vCash: 500
Ducks Lineup Discussion (Part III)

Continued from Part II [LINK].

Old
11-11-2013, 12:16 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Trade Hiller. Play Andersen. Fasth as backup. Gibson as insurance.

I doubt anyone agrees but I'm confident enough.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:16 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

I have a feeling Sbisa's getting playing time right now only in hopes that his trade value is boosted.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Exit Dose

It doesn't work that way. Not to mention, that the things that would make him more coveted would likely lead us not to trade him.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Sian
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

Might rather trade Fasth if a conditioning stint in AHL doesn't show that he's back in form but otherwise i'd be willing to take that bet as well

Nice with positive problems through

Old
11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

I know there are a lot of Sbisa supporters on this board, but he hasn't looked good at all this season. He continues to choose poor times to pinch, gets caught out of place (see Vancouver goal last night), and makes mistakes for this team.

I'm not saying that all what he is doing is bad, but he has made quite a few noticable mistakes that are hemming us in our own zone.

With the rise of Lindholm and Vatanen, (and the eminent return of Souray), we have at least 8 quality NHL defensemen on the roster now. Someone should be expendable at this point, and in my opinion it's Sbisa.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:45 PM
DarthYenik

Am I wrong, right now, for regretting every bad thing I've said about Bob Murray? I mean, I watch this team play, and I'm not seeing any players who I am completely disappointed in. Every player seems like they are bringing SOMETHING to the table. Maybe I'm just blinded by all the "W's" but I love this team almost as much as the 07 team.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Fasth and Andersen have 0 playoff games between them. It's possible the Ducks can contend for the cup this year, so I'd rather hold onto Hiller. I would also prefer to trade Allen over Sbisa. I know Allen has been solid this year, but he's making a lot of money for a bottom pairing defenseman and he's declining. Ideally Souray would be the odd man out, but that's not happening with his contract/injury.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:47 PM

vCash: 350
NYI are desperate for defensemen right now. Maybe they'll overpay for Sbisa.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
NYI are desperate for defensemen right now. Maybe they'll overpay for Sbisa.
Maybe, but what constitutes an overpayment for Sbisa isn't necessarily something that we need.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:55 PM
parrosfan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvs View Post
Fasth and Andersen have 0 playoff games between them. It's possible the Ducks can contend for the cup this year, so I'd rather hold onto Hiller. I would also prefer to trade Allen over Sbisa. I know Allen has been solid this year, but he's making a lot of money for a bottom pairing defenseman and he's declining. Ideally Souray would be the odd man out, but that's not happening with his contract/injury.
And Hiller has a bunch and hasn't proved he can win in them.

Old
11-11-2013, 12:55 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:

Count me in. Hiller is just not good enough game in, game out. I've been VERY impressed with Andersen. I think he's the real deal and I would love to see us move on from Hiller finally. I don't think Bob will be that bold but a goalie needs to be moved and the least deserving one right now is Andersen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
I know there are a lot of Sbisa supporters on this board, but he hasn't looked good at all this season. He continues to choose poor times to pinch, gets caught out of place (see Vancouver goal last night), and makes mistakes for this team.

I'm not saying that all what he is doing is bad, but he has made quite a few noticable mistakes that are hemming us in our own zone.

With the rise of Lindholm and Vatanen, (and the eminent return of Souray), we have at least 8 quality NHL defensemen on the roster now. Someone should be expendable at this point, and in my opinion it's Sbisa.
I completely agree. Last night was a good example of everything I hate about Sbisa. He misses the net, all the time. His pinches are worse than Vatanen's. He left Sestito way too open for that goal. He fumbles the puck a lot. His outlet passes aren't accurate. He plays the body well, I'll give him that. But he's easily our least effective d-man right now. I'd much rather have Vatanen in the lineup. At least can get the puck up to the forwards quickly and provide some offense.

Basically down with Swiss!

Old
11-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrosfan16 View Post
He has ten playoff wins.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
JeffShibley

Quote:

I agree completly. It will be a shame when we have to send our best goalie (Andersen) down to the minors when Fasth comes back. Trade Hiller just to keep Andersen with the team.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrosfan16 View Post
He's been in the playoffs twice, and was a beast the first time. Fasth has 28 NHL games, no playoff games, no Olympic games and is prone to injuries. Andersen has 6 NHL games, 0 playoff games, but barring injury he'll be playing for Denmark in Sotchi. Hiller has over 300 games of NHL experience, including 20 playoff games with good numbers, and will have played in the Olympics twice come playoff time.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:32 PM
btlaffin
Deathbat

Quote:

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvs View Post
How much experience did Giguere have in 2003 when he won the Conn Smythe?

Last edited by btlaffin: 11-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by btlaffin View Post
I agree

How much experience did Giguere have in 2003 when he won the Conn Smythe?
A ton more than Fasth and Andersen have combined. No playoff games, but 172 regular season games, two seasons above 92svs% as a starter, and made Canadas World Championship roster twice (only got to play the 2nd time, but that's the most difficult WC roster to make). He made a name for himself around the league during the 03 cup run, but he had been good for a fairly long time already.

The Mighty Ducks didn't enter the 2003 playoffs as a contender either. They got in as a 7th seed, and missed the playoffs the three or four years prior to that. If the Ducks fall this season to a low seed come trade deadline, I'd move Hiller. But if we're looking like a contender at that point, I'd feel better entering the postseason with Hiller/Andersen than Fasth/Andersen, especially since the latter could end up being Gibson/Andersen as Fasth seems to struggle with groin issues.

Last edited by Elvs: 11-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post

I'm in no way defending Sbisa's **** ups but you have also just described Sami's play this year. He's made all of those mistakes multiple times this year and also been hemmed in his own end more than once. And except for his goal, he hasn't hit the net once on any shot. They are different types of players but both have been making the same mistakes.

If we can fix him, Sbisa brings things (mainly physicality, toughness, and grit) to the table that we need and don't otherwise have. My point isn't about Luca vs Sami but it is about recognizing that we don't have anybody who is a clear upgrade over Luca now.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
tANNERRRR54

I have never much cared for Hiller. People naturally blame the defense for the goals...but Hiller isn't a goalie that can win us games. He can make routine saves (sometimes he can't even do that), but he very rarely makes a spectacular save to keep us in the game. He doesn't bail out the defense like elite goaltenders do. He needs to make those unstoppable saves and help us out. I just don't see him doing that.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Who's going to be the better player for you guys in a year or two... Silfverbergcor Etem?

Old
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Who's going to be the better player for you guys in a year or two... Silfverbergcor Etem?
Thats comparing apples to oranges.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Paul4587

Probably Silfverberg but that's a tough one to project.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Am I the only one that thinks Theodore will be better than Fowler? I have watched his last 3 games and wow he has size, can skate with the best of them but best of all his shot is amazing he gets it through every single time. Man between Fowler, Lindholm, Theodore, Gibson plus our forward prospects it's gonna be amazing

Old
11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffShibley View Post
I agree completly. It will be a shame when we have to send our best goalie (Andersen) down to the minors when Fasth comes back. Trade Hiller just to keep Andersen with the team.
I understand what people are saying. Anderson certainly looks ready for the NHL.

But why make a position of great strength a question mark going into the rest of the 65 or so games the Ducks have left to play?

Both Hiller and Fasth have shown they are prone to injuries, which makes having Anderson that much more valuable going into the rest of the season and playoffs.

People should look at the value of having 3 goalies who can play NHL minutes, rather than being so quick to trade away an asset simply because the Ducks have a surplus. This team isn't borderline anymore. They are contenders. Going into the second half of the season and playoffs with Hiller/Fasth then allowing Hiller to walk is the right move for a solid playoff team. Sure you won't get an asset in return for Hiller, but you will gain 4.5 million in cap space which can help solidify another position where maybe the Ducks aren't as strong.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Nation View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Theodore will be better than Fowler? I have watched his last 3 games and wow he has size, can skate with the best of them but best of all his shot is amazing he gets it through every single time. Man between Fowler, Lindholm, Theodore, Gibson plus our forward prospects it's gonna be amazing
Probably, considering Fowler was just instrumental in shutting down the Sedin twins.