I still wish the Pens would get him an elite winger so that he wasn't so easy to cue on, but the Pens will likely never accomplish that as long as they think semi-scrubs are good enough and cheap enough.
I watch very little Crosby, mainly cause I live in Finland so it's hard enough to watch my favorite team so I rarely see any other games than Ducks in regular season.

But I have seen few games of Crosby and he seems to get frustrated when he is not producing. I never see him giving hard time to his team-mates tough, but sometimes he gets involved in stuff he probably shouldn't.

In 7 games he hasn't scored a single goal, and he has been shooting a lot less than the first 10 games to season.

He averaged 4.4 shots in his first 10 games. In his last seven he has averaged 2.5 shots.
I know, small sample sizes. We will have to wait and see what happens.

But this small sample might support the idea what Pens fans have said all the time. Crosby's linemates can't finish. Or it might mean nothing. I don't know.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:15 PM
FlyingPantherExtreme

The league has figured him out.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:07 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Your post is 25% correct. Crosby is the best player in the world.

Crosby is in a mild slump because of several factors, but it isn't just his teammates. He has been checked very tightly by some good teams, has come up against some great goaltending (Lundqvist), and his teammates are not cashing in either.
Which is exactly what some of us were saying, he will run into slumps, tough defensive teams and hot goaltenders.

To expect a player to play at a 1.65 + PPG for an entire single season is unreasonable if you ask me.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:22 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Which is exactly what some of us were saying, he will run into slumps, tough defensive teams and hot goaltenders.

To expect a player to play at a 1.65 + PPG for an entire single season is unreasonable if you ask me.
Everything is unreasonable until someone does it. A goalie having a sub 2.00 GAA is unreasonable. 90 goals in a season is completely unreasonable. 200 points in a season is unreasonable. Maybe 1.65 is unreasonable. So? If and when he does it, will it be reasonable then?

Old
11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post

This is still less games than any of the partial seasons he's played. He had slumps in them too. I don't think most people were arguing with you that he definitely would hit that PPG, just your idea that he definitely would have hit slumps (despite already hitting them) and it was impossible to keep it up.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:37 PM
FakeKidPoker*

So is this going to die down so many of the "oh well if Crosby could only stay healthy he'd be putting up 140-150 points a year debate)

He is healthy this year.

It just can't be done.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

This is going to be a fun bump when Crosby heats back up and goes on something like a 5 game 13 point streak.

Some people are forgetting how prolific Crosby can be. Its far too early to be writing off his whole season.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:51 PM
LeftTackle51

He'll get hot again and bump it up. Happens every year, don't see the big deal here.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:30 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
This is going to be a fun bump when Crosby heats back up and goes on something like a 5 game 13 point streak.

Some people are forgetting how prolific Crosby can be. Its far too early to be writing off his whole season.
No kidding. He above all other players is a guy who can rip it up and get 20 points in the next five games and make everyone on here look silly.

Old
11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Tripod

Quote:
No kidding. He above all other players is a guy who can rip it up and get 20 points in the next five games and make everyone on here look silly.
I think it's just that Pens fans have been talking about "PACE" for 3 years and it irked those who said "prove it".

Imagine if Sid started with this slump...6 points in 9 games...then got hurt. I bet "PACE" wouldn't matter so much.

Realistically, I would not be surprised to see Sid get 3 points tomorrow against a Flyers team that he always has done well against and if playing the 2nd of a back-to-back and travelling back from Ottawa. He should feast on a tired defense that is already slow.

Closed Thread