HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dryland Training

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2006, 08:41 PM
  #1
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Dryland Training

What sort of dryland training techniques do you guys do? No links please, just share personal experience, what works, what you did one year during the offseason that you didn't like so you stopped, what you really like, something new you learned, etc would be awesome. I've got about a month before my roller hockey season picks up again and I want to get some good training in.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
  #2
Slick
Registered User
 
Slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
I just started hitting the bikes at the gym. Can't really give any experience since I just started doing it, but I think it will help endurance.

I practice puck handling when I'm watching TV sometimes. Dont know if you ever tried squats using just your body weight. If you have a pole in your basement, grab it, put your feet close to it, lean as far back as you can and do squats that way. You'll definently feel a burn that way.

One guy mentioned going running in the weight lifting thread, running up hills, etc.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
  #3
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Thanks a lot!

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:16 AM
  #4
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Also focus heavily on your core muscles such as your abdominal region. Every action you do in hockey, hell, pretty much every physical exercize you do involves these muscles.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:07 AM
  #5
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
Why no link? I'm going to break that rule because this link has awesome office training exercises from NHL professionals with video descriptions. http://www.nikebauer.com/ training--->exercises.
It's really all you need.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 03:40 AM
  #6
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
High intensity interval training is really good in terms of a cardio-workout. Concentrating on the core muscles is also highly recommended.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:10 AM
  #7
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Why no link? I'm going to break that rule because this link has awesome office training exercises from NHL professionals with video descriptions. http://www.nikebauer.com/ training--->exercises.
It's really all you need.
I second that, it works.
Also I have a sheet of synthetic ice (really just a piece plastic) that I stickhandle on when I'm watching TV. That is until my wife begs me to stop.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:04 AM
  #8
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
Also I have a sheet of synthetic ice (really just a piece plastic) that I stickhandle on when I'm watching TV. That is until my wife begs me to stop.
I stickhandle in the basement while the laundry's going -- upstairs our cat would chase the ball and my wife would be climbing the walls. I'm using one of those quick-hands balls but the problem is that it's taller than a puck. When I try to stickhandle a puck on ice it often slides under my stick because I'm so used to the ball. I just read that I should be using the heel or toe of the blade, so that might be the difference. I need a lot of work in this area anyway.

For a more explosive stride sprinting up hills is great. Just remember to fully extend that back leg as you would on the ice.

For balance/core strength I took a 4-week yoga class. It helped a lot -- I'm much more aware of my posture while skating, which muscle groups I'm using, etc. I also learned some very effective stretches for my lower back and legs.

Interval training is great for cardio. I don't have the self discipline to jog or to time my intervals so I sometimes use a stationary bike at the gym which has an interval program built in.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:22 AM
  #9
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bergen NJ Xanadu
Country: United States
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
What sort of dryland training techniques do you guys do? No links please, just share personal experience, what works, what you did one year during the offseason that you didn't like so you stopped, what you really like, something new you learned, etc would be awesome. I've got about a month before my roller hockey season picks up again and I want to get some good training in.
WannaBeBig.com has a "sports-specific" section in its message boards. If you do a forum search under "hockey" or just browse all the messages, you can get tips, ideas and advice from others.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:28 AM
  #10
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Hey thanks a lot guys, the reason why I stated no links in the original post was because I wanted to hear from people what they did and what they think works, not like a regimen some guy put up on a website. I wanted to see basically what people follow from other links.

You guys have been really helpful, thanks a lot!

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
  #11
hckyguy14
Registered User
 
hckyguy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Country: United States
Posts: 10,271
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
I second that, it works.
Also I have a sheet of synthetic ice (really just a piece plastic) that I stickhandle on when I'm watching TV. That is until my wife begs me to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I stickhandle in the basement while the laundry's going -- upstairs our cat would chase the ball and my wife would be climbing the walls.

You guys are making me think twice about getting married. They just seem to get in the way of hockey

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
  #12
yankeecpt15
Registered User
 
yankeecpt15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CT
Country: Ireland
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
treadmill...
5 min warmup
10 min...7% incline..20 secs @ 7 mph 40 secs @ 5 mph
5 min...3% incline...5.5 mph
5 min..7% incline..20 secs @ 7 mph 40 secs @ 5 mph
5 min..1%...5 mph
cooldown

do it once a week..increase incline or speed after 4 weeks

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:38 PM
  #13
Avery4Byng*
 
Avery4Byng*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
It will be easier when you get older and start beer league hockey. Drink as much beer as you can all week then get on the ice and play your *** off.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 11:20 PM
  #14
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyguy14 View Post
You guys are making me think twice about getting married. They just seem to get in the way of hockey
LOL. We made a compromise. I can only practice when I am watching hockey, not during her shows.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
  #15
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent of the Cleric View Post
High intensity interval training is really good in terms of a cardio-workout. Concentrating on the core muscles is also highly recommended.
Winner. HIIT burns 9-10x more fat than regular cardio sessions do.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 07:38 PM
  #16
yotesfan92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Hockeyshot.net has a good workout. I usually never sweat, but this workout actually made me.

yotesfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:17 PM
  #17
Hank19*
 
Hank19*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
What sort of dryland training techniques do you guys do? No links please, just share personal experience, what works, what you did one year during the offseason that you didn't like so you stopped, what you really like, something new you learned, etc would be awesome. I've got about a month before my roller hockey season picks up again and I want to get some good training in.
In my own personal experience the only thing that has really been beneficial to my game is running and squats.

I have tried rollerblading, rollerblading with ankle weights, stationary bikes, spinning classes, sprinting and even skipping.
Eventually I realised that what worked wonders for me was running.
When I was in college I joined an intramural hockey league. At the same time I had joined a boxing gym. As everyone knows, running to boxers is like swimming to swimmers. The first hockey game I had I didn't need to leave the ice.

Eventually I stopped boxing and therefore stopped running. I joined several mens rec leagues afterwards but I never had as much wind as I did when I boxed.
I hated running so I did all of the above to gain strength and endurance.

Eventually I started hitting the weights and really focused on lower body strength. Heavy squats, lunges, leg presses, etc. That helped greatly. And then I also incorporated running 3 times a week. I can't tell you the difference it made.
When I finally started running again it was during our Christmas Holiday break from the league. So I had 2.5 weeks to get into running. Before that, I was sucking wind by the end of the 1st period. After the break? I couldn't believe how much energy and wind I had.

That's my own experience. I'm sure others have different stories. But for me, the stationary bike and the rest didn't do squat for my endurance in games.
And from my own experience HIIT training helped me burn fat but didn't necessarily help with my endurance on the ice.
Case in point: A guy in my league is into mixed martial arts and tough man competitions. He trains using the HIIT technique. But when he's on the ice he's tired like everyone else half way through the game. On his same team there's a marathon runner. The guy's built like Screech but he skates forever and never gets tired.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:08 AM
  #18
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
In my own personal experience the only thing that has really been beneficial to my game is running and squats.

I have tried rollerblading, rollerblading with ankle weights, stationary bikes, spinning classes, sprinting and even skipping.
Eventually I realised that what worked wonders for me was running.
When I was in college I joined an intramural hockey league. At the same time I had joined a boxing gym. As everyone knows, running to boxers is like swimming to swimmers. The first hockey game I had I didn't need to leave the ice.

Eventually I stopped boxing and therefore stopped running. I joined several mens rec leagues afterwards but I never had as much wind as I did when I boxed.
I hated running so I did all of the above to gain strength and endurance.

Eventually I started hitting the weights and really focused on lower body strength. Heavy squats, lunges, leg presses, etc. That helped greatly. And then I also incorporated running 3 times a week. I can't tell you the difference it made.
When I finally started running again it was during our Christmas Holiday break from the league. So I had 2.5 weeks to get into running. Before that, I was sucking wind by the end of the 1st period. After the break? I couldn't believe how much energy and wind I had.

That's my own experience. I'm sure others have different stories. But for me, the stationary bike and the rest didn't do squat for my endurance in games.
And from my own experience HIIT training helped me burn fat but didn't necessarily help with my endurance on the ice.
Case in point: A guy in my league is into mixed martial arts and tough man competitions. He trains using the HIIT technique. But when he's on the ice he's tired like everyone else half way through the game. On his same team there's a marathon runner. The guy's built like Screech but he skates forever and never gets tired.
I train using both HIIT technique as well as just long freakin' runs, mixing it up every now and again and find that it really works for me. Mind you I look like a freakin' twig (6'2" 160lbs) and am generally outweighed by 40 or so pounds, but the wonders of strong legs can knock just about anyone over.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.