HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stopping on un-natural side

Old
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Slick

vCash: 500
Stopping on un-natural side

We were taking a break during a pick up game today and I thought about trying learn to stop on my un-natural side (I usually stop by making my skates face right, so I tried making them face left and stop), and it definently wont be something that comes easy. I was wondering how important you guys think it is, how you learned to do it, etc.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

It will be a bit tough at first because your left skate blade won't be as well sharpened because of the lack of use. Just turn your feet and stop. It definitely won't be graceful at first, but it takes a while.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:50 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Depends what level of play. In low adult, beer leauge you can get away with being good on one side...but once you get in higher level play guys are much faster and you'll find yourself spinning around the wrong way to stop which will cost you a step or two on the opponent. I'm not that great doing it still, but something you get used to after a while. I liken it to skiing, where I can stop both ways after lots of time on skis.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Gino 14

It's important to learn both ways, just like you need to be able to skate left and right. There's no way you can elevate your play if you are not able to stop both ways. You'll have to force yourself to do it for a while and then it will start to come more naturally. Try doing crossovers to your weak side to get yourself used to the feel and expand from there.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:46 AM
EmptyNetter

Can I assume you're a right wing with a right handed shot? If you play in a lot of pickup games it will let you play more positions more effectively.
  • Intercepting/receiving a pass -- You can only stop facing right but the other team's clearing pass will go by you on your left. If you can stop or pivot to your left you can receive the pass on your backhand.
  • Getting separation from a defender -- You've got a defender on your right who's playing you very close. Stop on your left and skate free, giving you open space to receive a pass.

In short, there are enough scenarios to make it a valuable skill. Anyway, you might be stopping on your natural side so comfortably that you're not aware of how you're doing it. Do a few stops on your natural side and take note of how your body weight is balanced, how far apart your feet are, etc. Try to copy this but facing the other direction. Rinse, repeat.

As a drill you can skate from one blue line to the other blue line. When you reach the other blue line, stop with you facing one side of the rink. Skate back to the other blue line and stop facing that same side of the rink. Keep doing this until you start to feel comfortable (or you collapse from fatigue). To challenge yourself you can skate faster and make harder stops or you can use the blue line and the red (center) line to make quicker stops and develop your agility.

As Gino 14 mentioned, if prefer to stop on one side you probably prefer to turn in one direction, too. After always skating counter-clockwise at the public rink I'm a pro at turning left. I'm comfortable stopping in either direction but my right crossovers are a bit off.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
We were taking a break during a pick up game today and I thought about trying learn to stop on my un-natural side (I usually stop by making my skates face right, so I tried making them face left and stop), and it definently wont be something that comes easy. I was wondering how important you guys think it is, how you learned to do it, etc.
Very important as it also better helps your balance when pivoting in that direction, will make you an all around better skater and improve your confidence on skates.

Repetition worked for me on my weak side. In one public skating session, I spent 90minutes just doing it one time after the other. I didn't care if I fell, got wet or bruised, which I did btw. I just wanted to learn it once and for all after neglecting my weak side for years. If you fall, that means you're realy trying. Just be careful.

Now you will be able to spray-stop your opposing goaltender no matter which way you stop.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:41 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
think about it. You are playing RW or are on the right side of the rink. You are chasing down the puck and need to stop quickly. You don't want to stop by turning yourself back up ice, or face to the wall, especially if you are in a race with someone.

I shoot right and my strong side is to the left. There have been times where coming into the zone on the off wing and stopping (skates to the right) makes for a good offensive play. At that point I can either shoot, pass, or take it to the net. If I do this many times the guy coming from behind will blow my me and the defender moving back has to stop and move forward to cover me.

I can't do it very well but I can do it enough to get by. I end doing a one foot stop. It's not pretty but it gets the job done. Oddly enough, I can stop perfectly to both sides on skis.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I never even thought about having a strong or weak side. I guess I'm lucky my coaches over the years trained us well enough to stop either way naturally. Now that I think of it I remember the drills, manmakers; the coach would have us stop facing the boards on the left, then right, then left, etc, etc.

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:43 PM
CapsChemist

Ive been playing inline hockey for a while and i find it hard to stop on my natural side in inline because the mechanics of stopping are different i think. On ice you can skid to a stop. In inline i need to make a really tight turn in order to skid to a stop. Maybe that can help you stop on your weak side on ice?

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Slick

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it a try next public skate I hit.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote