HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2013, 03:31 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
2 more pts for Reway... I think he is our best prospect from the 2013 draft.
I love the way de la rose plays so I pick him gregoire is doing good aswell.

Old
11-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
I love the way de la rose plays so I pick him gregoire is doing good aswell.
Yep, it's just that Reway skill level is off the charts.

Still lots of time left but I only see De La Rose challenging Reway. Gregoire has cooled down and doesn't have the skill level of Reway.

Old
11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
That

vCash: 500
Watched the Spitfires-Knights game today. Good game for both Habs prospects involved in the 3-1 win for the Knights.

McCarron played on a line with Brett Welychka and Kyle Platzer. McCarron's first period was probably the best period of hockey he's played as Knight. In the second he saw very little ice time, as there was lots of special teams play (he lost his spot on the second PP unit a while back). Every single time he was on the ice he made something happen. He kept it simple and dominated along the boards. Fired lots of shots on goal, but the goalie came up with quite a few big saves. He forced some turnovers and at one point dangled around two defenders and then got a nice backhand shot off. He was on the ice for the Knights' first goal and the first Spitfires' goal.

Vail played on a line with Steven Janes and Cristiano DiGiacinto. He was matched up against the Domi-Tierney-Marner line quite a bit. He was fairly quiet offensively until the second period, where he nailed a shot off the crossbar and then he started getting quite a few chances. Defensively, he blew coverage twice, one resulted in the eventual game-winning goal. The shift following that error, he got a loose puck in the circle and sniped his 9th goal of the season.

Last edited by That: 11-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old
11-10-2013, 03:47 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Yep, it's just that Reway skill level is off the charts.

Still lots of time left but I only see De La Rose challenging Reway. Gregoire has cooled down and doesn't have the skill level of Reway.
Lehkonen's skill level is off the charts too, and he's bigger (marginally), significantly better defensively and already has lots of experience playing against men.

I'd also say it's too early to say that "Gregoire has cooled down." Yeah, his ridiculous point streak came to end (it was going to anyways), but he's only been held pointless for like what, four periods of play now?

Anyways here's some interesting stats about Reway:

1. 21 of his 24 points have come in his last 12 games (he's played 18 in total).

2. He has points in 11 out of his 18 games and he's had a multipoint night in 9 of those games.

3. Last season, he shot at 17.1%. This season he has just 6 goals and is shooting at 9.4%

Old
11-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Et le But

As much as Lehkonen hasn't been producing, it's not his fault, his team is horrible. Bad luck too, he's shooting like 3%.

Quote:
Lehkonen is playing on the worst team in the top Finnish league, as KalPa has only 5 wins in 20 games, only 4 of which are in regulation. On that poor team, he leads everyone in points with 11, with the next closest being 8.

More impressive than that though, is that he has 84 shots in those 20 games, while playing 16.31 minutes per game. That works out to 15.45 shots per 60 minutes of ice time, which is also the highest on his team.
Yet another reason not to judge prospects on points.

Old
11-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
And another pt for Reway.

26 pts in 18 games now.

EDIT: And he scores now... lol

Old
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
petoNHL

vCash: 505
Réway leads the Q in shorthanded assists (4).

Old
11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
ChoseLa

Love Reway. I hope he can translate those skills on an NHL ice.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:08 PM
That

Videos of Martin Reway's performance from the past couple nights:

4 Points versus Charlottetown:

4 Points versus Moncton:

It worth mentioning that despite his 4 points, he nearly cost the Olympiques the game. He got too fancy on a chance to bury the Wildcats with the empty netter and missed. He then knocked the net off its moorings, picking up a delay of game penalty with a minute remaining. Moncton thought they scored with 0.5 seconds left, but it was luckily waved off.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Stive Morgan
Habland

vCash: 50
I am actually so glad that Vancouver took Jordan Subban because Reway is better IMO

Old
11-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yet another reason not to judge prospects on points.
Lehkonen is playing with men. McCarron is one of the biggest player in Juniors. Apples and oranges.

Old
11-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Lehkonen is playing with men. McCarron is one of the biggest player in Juniors. Apples and oranges.
I wasn't just talking about McCarron, but all our prospects in general there's an obsession with producing now. See Collberg.

Though yes, Lehkonen is outplaying both Collberg and McCarron right now. But context matters.

Old
11-10-2013, 10:01 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
I wasn't just talking about McCarron, but all our prospects in general there's an obsession with producing now. See Collberg.

Though yes, Lehkonen is outplaying both Collberg and McCarron right now. But context matters.
Again for Collberg, it's mostly about the kind of player he is. I don't see him thriving in the NHL against guys that are bigger and faster than him. Not big enough, not fast enough, not dynamic enough. Guys like Lehkonen and Hudon aren't the biggest, but they seem to have the "fire" inside to charge to net and go in the tough areas.

I'm a lot less "worried" about McCarron or De La Rose. We won't see them in the NHL next year, but we will eventually.

Old
11-10-2013, 11:11 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Again for Collberg, it's mostly about the kind of player he is. I don't see him thriving in the NHL against guys that are bigger and faster than him. Not big enough, not fast enough, not dynamic enough. Guys like Lehkonen and Hudon aren't the biggest, but they seem to have the "fire" inside to charge to net and go in the tough areas.

I'm a lot less "worried" about McCarron or De La Rose. We won't see them in the NHL next year, but we will eventually.
Collberg is a much better skater than Hudon. He's also bigger, and stronger. Hudon is far from dynamic, he likes to slow the play down, control the puck, use the wideness of ice.

Collberg is more direct in his offensive approach, he's a triggerman.

Old
11-11-2013, 10:18 AM
That

After scoring 14 points in his first 11 games, Connor Crisp has been held pointless for 9 straight now. Surprisingly enough, he still sits fourth in team scoring behind the Wolves' top line of Pancel-Campagna-Baptiste. Sudbury has essentially been a one line team since Jacob Harris, the usual centre between Connor Crisp and Dominik Kubalik (who has been held pointless for 8 games now), went down with injury. In the last 9 games the remaining three lines have scored a grand total of 11 points between the 10 players that suited up. The team's leading scorer, Mathew Campagna has more points in the past 9 games than the entire bottom 9.

Anyways, Crisp is co-leading the OHL in penalty minutes with 57 and has 5 fighting majors, but only 4 will count to his 10 fight limit.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

I still don't see how Collberg is slow, he's not the fastest player ever by any means but I'm always impressed with his skating when I see him and he's healthy. He was sluggish in the last WJC because he was injured.

The one thing I'm really concerned about with Collberg is his hockey IQ, at the adult level he's really struggling to learn how to use his linemates properly.

There's reasons to be skeptical but I still think he has a much higher offensive upside than McCarron and DLR, but he could go either way. Look at Jakob Silfverberg for instance, he had crappy stats until he turned into a PPG player the year he turned 21. You can't really compare Collberg and De La Rose beyond the fact that they are both Swedes.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I understand that he has trouble finding the net and all...but how the heck did McCarron lose his job on the PP....2? To me it doesn't make any sense. There are reports out there that he is working hard, creating chances, just not going in...well how about having some PP time to get his confidence going if that's a problem? Honestly, we were talking about him as a surefire top 6 player and for sure a PP#1...so obviously he's not top 6 anymore but can't even get in the PP2?

As far as Collberg is concerned, incredible how fast things are going. I'm pretty sure that Collberg was, outside of the 1st round, the prospect we were the most excited to hear the Habs call his name for maybe the past 10 years....and now there's already talks that he's just never going to make it. Still have confidence in him, still believe that it was the worst decision of his life to stay in Sweden and not play CHL hockey....but he has some great qualities that has to make him a great prospect for us. Really can't believe we can already penciled him as a future career AHL'er or something....

Old
11-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Et le But

Speaking of Collberg, he got 3 assists on Saturday in his U20 game. DLR got 1.

Still interesting how Collberg is so flat out dominant against players his own age, despite his struggles against adults. Maybe it's time he starts doing steroids or something. However, according to those who are better at number crunching than I am, Collberg's possession stats are quite good considering the circumstances, so the idea that he is completely lost out there against adults isn't true. So no, he's not a bust yet.

On the other hand, Lehkonen, despite no goal in 14 games, is generating 4 shots a game against adults despite only playing ~17 minutes a game on an awful team. He's shooting 3% right now. If he can stay healthy he will move up our depth chart quickly.

Last edited by Et le But: 11-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old
11-11-2013, 11:32 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
I still don't see how Collberg is slow, he's not the fastest player ever by any means but I'm always impressed with his skating when I see him and he's healthy. He was sluggish in the last WJC because he was injured.

The one thing I'm really concerned about with Collberg is his hockey IQ, at the adult level he's really struggling to learn how to use his linemates properly.

There's reasons to be skeptical but I still think he has a much higher offensive upside than McCarron and DLR, but he could go either way. Look at Jakob Silfverberg for instance, he had crappy stats until he turned into a PPG player the year he turned 21. You can't really compare Collberg and De La Rose beyond the fact that they are both Swedes.
Silfverberg showed constant development throughout his SEL career. 0.33 ppg at 19, 0.64 ppg at 20 and 1.10 ppg at 21. If Collberg manages to get 30 or so points this year, I'd be more than satisfied.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Speaking of Collberg, he got 3 assists on Saturday in his U20 game. DLR got 1.

Still interesting how Collberg is so flat out dominant against players his own age, despite his struggles against adults. Maybe it's time he starts doing steroids or something. However, according to those who are better at number crunching than I am, Collberg's possession stats are quite good considering the circumstances, so the idea that he is completely lost out there against adults isn't true. So no, he's not a bust yet.

On the other hand, Lehkonen, despite no goal in 14 games, is generating 4 shots a game against adults despite only playing ~17 minutes a game on an awful team. He's shooting 3% right now. If he can stay healthy he will move up our depth chart quickly.
If Collberg would be playing in the CHL right now, we'd be calling the pick an incredible one. He would not have "McCarronned" (having trouble adapting...) or if he would, I believe his natural talent would have start much sooner to be as productive as we think he could be.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If Collberg would be playing in the CHL right now, we'd be calling the pick an incredible one. He would not have "McCarronned" (having trouble adapting...) or if he would, I believe his natural talent would have start much sooner to be as productive as we think he could be.
More and more, I wish Collberg found a way to escape to the CHL..not because it necessarily would have effected his development much (Sweden still has the best recent track record of producing NHLers in Europe), but because we could use a little more irrational excitement around here. The kid destroys players his own age.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Watched the Spitfires-Knights game today. Good game for both Habs prospects involved in the 3-1 win for the Knights.

McCarron played on a line with Brett Welychka and Kyle Platzer. McCarron's first period was probably the best period of hockey he's played as Knight. In the second he saw very little ice time, as there was lots of special teams play (he lost his spot on the second PP unit a while back). Every single time he was on the ice he made something happen. He kept it simple and dominated along the boards. Fired lots of shots on goal, but the goalie came up with quite a few big saves. He forced some turnovers and at one point dangled around two defenders and then got a nice backhand shot off. He was on the ice for the Knights' first goal and the first Spitfires' goal.

Vail played on a line with Steven Janes and Cristiano DiGiacinto. He was matched up against the Domi-Tierney-Marner line quite a bit. He was fairly quiet offensively until the second period, where he nailed a shot off the crossbar and then he started getting quite a few chances. Defensively, he blew coverage twice, one resulted in the eventual game-winning goal. The shift following that error, he got a loose puck in the circle and sniped his 9th goal of the season.
Not that i care as much about McCarron's point totals as everyone else, but i will say that i saw this coming to an extent. There was a very good chance that he would not see a lot of top 6, PP minutes in his first season with the Knights, that they would build him up slowly, whereas he would have probably been one of the stars of his team if he gone the college route. I initially was a proponent of him going to that route because of these very issues, but I've decided that London is the best place for him because the Hunter's will get him to where he needs to be over the next couple of years.

Mccarron will never be a player who creates offence on his own, so its no wonder that he's not raking so far this year. Also, i think he'll be player that will be searching for his identity the next couple of seasons. I'm confident he'll figure it out in London. It's still hard to know if he'll be more like Blake Wheeler, who plays more of a finesse game, or David Clarkson, who plays more of in front of the net type game.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Videos of Martin Reway's performance from the past couple nights:

4 Points versus Charlottetown:

4 Points versus Moncton:

It worth mentioning that despite his 4 points, he nearly cost the Olympiques the game. He got too fancy on a chance to bury the Wildcats with the empty netter and missed. He then knocked the net off its moorings, picking up a delay of game penalty with a minute remaining. Moncton thought they scored with 0.5 seconds left, but it was luckily waved off.
One thing i noticed was his play on the point on the powerplay, he KEEPS firing shots on net and something always seems to happen, i like that

Old
11-11-2013, 01:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
One thing i noticed was his play on the point on the powerplay, he KEEPS firing shots on net and something always seems to happen, i like that
We should introduce him to Diaz.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
We should introduce him to Diaz.
HELL no, reway probably looks UP to diaz, and if they come into contact, Diaz will simply tell him "hey martin..you know all that stuff you were doing on the powerplay in junior so well like sending shots thru to the net? well FORGET it all big guy, its even EASIER than you think!! im on the habs powerPLAY homie!"

Closed Thread