HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Commercial breaks are hurting the game.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #176
SweYote
Registered User
 
SweYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Give me a break. It gives me time to do something else for a minute and keeps the uniforms clean. Given how much profit they generate, I don't mind the commercials one bit.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #177
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
This is why I dislike commercial breaks. Say what you want about jersey ads, they don't change the game. Commercial breaks hurt the natural flow of the game and able star players to play more and thus make team depth less significant factor.
Show me a recent Cup winner where depth was not a significant factor.

__________________
You're a curious one, aren't you?
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:50 PM
  #178
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 61,923
vCash: 50
NHL commercials are nothing. You should try watching the NFL.

__________________
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:54 PM
  #179
Kegsey
#joeMONEY
 
Kegsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
I've thought about it, but I'd much rather have commercials than McDonald's logos on players shins.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:08 PM
  #180
Dustin Peener
Prince Ali Mufasa
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,875
vCash: 500
Been saying this for years

The TV-time outs kill all momentum

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:02 PM
  #181
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Show me a recent Cup winner where depth was not a significant factor.
Never said that depth isn't very significant still. Do you think Ryan Suter could keep up his 29:22 TOI/G without commercial breaks?

I know why commercial breaks are there and I know that they aren't going away and I'm not even terribly pissed about those. Just stating the negative effect it has to the game.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:04 PM
  #182
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in the Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 22,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I support this thread. TV timeouts are a rip-off of the fans who pay to go to the game. They also destroy the rhythm of the game.

Why are the playoffs so intense in OT? No commercial interruptions.

Soccer has it down: uninterrupted action with unlimited ads during half time.
Because it's OT in the playoffs...

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:09 PM
  #183
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
So people here are pretty naive. First things first, the NHL has 36 minutes of dead time between periods. Yes, you read that right thirty frickin six minutes, yet they still need to take breaks 3 times during a 20 minutes interval.

Also, soccer is one of the most profitable sports and growing. How can they do it with no commercials?!?

People act like we aren't seeing ads during the actual game play. The ads may not be on the uniforms, but they are all along the boards and now even on the glass. Every little thing throughout the game is also sponsored by some stupid company.

Don't sit here and act like the NHL doesn't over advertise like other sports.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:16 PM
  #184
TacitEndorsement
Registered User
 
TacitEndorsement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
This thread should basically be titled "I'm extremely naive".

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:25 PM
  #185
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Never said that depth isn't very significant still. Do you think Ryan Suter could keep up his 29:22 TOI/G without commercial breaks?

I know why commercial breaks are there and I know that they aren't going away and I'm not even terribly pissed about those. Just stating the negative effect it has to the game.
You implied it makes depth less important, and I don't agree with that.

Arguing that it has a negative impact is highly debatable.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:26 PM
  #186
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
So people here are pretty naive. First things first, the NHL has 36 minutes of dead time between periods. Yes, you read that right thirty frickin six minutes, yet they still need to take breaks 3 times during a 20 minutes interval.

Also, soccer is one of the most profitable sports and growing. How can they do it with no commercials?!?

People act like we aren't seeing ads during the actual game play. The ads may not be on the uniforms, but they are all along the boards and now even on the glass. Every little thing throughout the game is also sponsored by some stupid company.

Don't sit here and act like the NHL doesn't over advertise like other sports.
This was already addressed.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:35 PM
  #187
FlutteringSaucer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You implied it makes depth less important, and I don't agree with that.

Arguing that it has a negative impact is highly debatable.
Due to commercial breaks:
More ice-time for star players = Less ice-time for depth players = Importance of depth players decreases

Yes they are still important but due to extra breaks the importance is less significant.


edit: I know that it isn't a huge difference, just pointing out that it affects the game on quite high level


Last edited by FlutteringSaucer: 11-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:56 PM
  #188
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,232
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
I prefer those to commercials all the ****ing time
Amen Brutha. I'm there to watch hockey, not a fashion show.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:58 PM
  #189
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,232
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Why are the playoffs so intense in OT? Because they're one goal away from winning or losing a playoff game.
Dude, no TV timeouts adds to that. It kills the energy of a game to have the ice girls come out and shovel the ice while Bud Light sells their crap product.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
  #190
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,232
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs21 View Post
Yeah those double commercials drive me crazy... I think we have it pretty good in hockey. TV commercials are just a necessary evil of life
You are a victim of the brainwash. Why are they a necessary evil, and not just evil pure and simple?

