HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2014 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Not necessarily. We just had a lot of powerplay time last night so they were on the ice together a lot. 5-on-5 they were separate for the most part outside of a few shifts where the lines had to be mixed after a penalty kill.
Speaking of the powerplay, that setup play for Ehlers curling back to the point/top of the slot for a shot got really predictable after he scored on it in the 1st period. Looked to me that they were together far more than just the PP and in the shuffle after PKs, though. 27 and 24 seemed like a set for most of the night, but maybe that's just because of how relatively invisible Ciampini was despite his 2 assists.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Speaking of the powerplay, that setup play for Ehlers curling back to the point/top of the slot for a shot got really predictable after he scored on it in the 1st period. Looked to me that they were together far more than just the PP and in the shuffle after PKs, though. 27 and 24 seemed like a set for most of the night, but maybe that's just because of how relatively invisible Ciampini was despite his 2 assists.
Yeah the curl got easy to defend. Might be a good idea to send Ehlers or someone right into the middle of the box to give the point a little more space to shoot. And I think it speaks more to Ciampini's invisibility. Ehlers and Andrews were on together a lot on 5-on-5.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Yeah the curl got easy to defend. Might be a good idea to send Ehlers or someone right into the middle of the box to give the point a little more space to shoot. And I think it speaks more to Ciampini's invisibility. Ehlers and Andrews were on together a lot on 5-on-5.
Andrews was a beast last night. Of everyone out there, he gives the greatest impression of "men playing against boys". As for the PP, the curl works well for getting the puck on Ehler's stick, but it's tough to say what's best from that position if the shooting lane is clogged up when he gets it.

A wide pass across the top is risky if the guy at the top of the PK anticipates it, so I think they have to work in a give and go on the near side with Ehlers going straight to the net after dishing it to the side (maybe a guy sliding out from in front of the net to make himself available, and the far guy down low rotating in for the screen?). Both guys should be able to shake their respective defenders and create some cross-ups/hesitation and a bit of open space from that, and it's an easier, maybe even safer, play under pressure for a LH shot curling from the boards toward the middle on that side if the shot's not there.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:10 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Andrews was a beast last night. Of everyone out there, he gives the greatest impression of "men playing against boys". As for the PP, the curl works well for getting the puck on Ehler's stick, but it's tough to say what's best from that position if the shooting lane is clogged up when he gets it.

A wide pass across the top is risky if the guy at the top of the PK anticipates it, so I think they have to work in a give and go on the near side with Ehlers going straight to the net after dishing it to the side (maybe a guy sliding out from in front of the net to make himself available, and the far guy down low rotating in for the screen?). Both guys should be able to shake their respective defenders and create some cross-ups/hesitation and a bit of open space from that, and it's an easier, maybe even safer, play under pressure for a LH shot curling from the boards toward the middle on that side if the shot's not there.
He should be.....Andrews will be 21 in 2 months

Old
11-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Just to clarify, Ehlers plays with Andrews and Ryan 95% of the time at even stregnth. Not sure where the idea that he plays with Drouin regularly outside the PP came from aside from a brief expirement when Jo first got back from Tampa, but that's false. I've been to every home game and watched a couple road games as well.

Old
11-12-2013, 06:43 AM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

Monsieur Button was at Halifax this week-end so today he Will have good news about the boy.

Old
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

here comes the boy. he's now 17th overall. that's right. 17th.

Old
11-13-2013, 02:44 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
3 Beers 1 Cup

it was insane that he was completely forgotten about in pre-season pre-draft rankings

i knew the first time i saw him live that he was a first rounder

Old
11-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Belenos

Well, Craig and others aren't watching the Swiss League good enough. I could have told you that he was a first rounder last february.

Old
11-13-2013, 04:45 PM
ImGoingNucks
Worst Poster Ever xo

vCash: 407
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Just for the lazy people

Old
11-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
They have him listed as a '95 (he's a '96).

I'm a huge fan of Ehlers. Really complete game.

Old
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
ImGoingNucks
Worst Poster Ever xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
They have him listed as a '95 (he's a '96).
Yeah, I noticed that aswell. Oh well..

Old
11-15-2013, 09:09 AM
ImGoingNucks
Worst Poster Ever xo

Finally some mainstream media attention to Ehlers in Denmark.

http://www.bt.dk/ishockey/nikolaj-eh...tormer-mod-nhl

Though saying he could beat Boedkers #8 in the draft may be stretching it a bit

Old
11-15-2013, 10:52 PM
NikoEhlers
Let's Go Nikolaj!!!

vCash: 50
Yea, it could be fun if he ended up anywhere near that, but one shouldnt focus too much on the draft. As long as he has that drive and combined with his talent he makes one of the more interesting talents we've ever had.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:48 AM
ImGoingNucks
Worst Poster Ever xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoEhlers View Post
Yea, it could be fun if he ended up anywhere near that, but one shouldnt focus too much on the draft. As long as he has that drive and combined with his talent he makes one of the more interesting talents we've ever had.
No, ofc not Im just really psyched that a prospect is getting newstime at a Danish mainstream sportssite.. Usually that is reserved for the big guns from NHL. Not even a lot of news from the Euro based players.

