HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Do the Oilers take Ekblad?

Old
11-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It shows what happens when you draft 3 forwards first overall and don't improve your defense.

That's when you get the Edmonton Oilers.
Oh c'mon...

In 2010 they selected Taylor Hall. The Dmen taken in the 1st round were (Bolded the best one): Erik Gudbranson, Dylan McIlrath, Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, Derek Forbort, Jarred Tinordi and Mark Pysyk.
Hall > Fowler

In 2011 they selected RNH. The Dmen taken in the 1st round were (Bolded the best one): Adam Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak, Nathan Beaulieu, Oscar Klefbom (EDM), Connor Murphy, Joe Morrow and Stuart Percy.
RNH > Brodin

In 2012 they picked Nail Yakupov. The Dmen taken in the 1st round were: Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Mathew Dumba, Derrick Pouliot, Jacob Trouba, Slater Koekkoek, Cody Ceci, Olli Maatta, Michael Matheson, Jordan Schmaltz and Brady Skjei.

In 2013 they selected the best Dman available (Darnell Nurse).

Are you suggesting that there is a Dman mentioned better than the forward they picked in the same year? Because if you are, you are wrong.

There isn't a single GM who has one any of those Dman that wouldn't say yes in a heartbeat if Edmonton was offering their 1st overall forward from the same draft year 1-for-1. Especially with Hall and Nuge. Yes the jury is out on Yakupov but it's too early.. and too small of a sample size this year. Last year Yak was easily the better player of the names listed for 2012. Lets revisit that in a year or so.

Their problem has been drafting outside the 1st round... where MANY Dmen are found. They haven't found a guy like Travis Hamonic in the 2nd round and they needed to.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:53 AM
wahoyaho

They haven't brought in the right support cast to guide the young players out of this loser mentality

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:07 PM
caley

I'm actually inclined to think the Oilers should take one of the big forwards from the OHL: Michael Dal Colle, Brendan Perlini or especially Nick Ritchie. Defencemen are acquirable, power forwards are near impossible to find.

11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
That strategy has clearly worked for the Oilers so far
Just because the Oilers suck now doesn't mean they made the wrong choices.

Drafting the consensus BPA at 1st overall was one of the few things the Oilers have gotten right in the past decade.

If Ekblad is the BPA at the Oilers pick come draft time, I hope they take him.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 02:55 PM
tony d
Summer Camp

They should absolutely draft Ekblad if they get the #2 pick.

11-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Oh c'mon...

In 2010 they selected Taylor Hall. The Dmen taken in the 1st round were (Bolded the best one): Erik Gudbranson, Dylan McIlrath, Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, Derek Forbort, Jarred Tinordi and Mark Pysyk.
Hall > Fowler

In 2011 they selected RNH. The Dmen taken in the 1st round were (Bolded the best one): Adam Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak, Nathan Beaulieu, Oscar Klefbom (EDM), Connor Murphy, Joe Morrow and Stuart Percy.
RNH > Brodin

In 2012 they picked Nail Yakupov. The Dmen taken in the 1st round were: Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Mathew Dumba, Derrick Pouliot, Jacob Trouba, Slater Koekkoek, Cody Ceci, Olli Maatta, Michael Matheson, Jordan Schmaltz and Brady Skjei.

In 2013 they selected the best Dman available (Darnell Nurse).

Are you suggesting that there is a Dman mentioned better than the forward they picked in the same year? Because if you are, you are wrong.

There isn't a single GM who has one any of those Dman that wouldn't say yes in a heartbeat if Edmonton was offering their 1st overall forward from the same draft year 1-for-1. Especially with Hall and Nuge. Yes the jury is out on Yakupov but it's too early.. and too small of a sample size this year. Last year Yak was easily the better player of the names listed for 2012. Lets revisit that in a year or so.

Their problem has been drafting outside the 1st round... where MANY Dmen are found. They haven't found a guy like Travis Hamonic in the 2nd round and they needed to.
People thought they should have taken Ryan Murray over Yakupov or traded down to acquire one of Reinhart, Murray, Rielly, Trouba or Lindholm. They were very high on both Reinhart and Murray at the time of the draft as well. They all but confirmed Murray, Reinhart & Yakupov were their top 3. That was the main mistake they made.

No one objected to drafting Taylor Hall (except for those who wanted Seguin), the RNH was pretty much the same thing, it's the Yakupov draft that started this.

FWIW: I would also argue RNH=Brodin, but no one would have expected that...hindsights 20/20. The best D available (at the time) was Larsson.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
If Ekblad is available when we pick, then it should be a no-brainer.

If he has been picked already when we're up, then I'd like to see McTavish picking Nick Ritchie or maybe Jake Virtanen. A power forward instead of a skill guy.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 04:22 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I guess if he's available when they pick the Oilers should take him. Otherwise, they should seriously consider trading their pick this year - especially if it's out of the top 3. They need NHL ready players who can help them. Not even more prospects with their speculative nature.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
They haven't brought in the right support cast to guide the young players out of this loser mentality
I 100% agree. I am not an Edmonton fan, but let's look at this.

Look at their roster right now. Beside the young kids, look who they have surrounded them with. Hemsky, Smyth, and Horcoff were the vets for the kids to learn from.

Now look at Pittsburgh after drafting Whitney, Fleury, Malkin, Sid, and Staal in consecutive years in the top 5. Pittsburgh helped these kids with vets like Recchi, Roberts, Gonchar, LeClair, Thibault. Then still had great support players like Talbot, Armstrong, Scuderi, Orpik, Christensen and also Michel Oulette who had 48 points yet I cannot remember him...lol.

The Oilers mgt have not put in the support system to help the kids. They get the blame but they have no one to look up to as winners to learn from. And that is the Mgt fault, not the kids.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Reinhart

Reinhart would be a good choice for them as well. Provides a big one-two punch with RNH, and is a strong two-way center.

However, in the 'win-now' moment, they should probably go and trade that pick for solid vets to fill some holes. Even two separate trades involving Yak or Eberle and their 1st would go a heck of a long way to righting that ship (and I think Yak is going to be a stud).

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
That strategy has clearly worked for the Oilers so far
They're supposed to all hit their prime within a year or two?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
TheOllieC
imo

vCash: 600
They should have drafted Murray

TheOllieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Canadian Canuck
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 100
IF the Oilers get 1st overall they will trade it or draft Ekblad obviously/

Canadian Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Broad Street Elite

I'm not at all convinced that Ekblad is the BPA. It is possible, but there are some players showing a level of dominance that Ekblad doesn't consistently show. He's certainly the "sexy" name and may finish as the obvious top selection, but it's early.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
What a waste of talent Edmonton has been. They've had their crack at top picks. Time to move the team to Colorado.
How talented are their first overalls anyway? Looking at the post-lockout first overalls, Hall, RNH and Yakupov are multiple tiers below Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Kane. Hall comes in a notch below Tavares. Outside of Johnson they have the weakest picks of the era.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 10:20 PM
McFlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'm not at all convinced that Ekblad is the BPA. It is possible, but there are some players showing a level of dominance that Ekblad doesn't consistently show. He's certainly the "sexy" name and may finish as the obvious top selection, but it's early.
I don't know he's exactly the type of D oilers need. Big, good defensively, good offensive instincts and shot, and the ability to be physical and move the puck. He may not be flashy like Jones, but he's definitely comparable to Pietrangelo (albeit he likely doesn't have as much offence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How talented are their first overalls anyway? Looking at the post-lockout first overalls, Hall, RNH and Yakupov are multiple tiers below Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Kane. Hall comes in a notch below Tavares. Outside of Johnson they have the weakest picks of the era.
A little early to say that about RNH and Yak. Let RNH play a season or 2 with his new shoulder and let Yak figure his way out of this slump (he hasn't even played a full 82 games yet). Then you can match them up against the other players on that list. Lets not forget RNH looked like absolute dynamite in his first season until he missed time on that fluke shoulder injury.

McFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 10:56 PM
SMantzas
Swoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I don't think it's a set up. It's a legit question. And given how even you said "They would/should take Ekblad.", sounds like even you realize they could definitely be taking a forward.
He's the same person who said the oilers would take Nichushkin before Nurse

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Man Bear Pig

Use the pick to get Shea Weber.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 11:23 PM
VerySuperFamous

I'd say none of the D would help them that much.

Fowler has/had the RPG line and Selanne/Koivu as well as some decent to good role players and prospects to play behind. One could argue he's top pairing but atm he doesn't help as much as Hall.

Brodin would likely struggle in the Oiler's system, or lack thereof. Even still he wouldn't fix the Oilers by himself even if his offense growth continues. Playing on the Oilers would probably stunt his growth.

Murray be the same as Brodin.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 11:32 PM
plikestechno

It's a long season. I think Florida, Buffalo and Calgary will finish below us for sure. Maybe a couple of others. Whoever the BPA is, that's who the Oilers should draft. BPA always.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:34 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
They should absolutely draft Ekblad if they get the #2 pick.
He would be perfect fit for the Oilers. If Ekblad is gone and the BPA is a forward, they make take a Dal Colle and move Yakupov out. Dal Colle is a winner. Unselfish quality player.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:16 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
I don't know he's exactly the type of D oilers need. Big, good defensively, good offensive instincts and shot, and the ability to be physical and move the puck. He may not be flashy like Jones, but he's definitely comparable to Pietrangelo (albeit he likely doesn't have as much offence).
I'm not sure the gap between Ekblad and Haydn Fleury is all that big to be honest. Ekblad might be meaner and a little better defensively, but Fleury's a better skater and better offensive instincts.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:07 AM
McFlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm not sure the gap between Ekblad and Haydn Fleury is all that big to be honest. Ekblad might be meaner and a little better defensively, but Fleury's a better skater and better offensive instincts.
I still think Ekblad is a much better fit for edmonton. Perfect 2-way dman who's physical with a big shot. His offence has improved this year and could easily continue to do so in the coming years. Would complete the oilers top 4 for the future with one of the following pairings

Nurse Ekblad
Klefbom Schultz

or

Nurse Schultz
Klefbom Ekblad

4 very good skaters, 4 good puck-movers, 2 big and mean physical presences. I don't think I could ask for much more out of a top 4.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:58 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post

FWIW: I would also argue RNH=Brodin, but no one would have expected that...hindsights 20/20. The best D available (at the time) was Larsson.
There is no way Minnesota trades Brodin for RNH.

Brodin was seen as having probably the highest ceiling for defensemen (Hamilton could be argued) with Larsson being the most rounded and NHL ready but with a lower ceiling.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:11 AM
McFlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
There is no way Minnesota trades Brodin for RNH.

Brodin was seen as having probably the highest ceiling for defensemen (Hamilton could be argued) with Larsson being the most rounded and NHL ready but with a lower ceiling.
I don't think there's anyway the oilers trade RNH for Brodin either. He's a great dman, but he just doesn't have enough offence imo.