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
  #191
Yourself
Registered User
 
Yourself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
If you want them to remove stoppages in play for breaks then a compromise would be that they increase the time a break lasts by 50%. You get the same amount of adverts, yet only two stoppages seems better imo then 3.

Yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 07:02 PM
  #192
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,232
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
It's annoying.. but it's what keeps the adds off the jerseys..
It's really absurd to me that the look of a jersey would validate the loss of intensity.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:03 PM
  #193
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Geographical Oddity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
So people here are pretty naive. First things first, the NHL has 36 minutes of dead time between periods. Yes, you read that right thirty frickin six minutes, yet they still need to take breaks 3 times during a 20 minutes interval.

Also, soccer is one of the most profitable sports and growing. How can they do it with no commercials?!?

People act like we aren't seeing ads during the actual game play. The ads may not be on the uniforms, but they are all along the boards and now even on the glass. Every little thing throughout the game is also sponsored by some stupid company.

Don't sit here and act like the NHL doesn't over advertise like other sports.
The NHL doesn't have any ads on the ice in the defensive/offensive zones. Euro leagues have adds all over every zone on the ice. It's VERY different - and annoying. Jeez, even the faceoff circle gets filled in with color.

or am I just being naive to notice that the NHL neutral zone has 4 "small" ads, while euro league center ice is littered with ads?

and of course not to mention jersey ads...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:58 AM
  #194
Hedning
A New Beginning
 
Hedning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
The NHL doesn't have any ads on the ice in the defensive/offensive zones. Euro leagues have adds all over every zone on the ice. It's VERY different - and annoying. Jeez, even the faceoff circle gets filled in with color.

or am I just being naive to notice that the NHL neutral zone has 4 "small" ads, while euro league center ice is littered with ads?

and of course not to mention jersey ads...
In SHL we have the same 4 "small" ads in the neutral zone, 2 are just "SHL" logos, 1 a team-logo, and the last one, the arenaname. (so, you actually beat us there) Then the faceoff circles have a commercial add (the same in all arenas, and an awful color-scheme) And two ads below each end zone (the same in all arenas) . That's it. But I concur with that awful color in the faceoff circle, never understood that one? Sure, other leagues has it much "worse" But Europe is more than just one "euro league" you know. And SHL is considered one the top ones.

But after that, we atleast don't get fed with commercials for 2.5 hours, and I'm not only just referring to the "TV-Timeouts".


Last edited by Hedning: 11-11-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Hedning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:46 AM
  #195
holyprime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
As a european.. we may have ugly Jersey's and commercial Logo's on ice, but at least we can watch a hockey game and not some kind of advertisement show with some hockey thrown in.

I even have to pay to watch (or use some stream in awful quality) all this nonsense.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  #196
Gemini
Registered User
 
Gemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
As a european.. we may have ugly Jersey's and commercial Logo's on ice, but at least we can watch a hockey game and not some kind of advertisement show with some hockey thrown in.

I even have to pay to watch (or use some stream in awful quality) all this nonsense.
Well I'm a European and I much prefer the 4.5 mins of commercials per a 30-40-minute period over players that look like walking advertisements

Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:30 AM
  #197
bruinsfan001
Registered User
 
bruinsfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
All I know is it gives me time to grab another beer out of the fridge.

bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:34 AM
  #198
a mangy Meowth
#thestructure
 
a mangy Meowth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 4,297
vCash: 50
I agree with the OP. In fact, I agree so much that I think we should just shorten it to 1 period for the whole game (who needs intermissions?), and just have the best players play the whole game with no rests until they die from exhaustion, for my entertainment.

a mangy Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:41 AM
  #199
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,327
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doan Jidion View Post
It's first stoppage after 6/10/14. If the timeouts are only a minute apart, it's because one came at like 8:58 and the next came at 10:01. Sorry and stuff I guess.

I think the breaks are fine.
This.

The worst sport in terms of commercial breaks is the NFL. Its agonizing watching the games at home. Change of possesion, break. Review, break. injury, break. touchdown, break. Ensuing kickoff, break.
NHL has 3 which is perfect. They need to make money with their sponsors anyway and they really could be making more if they upped the breaks. Nothing wrong with how it is now.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
  #200
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Geographical Oddity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
This.

The worst sport in terms of commercial breaks is the NFL. Its agonizing watching the games at home. Change of possesion, break. Review, break. injury, break. touchdown, break. Ensuing kickoff, break. NHL has 3 which is perfect. They need to make money with their sponsors anyway and they really could be making more if they upped the breaks. Nothing wrong with how it is now.
Redzone will cure this.

You can be in and out of the room all day and not miss a thing - and no commercials.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.