HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2013, 12:23 AM
  #126
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Give credit where it's due. There was a vocal handful who were very upset at the timing and the details of the extension.

This was in so many ways an avoidable catastrophe. DD had no leverage whatsoever, if he was extended for 2 years at 3.5 we wouldn't be caring so much but at 4 years he's really anchored himself and it's clear that it's affecting him as well.

All that said, his play was brutal last season as well. He fell off just like Gomez did, but at least Gomez was a winner and an NHL player. DD is nothing.


Great intelligence on display there, champ.

edit: This board, like all of sports fandom, has a strong and evident anti-intellectual slant. It's run MathMan away despite him bringing tons of evidence to every argument, now apparently PhDs and other educated folk are going to get their degrees and experienced thrown back at them by a bunch of petulant children. Sad.
not my fault people NEEDING to be reminded of such simplistic concepts, capitaine.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 12:32 AM
  #127
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
edit: This board, like all of sports fandom, has a strong and evident anti-intellectual slant. It's run MathMan away despite him bringing tons of evidence to every argument, now apparently PhDs and other educated folk are going to get their degrees and experienced thrown back at them by a bunch of petulant children. Sad.

you think way too highly of yourself le grand, you're Elvis Gratton chef, nothing more.

Your name fits you well JD.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 12:44 AM
  #128
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.
 
thaivuN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
very Gomez like.
Even Gomez shot the puck more often than Desharnais

thaivuN is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 12:48 AM
  #129
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
Even Gomez shot the puck more often than Desharnais
same pattern though, Gomez was a great passer, mostly gliding in the offensive zone waiting for someone to pass the puck to... once he got figured out, his whole game disappeared.

DD is the same, his moves dont work anymore and he cannot adjust, the moves he was doing were the only one he could execute well... he got figured out, cannot adjust (he tries though) therefore, at the end of his contract he'll be out of the NHL or have maybe a team or two gambling on him for a year at minimum salary.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 12:53 AM
  #130
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
It's not the first time I see you do this, and honestly you should drop it.

You're not showing any more hockey knowledge (or any less for that matter) than the average poster here, considering this you're pretty quick when it comes to criticise other people's judgement, even laugh at other people's intelligence.

lest not forget school doesnt get people intelligence, it gets them an education, that is all.
Nobody is talking about education, just you. BTW: Lyrical has an engineering degree. Nor is it about intelligence, though we are lucky as there are plenty of intelligent people on this board.

It is about attitude and desire. When you are severely wrong about something -- which happens to everyone, all the time -- you should reflect on it. Lyrical clearly considers this important as he is going around insulting people. It is the wrong approach, but whatever, his loss. In principal, failure can be the greatest form of education.

It would actually be very informative for the former Desharnais defenders (and sometimes Eller skeptics) to think about how and why they were wrong, and to write it out.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 12:54 AM
  #131
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
same pattern though, Gomez was a great passer, mostly gliding in the offensive zone waiting for someone to pass the puck to... once he got figured out, his whole game disappeared.

DD is the same, his moves dont work anymore and he cannot adjust, the moves he was doing were the only one he could execute well... he got figured out, cannot adjust (he tries though) therefore, at the end of his contract he'll be out of the NHL or have maybe a team or two gambling on him for a year at minimum salary.
Well said, he's been figured out and neutralizing him isn't exceptionally hard.

Most good talent evaluators can see that flaw in him game early on.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:09 AM
  #132
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Nobody is talking about education, just you. BTW: Lyrical has an engineering degree. Nor is it about intelligence, though we are lucky as there are plenty of intelligent people on this board.

It is about attitude and desire. When you are severely wrong about something -- which happens to everyone, all the time -- you should reflect on it. Lyrical clearly considers this important as he is going around insulting people. It is the wrong approach, but whatever, his loss. In principal, failure can be the greatest form of education.

It would actually be very informative for the former Desharnais defenders (and sometimes Eller skeptics) to think about how and why they were wrong, and to write it out.
#1 I said you hid under a rock for 14 games. If you're offended or insulted, it's probably because it's true.

#2 You were too busy to respond but did bring up Bergevin using "character" in his sentences. How's that going for you? Is it time for self-reflection at how ridiculous that is or will you push till he gets fired after his shelf life is over like any other GM/Coach?

At no point did I insult you. What name did I call you? In fact, you responded with calling me confused and having irrational arguments after I remarked you've been in hiding regarding Eller during his slump. That's when I pointed out your irrational thread.

Still, you had time to give me a lecture from your high horse. Let me know when you realize how 'severely wrong' you were about that thread. Then maybe, your lectures will mean something.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:10 AM
  #133
Beendair Donedat
Registered User
 
Beendair Donedat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,673
vCash: 500
Montreal Mayor, Dennis Coderre tweeted that he should be sent to Hamilton lol

Beendair Donedat is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:15 AM
  #134
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Montreal Mayor, Dennis Coderre tweeted that he should be sent to Hamilton lol
Which is hilarious(in a funny way, not bad way).

I've said it before, I wish he was benched for more than 1 game. From a perspective of rejuvenating his career I highly doubt 1 game of press box perspective will make him hungry or wiser enough.

In addition, considering re-entry does not exist, Hamilton may be a realistic option but it may also damage him further. Hopefully, it's done with the proper message, that it's up to him to bounce back and get confidence, not that it's over.

I say "not over" because it's too soon to pull the plug. Not because he doesn't suck but because since you can't someone out mid year it's probably worth being cautious but not reactionary. With 75% of the season and playoffs left, you never know when you need a depth forward. Also, the buyout cost isn't pretty so it's worth investing a little further, be it in Hamilton or the press box.

In DD's case, it's reaching a point where all options are exhausted and his NHL career may depend on him going back to the basics and joining Hamilton.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:19 AM
  #135
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
same pattern though, Gomez was a great passer, mostly gliding in the offensive zone waiting for someone to pass the puck to... once he got figured out, his whole game disappeared.

DD is the same, his moves dont work anymore and he cannot adjust, the moves he was doing were the only one he could execute well... he got figured out, cannot adjust (he tries though) therefore, at the end of his contract he'll be out of the NHL or have maybe a team or two gambling on him for a year at minimum salary.
DD doesn't even shoot anymore. It's kind of pathetic. I know the guy can't dominate into traffic but get a shot on net, guys like pacioretty, bourque or whoever he's lined up with can get a rebound. Keep it simple, get shots on net. I remember on PP he got the puck, had a chance to make a play but no confidence, just passed it back to the point.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:28 AM
  #136
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 500
A question i havent seen answered yet, if DD is sent to the minors, does his salary still count against the cap under the new CBA?

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:31 AM
  #137
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
A question i havent seen answered yet, if DD is sent to the minors, does his salary still count against the cap under the new CBA?
Only first 900k is covered, the rest will count on cap.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 01:34 AM
  #138
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Only first 900k is covered, the rest will count on cap.
Wasn't this rule for 5m $+ contracts only?

So we're better buying him out actually.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 02:24 AM
  #139
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
#1 I said you hid under a rock for 14 games. If you're offended or insulted, it's probably because it's true.

#2 You were too busy to respond but did bring up Bergevin using "character" in his sentences. How's that going for you? Is it time for self-reflection at how ridiculous that is or will you push till he gets fired after his shelf life is over like any other GM/Coach?

At no point did I insult you. What name did I call you? In fact, you responded with calling me confused and having irrational arguments after I remarked you've been in hiding regarding Eller during his slump. That's when I pointed out your irrational thread.

Still, you had time to give me a lecture from your high horse. Let me know when you realize how 'severely wrong' you were about that thread. Then maybe, your lectures will mean something.
I was not hiding under a rock, I was simply not responding to every single post. I will continue not responding to most posts :-) in any case, other people were adequately refuting your anti eller argument, I think it was Et Le But, so I had nothing to add.

As for character and bergevin, my position stands and is agreed upon by a large swath of the forum, the blogosphere, and ironically, Bergevin himself. I acknowledged being right by bumping the thread.

One thing I was wrong about was the 2013 tank. I wrote a long post exploring it in one of the tank threads.

Anyway, you were wrong about Desharnais and Eller. It remains to be seen if you ever explore why your judgment failed you. Inquiring minds want to know. You are a smart guy, you invested a lot of time thinking about Desharnais and Eller, and you were incorrect. What went wrong?

DAChampion is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 02:26 AM
  #140
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Montreal Mayor, Dennis Coderre tweeted that he should be sent to Hamilton lol
Has this ever happened before?

DAChampion is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 03:27 AM
  #141
Saintpatrick
Registered User
 
Saintpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Don't we get a 3rd amnesty buyout sometime in the next couple of years? Seriously though DD had to work hard to get to the NHL level I think he's forgotten that. 1 game in the press box acomplishes absolutely jack. Send him to Hamilton and let him earn his way back to the NHL if he can. Bring up Leblanc and see what he can do

If i was in Hamilton fighting my way to get to the show and I saw some other guy coasting and doing nothing yet getting preferential treatment I'd be pissed.

Saintpatrick is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 05:28 AM
  #142
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Nobody is talking about education, just you. BTW: Lyrical has an engineering degree. Nor is it about intelligence, though we are lucky as there are plenty of intelligent people on this board.

It is about attitude and desire. When you are severely wrong about something -- which happens to everyone, all the time -- you should reflect on it. Lyrical clearly considers this important as he is going around insulting people. It is the wrong approach, but whatever, his loss. In principal, failure can be the greatest form of education.

It would actually be very informative for the former Desharnais defenders (and sometimes Eller skeptics) to think about how and why they were wrong, and to write it out.
you're doing it again.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 05:34 AM
  #143
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
DD doesn't even shoot anymore. It's kind of pathetic. I know the guy can't dominate into traffic but get a shot on net, guys like pacioretty, bourque or whoever he's lined up with can get a rebound. Keep it simple, get shots on net. I remember on PP he got the puck, had a chance to make a play but no confidence, just passed it back to the point.

That's pretty much it, he got figured out, so to speak, and he has no solution.

It's harder for guys like him (and Gomez), they were very very good at one or two things only, their toolbox is really small, so when that one or two tricks that made em reach the NHL stop working, well they become totally useless.

In their particular case it's not even about fundamentals like others tried to argue, it's as simple as knowing only two tricks and failing at doing both 100% of the time. They never practiced a third one.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:05 AM
  #144
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,635
vCash: 1000
Well DD should ask Parros for some advice and quickly learn how to fight so he can become the Habs new goon if he wants to stay in the NHL...

Ice Poutine is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:17 AM
  #145
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you're doing it again.
Indeed.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:22 AM
  #146
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Indeed.
Not surprised to see I was right.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:30 AM
  #147
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
He is worse than Gomez ever was. Gomez could at least skate the puck into the zone and occasionally slap one at the goalies chest.

Ezpz is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:36 AM
  #148
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
He is worse than Gomez ever was. Gomez could at least skate the puck into the zone and occasionally slap one at the goalies chest.
Gomez had 11 points in 38 games playing 14 minutes a game including 2 minutes of PP time, a little less than DD. That's ~500% more productive than DD.

It's good though that DD is playing less well than Gomez. He might actually be removed from the team, let's be honest, if Desharnais had more luck and was at 5 points rather than 1 point, he probably would be getting a free pass.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:36 AM
  #149
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I was not hiding under a rock, I was simply not responding to every single post. I will continue not responding to most posts :-) in any case, other people were adequately refuting your anti eller argument, I think it was Et Le But, so I had nothing to add.

As for character and bergevin, my position stands and is agreed upon by a large swath of the forum, the blogosphere, and ironically, Bergevin himself. I acknowledged being right by bumping the thread.

One thing I was wrong about was the 2013 tank. I wrote a long post exploring it in one of the tank threads.

Anyway, you were wrong about Desharnais and Eller. It remains to be seen if you ever explore why your judgment failed you. Inquiring minds want to know. You are a smart guy, you invested a lot of time thinking about Desharnais and Eller, and you were incorrect. What went wrong?
Oh well, you had a chance to learn from your failure.

Let's move on now. There's no common ground.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 06:40 AM
  #150
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Let's move on now. There's no common ground.
I said it partly on a whim at first, but in hindsight, it would actually be interesting to see you explore what errors in judgment could have led you to believe in DD to the extent you did.

DAChampion is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.