HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Development of ice hockey in exotic places

Old
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec72894 View Post
In my last 2 hometowns in southern Italy and South Africa, sadly nobody knows about hockey it's all soccer and rugby, iknow Cape Town has a nice ice hockey rink and a league going on there, but nothing near me.
I went to the ice rink in Cape Town back in 2011. With such a massive population of wealthy European-descended individuals, I'm shocked that hockey isn't bigger in South Africa (or Namibia for that matter). I know it's all about the Springboks, Bafana Bafana and the Proteas, but the ice hockey team should be better than it is. I guess the climate doesn't allow for it. Heck, they were even hosting the WC div III just around the time I visited, so there must be some casual interest amongst people.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I went to the ice rink in Cape Town back in 2011. With such a massive population of wealthy European-descended individuals, I'm shocked that hockey isn't bigger in South Africa (or Namibia for that matter). I know it's all about the Springboks, Bafana Bafana and the Proteas, but the ice hockey team should be better than it is. I guess the climate doesn't allow for it. Heck, they were even hosting the WC div III just around the time I visited, so there must be some casual interest amongst people.
I think alot has to do with their location, they can only get better by playing against themselves and the playing yearly world championships, many euro teams and even some asian teams can just travel a few hundred miles to another country to play a tournament etc..

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:56 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Read the Tropic of Hockey by Dave Bidini.

Hockey continues to develop in the UAE. Sadly like many other countries it takes a back seat to other sports, specifically football.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
torero

ice hockey is a spectacular sport.

Of course quality games make it also atractive.

I witnessed a training of a team at the "vilaggio" in Doha, Qatar !! Awesome.

A comment to add is that at 5cts or 10 cts the litter of oil (current price at the tank station), having a ice hockey arena makes more sense than in countries where you pay 1 or 2 dollars the litter of oil !!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
ice hockey is a spectacular sport.

Of course quality games make it also atractive.

I witnessed a training of a team at the "vilaggio" in Doha, Qatar !! Awesome.

A comment to add is that at 5cts or 10 cts the litter of oil (current price at the tank station), having a ice hockey arena makes more sense than in countries where you pay 1 or 2 dollars the litter of oil !!
I dont think its that cheap. Probably near 30-40 cents per litre.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote