HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2013, 12:14 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Demko and Nedeljkovic are pretty solid goalie prospects.

Old
11-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
What really concerns me is how MacT plans to address his desire to upgrade the goaltending pipeline. This draft seems awfully weak between the pipes.
I think we'll be seeing forays into Europe to stock the pipeline rather than the draft. MacT had numerous opportunities to draft a goaltender (I was so sure he was going to take Comrie before he traded down in the second round... again) but chose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Demko and Nedeljkovic are pretty solid goalie prospects.
I like Ned alot. He'd be on my list for the second rounder we inevitably get from a Hemsky trade or, dare I say, a Nick Schultz trade?

Old
11-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Slicknitty
0 to 30th Real Quick

vCash: 391
are we stuck with these turds for the next 30 years?

Old
11-08-2013, 03:05 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I was just thinking today...

I can't see the Sabres draftin Ekblad if they get the first overall pick. I could see Philly going for him... but if we ended up drafthing him we'd have a serious problem.

He's easily the highest ranked draft eligible d-man at the next draft.
That means it'll be expected the he plays as an 18 year old.
That means we're giving minutes to some kid with no NHL experience while we're supposed to be moving forward.

I see a pattern, don't you?

Would it be crazy to say that with the except of drafting the likes of Doughty, Crosby and Ovechkin that you'd be nuts to let an 18 year old play on your team unless you were tanking the season for more early picks?

Old
11-08-2013, 04:21 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
When that 18 year old could be your best defenseman, I don't think so.

Old
11-08-2013, 08:38 AM
DousedInOil

My only concern is that we could be running three rookies next year on our blueline if we do in fact get Ekblad.

Nurse-Ekblad
Klefbom-Petry
Smid-Ference

That's a very inexperienced group all at once.

Old
11-08-2013, 09:00 AM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
My only concern is that we could be running three rookies next year on our blueline if we do in fact get Ekblad.

Nurse-Ekblad
Klefbom-Petry
Smid-Ference

That's a very inexperienced group all at once.
Fedun could also make the team. He wouldn't be considered a rookie but still very inexperienced
I'd rather pair our rookies up with veterans

Smid/Ekblad
Nurse/Petry
Ference/J.Schultz
Fedun or Klefbom

Old
11-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

I can't see the Sabres draftin Ekblad if they get the first overall pick. I could see Philly going for him... but if we ended up drafthing him we'd have a serious problem.

That means we're giving minutes to some kid with no NHL experience while we're supposed to be moving forward.

Would it be crazy to say that with the except of drafting the likes of Doughty, Crosby and Ovechkin that you'd be nuts to let an 18 year old play on your team unless you were tanking the season for more early picks?
I'd hope that Nurse comes in and dominates. If he does then it would be easy to justify returning Ekblad to junior. Tampa managed to return Drouin to junior without even letting him play a game so they shouldn't feel forced even without Nurse's help.

Old
11-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Fedun could also make the team. He wouldn't be considered a rookie but still very inexperienced
I'd rather pair our rookies up with veterans

Smid/Ekblad
Nurse/Petry
Ference/J.Schultz
Fedun or Klefbom
Fedun's been making a seamless transition imo. He's quite well rounded and playing with confidence and poise. Hmm...a player that's been developed. Interesting.

Old
11-08-2013, 01:05 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:

Ekblad and Petry would be better than any other first pairing we could put together, 18 years old or not. It's not really tanking if it's actually the best you can do.

Old
11-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Michael Dal Colle is a ****ing stud.

Old
11-08-2013, 02:34 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Fedun's been making a seamless transition imo. He's quite well rounded and playing with confidence and poise. Hmm...a player that's been developed. Interesting.
yeah, they should trade smid. As much as the guy is a total warrior...he would be a best in the playoffs....

he needs to go to make a spot for fedun/nurse/klefa/marincin/ekblad...unless nick schultz has value.

Old
11-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
When that 18 year old could be your best defenseman, I don't think so.
This.

But if we're breaking in Ekblad and Nurse/Klefbom... that's going to be a hurting year most likely. J.Schultz, Petry, and Ference as our only NHL defensemen under contract. Likely screwed anyways I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Michael Dal Colle is a ****ing stud.
5 assists one night, hat-trick tonight. I was pushing Bennett as a contender to make it "The big 3", but MDC is shoving Bennett out of the way and going for cream of the OHL crop.

I hope Florida has a desired to draft a forward. Buffalo I think would bypass Ekblad for a forward, even if they got leapt via lottery draft.

Old
11-09-2013, 10:02 PM
duul

vCash: 169
If we get Ekblad next year I think our lineup will look a little like this:

Nurse-Petry
Ference-Ekblad
Belov-J.Schultz

Nurse is already better than anyone else we have and Ekblad would be just as good if we get him. That's how awful our D is.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

It would be amazing to add Ekblad to our roster. It would fortify our defense long into the future. Having Ekblad, Nurse, Shultz, Petry, Larsen and perhaps Klefbom and Marincin would put this team on a very solid foundation for the future. Solve the problem in net (Brossoit and ???), add some additional size and physicality up front (Zharkov, Khaira, Moroz, McCarron, Pitlick, Yakimov may fit the bill and Chase is a feisty agitator with a scoring touch), and this team looks like it is in very good shape for a long and legitimate run as a perennial contender in this league for many years.

I still contend that the team would be a lot further along, if it had been built from the goaltender out, rather than the forwards back, but the end result still looks very positive. It's the road that it has taken to get there that has been painstakingly difficult for fans of the club. The draft may be the best thing (the only thing) to come out of the season. As bad as this team is now, and it is very very bad, the future still seems solid, chalked full of promise. Onward and upward.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
It would be amazing to add Ekblad to our roster. It would fortify our defense long into the future. Having Ekblad, Nurse, Shultz, Petry, Larsen and perhaps Klefbom and Marincin would put this team on a very solid foundation for the future.
How can you be so sure of that? Can you expect him to learn to be a winner in Edmonton? Who will he have to mentor him? What does Edmonton have that's going to take an 18 year old stud of a d-man and turn him into a Norris winner 4-5 years down the line?

We either need a coach with a good reputation for getting results out of players or to make a move to acquire an ESTABLISHED #1 d-man so that someone can be there to insure that he develops properly.

A good example of this would be Adam Larsson. Sports analysts couldn't stop ranting and raving about this guy before he was drafted and now it's looking like Devils fans would be lucky for him to turn into a good #2 d-man.

You can't blame him. He's just had nobody to show him the way to the next level.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:35 AM
oilersfan11

A question should be posted for Oiler fans:

If the Oilers pick first overall,would you pick Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad?

Old
11-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Soundwave

Can Dal Colle play center? Some sites list him as a C.

I'd take Ekblad over Reinhart, but we could use a Reinhart as well.

Old
11-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
A question should be posted for Oiler fans:

Right now? Easily Ekblad, but its still early and a lot can change between now and June.

Old
11-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Roof Daddy

With all that's gone wrong with our team on the ice, I'm hoping for a little luck in this scenario:

Nurse and Ekblad are paired together at the WJC and click instantly.

The Greyhounds see this and trade for Ekblad. Win Memorial Cup.

We win the draft lottery and get Ekblad.

We let them play one more year together in junior. Nurse needs more time to properly build his frame anyway.

That would be ideal. That's why I don't get pissed off with getting jobbed by the refs lately, it's all going to work out in the end.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
With all that's gone wrong with our team on the ice, I'm hoping for a little luck in this scenario:

Nurse and Ekblad are paired together at the WJC and click instantly.

The Greyhounds see this and trade for Ekblad. Win Memorial Cup.

We win the draft lottery and get Ekblad.

We let them play one more year together in junior. Nurse needs more time to properly build his frame anyway.

That would be ideal. That's why I don't get pissed off with getting jobbed by the refs lately, it's all going to work out in the end.
Sure, just liked it's worked out for the last 4 years. I'd say at this rate we'll be a good team in another 14 years or so...But wait, some of the #1's may be retired by then, eh, so it'll have to continue...for ever...and ever..and...

Old
11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
How can you be so sure of that? Can you expect him to learn to be a winner in Edmonton? Who will he have to mentor him? What does Edmonton have that's going to take an 18 year old stud of a d-man and turn him into a Norris winner 4-5 years down the line?

We either need a coach with a good reputation for getting results out of players or to make a move to acquire an ESTABLISHED #1 d-man so that someone can be there to insure that he develops properly.

A good example of this would be Adam Larsson. Sports analysts couldn't stop ranting and raving about this guy before he was drafted and now it's looking like Devils fans would be lucky for him to turn into a good #2 d-man.

You can't blame him. He's just had nobody to show him the way to the next level.
Who showed Weber and Suter? Keith and Seabrook? Chara? Pieterangelo?

I'm not gonna say that having a mentor or that playing behind a sound top pairing defenseman doesn't help, but it's not causative.

It would have been nice if we could have put together a top pairing to soak up all the hard matchups while the kids develop that didn't get slaughtered. Petry-Smid was that for a while. Le sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
No question I take Ekblad. With our forward set-up? No question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Can Dal Colle play center? Some sites list him as a C.
He's been playing almost exclusively at LW. Some shifts at center for injury or match penalty situations in game. I think he could play center in the future. He's absolutely surging up the rankings.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I know Buffalo is stacked on D with regards to prospects, but Ekblad looks like the current BPA. Are we certain they'd pass on him?

I think there is a very real possibility that we might be choosing from one of the forward prospects in the draft (I have my doubts that we reach for a D-man or trade down).

11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I know Buffalo is stacked on D with regards to prospects, but Ekblad looks like the current BPA. Are we certain they'd pass on him?

I think there is a very real possibility that we might be choosing from one of the forward prospects in the draft (I have my doubts that we reach for a D-man or trade down).
I think conventional wisdom states that if you're picking at the top of the draft, you take a forward. I think we know this to be true. We're just in a situation where we should draft for need, and need just happens to be that 6'4 Manchild on the blue line. How perfect.

I fully expect Buffalo to take Reinhart or any of the surging forward contenders (Dal Colle right now... was Bennett before him). They're struggling so hard to fill the net and their defensecore is ridiculous. I just can't see them taking another defensemen after Ristolainen and Zadarov previously.

Florida I'm worried about. I hope they're stung from taking Gudbranson, but IMO their forward cupboard looks pretty good. They surprised taking Barkov though over Jones, so who knows.

We've seen defensemen fall in the top end of the draft too. Larsson, Jones; and Ekblad isn't as offensively dynamic as Jones is (although dat cannon... mph) Maybe that tradition continues and we luck out at 3 or 4.

If Ekblad isn't there, we need to fill a 2nd line center/Top-6 forward prospect hole. Someone who's big and competes hard. Dal Colle looks like a fit.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
GMofOilers

Cant believe are at this point already in the season.

So sad

Closed Thread