That's why it made me happy

Old
11-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Finally some mainstream media attention to Ehlers in Denmark.

http://www.bt.dk/ishockey/nikolaj-eh...tormer-mod-nhl

Though saying he could beat Boedkers #8 in the draft may be stretching it a bit
Yep lot's of hyperbole. They even call Oliver Bjørkstrand a coming NHL star. That might be stretching it a bit. Let him make it to NHL first, but for Danish media if you just play 1 NHL match you are already a star from a Danish viewpoint.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:30 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

From those who have seen him on more than one occasion, who would you compare his playing style to?

I've heard he is a very fast skater, but is he more of a straight line skater or is he shifty and elusive fast? Is equally dangerous as a shooter and a passer?

Has his slight frame hindered him in any way? From what I've heard, he's not afraid of contact and often initiates it.

One poster from Switzerland who had seen him play, says he plays strong on the puck down low in the corners and his puck protection is reminiscent of a young Peter Forsberg. Has he displayed much of this in the Q yet?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. Ehlers is fast becoming one of my favorite prospects and draft hopefuls for my team.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:59 AM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
From those who have seen him on more than one occasion, who would you compare his playing style to?

I've heard he is a very fast skater, but is he more of a straight line skater or is he shifty and elusive fast? Is equally dangerous as a shooter and a passer?

Has his slight frame hindered him in any way? From what I've heard, he's not afraid of contact and often initiates it.

One poster from Switzerland who had seen him play, says he plays strong on the puck down low in the corners and his puck protection is reminiscent of a young Peter Forsberg. Has he displayed much of this in the Q yet?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. Ehlers is fast becoming one of my favorite prospects and draft hopefuls for my team.
His skating is incredible, very shifty, very elusive. If it hadn't been for MacKinnon, I'd say Ehlers is the best skater Halifax has ever had.

His shot is one thing that could use some work. He sometimes will rely more on his stickhandling, instead of just ripping it on net, but he's got time to improve in that area.

He definitely needs to get bigger in stronger for the NHL, but he's on his way in that department. Despite his size, he goes into dirty areas and doesn't back down from physical play. Even had his first QMJHL fight a while back(sort of).

As for the Forsberg comparison, I'm not too sure about that. However, Ehlers does play a very well rounded game. It's not often that one of your best offensive forwards is also one of your best defensive forwards, but that's what Ehlers has brought to Halifax.

He's an all around stud, and has made the transition to NA hockey look easy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a top-10 pick at the draft.

Old
11-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

He reminds me of Parise.

Old
11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
puckfan13

This kid is a simply amazing and breathtaking skater. His shiftiness, agility, acceleration are all at a top 10 NHL level I would say. He is very light, so he obviously has to get stronger, but going in the first 10 picks of the draft is not out of the question at this point.

He can wind up and go end-to-end at any point in a game, shorthanded, powerplay, even-strength. Simply amazing to watch. Not like Taylor Hall either where he looks out of control, very in control with his head up and looking to make plays and moves when he's moving at top speed - extremely, extremely impressive.

I've also seen him lay out or attempt to lay out some big open ice hits which is impressive for how small he is. He uses all his speed to just catch guys with their head down trying to skate up the ice with the puck. Honestly might be the most impressed I've been with a viewing of any prospect in this draft yet. Not saying he's the best player in the draft but he's had one of the most impressive performances - tantalizing skillset.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Cedream

Really impress by how he played in the beginning of the season, never saw him before this year but i didnt expect that much

Old
11-19-2013, 10:16 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

One of the first things always mentioned with Ehlers is his skating and how electrifying he is flying up the ice. How is his skating in comparison to that of former great Pavel Bure? At all similar?

I've always thought Bure's skating was a thing of beauty. He could just kick it into another gear and he was gone. Very explosive, but also watching him skate and stick handle while on the power play in tight quarters, he was always hard on the puck and never stopped moving his legs. That alone made him a handful to deal with.

I'm liking the poster who has given Ehlers the nickname .... Electric EEL. Hope that sticks LOL

Old
11-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
One of the first things always mentioned with Ehlers is his skating and how electrifying he is flying up the ice. How is his skating in comparison to that of former great Pavel Bure? At all similar?

I've always thought Bure's skating was a thing of beauty. He could just kick it into another gear and he was gone. Very explosive, but also watching him skate and stick handle while on the power play in tight quarters, he was always hard on the puck and never stopped moving his legs. That alone made him a handful to deal with.

I'm liking the poster who has given Ehlers the nickname .... Electric EEL. Hope that sticks LOL
Nowhere near Bure but still impressive. His acceleration isn't close to what Mackinnon was but he looks a lot more effortless skating.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:52 AM
NS Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Nowhere near Bure but still impressive. His acceleration isn't close to what Mackinnon was but he looks a lot more effortless skating.
Yeah once he gets going he looks like he is gliding at a speed faster than most on the ice. I saw a few people talk of his great agility - I sort of disagree. It is fine, but IMO he doesn`t quickly changed directly or dart between defenders easily at all. He isn`t shifty basically, he is more straight forward speed skating with a nice shot. It`s not a flaw, but its certainly not a strength yet.

Off the top of my head, he reminds me of Phil Kessel when Kessel is flying up the wing or around the zone.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Very glad he's in the QMJHL this season. Very talented young player and exciting to watch.

At the rate he's going , he's making a case for himself in the top-15.

Closed Thread